You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Daddy's Home... To Stay? 3

Real Ghost Stories

Daddy's Home... To Stay? 3

 

After the funeral, it was now time for the real work. As I had mentioned in my previous stories, my father had built his "retirement" home on the farmstead on land that we have had in the family for 120 years. He had built the home in the late 80's, and although it is a very well built home, it was showing it's age. Since I had to keep myself busy so soon after his death, I took on the task of modernizing this house so that someday I will be able to live there myself.

Dad's antics started immediately. He was very proud that he had done almost all the work on the house himself, and I started to suspect that he was not too keen on any changes. The day after the funeral, I decided that I would start with the small projects. The house had leaky taps and shut off valves, and doors that would not stay closed anymore. The first incident started with the taps. The master bathroom (Dad's bathroom) had a bucket under the shut off taps to catch water. A five-minute fix with new taps should have stopped the leaking... And they did... During the day.

For a week afterwards, I kept the bucket under the new taps to ensure that I had not installed them wrong. From the morning to when I went to bed in the late evening, the bucket stayed bone dry. When I got up in the morning 7 hours later, the bucket was completely full! I should have been able to hear that kind of dripping, but nothing. As I said, this went on for a week with a completely dry bucket and then a full one.

The next project was to fix the laundry room door. For a decade, the latch in the door had been stuck inside meaning that it would not stay shut. Whenever the window was open, the door would slam shut and bang. A little WD40 fixed the situation, and the door latched completely tight, until later that night.

At about 10PM as my other half and I were taking a break in the living room, a huge "bang" was heard (exactly the sound of the door hitting the frame from the breeze). One minute later, the same bang was heard. We looked at each other, and I went to the laundry room to investigate, as that is where the sound had come from. Just as I suspected, the door was shut tight as it had been before and this was only the beginning for the evening.

No later that 5 minutes after that, our Pomeranian dog started to act funny (My parents had had the same breed, but sadly they had to give it away when Dad got sick). She started to whine, and then jump off the couch and ran to Dad's room. I called her back, and she sat back on the couch. A few minutes later, she started whining again, and jumped off the couch and went to Dad's room again. I called her back, and scolded her for "freaking us out".

After I got her back on the couch and settled down, I heard a huge "bang" coming from the room. I told my other half that it was just the heating duct, but he said ^@$&%#! When we went to investigate, we found the handrail for the bathtub lying in the middle of the room. There was no way to explain how it had moved 3 feet over, let alone making that bang. The next day I tried to replicate the sound, and found out that it had to fall about 4 feet onto the carpeted floor for you to hear it in the living room.

I still have many stories to tell about the renovations and I hope to share them with you soon.

Other hauntings by paranormal

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, paranormal, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-21)
Wow what an interesting story. It was a great thrill to read. I'm sorry that your father passed away. Its always sad to hear when a close person must go on. I realy loved reading this story and would be overwhelmed to read more. Thanks again. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-20)
Thanks for sharing and for another good story. I agree with rhodes68 they are getting more intense.

They say that when a person passes and they had a certain place that they loved or loved to be in or at they tend to come back. I know this due to personal experience. You in your stories talk about how much love and work your father put into this property and now you are trying to change it (for the better of course). If this "ghost" is your dad he might be thinking "now that I am no longer around they are changing this so that it can be sold after all the work that I put into it" sometimes, things can be miss-interpreted. He seems to be a smart ghost at that! He might be trying to tell you that he does not want anything changed. Hence the plumbing and the door. I as everyone else recommend that you talk to your dad and tell him that you are not changing anything you are just trying to improve or give more durability to what he did and assure him that you are the one that will be in the home and no one else tell him you want to have your own family there as he once did. I'm sure that would make him proud and might leave you alone with his blessing. I'm sure you would not do anything to him in life to hurt his feelings and you'll not do it now that he has passed. You mean well you just need to make him understand that. Although it might seems weird to talk to the wind he will be hearing you and I am sure you will feel it yourself.

I am really sorry again for your loss and hope things get better. Good luck and keep us posted.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-19)
They say it's remodeling that can cause spirits to get perturbed. Hopefully your dad will realize you only mean to take care of the house not change it. Maybe he just wants you to know he's still supervising so to speak. It's wonderful that you can keep this property in the family and I'm sure your dad is happy that you are maintaining it and caring for it. Thing is you may have to also share it with his spirit. If you are ok with that, go for it. Doesn't sound like he is trying to interfer but just letting you know he still has his eye on the home he loved.
pinktot6 (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-18)
wow cheack out my story " my indian ghost" I think your like it
srry for you loss take care
katie100 (1 stories) (26 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-18)
When my dad was diagnosed with cancer I had dreams of him walking away into a bright light waving to me and saying he loves me!
I always woke up in tears nearly every night while he was still in hospital. Gradually he became better but I still suffer with horrible nightmares!
WeirdoIAm (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-18)
well, it sounds to me that he is trying to tell you that he is still his old self (I don't know whether your dad teased you playingly or not- but if he did maybe he is trying to tell you he won't change).
Or like rhodes68 said if you think it is your dad, tell him that, he did a brilliant job with the farm house when he was alive and that you will look after it and tell him not to worry.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-18)
Hello again paranormal-this story is getting more and more "intense"! Many of us including myself have experienced some kind of resentment while attempting to renovate a place although in some cases the energy was evidently quite satisfied with the changes.

Since you think this is your dad who's "reacting" to your efforts, I'd try speaking out loud to him, reassure him that what is done in the farm house is not meant to change or undermine his work but to improve what time has inevitably worn out. I can understand why the occurrences are disturbing even if you know who's behind them but I think your dad needs a little confirmation that what you're doing won't alter his home-it will just improve your stay and life in there.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: