You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Music Box

Real Ghost Stories

The Music Box

 

Two years ago on January 31, my mother passed away unexpectedly. She went to bed and when my father came in he realized that she was not breathing. We called an ambulance and spent two days in the hospital with her on life support before her body stopped working. There was no warning that anything was wrong and to this day the doctors are still baffled as to what caused her death, the only thing they could figure was her heart just stopped. For my family, and myself the hardest part was we were never able to say goodbye to her.

My older sister ended up taking a music box that was a coconut that had been cut in half and fitted with the workings of a music box. This belonged to my mother and she had it since she was a little girl. However, the music box had not played in over twenty years and part of the pieces that made it work had either fallen out or were so rusted they could not move.

About a year later, on January 30, I was at my sisters house by myself getting ready to go out with some friends. My sister lived closer than I did so I decided to get ready there. As I was getting ready to walk past the dresser where the music box sat, it began to play. Now, we had tried winding the box, and even taking it to get it fixed. Parts were missing and it was very rusted so it should not have played.

I sat down on my sisters bed and listened to the music for several minutes. As I listened, I realized the tune was "You Are My Sunshine", which is what my mother always used to sing to me. After my sister came home, I told her what had happened and she said it had been playing on and off since early that morning. It never played for her but it played for my nephew who was twelve at the time, and who was also my mother's favorite.

The music box played through January 31, and never played again. We still have it and we truly believe that a year later my mother came to say good bye.

I have several other stories about some of the experiences that I have had and will post them at a later date. Thank you for reading this and your input is appreciated.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sardogtrainer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Rodney (2 stories) (15 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-27)
-sardogtrainer-
Thanks for the story, it's a good pick-me-up. It's nice to hear positive connections as yours. Sad however there was a loss involved, but, I believe you are looking in the right direction as I'm sure your Mom would have wanted. Take what she has given you, the Goodbye, and grieve no more. I'm sure all she wants is for you to be happy, and maybe this was the best way she could find to express this.
Thanks again,
:-D
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-27)
WOW what a beautifull story. I realy enjoyed reading it. I'm very sorry for your loss. But its nice to know that your mom wanted to let you know that she is ok. That she loves you all. Thanks again for this remarkable story. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-23)
Hi Yeah My daddy died too and I never get to say goodbye either but I am sure his spirt standing by me to tap my shoulder cause he know I am deaf can't call on me but touch my shoulder while I was doing my homework and watch tv I was 17 that times.
gigglingmuse (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-23)
That is a beautiful story, thank you so much for sharing it. My mother's father passed away quite suddenly when she was 13, and it has been with her ever since that she never got to say goodbye. I am so HAPPY to hear that your mom came to say goodbye.
SnailBug (61 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-23)
That's such a sweet story. Thanks for sharing it, I enjoyed reading it...
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-23)
Hello sardogtrainer and welcome to our company! Thank you for sharing a sad, and yet, beautiful and comforting story that comes to prove beyond any doubt that those who pass on continue to live in a more perfect world than ours.

It is trully amazing to be given this affirmation that death in its physical form is not the end as we have long feared but a new beginning. I will not be surprised at all if your dearly beloved mother continues her special visits. Look for the signs!
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-23)
What a beautiful affirmation. My mother died within a week of getting sick and we were shocked as well but we did have the chance to be with her and say I love you. I can imagine how hard it was not to have that privlege but love has no boundaries and this story proves that. I am so happy that your mother was able to do this for your family. It's wonderful to be given a sign that the spirit survives bodily death and that none of us really die we just move on to another dimension and apparently spirits are able to move back and forth within these dimensions when needed. They say the veil between life and the afterlife is thin and I believe that to be true. Thankyou for sharing. It gives all who have lost loved ones much hope.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: