You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Abandoned Mine in the Mendenhall Valley

Real Ghost Stories

The Abandoned Mine in the Mendenhall Valley

 

Most of the paranormal encounters I've shared have occurred in my home. This one, however, took place miles from my home and only I was the witness. I live in the Mendenhall Valley in Juneau, and the high school I attend is downtown, so it's quite a ride just to get to school and back. Sometimes, my family and I go for a car trip and just drive around downtown out of sheer boredom. On this occasion, it was my parents' anniversary and my dad wanted to show my mom this neat trail he'd noticed while at work. We all got in the car (me, my brother, and our parents) and drove downtown. The trail leads up one of the mountain sides and the hike, if you go all the way, takes about a day. We decided to just walk up the trail to the old entrance to one of the mines that are scattered around here.

All of these mines are closed down and have been for decades. Because of this, they are dusty and dark and just plain creepy. Anyway, once we got to the old mine, outside, there was this little exhibit that showed some of the old tools used in the mines. My parents and brother were checking that out while I wandered around aimlessly (I seem to have a short attention span). I started kicking this rock around and it happened to land inside the mine. I followed it, and then I realized where I was. There was this rusted gate that had the sign, "Closed, do not enter" and stuff like that. About ten feet or so past the gate was this really big pile of rocks that sealed off the rest of the shaft. I'd assumed that this was one of the many mines that had caved in.

It was mid afternoon, so when I started to get a chill, I noticed almost right away. The underground wind shifted direction and, instead of blowing towards me, it started to pull me closer to the gate. Inside, I could suddenly see four or five men dressed in these dirty white shirts and jeans with suspenders. They all had a pick on their shoulder and they stopped walking as they seemed to notice me watching them. They had no eyes, just these black, empty holes, and I couldn't move. I was suddenly overcome with this feeling of absolute despair and fear. Simultaneously, the men stretched out their free hands and pointed their fingers at me, almost as if they were accusing me of something.

Next thing I knew, my mom had a hold of me and was shaking me and yelling, "Tiffany, Tiffany, what's wrong? What happened?" I realized that I was out of the covered entrance to the mine and I wasn't feeling quite so despairing. I answered my mom with, "I'm fine," or something to that affect. Apparently, while I was watching the men, my parents and brother had started to hike back down to the car. My mom noticed that I wasn't with them and went back to find me. Once she got back to the mine entrance, she heard me making this horrible noise. She told me that she ran and grabbed me, saying that I was deathly white and staring at something that wasn't there and saying over and over, "I didn't do it, I didn't do it".

She pulled me away from the mine and then I was fine. I didn't even remember anything past seeing the men pointing at me, and I told her what I saw, but she didn't see the men and thought that I'd just had an episode or something. I forgot about it and didn't really think much of it. This happened in the middle of the day, around 2:00 in the afternoon, and we were no where near the river or our house. The more I thought about what I'd seen, the more I realized that those men must've died when the mine caved in. Why they accused me of it, I don't know. But I haven't gone there since. At least, not that far up the trail. The lower half is used as an outside run for gym class, and whenever I go on that trail, the spot behind my right ear starts to hurt and it gets worse and worse until I almost can't stand it.

Any one have any insight into why I might be feeling that? Any input would be welcome.

Other hauntings by unguided_traveler

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

akrose59 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-05)
Hi I'm curious about what trial you used in the Mendenhall valley,
I would like to go there and check it out?
Walter_R (1 stories) (81 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-13)
Well I've been reading all of your stories and I find them all interesting. I found out your gender this time and it was driving me nuts trying to figure out if you were a guy or a girl. So your a girl! *LOL* Well be carefull even more so with these demons.

Take care,

Walter 😁
arum (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-17)
The reeason I think that your ear hurts because its a mark a sort of mark called a spirit mark. Its also known as a birth mark these mark a attached to a spirit and you can only get rid of them y actually canronting them. Just say "You have no reason to be here! Leave now! And it really works.
Kenichi_Taro (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-19)
Your stories are great! I've read all of them! I think I know what happened, though. Sometimes, people (like you) create creepy images with their minds. In a matter of a few years (or minutes, in your case), these images become so strong they become phantasms that aren't just images any more, and can even harm OTHER people. Like, for example, when my friend was taken to some house by some creep's image of satan, even though she's not religious (FYI: neither am I). Good luck taking care of this stuff! 😊
scampwild (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
Something about those miners... I'm from Palmer, and I'm almost irresistibly attracted to the entrances at Hatcher's Pass. I've never gone in, and after your story, I'm really glad.
Hexotericka (6 stories) (45 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-05-08)
I know this was posted more than a year ago, but I find this story compelling. Why there haven't been more comments to it I don't quite understand.

What happened to you must have been a frightening experience, especially the men looking at you and pointing in an accusing manner.

In my opinion (and it is merely an opinion), I think they might have been a bit bitter about their deaths and envious of your life, thus the accusing stares and pointing.

As for the pain behind your right ear, it may be a psychosomatic reaction to the rather traumatic memory you have of the place.

Best wishes,
Hex
Alexa (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-03-13)
these ghost stories are starting to freak me out! I can't sleep at times and I can but then I wakeup with these weird noises and dreams. I can't believe this really happened along time ago its really creepy

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: