You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Cryptic Wake Up Call

Real Ghost Stories

Cryptic Wake Up Call

 

I want to put down as much detail as I can remember. I don't think that I have any particular gift for sensing spirits, but I believe that there's a human spirit haunting my home. Unlike some ghosts, though, he's not a very active spirit at all.

I'm not sure who this ghost is or what he looks like, but I believe that he lives mostly in our backyard and doesn't come inside much. My older sister once claimed to having seen someone walk through the backyard towards our side gate, but she couldn't see him very well since it was dusk. There is no entrance to the yard in the direction that the man came from. When she went to chase after him, there was no one there.

I also have two cats who are very good-natured and quite docile when inside - if they're not nagging for attention, they're napping somewhere. Whenever they go out to the yard alone, however, they act strangely from time to time. They'll get completely spooked and run back and forth across the yard at top speed, with fur raised and backs arched at seemingly nothing. I can't tell if they're chasing something or running away from something.

I don't think that this spirit is hostile or mischievous at all, though. He isn't very attention-seeking, and sometimes he does so little that I think I would forget him if not for the cats. That's why I never expected him to come to me directly.

It was July 12, 2006. The room that I was using then and still use now was my brother's room until about a year beforehand. I originally wanted my sister's room, since both of them were already out of the house, but I ended up in my brother's room instead and I've loved it since.

School had ended a couple weeks before, and I had just started getting used to keeping my alarm clock off. Still, as I woke up early out of habit, I was foggy enough to worry about being late for school when I remembered that it was Wednesday, and I looked at the clock to see that it was just after 8:00 a.m. Recalling my newfound freedom, I decided in my laziness to stay in bed for another couple hours. I knew that I would probably get up earlier than that, since it's hard for me to fall asleep again after waking up, but I just didn't want to move yet.

Some time later, I was lying on my side with my eyes closed, debating to myself whether or not to get out of bed since I was really bored. I always leave my door open a crack so that my cats can come in and out during the night. I heard something very softly push my door open wider, and the distinct sound of the floor creaking, slowly approaching my bed. I assumed that it was my mom; she always comes in to wake me up when I sleep in late, but she comes in so quietly and carefully that the creaking floor is the only way I can tell she's there (I tease her a lot about her bad tactics).

When the creaking came about halfway into my room, it suddenly stopped. I opened my eyes after a moment, expecting to see my mom, but there was no one there. I was surprised, but I chalked it up to the house being old and put it out of my mind. When I closed my eyes again, though, the creaking started back up. I ignored it at first, but it kept coming slowly towards my bed, until it was just a couple feet away. It paused for just a second, and I thought that it had ended, but then two fast creaks convinced me that something had all but leapt towards me.

Before I had any time to react, I felt a hand clamp onto the side of my head - firmly, but not aggressively - and hold me down to the pillow. I was about to open my eyes to see what was happening when a sudden breeze blew, as though someone had put their face inches away from mine and exhaled onto it. After that, I couldn't open my eyes since it still felt like someone's face was right in front of my own.

I was startled, but at the same time I was strangely composed. I remember wondering if I had fallen back asleep and this was a dream, but I constantly tried to sit up and clearly felt something preventing my head from budging even an inch. I'm positive that I wasn't dreaming. I could distinctly feel the large palm and the slender fingers of the hand, but it seemed more like they were made of condensed air, something almost solid and touchable, but still not quite a tangible material. It wasn't entirely cold, but there was no warmth from it, just like there was no warmth in the breath on my face.

I couldn't seem to speak either. I twisted my face uncomfortably from the feeling of soft breath on it, and I wanted to cry out for help a few times, but I couldn't quite get my voice to work or my mouth to open.

That was when I heard someone whisper harshly, "It's time to get up." The voice was very raspy and thin, like someone who was having trouble breathing. What was stranger was that it seemed to echo in my head more than it did in the room. Oddly enough, the voice actually calmed me down. It meant that I wasn't being randomly assaulted, but that there was actually a purpose for this weird treatment. I was suddenly more curious than I was frightened. I wanted to ask 'Why?' but I still couldn't speak.

The voice repeated, "It's time to get up." Again, I thought strongly, 'Why should I?'

This time, the voice bit back, "Why not?"

He sounded very sarcastic, and with good reason. I'm known for getting fleeting urges and randomly doing things like baking cakes at 10 at night for no real reason. Whenever people ask me why I'm doing it, I always come back with "Why not?"

The voice kept on repeating between breaths, "It's time to get up. It's time to get up now." I tried a couple more times to speak to him or to get an explanation, before I realized that it wouldn't work.

So I tried to do what he said and get up (as I'd been doing), but the hand was still keeping me from moving my head at all. I thought frustratingly to him about how I couldn't get up if his hand was holding me down. Instantly, the hand, the face, the breathing, and the raspy voice all dissipated. All the condensed air just dispersed and vanished.

I considered remaining in bed, but it was about then that what had just happened really hit me. I immediately sat up and stiffened unsurely, starting to feel panicked. When I looked at the clock, it said 8:32.

It still felt like I was being watched from somewhere by the windows or by one of the walls. I was afraid that he would come back if I didn't do as he said, but I had no complaints about running out of there like lightning to my mom downstairs. She was cooking, and she didn't notice how freaked out I was at first. I was confident that the ghost wouldn't follow me throughout the house, as long as I was out of my room. I tried to tell my mom what had just happened, but she doesn't really believe in the supernatural and insisted that I must have been dreaming.

I'm sure that I wasn't dreaming. I can never think so lucidly during dreams, they're never so tangible, and even my worst nightmares have never left me so frightened when they woke me up. Besides, I had no sensation of waking up when it all ended, no moment of tired disorientation or transition at all.

I haven't encountered our ghost since then, but I have a strong feeling that if I hadn't left my room when he told me to, something bad would have happened. When I went back to my room about half an hour later, everything was the same and there was no feeling of anyone being inside anymore.

That's everything that I can remember. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Other hauntings by Shia453

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Shia453, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-03)
Shia453:

On 10/28/08 you posted a comment on your above story correcting a previous post of yours, matching close contact with telepathy.
You were equally correct in matching close contact with the condensed air effect in your comment right before the correction statement, since that effect is felt on the skin of someone experiencing it.
I appreciate your story.
Shia453 (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-31)
Ah, something else. The reason that I said I don't know who this ghost is because I'm still not sure that he was the last owner, and also because I haven't pursued any information about the last owner, so I really... Know nothing about him. Even his name. Maybe one day I'll look up the documents and try to have a seance. Who knows?
Shia453 (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-31)
To Hoochler:

Even if I remembered what my dreams were when I woke up, I'd been awake for about half an hour. I'd mostly been thinking about nonsense: what my cats were doing, what shows I was missing, what I would have for breakfast. I was pretty much trying to fall back asleep, but I do that every time I have a chance to sleep in.

There -is- one person who this ghost may likely be. Our house was built in the 70s and had two owners before us. The last owner killed himself with the gas oven before his family moved out.

None of my family cares about this piece of information at all, it's inconsequential. Besides, whether this ghost is really him or someone else, he's so harmless and keeps to himself that we don't mind him. Especially me, since I'm the only one who's interested in the supernatural.
Muaviper (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-31)
This is to Emma2008,

You may explained it as "sleep paralyst", but have you even consider that your house may have supernatural beings that cause you to have these episodes? We use to live in a house that it only happens in one particular room. Whoever sleeps in that room will experience it. Now... Does that constitute that we all have "sleep paralyst" diseases in our genes as described by scientist. If it is that case then, it would happen in any of the 5 room that we live in. In our culture, we have a term for it. If it was to explain the name as is... It would go something like this: Fat Possesion.
Muaviper (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-31)
This seems like an example of "sleep paralyst", but in reality it is just merely a touch or possession of the supernatural beings that cause a person to be paralize and be in control. Luckily, that thing meant no harm to you.
Hoochler (1 stories) (263 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-31)
This was a great story, thank you Shia453 for posting it!

I have heard it said that when we sleep, our soul's interact with the astral plane (which is also where earth bound spirits reside). Our link to the astral plane (and ethereal plane for that matter) while we are still lucid is strongest at the edge of consciousness (drifting off to sleep and waking up).

Maybe this transition is made possible through the mechanism of brain wave changes or of "sleep energy" as discussed in other posts here, I am not sure about the specific mechanism responsible.

Shia453, do you remember what your dreams were before waking up? Perhaps you were interacting with the ghost in your dreams and he did not want to be reminded of (or asked about) some particular subject that came up. Maybe he was watching your dream like a movie and he did not like what he saw? Maybe he wanted your slumber to end so he could avoid some sensitive subject? Just postulating out loud, fodder for possible further discussion I suppose.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-31)
Wow this was an interesting story to read. Thank you for explaining many things for us. The more we know the more we understand. So I have to say you sure had a lot of activity going on in there. Thanks again for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Emma2008 (4 stories) (110 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-29)
This was nothing more than an episode of sleep paralysis. I'm sorry to disappoint you and take away all the paranormal from it. Take this from someone who experiences it very often. No matter how real you claim it was, it was just sleep paralyis. Please find and read "My History with Sleep Paralysis" on this site and stay tuned for some more stories that I will submit soon.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-29)
Hello Shia and thanks for narrating a fascinating encounter!

In the beginning of your description concerning this energy you kind of reminded me of another poster's experience, FRAWIN's Ancient One-too old, too slow as if he had forgotten who he was. More of a subtle and yet, clearly perceived energy travelling through the ages. But the last part of your story has definitely changed my mind as now I'm more inclined to think that your visitor isn't really that old. Don't get me wrong, I still think you're dealing with an old man who's slow moving and likes to keep to himself most of the time but his last manifestation and interaction with you tells me that he's been "observing" the family for quite some time. I'm not absolutely sure if he's a past resident or simply one who has been around for some time (maybe connected to the land). I don't think his intention was to harm you in any way. His urging you to get up reminds me more of my own grandfather who thought that staying in bed for too long was an act of idleness and one that should be avoided at all times. In his time, ladies-the proper ones 😊- were supposed to wake up early and find something "useful" to do around the house. Maybe your elder was trying to encourage you to do just that.
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-29)
Gloomy Sunday;

In one of your posts on this story you ask: Does anyone else think this has something to do with the type of energy we produce as we are sleeping?

Info on this point says that the lower our brainwave cycles per second, the deeper our awareness turns inward, into our subconscious.
If you look up brainstates online, you'll find that theta and delta are said to put us in touch with our subconscious at the deepest levels.

It would seem to follow that our minds are more open to some kinds of supernatural input when they are in either of the deepest brainwave states.
Shia453 (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-28)
Ah, my mistake. The close contact was about the telepathy comment <=P Still, I think I have a valid argument.
Shia453 (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-28)
I've always thought that spirits probably have to utilize the energy of the people that they're trying to communicate with to manifest themselves. As succubiluv said, that condensed air effect seems to only happen when the spirits are in close contact with us. After all, living things are constantly generating, using, and giving off heat and energy, but spirits aren't living. I haven't thought about the sleep energy, though, but it seems plausible. The brain is more active when we're asleep and works differently, so maybe that also makes us more open or sensitive to communicating with spirits.

Thank you also. I'm a writer, so I understand how important things like details are. Describing something personal so that other people can understand is all about telling it in a way that let's them put themselves in your shoes.
Shia453 (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-28)
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who's had a spirit speak to me in my mind. The only way to describe it really is like having a sudden thought, only that I'm not the one who brought the thought up and I'm imagining it with a voice that's not my own.

My experience was entirely harmless. I never felt any fear or danger throughout the whole thing. I freaked out afterwards, but I think that's just because it was so strange and unexpected that I didn't know how to react.

I suppose I can't be entirely sure that it was our yard ghost. Even if I don't have any spiritual senses, though, I have the feeling that I would be able to tell if there was another ghost in our house. Like the differences in how you might feel towards two different people. I can't say that I "feel" or "sense" his presence much, but sometimes I start thinking about him for no real reason or I see my cats running around outside and I get the idea that it probably means he's nearby.

My cats have been like that for years, especially as they've gotten older. They're 7 years old now, and over the last few months they've become a lot needier. They stand outside by the door and whine for us to come outside with them a lot more. I can't say that this is because of the ghost though; it could just be a personality change since they're now seniors.

My sister doesn't live at home anymore. She saw the ghost a while before the incident happened, but not since. The only other ghost that she's experienced in this house was her late cat, Guru, after he died and came to meow good bye one night.
Oglegen (6 stories) (61 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-28)
I love this story! And it was very well written, especially the dialogue between you and the spirit. This seems like a mid-way between a sleep paralysis experience and a waking spirit encounter. This is the kind of thing I would imagine the ghost in the house I grew up in doing. It wasn't evil, per se, or even bad, but it was there all the same, interacting, wanting to makes its presence known, and not overly friendly... How interesting you haven't had any encounters since... Maybe it gave up after that!
GloomySunday (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-28)
Oh, I also would like to say that I liked your writing style. Part of the reason I enjoyed reading about your experience was because you wrote it in a way that was easy to understand. As I writer, it was refreshing for me to read something so descriptive and well-writen. ❤
GloomySunday (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-28)
This was very interesting to read. I, too, believe that spirits can form links with us in our minds and comunicate with us that way, but has anyone else noticed that this seems to happen mostly when we are sleeping lucidly or just waking up? Does anyone else think this has something to do with the type of energy we produce as we are sleeping?
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-28)
Hi Shia453
Thank God you have not had anymore encounters. I have a few questions. You say the ghost in the yard keeps himself to himself, and basically stays in the yard not attention-seeking. How can you be sure it was him? Do you still feel his presence or see him in the yard? How have the cats been after this incident? What about you sister, has she seen him again.

Maybe it was not the ghost in yard but another entity.

Keep us posted should anything else occurr.
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-28)
For clarity, my statement in paragraph 3 of my previous post should read: "though this may not happen or be possible as a general rule without close contact".
BriFischer05 (14 stories) (169 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-28)
Def a supernatural experience. I have a story similar to this posted on this site. The way you described the voice in your head totally matches what I have experienced. I had a ghost say sarcastically to me once after banging on the window, "Yea, that woke em up!"...Its hard to pin down the way you sense or hear it. All I can describe is that it was just in my head but not of my own thought. Good story, thanks.
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-28)
Hello Shia453;

The condensed air effect that you mention in paragraphs 10 and 17 is also mentioned in the comments on a story on this site entitled "PHANTOM HOUSE?" Your experience was definitely no dreamstate event. As you found out firsthand, the compressed or pressurized air effect you sensed is a semi-corporeal energy form which is used by spirits to mimic physical body parts.

Your story is very realistic.
Spirits can be extremely sarcastic, sometimes with a tinge of humor, sometimes with a sharp bitterness in the tone and connotation, and they are experts at dealing out insinuations meant to insult.

Also, as your story shows, some or all spirits can forge a telepathic link between our minds and theirs which seems to be based on close contact with us, though this may not happen or be possible as a general rule.

Your experience was pretty harmless.
I enjoyed reading about it.
Lex (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-28)
I only had an experiance with a house ghost once in my life like that. I never really believed in ghosts as a kid, barring the time when I felt my grandad came to say goodbye to me. I was having a sleep over at a friends house and she was telling me about the protective house ghost they had, I told her it was nonsense and I went to sleep, within a matter of seconds it felt like someone had purposely stood within millimeters of my ear! Hard on the pillow, I felt the dent it made, I never jumped so high in my life, my friend just laughed and told me never to doubt a house spirit, I haven't since.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: