You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Tours & Haunted Hotels :: The Myrtles

Real Ghost Stories

The Myrtles

 

My wife and I left Natchez, Mississippi the morning after my encounter with Madeline. (This story is related in my first post-entitled "Madeline".) The next stop on our road trip was New Orleans.

We were traveling south on Route 61 and not long after entering Louisiana I saw a sign for the city of St. Francisville. This jogged something in my memory but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Soon after, I saw the sign for The Myrtles Plantation as we zipped past it. I'm sure most readers of this site are familiar with the history of The Myrtles.

I pulled over as soon as I could and asked the wife if she wanted to go back and take a look around. She said I was a glutton for punishment, but, sure, she wanted to see it.

We went back and my first impression was "if I was a ghost this might be the place to be, but as a traveler I'm not stopping here". I have to assume that the shabby exterior is intended to give a spookier atmosphere.

We signed up for the next tour and had some time to kill so we walked around the outside of the building taking pictures and hoping to see something. No ghosts cooperated.

Our tour guide gave us the history of the house and it's unearthly occupants. One story I found interesting was that of a producer from the "Oprah" show who had been a guest at the inn not long before. She had left very suddenly at around 3am. She wouldn't talk about why she was leaving, she just went.

Since it is an operating inn, you only get to see a few rooms. The main hall is supposed to be an active "ghost" area and the only place photos are allowed. I took some pictures with no results. My wife said she had felt suddenly cold in a parlor that had been a bedroom at one time. I can't say I saw or felt anything.

As we walked back to the car I was saying how disappointed I was that this was the second supposedly "Most Haunted" house I've been to (the other being the Whaley House in San Diego; my wife and daughter opted to wait outside) and I have yet to see or feel anything.

I pulled out on to the highway and as I accelerated something white flew up and over the windshield. It was like a white sheet had been lying on the hood of the car and blew up and over. My first thought was "did I really see that?". Second thought was "did I hit something?" but there had been no noise and I couldn't see anything in the mirrors.

I glanced over at my wife and asked if she had just seen something. She said "Oh yeah. Just keep driving." After a moment she added, "Sure you want to go to those cemeteries in New Orleans?"

I know this isn't much of a sighting but it's what I saw.

Other hauntings by ABFine

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ABFine, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

luckkyme (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-14)
Oh thanks! I looked it up and it does look very interesting thanks so much!:)
sunset_savage (17 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-14)
Hi lucky. You might want to check out The Haunting of America by Troy Taylor. It has an accurate history of The Myrtles, as well as many other haunted sites. Pretty interesting stuff.
luckkyme (6 stories) (63 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-14)
I know I'm very behind on reading this story too but I am reading a book about the lady who owns the plantation now, and her experiences there. Its a very interesting place and has me completely fascinated with it right now ha ha. Thanks for sharing your experience there, it was very interesting!:)
DrPeteVenkman (3 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-30)
How did your visit to N.O. Go? Did you take one of the French Quarter's haunted house tours? Hopefully it was the one that takes you to Le Petite's attic; that place is thick with paranormal tension.

I had a few friends at Southeby's who let me look around the Delphine Lalaurie house (pretty effin' creey) but I'm pretty sure it's no longer open to tours.

Either way, this is a great city for paranormal history. I hope you get to take it all in while you're here.
Missy (2 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-31)
I live in Louisiana and have been to the Myrtles. I agree the house does look spooky and they could change some of that up. The grounds are beautiful but the house itself is just OK.

Remember ghost don't always jump out at you and say BOO, you could of seen somthing.

I have only stayed in the house once, but have stopped by several times. One trip I was on the front courner of the house and the wind picked up and I thougth I heard children laughing. Walking around the house I did not see any children there that day. It could of just been my imagination getting carried away, but who knows.
Sandy (3 stories) (48 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-31)
Oh yeah! Of couse The Myrtles! It is definatly a place I will visit soon. I had a friend that moved not too far from there and I have always wanted to see what all the talk is about. I enjoyed your stories, esp Madeline. I look forward to reading the next stories you have to share about the adventures in La. Thank you for sharing! 😁
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-30)
I live life in the paranormal zone, so I don't need to go to places like the Myrtle Plantation. I bet you got a brief taste to carry away with you. It made you write this story, so it meant something. Ghost encounters do not always happen when you want them or expect them. You are welcome to read some of my experiences on my web site www.ghost-e.com, I have been dealing with Ghosts, etc for all my life. There is a Question and Answer page that might help answer some of your questions. Never discount your experiences. They ALL have a meaning...Blessings, Ghostseer
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-30)
Wow, that interest story I been want to to go to myrtle but never got the chance But I live in Louisiana anyway.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: