You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Noises And A Shadow

Real Ghost Stories

The Noises And A Shadow

 

I just wanted to share my story, maybe you guys can help me figure out what I experienced. I'm a bit of a skeptic but at the same time a big part of me believes in the paranormal. I don't know if that even makes sense.

This happened to me back where I grew up. I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment with my parents in Manhattan, NY. Just to give you an idea of the place, this is the lay out of my apartment. We had two doors to the outside, one opened to a small waiting area and the other to the kitchen. We used the door to the kitchen a lot more then the other one. When you come in, there is a hallway to the other side of the kitchen and my room was in the middle to the right of the hallway. Then came the living room and then my parents' room, so basically they had to go through the hallway and pass my room to get to their room.

Anyways, I was 17 at that time and used to stay home alone sometimes on the weekends. My parents used to go to Atlantic City and sometimes they would stay for the whole weekend.

It was a Saturday night and unlike other weekends I went to bed kind of early. Around 2:30 am I heard the door in the kitchen open and close, then I heard some voices but could not understand what they were saying almost as if they were talking low so I wouldn't wake up but I could still hear them. Then I heard very clear footsteps in the hallway right outside my room. The steps were going in the direction to my parents' room. So I figured they came home early. I waited in bed for my mom to come in and check on me like she did every night before she would go to sleep.

When she didn't show up in my room, I decided to see if they were okay. To my surprise my parents' room was empty, so I went looking in all the rooms for them and NOTHING. At this point I'm getting a little scared, I thought that someone broke in and was hiding somewhere in my house.

I was standing in the middle of my kitchen when all of this is going through my head. So I grabbed my mom's rolling pin (I don't know what made me do this, I guess I thought I was so brave back then) and turned every light in my house, opened every door looking in every closet and corner to find this "intruder". NOTHING, I was "completely home alone". By then it was already 3 am (or so) and I was pissed off because I should've been in bed.

I decided to call parents to ask them what time they were coming home and they said they were about an hour away. So I went back to my room and was watching some TV waiting for them to get home so I can tell them my story. When out of no where I see this shadow on the wall in front and away from my bed, it looked as if some one was standing in my doorway (which was to the left of my bed) and making this shadow on the wall.

I closed my door to see if it was something in the hallway doing this, but the shadow was still there. I could only see the shoulders and head but not a body. I got closer to touched it and all I felt was the cold wall but the shadow was still there, at that time I really thought there was something (not paranormal) making this shadow that's why I was crazy enough to touch it. I turned to my phone to call my mom and when I looked to the wall again, the shadow had moved to the other end of the wall, closer to my bed and right at the foot of it.

That's when I grabbed my keys and cell phone and left. I waited for my parents on the steps right outside of my building. When they got home I told them what happened but they didn't know what to make of it. I think they believed me but didn't want to say anything.

Could it had just been my imagination or maybe I had a paranormal experience? This has been my question for years.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bnaredr3, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

bnaredr3 (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-21)
Miracles;
Happy to see you on my page... Even if it's not to comment on my account 😢,lol...just kidding
Just wanted to write to let you know I really enjoy reading all your accounts... Waiting for more
Karima

Badjuujuu;
Wow... Really good detailed advice on how to cleanse a house. I'm writing this one down, just in case I ever need to use it.
bnaredr3 (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-21)
No problem girls...
It's hard sometimes to hold back what you really want to say and trust me; I've been fighting not to go off. She's been disrespectful since the beginning... I realized you can't teach someone who is not willing to learn that's why I just stopped posting anything on her "story".
Every once in a while we get these kind of stories to stir up a peaceful family. They'll die down eventually.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
BadJuuJuu: I sent a reply... Got it the third time! Hahahahaha 😆
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
I'll try again. If it doesn't go through this time I'll just take it as a sign I'm being too nosy lol.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
BadJuuJuu: nope, not there... I even checked my spam... Maybe try again?...Don't want to ask you to put your address on here...

Karima: Thanks for letting us borrow your space!... ❤
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
I sent an e-mail, but as my internet sometimes gets a mind of it's own don't know if it went through lol. ❤
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
BadJuuJuu and Miracles: Thanks guys!...But she still continues to bait me...Wow, I guess "not holding grudges" means something else in "Trinidad"?...It will all die down soon... If I can keep my mouth shut!...People are seeing the point I was making... You two are basicly new, so e-mail me and I'll fill you in... 😊 ❤

Love the chicken grease! 😆
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
BadJuuJuu - thank you! I've been trying to figure out a "less than antagonistic way" of saying that, but everything I've been able to come up with is going to really tick off the author of that story. So I've held off until now.

Granny - you know we got your back! Although I'm pretty darn sure you can hold your own. I've looked and hunted, searched, called out the dogs and everything and cannot find where you've called anyone booger other than in reference when speaking to Pjod. Wow, sometimes things get really out of hand.

Anyway, let's hope it dies down soon.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-18)
I've been kind of hoping that a story on here would fade off into the ether. I have refused to make any comments on that story as the whole thing seemed designed to cause confrontation on an otherwise peaceful site. I've seen kind-hearted, level-headed people do their best to be constructive, and be insulted and torn down for their efforts. Hope all the confrontation ends soon.
Love, peace and chicken grease. ❤
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-17)
Karima: Sorry bout that! LOL...Can't see who people are on this darn computer for some reason! 😆...You know, sometimes people won't answer questions because they don't know the answer, or haven't thought of it yet... But yes, that's how we learn, and we are ALL here to learn from one another...

Shoot me an e-mail and we'll talk more...It's on my profile...

Thank -you for reading my stuff, and I don't blame you for not commenting... It gets me in trouble sometimes!... 😆 ❤
bnaredr3 (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-17)
oh... By the way I'm a she...lol, but don't worry, I'm NOT insulted 😆
bnaredr3 (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-17)
Hey granny, you are very welcome. That girl has been contradicting herself, one post will call us "holier than thou Christian" and the next say she even teaches bible study to teens. I think she's just very confused.
I guess she doesn't like to be question at all about her OFF THE WALL story, but then say 'blind faith is pathetic"... What? That's why we question all accounts, to get a better understanding. Oh well what can we do with a closed minded person.
And about the whole "little booger" thing, I don't even know what point she's trying to make... Again she's a very confused girl:)
I call my 5yr old son "little booger"... HE doesn't find that insulting and neither do I.
Moving on a more pleasant subject, love all of your accounts, keep them coming. Even If I don't comment on them, Know that I'm reading them.
Karima
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-05-13)
bnaredr3: Thanks for standing by me... I feel as though I am being baited into a confrontation, however, with her reply...So, I will not go back...Don't want to piss off the mods! 😆...And really, in your opinion, as much as I've had it out with the "Bible thumpers", where the heck did the "holier than thou Christian" impression come from? LOL!...

Any way, thanks again!... ❤
bnaredr3 (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-16)
Rhodes68, I completely agree with you. It's a very hard question to answer. I guess in a way I always had a feeling that I had experienced "something" (couldn't think of another word). "Something" I couldn't find a logical explanation to, and for lack of better words, "something unique that not a lot of people are able to experience.
I didn't get the feeling that they wanted to hurt or even scare me. I was just shocked, didn't know what was happening. I felt like I was in their way, that I was supposed to be asleep and not notice them at all. Maybe I was and that's why one decided to check me out, who knows. Like you said it was something special and I'm glad I was there to witness it.

ChrisB, Definitely taxes LOL .
I agree and yes when this happened I questioned it but just decided to put it in the back of my mind. It wasn't until years later that I thought about that night and realized "OH MY GOD, I did have a personal experience". Well I guess it's better late than never. Thank you for your comment, I'm glad I'm not the only one that didn't get it right then and there. It takes time to process this sort of things 

Schism, Thank you for the comment, I would love to read about your experiences. It's nice when you can relate.
bnaredr3 (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-16)
Thank you all for your comments.
Sorraya, my mom slept in my room with me that night (or for the rest of the morning I should say). We didn't feel or saw anything. The room just felt normal.

Velvet, thank you for your comment, I'm glad you liked it. I was so busy with school and being a teenager that I didn't pay any attention to little things that would happen around my house. For example, some of my things sometimes went missing and I would find them hours later in places I was sure I didn't put them. Like my cell phone inside my shoes under the dining room table (I know I didn't do that).

Starlight, Like you said, at that time I was trying to make sense of what was going on and I really thought something (object, curtains, etc) in my room was making that shadow on the wall, that's the only reason why I touched it. I was standing right in front of it and the shadow was still there. What got me was that when I turned away and looked back, the shadow had moved. That's when I knew it was something else. I never saw it again and no, I didn't feel threaten in my house that's why I really didn't make too much of it.
Schism (44 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-14)
Wow, what a CREEPY story!

Yours is very similar to something that happened to me, which I am planning on posting one of these days. It too involved hearing people come home when my family was still out and me wandering through the house terrified, LOL.

Great story! Made my day:)
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-14)
Nothing is for certain in life (except death and taxes). Just like in your case you questioned in what you saw. And to tell you the truth you did the best thing. I kind of understand how you think about the paranormal. If something paranormal would have happened to you then I bet you wouldn't even know about it. If that the case then your just like me. Sometimes it took me years to understand some things. But I understand it now! I think that there were spirits in your home. If you haven't had any other encounters before then I would say that these spirits happened to pop by. I'm glad that your parents believed you. It maybe hard fro a younger person to understand some things if we have no support. But trust me my friend that you sure had an encounter with the paranormal. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-14)
Hello bnaredr3 and thank you for sharing your experience.

You are aware that you're asking one of the hardest questions: "Was it my imagination or not?" Who could be absolutely certain so here's my assumption. If it had been just the noise of the door opening and closing, I would have suggested that you shouldn't jump to conclusions. Had it been just the voices, I would have thought it might have been the product of a sleepy mind. And yet, to have all these in addition to the shadow, it's a little too much for coincidence or plain good old imagination!

Sometimes we get to see these rare images or are caught in the midst of an ongoing play that comes not only to challenge our sanity but also any previous belief about the world and life in general. I would think that this is what probably happened that night and just as I was about to say it was just residual energy, there comes the shadow to observe you. This type of "interaction" is indicative of an intelligent haunt but I can't really tell if it was an accidental visitation of a travelling spirit or a more intended one-that of past residents.

Whatever the case, they obviously meant no harm whatsoever. The shadow was simply curious. Just accept this special moment since very few people get to witness it.
Starlight (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-14)
I applaud you very much indeed! Actually touching a spirit? I bet it would have been shocked as well! I do believe it is a spirit because obviously, nothing might have been in the way.

But I do like to think logically first. Think back if you can, was there anything else that might have made the shadow? Maybe the reflections of your TV screen flickering might have caused it? Was there a cold spot or anything in the room?

You didn't mention it harming you or continueing, so I wouldn't be afraid of it unless it does harm you. But I must say, that is quite spooky and I would have probably run out of the house myself.

Hope all goes well, blessed be. 😁 😳
Velvet (2 stories) (72 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-13)
I loved your story and the other thing I love about it is that I can actually believe it, I would have done the same thing, grab my keys and cell and been out of there.
Your really brave I think I would have ran to the sidewalk crying. Lol
I think there was something paranormal there indeed. Was that the only time something like that has happened. Thanks for sharing and hope to hear back from you.
sorraya (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-13)
WOW THAT WOULD BE SO SCARY. I THINK WHAT YOU SEEN WAS A GOAST THATS THE ONLY EXPLANATION I COULD SEE. I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU EVER SLEEPED IN THAT ROOM AGAIN. 😲

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: