You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Pow Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Pow Ghost

 

While on a training mission back in 2003, we camped out on what I would learn is a former POW camp from World War II for German soldiers. It was particularly cold this training I believe it was February, it was in the low 20's which is odd but not unheard of in Florida. We meet at the National Guard Armory that night and loaded up into 5 tons and "Humvees" then started the long drive to the Army base. I know for some the 20 doesn't sound all that cold, but with Florida's humidity and gear that is issued in a warm weather environment really does little to stop the cold.

Buy the time we arrived at the Base my body was numb from cold and every bump in the road seemed to shoot through my spine. I was grateful when we stopped for the night, all I could remember once we got to the Base and received are location for the mission we drove what seemed like hours through the woods, on the most god offal roads in the state. When we finally arrived at our area of operations it was time to set up camp and rest for the following day of training missions.

I went with my platoon to a location the Platoon Sergeant felt was a good spot to set up camp. There was a concrete slab which seemed to have been a foundation of sorts for a building long gone. There was grass and bushes growing from cracks in the slab. I found a "comfortable" spot to lie what sleeping equipment I had which consisted of a Gortex wrap, a sleeping bag and an inflatable shooting mat. I set my sleeping area up, climbed into my sleeping bag fully clothed with my rifle and my field knife by my side. I then sat in and waited for the bag to warm up so I would be a least a little comfortable and could possible get and hour or two of sleep.

It must have been around 0200 in the morning when I awoke with a strange feeling, it had seemed like someone wanted me up and had shook me to get my attention. I peeked my head out of my "hotel suit" and looked around; no one was looking at me or standing around me. It was a well lit night now the moon seemed full and the terrain that seemed a mystery before was almost in plain sight. I looked around for a little longer seeing if maybe I had heard something, an animal perhaps? Finally grew a tired again and the cold started to get to me, I found my ruck sack reached inside and pulled my flask (filled with cheap scotch) from it. I took a long swig on my flask then settled back into my sleeping bag.

I drifted of to sleep again after the whiskey had relaxed my nerves and helped me forget that the shooting mat had lost what little air it had and that I was now sleeping on concrete. The night it seemed was getting colder; the morning dew was settling on the ground and turning to ice. As I would turn in my sleeping bag I could hear the ice crack and could feel it slide from the Gortex outer shell. I don't know what woke me but I often wake up several times when sleeping in such a way. I checked my watch 0315, I had only slept for a little over on hour. I took another long swig from my flask and settled in to hopefully get some more rest.

Before I could return to the land of sleep, I started to feel like I was being watched. I again looked out of my sleeping bag to see if someone was around, the same result of no one. I returned to trying to sleep when I was kicked in the back. I again looked out of my sleeping bag to find no one standing there. I was a little upset to find that someone hadn't walked up behind me. I then got out of my sleeping bag and went over to the tree line and took a leak. I took my time returning to my sleeping bag and just looked around to see if I might have missed something.

I looked around where my sleeping bag lay and found that no one was sleeping behind me. So I thought maybe I had a muscle spasm or something along those lines, thinking this I returned to my sleeping bag. I had just started to get comfortable again when I was kicked in the stomach.

I looked out from my sleeping bag again and no one was there, again. I returned my head to my sleeping bag and lay motionless for about 5 minutes although it seemed like longer. I then tried to move around and get comfortable again. I checked my watch it was close to 0430 and wake up would be coming soon so I thought it best to at least get a little more rest before waking up to eat breakfast. I had just started to fall back asleep when it felt like some stepped on me as if they didn't see me laying there. I moved as to push the person off balance as they stepped on me but found no resistance at all.

I don't remember much more about that night other than I didn't get any rest and was annoyed about the incidents in the night. Breakfast was your typical Army cardboard flavored coffee and liquid eggs with something they were passing off as sausage.

During our training missions I noticed several things that struck me as odd. The concrete slabs had indeed been a foundation of sorts at some time all in a pattern as if it were a lost neighborhood. There were no signs of fencing anywhere but where one would think to place a fence was simply 10 or so yards of broken glass bottles and other jagged materials.

I found this continued into most of the areas were we were hiking through, I asked a Sergeant about the glass and all he could remember was at some time it was a POW area and broken glass was cheaper than fencing. In Florida weather you don't really need shoes so I suppose items that could have been used for foot wear were confiscated to prevent escape. I haven't found anything in print regarding that but it makes sense.

I did however find out that it was indeed a POW camp and that 5 people died of natural cause and or illness during it being active. This is not as vivid as some of my other stories but I thought it would be well received. I am currently working on a story that has been re-laid to about hunting at a jail. I will post it as soon as I can.

Other hauntings by Sapper

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Sapper, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Marine (6 stories) (42 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-22)
I know this comment is five years late, but... I once was in the marine corps and have seen the ugly face of combat. With the kind of profession we were in Sapper, I wouldn't be surprised if we encountered incidence that could make us go "hmmmmm...that was weird." In fact, I've had my own fair share of "what-the-f&#$-was-that?" moment while in the field and at camp.
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-22)
Hey Sapper I was looking at my list of favorite posters then I remembered that I have not read all of your stories. This was another fascinating one of yours and I look forward to the next. You are right it doesn't seem as vivid as the others I have read but I enjoyed it! Thanks for keeping me interested. ❤ Jas
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-20)
Thank you for sharing another exciting story, Sapper. As whitebuffalo observed these camps must have been emotionally charged places. A friend of mine who served in World War II interrogated/translated German POWs. He worked in the camps in the American Southwest, and has several very tragic stories about the treatment of German POWs. While there was never systematic mistreatment of the prisoners, some of the guards were rather intense because they had been pulled from combat when their units were decimated. Assigned to the camps as a reprieve from further combat, he saw several of them harm POWs and suspects that they probably suffered from PTSD. The other guards always intervened immediately, but I think his stories attest to the intense experience for both prisoner and captive.

On a lighter note, it was a cold night and maybe someone just wanted you to share the comfort in your flask. 😊
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-20)
Hi sapper and thank you for sharring this story with us. I bet you must have been angry because this spirit didn't want to give you any sleep. I hate it when that happens 😁.I again thank you for taking the time to share this with us and I'm looking forward to reading your next stories. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-20)
You really brought back a lot of memories, Sapper, in the descriptive way in which you described the area in which you rested. I was right with you, reliving the experience right up to the point when you had Spiritual contact (only because I never had a physical contact while in a similar- I can not say the "same"-situation).
I would think that a POW camp would be the opportune place in which to have walking ghosts and perhaps even spirits. What utter dismal places. They were froth with emotions in a wide range of action. I can only imagine the despair and extreme anger that persons stationed there were feeling.
Wonderful imagery. I was with you the entire way.
Thank you.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-20)
Hmm. Well if it had been a pow camp chances are by your uniform you were still considered the enemy and that may have been the reason for the kicking. The Geneva Convention which was the law by which all countries were suppose to treat their pow's was not always the way it went. I would like to think we were better to those soldiers than some were to ours. However here they were and some died. Chances are you may have run into spirits that are still in that space and time and still angry at American soldiers. Could it have been exhaustion on your part? Maybe. I don't think it was the cheap scotch. You may have had an honest to goodness encounter with those that died on foreign soil. Too bad you couldn't have told them it's not the 1940's anymore and move on to the Light.
ElectricTNT (1 stories) (45 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-19)
It's a bad situation when having been kicked, you cannot find someone to kick back. May be what is needed, is a better grade of Scotch.
AussieRedDog (25 stories) (82 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-18)
Not bad. 😨 I would lay my bottom dollar that some of the old POW camps in Russia and Germany be haunted, espeically the old Conceration Camps where they murdered Jews and Gypies. Man, now that would be spooky.
staaldak (3 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-17)
Interesting story. Thank you for sharing it. Maybe some day I will share some of my stories about my time in the South African armed forces.

Take care,
Staaldak
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-17)
I don't think you'd share my feelings Sapper but had I been in your shoes, I would have had a frightful night in the open.

It does make you wonder who was trying to attract your attention in a very abnoxious way. Could it have been someone related to the camp in the old days or just a drifting spirit? Who knows.

Thanks for a great story though!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: