You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The House At 55 East Main St

Real Ghost Stories

The House At 55 East Main St

 

This is one of my many ghost/spirit experiences, but defiantly the most cherished. In 2003 when I just turned thirteen my mother and I moved to Middletown Delaware. My mom rented out an old "fee simple" house that was built in the 1700's so the possibility of it being haunted was expected. The day we first arrived I told my mom "let me scope the house out" [which meant let me walk through it alone and see what kind of vibe I get] I did this with every house we moved into.

As soon as I stepped in the house I felt a calming and peaceful aura immediately. Once I started walking around a bit I felt someone walking with me and in ways I cannot explain we engaged in a conversation without me actually talking out loud which was something I never experienced and even though very odd to me it did not scare me. The spirit that was talking to me was that of a little girl named Sara. She told me many thing about her house and her life. I felt so privileged to be welcomed into that house by the true owner.

The little girl told me that she was eight years old and she died of the flu [which back in the 1700's was a common killer] along with her father. I can't recall Sara's fathers name but I do remember his actions (which were in a way amusing). The little girl told me that her father enjoyed to drink and coincidently the bottles of vodka and such my mom had sitting on the mantel would oddly fill up or would become almost empty even when no one was there to drink them.

Another thing that Sara pointed out to me before anything happened was that her father did not like loud music and again coincidently every time my mom would have the music on it would always magically get turned down to almost a whisper. The house itself was amazing it was a fixer upper, not cosmetically pretty, but it had beauty beyond looks it had history. Sara showed me a little wooden panel that opened in the staircase that led to an underground railroad passage in the basement.

The most common thing that people noticed was foot steps being heard in the dining room... It wasn't exactly foot steps it was Sara dancing, it didn't take long to get used to that. After talking with Sara we realized we were meant to meet and me moving to the house felt like fate. The funny thing is that right after having my first conversation with Sara I told my mom everything she told me, which later was proof for all the strange happenings in the house.

But the thing that really surprised me was when the neighbor (that had lived in the house next door his entire life) attempted to tell me the story I told my mom about the girl and her father, but I finished his story before he started. My mother and I have since moved back to new jersey but I will forever remember Sara, her father, and the house at 55 East Main Street.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Delaware

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, oldsoul66, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Dunkinotto (1 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2017-12-19)
I know it's been sometime since this story was posted but, I grew up in Middletown. In the 80's I live just around the corner from this house on broad st. I use to see this same little girl you are referencing. Blonde girl about seven in a blue dress. My mom tells me I would point to nothing and tell her there is my friend Sara and then describe this same girl.
soupersoup78 (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-22)
Sara must have became your friend. Congrats on a ghost friend! 😁 Also, you are soooooo lucky.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-08)
Well I have to say that I realy enjoyed reading this story. It sure was creepy. Thanks fro sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
oldsoul66 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-07)
You have a good point mike... But I honestly have know idea, I just know that it was there.
Wildone (guest)
+2
15 years ago (2008-10-06)
The house was built in the 1700's, Sara passed away in the 1700's of influenza, and the Underground railroad had a reported substation little wooden panel that opened in the staircase that led to an underground railroad passage in the basement.
The important aspect of that is that in all of the articles that I just looked up about the Railroad in Delaware, that took place in the mid to late 19th century (around the 1850's) so depending on when this girl actually lived and died, she witnessed the start of, and the end of the Railroad in that house.
What a coincidence that the architect of the home built this hidden panel before the need was there. UNLESS there was a separate need for a secret passage BEFORE the Railroad. Do you know if there was one?
oldsoul66 (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-10-05)
Kelsiec-Im guessing its because sara and her father never really moved on to the spirit world. 😢

Rstahley-Thanks,cause its not fabricated, and I'm not a psycic or anything great like that, I suppose I was ment to talk to her specifially and not every spirit that I've come across.

TheUnknown-Yeah it was a nice warning for a change... And a friendly one at that 😆 I considered myself lucky to experience something so positive.

Prinsessnight-Thank you. Deffinatly cause I talked to her and she showed me around the house perfectly.
TigerLily (3 stories) (145 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-10-05)
Wow oldsoul66,

Thanks for your story, it really touched me!
I would love to meet a friendly ghost like Sara. Sara sure seems like a great friend and I'm sure she misses you a lot since you moved away. But you will always stay in her heart I'm sure!

Thanks again, Lily x

P.S. Because your story touched me so much, I added it to my favourite stories! 😁
prinsessnight (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-05)
😲 your storry is creepy and great at the same time I loved it it was ausome but did the little girl sara really live in that house? 😕
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-04)
This story is very good, and so is the conversation one, because you have talked to a ghost about its history and also Sara explaining to you that it was either her or her father making the happenings.
rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-10-04)
Well, I also googled the address and I found a house, next to a church. But anyway, I do not think it is right to say that this story is fabricated, because maybe you really do have the ability to connect to spirits, and if so, then you were very lucky to have met Sara, and I'm glad that you chose to share your experience with us.
kelsiec (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-04)
I've never seen a ghost before myself, but this is really interesting. Why do ghosts always stay in the same house, that they lived in when they died.
When I die, if I don't go to heaven or wherever dead people go, id want to haunt a big mansion, with a jacuzzi much more interesting, but I guess the house had memories, and her dad was still there, kinda, so you know? 😁
oldsoul66 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-04)
Zatiekins-Sara had long dirty blondish hair and she wore a very dated looking blue flowered dress that's all I really remember.I've moved since then unfortunatly 😢

CourtneyOMGG-Thanks,yeah it was a great experience... I miss her... 😕 is that weird...
courtneyOMGG (12 stories) (179 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-04)
This story is so nice, it's amazing that you managed to form such a strong connection with Sara!
zatiekins (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-04)
thats interesting. How does sara look like? What does she wear? When does you usually talk to her? Do you still talk to her?
oldsoul66 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-03)
It wasn't a church it was duplex [not the up/down kind it was attached with another house] The house is in the center of the town across from a meineke in Middletown, Delaware. The town of Middletown was first developed in the 1700's and most of the older people that live there will tell you that the first houses were built on main st.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-03)
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, antoher railroad passage, and as mentioned earlier, one in a church, and not from the 1700's...

God Bless
SnailBug (61 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-10-03)
I looked this address up on Google Earth, and it's a church...? Not from the 1700s, either.

Interesting story, though.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: