You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: First Experience

Real Ghost Stories

First Experience

 

My first experience with the paranormal happened when I was 8 years old and living in Houston, Texas. My parents had been divorced about a year and I was 'camping' in the living room on a Saturday night. I lived with my sister and my Mother at the time.

I'd stayed up late watching TV and was getting ready to turn it off, blow out the candle I had lit and go to sleep. That's when the shadows flickered, as if a breeze had blown the flame of the candle around. I thought maybe my Mother or sister had opened the hall door and entered the front room of the house, so I turned to see who it was.

What I saw caused me to pull my covers over my head. The candle, stand and all, was floating between the bookcase I'd set it on and our dinning room table. I remember this vividly, I turned to see who was there, thinking it was my mother or younger sister and there was my candle floating there.

After a couple of minutes I peeked out from under my covers. The light seemed to be coming from the same place so I looked towards the candle, and there it was floating. I blinked and looked around the room and as I did so I saw the shadows shift as the candle moved back onto the bookcase. I know it went back to where it had started because that's where it now sat.

I took a deep breath and went to check it out. I know the candle had been moved because there was some wax on the bookcase that had spilled off the candle stand. I never felt anything, no cold spots, no hot spots, nothing. I didn't see any human shaped shadows or anything that could have been holding the candle.

I went to the bathroom and looked into my Mothers room and both my Mother and sister were sleeping there. From this experience began my interest in the supernatural/paranormal.

Other hauntings by rookdygin

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rookdygin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-29)
This is cool story. As adults, we tend to scare ourselves like crazy but as young kids some of us tend to be courageous than others. If I were in your place and saw what you saw, I probably be howling bloody murder. Now, not so much more, I probably go and investigate what I saw.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-18)
Fergie,

The 'prophetic dreams' may be best told on YGS's sister site 'Psychics and Mediums'...but being a part of a 'larger' experience they just may get published here. If not follow the link at the top right of this page and post them on the sister site. Gotta Run... Time to go home from work.

Respectfully,

Rook
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-18)
Wow Rook,
That is amazing, that your daughter has her own accounts! Please encourage her to publish them. She doesn't have to mention the fillial connection.
I too, was afraid that I would get no feed-back on my first tale; it sounded so mundane to me. I was, and still am astounded by the lovely responses that I received.
Encourage her, gently, into submitting, I am sure she will be pleasantly surprised.
My two younger daughters have turned very religious. They will not even read YGS, but that is their choice, & I would never attempt to force them. They all remember my stories, when I mention them, but will never submit anything themselves. All 3 have had 'experiences' of some sort, & they have all given their permission for me to post them at some point in time - I will have to work on that.
Both the eldest, & the yougest have had 'prophetic dreams', the middle one has had strange things happening in her house. If I lump them all together in one story, do you think YGS will accept it? 🤔
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-18)
Fergie,

I've raised my 3 (for now...😲) pretty much the same way. (Boy 19 / Girl 15 / Boy 13) While teaching them 'Church Standards' is important to my wife and I, so is teaching them to think for themselves... Keep an open mind. So far they seem to be turning out ok.

My daughter has an experience or two and wants to share them here on site, but she's worried people either won't believe them or she won't receive any 'feed back' because she's my daughter. I keep telling her she doesn't need to post that bit of information but so far she hasn't posted them.

It's pretty easy to ramble when there are only a couple of people on site... Not much 'back and forthing' and when there are no 'new' experiences being published what else is there to do. So well met, thank you for reading my experiences and if you have any questions please ask.

Respectfully,

Rook
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-18)
Rook,
Your babbling is music to my ears! It definitely is not un-intelligable prattle.
I was brought up by my Gran & Auntie, who were both devout Methodists. So, when I was given a book called (?) The Third Eye written by the Daliah Lama (sp?) at the age of 10, by Norm (my Gran's youngest), it mysteriously disappeared. I always wondered who had spirited my book away.
I too, have always encouraged my daughters to 'look beyond the horizons'; to be informed, and to choose for themselves. Never to bully, or be bullied, never to be led by the nose.
I have NEVER been diappointed by any of them, they have all grown up to be remarkable women. I take consolation in knowing that I must have done SOMETHING right in my life. My eldest, must be about your age.

Oops, I think I am babbling now...Sorry!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-18)
Fergie,

It took 2-3 years before I was really reading and studying about the paranormal. My mother would let me stay up late on Friday Nights and we would watch a show called 'Terror Theater' (it aired late Friday nights in Houston, Tx.) this would have been 1976/77ish.

She had noticed my 'new love' of reading and had even asked me what I was reading... I only told her 'half' of it... The fiction part... It was Edgar Allen Poe, Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley, Shakespeare and Ann Rice's Interview With the Vampire. (A book my mother gave me because of what she saw me reading)

On the 'Non-Fiction' side, books my mother didn't know about, there were things on Astral Travel... Opening my Third eye... Meditation and Shielding... Tarot Cards. As I read I Realized that there was so much more 'out there' than what Mom/Dad... Grandparents and the 'CHURCH' was teaching. While I've come 'full circle' and have returned to an Organized Church I have 'seen' way to much to 'FORCE' my views on anyone... KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. While there are some 'basic truths' that are universal... Treat others as you want to be treated... Help those in need... Wish harm on no one... And the BIG ONE... Everyone is Free to Choose for Themselves.

Wow look at me babble... Sorry for my rambling.

Respectfully,

Rook
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-18)
Hi Rook,
Back in my day, there were no horror movies per se, or not that I can remember. Also, no tv.
I got pointed in the direction of books by Bram Stoker, "Lair of the White Worm" & "Dracula", which was not quite the same thing. I don't think S. King was even in existance in those days.
It is a pleasure to read your narratives! 😊
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-18)
Fergie,

I've often thought about why I didn't 'freak out' more when this happened and I think it was because there was never a negative, bad or for that matter a 'feeling' of any sort that accompanied this experience. It was simply the candle moving...

This was before I started watching 'Horror Movies' and reading my Mom's old Steven King books. So I was more fascinated with the 'magic trick' I'd witnessed rather than 'scared of the ghost' in my house.

Thanks for reading. 😊

Respectfully,

Rook
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-18)
Wow Rook, If I had seen anything that 'dramatic' at such a young age, I might have been put off the paranormal for life.
My youngest uncle, Norm, told me all sorts of strange things when I was young, there-by spiking my curiosity, but I was already in my mid 20s when I actually 'saw' something. When I did, I didn't even recognise it for what it really was. If you care to look it up, it is under "Randfontein Mine House".
I enjoyed your straight-forward narrative, & am off to read some more. 😊
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-21)
I like this story, Rook.
Your descriptions are easy to visualize because you express details clearly, and the progression of the story maintains an easy inner logic.
Thanks for this post.
A floating candle, complete with flame and holder!

By the way, I left a post query for you on Phantom House?
Take care...
scaredlilbitch18 (2 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-10-17)
😕 Damn that sounds really crazy... I feel like bad. I had my share of experiences but nothing like that.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-17)
Hi and thank you for sharring this very interesting story with us. I realy enjoyed reading it. There are times that we can expect something is going to happen and there are times that we don't know what's going to happen. Thanks again for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-16)
rhodes68

My sister is pretty forth coming about things like this, in fact I think she falls into the category of 'tries to hard'. One of those people who automatically see the paranormal and does not look any deeper into events. My Mother, well she's a bit superstitious when it comes to things like this and while not active in a church she crosses herself and finds every/any excuse, no matter how far fetched to explain what something may have been.

Kecoughtan

No, no other experiences in that house, well not any that I place in the paranormal category. Every once in a while I'd get the feeling of being watched, but sense I was home alone and prone to watching scary movies (still do) I wrote it off as nerves. The movie Halloween (original version) scared me so bad that it took me a week to walk down or hall without turning on the light. (lol 😕)

The house is still there, it's had a face lift but it's still standing. The neighborhood seems to be no different either. I just had to tell this tale because it truly is the moment that I came to believe in ghosts and spirits and researching the paranormal.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-16)
Thanks for sharing another incredible experience with us, rookdygin! Did you have any more experiences in that house? What about your sister and mother?
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-16)
It would certainly be very interesting if you could ask them or at least your sister about any possible experiences there. You'd be surprised how many things people hide for fear of being considered "crazy". Then again, I wouldn't be surprised at all if you were the only one perceiving them. You may be the only sensitive and thus targeted in the house.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-16)
I never looked up any history on that house. I was born there and spent nearly 16 years there and that was the only experience that ever happened, at least to me. I never asked my Mom or sister if anything like that happened to them.

I'm not counting the 'being watched' feelings, they didn't happen often and when they were really bad I had just seen the original Halloween movie and that gave me serious heebie jeebies so I wrote them off on 'movie terrors' (lol 😲)
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-10-16)
Sounds like an old timer making his/her way into the living room. Could it have been his/her space in the past?

My paternal grandfather would stubbornly walk around the house with a candle only to prove how unfamiliar with or unwilling he was to accept the "comforts" of the modern world! He died at the age of 106 and the only "gadget" he liked was the "stupid box"...

Thanks for another thrill rookdygin-no wonder you developed a "taste" for the supernatural after such an experience!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: