You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Apartment In DC

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Apartment In DC

 

This happened several years ago, when I lived with my mother in an efficiency apartment in Northwest Washington DC. I never felt easy in that apartment, and then strange things started to happen.

The main room connected to the bathroom by way of a short hallway. Every time I walked down the hallway, I felt like I was being followed. Mom said the same thing.

There was also a hall closet where we kept our coats and jackets. Mom put a jacket in the cleaners one day and it somehow appeared back in the closet. We each thought the other had gotten it out of the cleaners but neither one of us had.

We also had a bed and a sofa in the main room. One night, I woke up and saw an arm sticking straight up from behind the sofa. Other people might say I was dreaming, but I KNOW I was awake.

We also had a large eat-in kitchen. I never liked it in there. I always felt uneasy. So, when I would close the kitchen door at night, I would be too afraid to reach in, so I would put my fingers in the crack of the door where the hinges are, and close it that way. One time I felt something very cold touch my fingers when I did this.

Also in the kitchen, once when the door was partially open, I saw what looked like a red cloth floating around in there, but when I opened the door completely, saw nothing.

All of these things my Mom has corroborated as well, but I never found out who or what was in that apartment.

Please let me know what you think. I have no way to prove any of these things but I remember them very clearly.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, terriwarren, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

anoble18 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-21)
Hi! I remember reading about an apartment in northwest washington DC that was haunted. It was on 19th street, it may be a different place, I don't know, but there's a rather morbid story of what happened there in 1883. A person cut his throat and held on to the fireplace until he dropped dead on the floor, and people have said that they hear a very obnoxious dripping noise by the mantle piece sometimes accompanied by being touched by something cold. I think the energy in that place is sad and might just want to reach out and ask you for help... I really don't think it wants to scare you.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-03)
Yep Chris did comment on the wrong story here sorry. But did read this one too. And it is a very well written story just the same. I feel there are more then one entity here. One that wanted to be your friend the other one wanting to scare you.
terriwarren (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-19)
One thing I neglected to mention in the story is that, one night, in that same apartment, something actually touched my leg. The next morning, there was a dark spot on my thigh where I had been touched. It is not as pronounced as it was, but years later, it is still there. 😨
aherr (4 stories) (46 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-17)
Let's think of this way. Maybe the spirits/ghosts think we are scaring them to death too. Maybe the ghost thought we were ghost too. I'm not trying to be funny but it's true if you guys read my story from Minnesota and the title is "I thought it was my sister." The entity and I were scared of each other.

Also, I don't know how many of you seen the movie "The Others?" Nicole Kidman was the main actress. That was a great twist at the end.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-17)
Chris, I didn't say all energy was residual-some of it might have been but if she had her hand grabbed, that was definitely intelligent and pretty abnoxious. If one wants to communicate they can find other ways of doing that than scaring you to death.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-17)
I think Flutter must have wanted to comment on another story she read but mistakebley done it here. But I do that too 😆.I realy enjoyed reading this story. As Tammy has said I to believe that this is a residual haunt. They can't realy do any harm becasue they don't know we exsist but they sure can be scary. Thanks fro sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
terriwarren (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-16)
Thanks timeobserver. It has really helped to know that my Mom experienced these things too. I am not sure, however, what flutterofwings meant. I never had a daughter or mentioned one in the story. My Mom, however, is no longer with us. 😐
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-16)
Nice written story and a bit old. I too would like to know what your daughter died of too.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-16)
Nice written story and a bit old. I too would like to know what your daughter died of too.
Timesobserver (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-16)
Please take some comfort in knowing that your mother experienced these events as well. I have found that always helps to have someone else who shared the same things as I have. I hope the same is true for you.
PrincessKatie (7 stories) (420 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-16)
It could be just a spirit which is trap. You don't need to be scared. They soon go in there own time. I go through things like this a lot. I have 42 stories on the psychic experience website if you want to read them.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-16)
Sometimes, houses can entrap past energy or memories of a past life that is still so vivid, it comes to collide with our own world-that of the physical reality. Sometimes this energy is just residual meaning it acts out a scene from an old play but there's no actual ghost present. You see images or hear sounds but that's only because the "echoes" of the other dimension come through a "crack" in the fabric of time.

Some other times, as in your case, the spirits of the deceased remain "trapped" in this world instead of crossing over either because some old "debt" is holding them back or because they might have not realised they died, or even because they are simply afraid to cross. They may feel that the only thing to confirm their existence is to see the responses they get from the living when something is heard or seen that's not supposed to be there. Crossing or attempting to cross to the other realm cannot guarantee them continuation or "life" in any form and that may very well be the reason they stay behind.

Whatever was there in that house with you was very likely not your imagination but the energy of an old resident who refused to let go.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: