You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: The Little Black Imp

Real Ghost Stories

The Little Black Imp

 

This story takes place when I was maybe 4 years old. I was raised by my paternal Grandmother, my Great Aunt, Bet and her daughter, Lena who was my grown cousin.

Growing up in that old cotton-mill house I didn't have a room of my own, but would take turns sleeping with the three adults. This happened one summer night when I was sleeping in my Cousin Lena's room which we also called the back room.

The rest of the house was in a square shape with four rooms that opened directly into each other with no hallway between. The back room was an extra, half-room that opened off the living room and was long and narrow. Apparently it had been added onto the house later. There was one big window to the left of the bed and beside it was a wardrobe.

This particular night was warm, so the window was up, but it had a screen on it. Lying there in the dim light of the street lamp, I heard a rustling sound outside the window. I looked and saw coming through the window... Right through the closed screen, the figure of a little black imp about 12 inches tall.

I could not make out any features because of the dim light, but I could plainly see the outline of a pointed hat on its head. This little figure climbed through the window, walked back and forth for a while on the floor at the foot of the bed, then disappeared right through the closed wardrobe door.

I never saw it again, but I saw plenty of other unusual things in that old house. I suspect that wardrobe might have been the site of some sort of portal. On another occasion, I walked into that room at night after my Cousin was already in bed, and saw what appeared to be the shadow of a moving skeleton on the wall above the headboard of the bed. That scared me pretty bad and I didn't want to sleep in that room anymore after that.

Other hauntings by Spockie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Spockie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Thetruth666 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-28)
Hi I had a genuine expereice with an imp, it approached me and was doing something I have a 500 word story on it desrcribing exactly what I saw, and yes it had a pointy hat like a chinese rice picker. I will submit my story on monday
BlaueEngel (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-21)
I saw something similar when I was in Germany, it was about that height, only it was furry and no hat. It had tufted ears like those of a long-haired cat, but its eyes had whites and it walked like a monkey, alternating between walking on all-fours and on its hind legs. It had sharp canine teeth as well. It had a long tail that was dark brown, but not furry like its body. Its fur was black, but in the sun it seemed like a chocolate brown color. It was coming towards me through an open window with a very intense gaze, but when the church rang its bells, it looked thwarted and made a hasty escape through the window. I thought I had lost my mind when I saw this thing. Was this what you saw?
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-04)
LOL. I'm cool with that, White Buffalo. 😊

I'm going to post another story today. Stay tuned for more of my adventures.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-03)
Oh, no, no, no, I DID NOT mean to imply that YOU were the reason for the occurrences. I am sorry, I must have mis-wrote.
I did just go back and reread what I wrote, and I can see where you would get that. I meant in that the ADULTS in your life...
Uh. How to explain. SOME adults are "teenagers". They act like them, talk, dress, and imitate them as a means to retain their youth. Either that, or they simply think it is appropriate, or that they look good. Some can pull it off. Others can not.
From some of the things that you went through, it would sound, to me, as if at least ONE of the adults there WERE a "teenager". That is where the "age is irrelevant" comes in.
Chronological age has NOTHING to do with mental age.
I am sorry. I DO NOT think YOU manifested ANY of this. I think you were just in the right place at the wrong time. Or that you were in the wrong place at the right time. Depending on your outlook.
Thank you again.
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-03)
White Buffalo, I agree with you for the most part. However, I don't think this stuff was projecting from me as most folks think about a poltergeist. Like I said, I believe my Great Aunt probably was the catalyst and these things fed off her anger and off my fear. I appreciate your comments very much.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-31)
Well, Spockie,
I would say that the conditions were right in that home that you grew up in to HAVE such experiences. It would sound as if the rocky existence of your youth could have been the catalyst needed to make such beings appear. Remember, age is irrelevant. Everyone develops at a different age. To say that someone around the age of thirteen is the youngest to be able to have a poltergeist in their home would be a vast injustice to the MIND of someone who experienced it when they were ten.
Turmoil creates a kind of door. Turmoil, guilt, anger, distrust, all of those emotions have a "branch off" emotion. And that is fear. Some who are feel very angry, are not actually angry. They are SAD about something. Some who feel very guilty, FEAR that they may again make the same mistake that they are feeling so guilty about.
You do not have to take my word for it, feel free to look it up. I am not a psychiatrist, I only had connections through them for my children.
Fear is a big reason for some people seeing the things they do. This is highly probable in your case as for the upbringing that you have endured.
Learn from it. Let it help you grow. Let the lesson form you into the kind of adult that seeks out answers and questions anything that is not iron clad.
I thank you for your honest answers. I appreciate you NOT thinking I was being rude, or simply trying to drag on a question. Thank you for THIS lesson of yours that can HOPEFULLY help others to understand what they, themselves, MAY be going through, or DID go through.
Thanks again.
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-30)
White Buffalo, I also wanted to state that my Great Aunt was a very sour tempered person. I think it wasn't all her fault, though. She seemed to have developed both physical and mental problems in her old age and should not have had the added stress of a young child in the home. I have forgiven her for all of that and pray for her. However, she did verbally abuse me very often when I was a child and tell me how worthless I was and how she wished I had never come there. So, I believe that kind of negative energy in the home attracted negative spirits which feed off strong emotions. I think she was the center and the catalyst for all of it. I believe also that the spirit of her mother, my Great Grandmother, stuck around to try and help both her... And me. As for the other two persons in the house, my dear Grandmother was a wonderful and sweet person who loved me very much, and I adored her. My cousin viewed me as sort of a living doll she could dress up and buy things for, but never showed any real affection. It was a strange household... But I survived my somewhat turbulent childhood and made a success of my life later on.
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-30)
White Buffalo, my cousin was in her 40's at this time. She was the daughter of my Great Aunt and the niece of my paternal Grandmother. There was always a lot of fussing and fighting in the home between the three women, and I was often verbally abused. I believe whenever there is a lot of stress and ill humor in a home, it kind of opens doors for things like this to happen. And, children are often able to see things that adults can't. I don't think I was the center of the disturbances, but I was receptive and these things often tried to scare me. I believe there were good spirits around as well to protect me.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-29)
Thanks again, Spockie.
I was just trying to get a "feel" for who you are. 😊
Being as to how this happened when you were all of four years old, it would be utterly preposterous for me to tell you that it was all a figment of your imagination (because MOST, on this site at least, people agree that children have a "higher sense" of the Spiritual (I am NOT trying to make fun of ANYONE), it would be equally discrediting for me to tell you this demon made it into your house. How traumatic would THAT be?!
From what I can tell, you had one experience with the wee one (that way we can keep things straight 😊), one experience with a seemingly unconventional skeletal shadow man, and perhaps a portal of some kind in that wardrobe.
In that you were but four at the time (that IN NO WAY discredits this story, in fact, in MY mind that solidifies it) we would have to look more at what was going on in the FAMILY life of the home. You did not seem over anxious to converse with the wee one, and you confess that the skeletal shadow frightened you (Yeah, no KIDDING. I would have been a bit...well, yeah, scared, too).
What kinds of things centered about the wardrobe that would cause you to think that it may have been a portal?
Your cousin is how different than you in age? Older or younger? And do you recall how old you were when you saw the shadow above the bed?
You see, the reason I have asked all of these questions, that I am SURE you are sitting there thinking "What the heck does that have to do with the story?", probably NOT in those words, but, is that there MUST have been a reason for a child who was four to see at least two entities that the environment let know were demons.
Do you see what I am saying?
MOST children (at least my own, and the ones I have read of their experiments) do not USUALLY see beings that are thought to be evil things. MOST only see things that they can "handle", even if it IS with the help of Mama and Dad.
When it comes to things IN THE HOUSE.
Dreams are an entirely different thing altogether. Some children could honestly BE the next Edgar Allan Poe if they wrote straight out of their dreams.
Do you recall if there was any disturbance going on in the home at that time?
Thank you.
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-29)
Yes, I believe there are just angels, demons and humans spirits. Again, that's just my opinion. I'm not trying to force my beliefs on anybody else. After all, nobody really knows anything for sure, do we? LOL. And, I do like to hear about other people's opinions.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-29)
Thank you again Spockie,
It makes perfect sense to me. Thank you for the explanation.
Mind if I clarify that? I am not trying to act stupid, or to make you feel stupid. Believe me, that is the furthest thing from my mind. I AM interested in your thought process, though.
So, basically, you think that anything that is not strictly Ghosts, Spirits, Angels, are demonic. Did I get that right?
I ask because some people would think that the Elementals are the same as a soul of the thing it "represents".
Just interested, nothing else.
Thank you.
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-29)
Personally, I think the non-human entities are all demon spirits and that they manifest in different ways. I think they are all shape shifters and like to imitate people at times, and at other times they choose to appear as monsters, fairies, space aliens, whatever shape they choose for whatever purpose they have in mind. I don't expect everybody to agree with me or believe as I do, but from all I've personally experienced and from the many accounts I've read from other people, together with the teachings of the Bible and my personal religious experiences, that's what I believek. I believe they somehow feed off of our emotions, especially fear.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-27)
Interesting comment, Spockie.
You believe that ALL non-human type entities are the same? So, you would believe that a Banshee is the same as, say a Wild Hunt? Or that a Ogopogo and a Carcharocles megalodon are the same?
Or do you mean that you believe them all to be CATEGORIZED as the same thing?
Thank you.
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-27)
White Buffalo, I said imp because I have heard small shadowy figures referred to as imps before. I could not see any clothing, just what appeared to be a pointed hat.

However, it is my personal opinion that non-human entities are actually all the same thing. They are simply able to assume whatever form they choose to at the time.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-24)
Shadow people are NOT Spiritual Souls, ghostseer?
I am not following your train of thought here, and I am desperately trying to.
According to Mystic Blaze, "... The Shadow People are actually spirits whose energy is denser than what we usually encounter as far as apparitions are concerned. This suggests that they are essentially the same as a spiritual orb or vortex - just more dense than most. Photographic evidence indicates that orbs and vortexes with enough density can and do cast shadows, and though we apparently cannot see a Shadow Person itself with the naked eye, it is a dense enough entity that we can also see the shadow it casts."
Members of the International Ghost Hunters Society believe that shadow people could be ghosts that don't quite have the energy or ability to manifest themselves in a more favorable or familiar shape.
"Some believe that shadow people are merely one form of the ghosts of those who have passed on. Others believe they are evil beings or demons that mean to cause us harm. Still others believe they are inter-dimensional beings that slip into our realm on occasion but live primarily in another dimension or another time. They feel shadow people are time travelers of sorts and don't really belong in our realm. And then, of course, there are those who believe shadow people are alien beings here to observe the human race." According to Jason Offutt.
Would you mind terribly providing me with some documentation that these may NOT be Spiritual Souls? I am ALWAYS looking to expand my mind. 😊 The only GOOD investigation is one that is researched.

Again, Spockie, I would have to ask you to look further for the explanation to what it is that you saw that night.
Maybe research the Internet for an image of what you recall. The suggestion of a gnome was just MY way of giving you an extra "something" to think about. I did not necessarily mean that this WAS a gnome.
Thank you.
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-24)
Memories become fixed in our minds, and some memories will change over the years. Those memories that are the strongest, are usually experiences that will stay with us until our last day on earth.Note; It may not have been wearing a hat. What you describe sounds like shadow people. We are not sure what they are, but they are not spiritual souls. It's almost like they are dark-black, shadowed... To cloak themselves. I think they must be a type of observer. From where?...I don't get a good feeling about them, but who knows. They have not harmed anybody, as far as I know. They are usually seen scampering across doorways/hallways/windows etc. Almost always disappearing, and leaving one to wonder, "why"... 😕
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-24)
it's amaizing the things the impact you as a child you don't see to ever forget specially at that age. I have a story posted here about an imp that my mom saw getting in my moms crip actually they were a bunch of them.
I bet that must have been scarry for you! My daughter is about that age and she would have thought that it came to play with her!
😉
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-24)
dreamergal72, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&defl=en&q=define:imp&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title, can answer a few of the questions that you may have about Imps. It IS an overview, so some "extra research would be necessary. But it IS a starting point.
You could see the outline of a pointed hat?
From what I understand about Imps, I would have to ask you to look further for the explanation to what it is that you saw that night. Imps are most generally unclothed.
However, the earth elemental, Gnomes, DO wear the pointy hat (though not exclusively. Please do not get me wrong.)
At any rate, you were not disturbed, only in that you lost sleep after this incident. But I am sure that it MUST have made you curious about the world and what is there that some others can not see.
Thank you.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-10-23)
Hey Spockie can you explain to me what is imp I am sorry I never seen one before and also I have grandma's house very old let me guess your grandma's house make noise like grun or boom when walking on the floor and other thing like noise that old house make sounds Right. If that your does so is my grandma's house too.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: