You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunting At The Great Sand Dunes?

Real Ghost Stories

Haunting At The Great Sand Dunes?

 

This is less of a story, and more of a question. A question as to if it were a real haunting. I'd say I've experienced my fair share of paranormal things, but I'm still very, unaccustomed I guess when it comes to determining if something is actually supernatural or not. I suppose it also doesn't help that I'm naturally a paranoid person. So, anyway that's where your opinion comes in handy.

Some friends and I went up to The Great Sand dunes last month for a birthday/end of the summer camping trip. It was absolutely gorgeous! Though, it seemed like everyone else seemed to have the same idea as us and went camping the very same weekend. The campgrounds at the sand dunes were completely packed. Also, we weren't too eager to camp there if there did happen to be an opening just because each respective campground seemed to be 10-15 feet from the next.

We decided to stay at place maybe 1-1 1/2 miles back called Oasis campgrounds. They happened to be much nicer, and much more secluded. After driving around for a bit we decided on a spot and started unloading the vehicles and deciding where to pitch the tents. My boyfriend and I found a nice, flat spot near a tree and started getting to work. Having not been camping in a very, very long time myself, and my boyfriend not since he was about 5, we had to buy all new camping gear. Brand new tent, sleeping bags, etc. The tent had never been removed from the box, or the plastic sealing prior.

We finished putting up the tent and then placed the front mat on the ground. I stepped away for just a moment to grab a rock or something to hold the mat down with. I came back a second later, and the mat had blown a couple feet or so in the wind. I grabbed it, and on the bottom there was a perfect, absolutely perfect dirty foot print of a person. It was a bare foot print of what we determined was a woman because of the shape of the foot.

Now, there was only three of us there, me, being the only female. Also, all of us were wearing our shoes. It was fairly cold out, and not exactly the most comfortable place to be walking around barefoot so needless to say, we all had our shoes on. The mat again was just out of the box, never stepped on by any of us with or without shoes. My boyfriend being freaked out by this for some reason decided to throw the mat in the trunk of his car. After awhile we forgot about it and continued with getting a campfire started and what not.

After awhile my boyfriend and I headed off for bed and fell asleep fairly quickly. Late in the night, what had to be I think about 3:00 am I heard footsteps around the tent. At first I thought it was my friend but by the sound of the footsteps, I determined there was no way it could have been a nearly 6ft 190 lb man. They were very small, and very quick. I thought it may be an animal, like a fox or something but it just circled the tent continually. Then it stopped near my side of the tent and sounded like it was rubbing two rocks together and then banging them together.

I listened to this for about 15 minutes when I decided to wake up my boyfriend and ask him if he heard the same sound. He did. It would walk around the tent several times, and then stop on either side and scratch and bang the rocks together (at least that's what it sounded like it was doing.) We both lay there listening to it for what seemed like an hour. Finally I decided that it was there for so long that whatever it was had no intention of harming us, so I made an attempt to get back to sleep.

What really terrified me was when I was sitting up listening to it, it sounded like it was on my boyfriends side of the tent, but the instant I put my head down it sounded directly behind me. My boyfriend confirmed that the same thing happened to him. Neither of us was able to fall asleep that night. We sat there listening to this until the sun started to come up and it just disappeared.

The next day we told my friend about it and he said that he had heard something walking by his tent too, but it wasn't nearly as freaky and only lasted a couple seconds. That day four other friends came and met up with us at the campground. My boyfriend and I decided to move our tent to another location not only because of what had happened but also because the ground was quite painful. Our other friend put his tent in the place we had it previously.

Honestly, the second night was more of a party and if there were any strange occurrences we weren't paying any attention to them. We tried to keep the footprint on the mat in tact, but it was put back away with the rest of the camping gear. If I thought there was any chance of it still being there I would pull it out and take a picture, but I'm sure it's not there any longer. I didn't have a camera with me at the time. Which for numerous reasons was a mistake. I digress.

What would you call this? Someone told me the footprint might have been from someone that previously stepped on the ground and due to moisture the mat picked up the print. I've never heard of that though, and the mat was just placed on the ground, there was no pressure on it to pick up something like that if it were possible. Could the sound have been an animal? But why was it circling our tent for so long, and what was the scratching and banging sounds? Someone suggested it might have been a haunting from a Native American.

Any ideas or information on this would be awesome. Thanks for reading!

Other hauntings by killingkilgore

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, killingkilgore, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

killingkilgore (3 stories) (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-01)
Thanks, Rossimac! Sorry it took so long for me to respond. Lost the internet at work for quite some time. Anyway, to answer your question: Yes, it was my boyfriend from the other story. We've been together for 7 years and the first story happened around our 1st or 2nd year together. The Sand Dunes trip was last year. So, I highly doubt that the same ghost from his old apartment would suddenly pop up at the Great Sand Dunes 5 or more years later. I guess anything is possible though 😉
Rossimac (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-14)
Intriguing stories... You write well and do a good job giving background information on all your stories. Not sure if this was the same boyfriend from the other story (apartment story), but if so... Could it have possibly been the spirit of the '70s girl following? I've heard of spirits having that ability.
-R
scardycat (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-29)
Almost this exact same thing happened to us when we went camping. Scariest night of my life. To this day we don't know what it was. We actually checked a few times and never found anything. My boyfriend and I went camping with my brother and his wife in Palo Duro Canyon in Texas. Right after we all layed down in the same tent we heard something circling. I tapped on my friend and she just nodded and looked scared to death. Then we all heard it and were dead silent. Finally they opened the tent and nothing was there. So, once again tried to sleep. Not me, I was wide awak and immediately the noise started. After a few minutes we got the courage to all run out to the car and turn the lights on. Nada! Drove around until daylight we were so scared. There were no foot prints the next day of animals or anything. To this day, we all have no idea. I'll probably never sleep in a tent again. SORRY! This should've just been a story. By the way, this was right around the time Blair Witch came out. So, we were all scared to death!
killingkilgore (3 stories) (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-28)
Thanks for the comments guys. Leanne and dreamergal, thanks for the idea. I actually didn't think of doing that before. I'll look into it. Ghostseer it was pretty scary and I really had no desire to go out and see what it was for that reason. I know it didn't harm me, and seemed to have no intention to, either way, it was scary. Honestly, from the way the footsteps sounded and as I mentioned the way they were on one side of the tent and suddenly the other without walking to the otherside, certainly doesn't sound human. Also, why would someone walk around our tent consistently like that for 3 or more hours? That also doesn't explain the footprint. Anyway, thanks again!
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2008-10-27)
I wouldn't think about it too hard. Since you didn't go check on it by leaving the tent (Which is what I would have done). If it was paranormal, it didn't hurt you. If it wasn't paranormal, you didn't get hurt. I have stories like this from other campers. There are people who look for tents way off in the distance, and they think it's funny to scare them...Sad, but true...Blessings, Ghostseer
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-27)
Don't know camped for years never heard anything but natural noise. But I have known others that heard much more. Don't know if real or not.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-26)
Wow I never like sleep in camp tent cause of m... Or FLy or whatever, I never have any experience in tent with my ex step sisters and ex stepmom I didn't sleep that long I just get out of tent and found my daddy in the car sleep so I sleep in there. Yep I am spoiled heehee... You might want to to look for the background of the campground leanne is right about it. But what you say about footprint it remind me of very along time ago before we born it like caveman/women you never know. What you think? Well If you want to to chat it wgoddessofmoon [at] yahoo.com so you welcome to it.
Leanne (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-26)
That was a very intriquing and creepy story.

It gives me chills when I hear of something walking around a tent and making noises when camping... It happened to me once but I will say it was only a bear cub looking for food. Was very thankful the mom didn't come by to help her cub...😆


It is very hard to say what it could have been. Maybe do some research on the campground area to see if there were any type of native amercian sites and rituals that were done there?

Good luck on your search for answers. ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: