You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: A Visitation From The Cousin

Real Ghost Stories

A Visitation From The Cousin

 

In 1999 my husband's cousin had passed away of liver failure. We all knew he was not going to make it since the life support machine is just helping him stayed alive after the surgery. This situation occurred in the Twin Cities of Minnesota. My husband's cousin, Ted, (not his real name) has suffered for almost a year and he got skinner and skinner before they took him to the hospital for a surgery. That year was my student teaching; trying to get ready to become a school teacher.

My husband's relatives said December XX, 1999 was Ted's last day to live because they all agreed to take the tubes off. His relatives expected everyone to take a day off and say goodbye to Ted. I didn't want to be rude because it's too hard to say good-bye, so I decided not to take a day off from my student teaching. I knew that some of my husband's relative would probably think I'm being rude but I wasn't and I knew I'm going to feel very sorry with lots of tears.

At 12:00 on that December, I knew my husband's cousin, Ted passed away. The sky was very mellow, quiet, and eerie. On my way from school, I did a lot of thinking such as where would he go or how was his final death like? When I arrived home, I tried to call my husband and asked him did he die? I know it's a dumb question but I just had to ask. I couldn't get a hold of him so I called his other cousins house. When they answered, I asked, "Did Ted passed away, and where is my husband?" His other cousin said they went to look for a coffin and a grave, they'll be back later. I told his other cousin on the phone that I'll be there shortly tonight.

In our Hmong culture, when a family member passes away, we have to stay with the survival family until the funeral begins. Every cousins, families, and relatives take turn staying with them for sympathy, sincere, and warmth. Sometimes we even spent the night with the survival family to keep them safe and secure. That is how the Hmong people are so bonded with their families.

Anyways after the phone call, someone called me again, a girl, was saying that she was going to come to my house for something. As I recall, it was real, I mean real, but it happened so fast like it was a dream. I told her can come; I don't know why she wanted to come for what reason. I went to the kitchen digging for something to eat and my brother and my son was watching Bart Simpson and other cartoon shows. All suddenly, there was a door bell rang. I asked my brother, was that the cartoon? He said no it wasn't the T.V. The door bell rang again, and then I went down stairs because my house is a split entry home, where basement is downstairs and living and sleeping area is upstairs. I opened the door and no one was there. I didn't scratch my head but I was puzzling. I thought to myself... Hmmm that's weird. I closed the entrance door and climbed three stairs up, and then the door bell rang again. I was getting impatient; I went back and opened the door one more time and no one was there again. As I was thinking, if someone is playing a trick, I should be hearing movements and etc.

I asked my brother to go to his room and looked through his bedroom window to see what was going on and if he could see a person standing on the front porch. I don't know why what took my brother so long in his bedroom. As he was checking, I did a test where I closed the storm door and opened the entrance door widely. I climbed the first two steps and staring directly outside and guess what? The door bell rang right in front of my eyes, ears, and myself. I was so mad and frustrated. I stepped down and swung the storm door widely and guess what I said...

"YOU NEED TO STOP PLAYING AROUND, IF YOU'RE GOING TO COME IN THEN COME IN OR GO AWAY!" I don't know what other people are thinking if they were me but I don't remember to being afraid and didn't realize it was a ghost or my husband's dead cousin that just passed away 4-6 hours ago. I guess people at that time don't remember getting spooked when unexpected things happened to them. When people want to get spooked nothing shows up and they are already preparing to be afraid. After that incident, my brother finally came from his room with a scary face. I asked him, "Did you see anything?" He just shook his head.

I finally got a hold of my husband and explained him the situation and he said I guess Ted missed us and he just wanted to drop by and said goodbye which he never seen our house before. I told my husband I guess you're right, I'll be there shortly. I asked my brother to stay and watch my son but he insisted not to stay and want to go with me. We packed up and left.

My husband cousin's funeral lasted for 4 days and 3 nights for 24 hours. Hmong people who are not Christians, the funeral lasted for a week but in America we stared on Friday and end on Monday afternoon and buried the dead in the afternoon. The hardest part was staying 24 hours for your love ones. They believed the dead will pay its debt in the afterlife and then reincarnate to a new family or something. Well, after the funeral, my brother did not want to sleep in his room and have requested if my husband and I let him sleep in our room on the floor. I assumed he must be really scared because he slept in our room for a week until everything was back to normal. After that my husband's cousin did not show up. Moreover his death was really scary because 6 months later his (the cousin) older brother passed away and a year later his mom passed away because of grieving for her two dead sons.

It was like one person dying one at time just like a disease. I recalled my mom came to visit me on Christmas in 2000 and she said "Thank God, your husband's cousin, Ted, didn't take your husband with him." I was confusing and asked my mom why? My mom said after Ted's death, my dad had a dream saying that Ted was lonely in the other place. He wanted to ask my husband if he can have a drink with him. In my dad's dream, my dad said "No, you cannot have a drink with my son-in-law, if you want to have a drink, why don't you have a drink with me." After the dream, 6 months later, Ted's older brother died in the hospital suffering a head injury car accident. Everyone thought that family was cursed or did something horrible in the past.

Other hauntings by aherr

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Minnesota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, aherr, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Keya_Ray (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-02)
I am so sorry for your loss... I believe that dead one comunicate to their loved ones after their death... The same happened with me too... My grandfather visited me in my dream to say good bye. In the morning my uncle informed us that granddad passed away last night.
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-21)
I have a question for you Aherr,
Did your brother ever tell you why he was so scared or if he really did see something that day through the window when someone was "playing" with the door bell? I just have a feeling that he might have seen something and that is why he was so scared not to mention that when you said "After that incident, my brother finally came from his room with a scary face. I asked him, "Did you see anything?" He just shook his head" that there kind of tells me that he might have seen something and did not want to say. Probably out of the same fear or shock of seeing an unexpected "thing".
Maybe just me, but I was curious about it.
Charlemagne (1 stories) (21 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-21)
It is also a tradition in our culture for the relatives or close friends of a family (who just lost a loved one) to accompany the members who are grieving. Staying up without any sleep at all may even extend up to days. Sorry to hear about your loss, and thank you for sharing your experience. God Bless.
aherr (4 stories) (46 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-10-20)
Succubussed,

I don't know what you're trying to criticize. We are not here to turn people or criticize on their writing. You may criticize a teacher who may have learning disability in writing but this teacher may be great in many things with better future than YOU.

We are here to listen to others who are trying to explain their experiences with strange ghosts, demons, good and bad spirits.

I hope the Lord forgives you as I have forgiven you. We are not perfect human beings.
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-20)
Tragic story. They say death comes in threes. I would definitely say the mother died of a broken heart. What mother or parent want to bury her children? As for the tragic accident, mmm I would not be so qucik to blame Ted.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-20)
Im very sorry for your loss. It is always sad to hear that someone must move on. But isn't it a good feeling to know that Ted wanted to say goodbye. It doesn't happen to every body but it is a special feeling. Thanks again. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Succubussed (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-20)
The idea that a person who writes this poorly is about to become a school teacher is much more frightening to me than any ghost could ever be.

Nothing personal, and I don't mean to be rude, but I just don't believe that Aherr is an adult, about to become a teacher. And if that part isn't true, then I have doubts about the rest of the story.
sagemizu (30 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-19)
Such a great story about family. Very touching. The part I most related to was the week long funeral thing. All I remembered was chanting from the monks.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-19)
Such tragedy for one family. It happens though. My aunt, her husband, and my grandmother (my aunt's mother) all died within 3 months. It was a crazy time and everyone was like why is this happening to us? We had a lot of deaths in our family within a 5 year period so I can understand how this family felt. Yes, I do believe your husband's cousin was just saying goodbye. I don't know about hmong but I will google it. I hope things are back to normal for your family.
aherr (4 stories) (46 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-18)
At that time, my husband's cousin Ted's family was a messed. It was like we had to prepared a funeral all the time.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-18)
Although I wouldn't go as far as to say that Ted was behind his brother's fatal accident, I would have to agree with you that what happened to your husband's cousin's family WAS tragic. I'm more inclined to believe that Ted's visit in your dad's dream was either a cry for help-he was lonely-unwilling to accept his demise or a bit prophetic as to what was about to follow but, nontheless, unrelated to his brother's death. As for their mother dying, it does make sense. People quite often die of "a broken heart"!

Sorry for your losses!
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-17)
Aherr, wow that strange I only get pat on the shoulder after my dad died... My family don't believe after life knock on the door or rang the door bell. But I do believe them. I am sorry about ted it really sad then other family of his died too I am sorry about that too.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: