You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Chase House

Real Ghost Stories

The Chase House

 

This first picture is a current one showing the Chase House in Portsmouth, RI. The history: This house once belonged to a Mr. John Chase Portsmouth's state representative. The house itself is valued at about 6,500 dollars. The property it sits on is valued at about 1.6 million dollars.

The Chase House

The Story:

My wife (second wife, now married nearly 17yrs) and I simply love this house even in the state it's in currently. 6 years ago, mid fall we had asked a friend to watch our kids and had gone out on a date night. After dinner as we drove around the island (Newport, Portsmouth and Middletown RI are all located on an island) we drove past the house it was about 2330 (1130pm) and it was just something to do... As we passed we looked at each other and asked "Did you see...?" We kind of talked over each other because we had both seen what appeared to be a black door on the front of the house, what's more it looked like there were lights on either side of it. I turned around on a nearby street and we returned to the house.

Pulling up near it we got out and walked towards the front door, hoping that someone had started restoring the old house. The shrubs and trees were still overgrown but we could see the lights on either side of the door as we approached, once fully in front of the house we realized that the porch lights flickered as if they were gas lanterns and the door was a glossy black color with a brass knocker with windows on either side. We stood there, more confused than scared wondering why someone had started the restoration like this. The front of the house looked, well, not new, but well cared for, as if it had never fallen into disrepair.

We stood there thinking about knocking on the door and then deciding not to because we needed to get home to the kids. We left, drove off and talked about it all the way home... The one thing we both agreed on was that if we had knocked we knew...KNEW... Someone would answer.

The Chase House 2

We got home, paid the sitter, tucked the kids into bed, and went to bed ourselves. Next day while we were out we happened to be on the same road that the Chase House is on and as we drove past we noticed that the front was still all boarded up, windows, door, all of it. No work had been done, there was no fresh paint... nothing.

We still talk about this every once in a while and we are still both convinced that someone would have opened that door and asked us inside, but into where?

Here's what the house looked like in the 1890's and Yes that is Mr. John Chase out in front.

Other hauntings by rookdygin

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Rhode Island

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rookdygin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

CourtneyJean (2 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-01-13)
Exterior photos of home most recent. You can finally see it now that the vegetation is gone for the winter! The fence-style decor on the roof of the house is still there, just collapsed! The fact this house is over 200 years old and still intact is mind-boggling. It deserves its chance to shine again and to look like its former glory.

Http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy277/courtdemilio/Mobile%20Uploads/D14ACB61-B0AB-402D-97B0-12069D39BBED_zpstlzakghg.jpeg

Http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy277/courtdemilio/Mobile%20Uploads/88A2EFF0-6FDB-4B30-A95E-0CA6A5ADFD0A_zpszu2fe8o2.jpeg
(Almost the entire cast-iron ornate fence is still intact. They don't make 'em like they used to.)

Http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy277/courtdemilio/Mobile%20Uploads/668A69DF-63C4-4DD5-83B1-98FBB9E14FFD_zpssvht7w6p.jpeg
CourtneyJean (2 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-01-13)
I peered through the open window and took a video, though I can't upload it, so I took screen shots. Hopefully these links will work on your browser for the photos. I am beyond saddened this place was gutted. However, the potential is still there for a beautiful remodel. The beams, hardwoods, staircases, and old brick. One day, I WILL SAVE THIS HOUSE! Perhaps, original pieces to the home are stored somewhere else in the house waiting to be pieced back together!

Http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy277/courtdemilio/2C7D01E4-9900-4D04-9D74-F78ADC13AEE2_zpsnrwresm9.png
(The rear staircase)

Http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy277/courtdemilio/7A74EA84-62F9-4D09-93CA-6A73DC4CC56C_zps0o46kibi.png
(On the floor, it seems as though it might be the arched metal grate for the fire place)

Http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy277/courtdemilio/1721E139-D0FD-4984-80F8-BAE344F6D51B_zpsthtkigqd.png

Http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy277/courtdemilio/A24467D1-FB3A-428A-99F4-AA448E2B0DD5_zpsdo2mqsqf.png
(Showing behind the front door)

Http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy277/courtdemilio/0592FDFC-E981-4FE5-8A86-242AC5B45391_zpse3vvfu5f.png
(Zoomed in front staircase. Bottom step is bull-nose styled, with wrap around spindles that curve around the newel post)
sant22 (14 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-05-04)
WOW ROOK. That was one amazing heck of an experience to live with. I am new to YGS and I read all the comments to this story. In one of your comments you mentioned

"
(Kids are 19/15/13) Can't say I'd knock until my youngest is at least 17... So in 4 years, who knows... I think I'd knock if given a second chance.
"

Four years would have completed in either 16/17, now we are in 2018. My question is obvious? Have you revisited?

Pardon me if you have already wrote a story as I have not yet finished reading your stories.

Thanks
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-28)
Great account Rook! This truly falls into that category (as you mentioned the Vesailles case in another post) of "time-slips". It's an incredible thought that both you AND your wife felt someone would have answered the door had you knocked. An amazing experience.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-28)
13,

I am sorry I did not see your comment sooner. Thank you for reading.

To be honest if it had not been for our youngest child in the car sleeping we would have knocked on the door. We both wanted to but we both hesitated and asked each other if we should... And we both had the same answer... If 'bear' (his nickname) was not in the car we would have knocked.

As far as what we felt? I was amazed at what I was seeing... All the while wondering why the restoration seemed to start with the front door. My wife was excited that it looked like someone was finally doing something with the property.

Thanks.

Respectfully,

Rook
ThirteenStars15 (3 stories) (31 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-14)
I remember reading this around 2012 when I was searching on stories of 'Time Travelling' via Google.

And because of this story, I knew this site and begin reading the stories posted here.

I was amazed at how many people actually had encountered so many different variety of paranormal experiences.

I won't say that I have much experiences, but I do acknowledge that there are many things that couldn't be explained by science. (Due to family members having some kind of psychic abilities or sort)

So in 2013, I decided to finally create an account... But only until recently I decided to submit a story...

And now, finally...
I have a question to ask you that I wanted to ask in 2012 but I didnt...

What was you and your wife's feelings as you approach the house... And what made you both decide on not knocking the door?

I mean usually if I am curious, I would knock on the door to see who will answer it. Or perhaps its just me... Cause I am those type when warned not to touch the wall because of wet paint, I will touch it to confirm it myself... And getting my finger covered with paint...hehe...

And last but not least...
I am a huge fan of yours! I love reading your stories and comments! (Mannn I sound like a stalker:X) 😆

Oh oh! And sorry for posting such a long and redundant comment...hehehe!
Zander (7 stories) (146 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-11)
Gorgeous house! I see why y'all are into it. Very interesting account... It did seem 'inviting' that evening, I'll wager.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-06-21)
(Picked one of my experiecnes at random for this...)

HAPPY FATHERS DAY to all the YGS Members who are Fathers!

Respectfully,

Rook
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-27)
Great experience, thanks for sharing! I had a very similar experience a few years ago (my story about the old schoolhouse)... Very similar to the point reading yours gave me goosebumps. I did a lot of research after my experience and definitely have come up with a timeslip as being the answer. You somehow just had the opportunity to see the house in 1923 that night! My experience involved jogging past an old abandoned school at night and seeing it all lit up like an open house was going on or something. When I realized what I had just seen and turned around, the place was dark and abandoned again. What I saw was a seen straight out of the 70's, but witnessed in 2011.
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-03-27)
Hi Rook, I love old buildings and their histories. I truly believe the wall of any building takes in the sights and sounds from around them, almost like a recording, and releases these from time to time which is what we experience, and talk about on here.😊 I suppose this is a form of residual energy. I wonder if as well as releasing sounds, they can not release visuals also, which could be what you experienced that day.

If a voice can be recorded on soot and paper (below link), and played back 150 years later, I think anything is possible 😁

Http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7318180.stm

Or perhaps its, as I believe you have already said, the building is somehow aware of yours and your wife's love for it, and longs to be restored and lived in once again.
rynne (69 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-30)
Thanks for responding, Rook. That helped address some of what I was puzzled about... The fact you both felt "drawn" to it.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-29)
rynne,

Great questions.

For your first one...

"what made you walk upto the house at 11:30P in the night,..."

We stopped and approached the house because we were surprised at what we were seeing. The day before when we had passed it was as run down as 'ever', no work being done. So we stopped to 'have a look'. We did not have any intention of knocking on the door, at least not 'at first'.

Which brings us to your second question...

"isn't that an odd time to knock on a door of someone you do not know, just because you see lights on?"

We got to the front door and after seeing it close up we both thought about knocking, but neither of us did... Its hard to explain we both stood there... For close to 10 minutes... And just looked at the door. We finally looked at each other and then walked back to our car... It was on the way home, as we talked about what we had just seen/done that we realized we had both been thinking about knocking...

From our point of view... It was only the 'porch lights' that were on, and they appeared to be 'gas lamps'. The door and windows either side of it did not appear new, but rather used but well cared for. All the other windows and even the siding looked like what you see in the picture with the overgrown trees... With one exception... The lower windows are covered in plywood.

We hoped someone had started renovating the house, but when we saw it the next day...

Thanks for reading.

Respectfully,

Rook
rynne (69 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-27)
Hello rookdygin,

You have some interesting posts (stories and comments), have been reading a few. Came across this, haven't finished it yet but was curious--what made you walk upto the house at 11:30P in the night, even if there was a restoration in progress or if someone may have moved in? You also mentioned you thought of knocking on the door at that hour... Couldn't help but wonder, even if there was someone who'd moved in there, isn't that an odd time to knock on a door of someone you do not know, just because you see lights on? Will go back and finish reading (and others as and when I can, all interesting). 😊
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-18)
ALA715,

Thanks for reading... Comments do not always have to go 'somewhere'. Hope you enjoy the site... Do you have any experiences to share?

Respectfully,

Rook
ALA715 (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-17)
Hi Rook,
I'm fairly new to ygs but I have read a few of your postings and find them interesting. I currently live in NYC but grew up in New England and as I'm sure you know there's a lot of paranormal activity in al 6 states. I'm not sure where I'm going with this but I just wanted to thank you for your posts.
Anthony
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-29)
First of all, I have been to Rhode Island only once and I fell in love with the place. It has some really nice history to it but I never got the change to come back and I really wish I could make the time to come back.

Loving history, I have read about the Chase house. The pictures that you have put up are great. The first one is really creepy and the second one shows of a house that had so much history in it.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-21)
pringles,

Thank you for reading... As you can see the house was at one time beautiful... But time took it's toll, I'm not even sure if the Historical Society could restore it, and that's a shame...

Respectfully,

Rook
pringles (3 stories) (16 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-05-20)
wow what a beautiful house, even thogh its got a creepy vibe. I enjoyed this story and will read your others x.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-19)
I searched this out after seeing your link in another comment. I must say that I am truly fascinated by this story, although for what reason I can't explain. Just one of those things I am drawn to I suppose, although rather strangely I think. Great story, glad you posted the link.:)
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-19)
shellzy,

Oppressive and old are not words I would choose... My wife and I were both fascinated by the fact that it seemed as if someone had finally taken an interest in the home, a big enough one that they had started restoring it. But something about seeing the 'fixed up' doorway... Complete with the 'gas (oil?) lamps' burning on either side of the door felt...'Off?' Enough so we thought about the kids at home and made the choice to return to them.

That seems like a curious choice of words now that I write them... But that's just what we did... We CHOSE to return to the kids. I can only speak for myself, but now that our kids are grown... No I can't say it yet. (Kids are 19/15/13) Can't say I'd knock until my youngest is at least 17... So in 4 years, who knows... I think I'd knock if given a second chance.

Respectfully,

Rook
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-19)
Hi Rook

Apologies I am a little slow on the uptake of your story, but I thought I would have a read as the 'time slip' stories really do fascinate me.
In other time slip stories I have read people often report that the atmosphere feels 'oppressive and old' (if that makes sense). Just wondering if you felt the atmosphere had changed in any way when you approached the house?
And I can also imagine that your wife and yourself would have gone over many many 'what if' scenarios over the years... My question is if you got the chance again to knock on the door would you do it? It certainly a mind boggling scenario!
😊
BeaW (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
You were invited by some entity - the house itself, perhaps - to enter a time slip. How rare! The two most famous time slip locals are Bold Street in Liverpool and Versailles. Wonder if anyone else has experienced the time slip at Chase House?
luce (2 stories) (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-29)
Hi. I've heard of stories like that here as well. If it happens again, and you decide to come in, you might be in for a treat - like watching an old film in 3D. I hope the house let's you leave though.
mzih8u (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-28)
what a great house! Very spooky looking indeed but my feelings on the house don't seem so scary but more of a lonely feeling?
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
Very interesting story. Just from reading it, I too feel that someone would have opened that door!

I find stories such as this to be quite eerie and am planning to look into this house myself. Thanks very much for the story. Very good!
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-14)
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to turn up any additional info on the Chase House, rookdygin. I examined HABS (Historic American Buildings Survey) documents from the 1930s. All of the photos and notes are digitized and on-line. Architects and draftsmen documented 106 structures in Newport County, but not the Chase House. Yesterday I was at the university library so I went through the section on Rhode Island historic houses. Thinking that perhaps the house once might have been known after another, earlier owner, I flipped through the books and examined all the photos. I did this with HABS, too, but to no avail. It is not surprising that the Chase House did not appear in any of those sources when you consider the sheer amount of well preserved eighteenth-century homes in Rhode Island. I am sure there is probably tons of information in the town and county records. It just takes someone on the ground in Portsmouth to access them. As much as I am interested in this, my schedule--unfortunately--is going to keep me in Boston during the fall/winter. Maybe in the spring I can do a drive by. I'd love to see it.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-10-14)
If you are at all interested Elaine Forman Crane wrote a book about the mysterious circumstances of the murder entitled "Killed Strangely: The Death of Rebecca Cornell." It was published by Cornell University Press in 2002. The body of Cornell was found charred on the floor of her bed chamber. After her brother claimed that the ghost of the wronged Cornell appeared to him appealing for justice, her body was exhumed and reexamined. Eventually, Cornell's son was tried and executed, but it is a regular who-dunnit with 10 others living in the same house. Crane relies on the original court documents and depositions to try to reconstruct the events. It is one twisted tale and includes a very tense multi-generational family (far from the ideal of the Waltons), a Native American laborer who was previously convicted of theft, a son whose attempts at ownership of the farm are thwarted by his mother, and a spindle that may have been the murder weapon.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-14)
Kecoughtan,

No, never heard of it. Looked it up though, what a story.

As far as any more detailed or just any information in general...I'm sorry I just don't have any. I do have those pictures somewhere but after 4 moves in 4 years it's going to take some searching.

If anybody lives in the area and can give the place a drive by or cares enough to see what they can find out about the house (more than I was able to) I would love to know what is found out. Thanks in advance.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-14)
Do you know anything about a possible 1673 murder/matricide of Rebecca Cornell at the Cornell House which (until it burned in the late nineteenth century) once stood along the West Main Road?
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-13)
West Main Road, the road more traveled...

That was a more direct route from the Naval Base to Route 24 and one of the 3 bridges to get off the island. What did you find?

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: