You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Grinning Entity And Random Spooks

Real Ghost Stories

Grinning Entity And Random Spooks

 

A little background info, I am an only child and generally have the entire house to myself. My parents both work a lot and they are frequently out of town. Our house is fairly large, and it feels even bigger when I'm home alone. Luckily, I have 2 cats that keep me company.

My family is not religious either and we're basically agnostic. I have always been very fascinated by the paranormal, occult, and unknown ever since I was mature enough to grasp the concept, but I was also a major skeptic because I've never experienced anything myself. While I secretly wish for a paranormal experience just to prove me wrong, I also have this paranoia and fear that something random will pop out at me and scare the living daylights out of me.

Anyways, this event happened to me when I was about 16 years old, maybe 4 months after I had moved into this house. This house is fairly new, and there has only been one family living here before us. I am currently 23 and still live at the same house as this experience. Before this, I had never had anything too unusual happen to me.

Several years ago, I was sleeping in my room at night. I was in high school and had class the next day, so I had went to bed pretty early.

I remember suddenly waking up in the middle of the night. I instinctively looked at the clock. It was 2:10 AM. Normally, I have problems falling asleep and staying asleep, but this time was different. It felt like 'something' beckoned me awake.

Anyways, I tried to get out of bed, assuming I just had to go to the bathroom and get some water. As I tried to sit up, I realized I couldn't move. I felt completely awake, but my body felt like it was paralyzed or something. I was a little confused, but this didn't freak me out for some reason. But what did freak me out was the sudden distinct feeling of a presence in the room. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it was a very clear, vivid feeling that something wanted me to know that it was in the room, or that I could "sense" it.

I was able to look around and I could see my room very clearly. The moon was shining through my window blinds, so there was a little bit of light illuminating the room. I started to get really scared, because I still couldn't move any part of my body except my eyes. How long was this going to last?

The next thing I felt was my vision getting kind of hazy. I realized after a few moments it wasn't my vision that was becoming hazy... There was a light smoky mist forming in front of my face. I watched, in a state of confusion and fear.

The ball of smoke started to get thicker and thicker, until it took on the appearance of a "face". Of course, this was scaring the living daylights out of me. I remember trying to scream or move, but I couldn't do anything. I was so terrified.

This entity seemed to know I was freaking out or something... It suddenly got this huge wicked grin on its face. All you can see is these huge hollow eye sockets and this scary, menacing grin. A moment later, I felt heavy pressure on my chest. It felt like something was pushing down on my chest or making it difficult for me to breathe.

I tried with all my will to scream or move or call for help or ANYTHING. It was such an unnatural feeling of terror. I thought for sure that something was trying to possess me. If possession really exists, I figured that was what I was experiencing. I felt the pressure on my chest continuing and pushing down harder. I didn't know what to do. I was scared for my life... I was convinced if this "spirit" had its way with me, I would lose a very vital part of my being.

The last thing I did was just praying for someone to help me. I don't know who or what's out there, but I whimpered inside my mind "If there's anything out there, watching or listening, please save me..." and just kept repeating it to myself.

And a moment later, I felt this presence disappear. It was incredible. And it wasn't even like "and THEN I woke up", it felt like it had really just happened a moment ago.

I couldn't go back to sleep the rest of the night, and I didn't want to wake my mom up to tell what had happened because she would just tell me it was a nightmare or she would think I was crazy. I just stayed up thinking about what had happened to me.

Was it real, or did I imagine it? Previously, I had not been a believer of "superstitious" or paranormal stuff, but this experienced changed all of that. The whole experience felt so real and was unlike anything I had ever experienced in my entire life. I wonder if it went away because I prayed or because it was just messing with me.

After that occurrence, there were 2 minor occasions where something odd has happened. One time, about 5 months later, I was in the kitchen cooking something. I was home alone at the time, and my cat was sitting on the window sill nearby. I had just turned the stove off and was about to sit down at the table to eat my food when one of my cats (not the one near me) suddenly darts from the living room into the basement. Something must have scared her because she ran so fast she knocked over a plant near the staircase.

I got up and walked towards the staircase (which is next to the living room) to place the plant back. Just as I get near the staircase, I hear this high pitched screeching sound. It didn't even sound human. It was very loud, almost like a scream, with an echoey, vibrating sound. The cat near me jumped off the sill and ran into the backyard. I was so scared at what the noise could be that I didn't even go into the living room, so I just left my house through the back yard and went to a friends place down the street until my parents came back from work. My parents called me later and asked me what happened to the plant, and when I told them what I thought happened, my parents just laughed it off.

The second time was when I was home alone as well, and I was doing homework on my laptop. I was in the basement and the door to the garage is pretty close, down the hallway. I was listening to some soft music, when I suddenly hear someone jiggle the doorknob in the garage. This immediately scares me, because the only way you can get in the garage is by going through the way where your car goes (I knew it was closed because our garage is extremely loud and shakes the house when it opens or closes) or obviously, from inside the house.

I muted my music on the laptop, put it down and turned on all the lights in my basement. It didn't happen, again, so I decided to calm down and try to go back to work. I turned off a couple of the lights, and then I heard the doorknob jiggle again. I assumed it could have been an intruder, rather than a ghost, so I decided to grab a kitchen knife (I wasn't really thinking), but after going to the kitchen, I decided to just go to my friends house again since I was too afraid of what I may encounter.

Other than that, everything is peachy keen here. Haven't had strange experiences for 5 years now. All of this happened in the span of probably 9 months.

Other hauntings by Kii

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kii, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

jazzeyjay (3 stories) (215 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-11)
Hey Kii,
You may have had sleep paralysis, but sleep paralysis doesn't jiggle door handles and frighten cats and make loud screaming sounds. I'm not an expert, but you said you were around the age of 16 when these things started and they only lasted about 9 months. Putting two and two together, it sounds to me like you were experiencing a classic case of Poltergeist activity. This activity is just negative energy generated by an adolescent boy or girl. These entities are also called noisy ghosts because they keep up so much noise, rapping and tapping on walls, ceilings and just being annoying. I thank God it's over for you and to answer your question. Yes, I believe your praying made the entity leave you alone. Prayer is powerful! If you ever have time, go online and research Poltergeist and see if the things you indured match some of the characteristics, you'll be surprised.

God Bless You Always!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-07)
Wow this was a very interesting story. I enjoyed reading it. I don't want to be religious here but I believe that praying is something special. It doesn't matter who you pray to but it sure can help a person. This was a great example. Laura said it best. Praying can move mountains. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Biemaster (7 stories) (192 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-04)
Hi Kii and thanks for sharing your story with us!

I think that your first encounter must have been sleep paralysis and the other encounters MIGHT have been just your cats. The others have said it all so I won't say much. Thanks and hope to reading more stories from you!

Biemaster
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-02)
I don't know if it's necessarily prayer that does it. I think it's inner strength. You really wanted whatever it was to go away and leave you alone, and your energy alone can do that. I agree with others that it may have been sleep paralysis that held you down, but it is possible that a spirit realized you were experiencing this and took advantage of the situation. I think during a time of panic is when you're at your weakest, which might explain why a lot of people sense or see things when in a state of paralysis.

If your family doesn't have a home alarm system, you might consider bringing it up to them. Home alarm systems can be installed for a relatively inexpensive price and it would rule out your fear of someone sneaking in. The technology they use is pretty cool and usually involves sensors placed in the windowsills and doorways throughout the house, and also include motion sensors that exclude household pets (cats) because of their size and body mass.

Good luck!
voulme16 (14 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-02)
wow you must have some bad history with ghost. I know I do it runs in my dads side of the famliy (I only see bad ghost) I hate that but its bad ir harmless I like the harmless 😊
Kii (3 stories) (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-01)
Thank you all for your replies. I do believe it could have been sleep paralysis, and I have researched that quite a bit. Which puzzles me is why the majority of the time that people experience sleep paralysis, they always see something there or 'feel' a presence. I have a friend who tells me this happens to him almost once a week and he's gotten used to it but wishes it wouldn't happen. He says he never sees anything but he always feels something there looking at him.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-01)
Sounds like a classic case of sleep paralysis to me coupled with what is known as a waking dream. I know it seemed real but that doesn't mean it was. This said, what you experienced in the kitchen and basement could be genuine poltergeist activity or your own kinetic energy gone wild. Teens and poltergeist activity usually go hand in hand. Also this is only happening when you are by yourself in the house. Should someone else experience it then it would have more credence. Always helps to have a witness. Not for honesty sake but just that 2 descriptions are better than one for validity. I do believe in a spirit world. Just not everything is supernatural. You express yourself very well with words. Maybe you are a writer in the making.
Demonbinder (66 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-30)
I agree with Laura. Prayer is the ultimate defense against this, and you lacked it, giving the demon all the authority it needed to mingle with you that night. Swift rebuking works each time, even tho many of them are extremely stubborn.
Laura1103 (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-30)
I wanted to thank you for sharing your story. It was well put together and very easy to read and understand. What I think that helped you out in your moment of need was your praying. Like it is said "Praying can move mountains".

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: