You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: A Room Full Of Shadow People

Real Ghost Stories

A Room Full Of Shadow People

 

This happened when I was about 8 years old so it would have been around 1977. A friend of my brother's had just been killed in a car accident and I was having a nightmare about her. I awoke and was startled to find people standing in my room.

There were two beds, mine and my older sister's. I looked over at my sister and saw who I thought was her sitting on her bed and her elbows were on the little table next to her bed and her hands were closed into fists and she had her chin propped on them. I could see she had a braid on each side of her head and I remember my sister had gone to bed with two ponytails, not braids. I kept calling out to her, but she didn't answer.

There was also a person in the middle of the room, another one leaning over me and one by the window. There was also one in my doorway, blocking it. They all just stood there motionless looking like 3-D shadows. They had dimensions, only they were solid black.

I slid off of my bed to avoid touching the one leaning over me and went around the one in the middle of the room to stand at the foot of my sister's bed, which was near the window and another shadow person. I could see my sister lying next to this "thing" that I thought was her. I could see an impression on the bed where the thing was sitting, like it had weight to it.

That was it for me, I closed my eyes and ran past all the shadow people to my parents' room and when we came back, there was only my sister sleeping in there. I had never heard of shadow people at that time, but that is what I called them, so the first time I heard about shadow people in books or online, I wondered if anyone had ever experienced what I did.

But so far, all that I have read or heard about on talk radio, no story is like mine. Usually people see them out of the corner of their eye or moving across the room, but never just standing like mannequins. It was almost like I was in another place and time was standing still. But why was one on my sister's bed, and why did it almost look like her? Another weird thing was, my sister usually did have braids in her hair because she liked the way it made her hair look when she took them out. But this night she didn't. It was almost as if it was trying to look like her.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Spooky, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Silene02 (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-14)
My daughter have seen exactly the same thing described by you and other people here, and she was not as sleep, she could see them even in the early mornings moving around the room. At the beggining she was very afraid but at last she got used to see them and after a while she didn't care about them at all. Since I am also sensitive to energies I started to get the sensation of a sort of "door" in the corner of her room. Temperature dropped in that room very often and almost always during the night. Even people that were not sensitive could feel uneasy there and have nightmares and wake up sweating.

This things does exist I am afraid, but the big question is What are they? Because as long as my daughter and I are concerned, they are not ghosts.
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-06)
When I lived in a very haunted house I would see shadow people all the time while I was looking straight at them. I think there was some kind of portal there. There was one night while I had my light on and I was wide awake talking on my cell phone when I saw many shadow people appearing and disappearing in a certain corner of my room they would be there for about 5-10 seconds just standing and watching me and then disappear. Some were tall and some were short like a child's height. They would appear by themselves and sometimes appear standing next to eachother. They probably appeared and disappeared about 10 times before it finally quit. I was a little spooked but mostly amazed. I have seen shadow people at different times throughout my life but never in such a quantity all at once.

-Sydney ❤ 😊 ❤
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-05)
I just read your story about shadow people. I have a friend who is a counselor whom I consider very level headed. She has had sightings of shadow people but not exactly like yours. I've read other stories and while they seem to not like to stick around once they know that they have been seen I don't think they are one of us. It feels like if they are real, and I don't doubt that you or my friend or the many others who saw something really experienced something, from the descriptions most seem to be sneaky and desceptive. I don't think I'd like hanging out with one. It's like they do slip back and forth from alternate realities. It's very interesting, I wished there was some way to study them better.
Kirsten_pax09 (10 stories) (72 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-13)
I was a shadow person for a several minutes once. I had an outer body experiences and walked around without my body. I know I was a shadow person because I heard my Mom's car park outside on the drive way and I could hear her walking up the front door step with her keys jiggling in her hand like she always did before she tried unlocking the door. I was standing at that very moment in the front foyer because I was so amazed at how light I felt moving around the house and my vision was perfect.

I have never seen so clearly in all my life. I was mesmerized by how I could see every detail on all the pictures on the walls and the experience was exciting being a spirit with nothing holding you down. I was gliding around. Anyhow when I heard my Mom coming up the front steps and I heard her open the screen door I suddenly was filled with alarm and shame. I don't know why but I absolutely didn't want her to see me like that. I turned and rushed as fast as I could back to the bedroom where I was laying in bed. Now here's the odd thing at the same moment I was leaping into my body, my body woke up and my eyes opened and I saw the back end of my Shadow form shooting right into my Chest.

I was sleeping on my left side when this happened. Once my Shadow form had finished getting back in my body I felt a painful slam at my chest and heart. Like a door was slammed shut behind my shadow that returned. I was awake seeing this. And at that very moment my Mom did open the front door, and she was home. It was alarming to see that my spirit was black in an outer body experience.

But then I have a feeling it's because at that time in my life I was a believer that being a "Passionate person" was a noble trait to have. But I learned that Passion is a "Dark" Inertia, because it can cause violence and negative energies. After that incident I began to change my life. So I know now, that not all Shadow Forms are dead people. Some people who are alive can walk around as Shadow People. But there are Shadow People who are people who passed on. But I know now why they often are said to hide and duck behind corners or doorways when people spot them. It's shameful to be seen like that. To be seen as something not white and blessed. 😢
Randcan (62 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-04)
That's right Jfreekao, either someone opened the portal, or that geographic location is a natural portal/or has a thin wall between the planes. To Whitebuffalo, for what it's worth, there was no cold when I saw them, as typically with a ghost, and which, I have, felt in seance and with poltergeist. Also, sometimes one would come out of one wall of the hallway, and stand there, while another would come from the opposite wall like oncoming traffic, and they'd stand there almost facing each other, as if they were momentarily aware of each other (but not turning their faces toward each other), and then they'd continue on, past each other. We were on the upstairs apt., and it seemed like they weren't aware of walls, but rather were walking on a wide open plane. They were pitch black (way darker than the darkness of the room) and were well defined forms with no facial details. They were exactly like naked mannequins painted black. One was a woman. I didn't feel/sense evil, but seeing them petrified me. Returning there recently, I shake so hard internally, that it's difficult to make speech. I realized I'd been traumatized. When my brother disturbed them, they shot off down the hallway in the form of mist. He told me this after decades of strictly refusing to tell me what he saw.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-03)
I am stumped.
The one that was sitting on your sisters bed was a dark shadow as well, or was she a full apparition that looked remarkably like your sister?
It is assumed, by many, that shadow people are merely ghosts who do not have the necessary energy to fully manifest itself. It is much like trying to listen to the radio and it is slightly off station. You get a bit of that static nonsense that is enough to drive you stark raving mad if you do not try to fix the station.
It is assumed that ghosts have to draw energy out of various energy sources to obtain enough of the needed energy to manifest. Thus, cold spots, dead or dying batteries, flickering lights, malfunctions of clocks and so on.
I have been in a house that contained MANY ghosts. But I honestly HAVE to say that they DID NOT try to manifest all at once. It was a "take your turn" kind of activity going on. Now, that MAY be as I have OFTEN said "One at a time. I can not hear you all if you are jabbering so. I will leave here if you can not behave." OR it COULD be (I do not know. I will not pretend to have all of the answers. I do not) that there was not enough of an energy field for them to "play" on.
You did not mention, do you recall the temperature in the room?
I would think, with you having woken from a nightmare, that there COULD have been a bit of a residual thought pattern going on. I write that delicately, as I do not think this is directly associated with the nightmare. I think perhaps some of the EMOTION slipped out of your dream.
Though, I have to be honest, if I woke up and saw all of these shadows in various areas, and positions, I would have run on out of there as well. Forget the sister, I am saving my OWN hide, kind of thought going through my head.
I am tossed as I am trying to picture ALL those shadows. Perhaps they COULD not manifest as there were SO MANY of them in ONE PLACE, with not enough energy to go around.
Just a thought. Thirty years is a long time. Have you experienced anything of the like since this time?
Thank you.
Jfreekao (3 stories) (50 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-03)
I haven't had an experience like this, but like Randcan seems to be suggesting, you should probably do a little research on the property to see if they're ghosts, or if the house was owned by your family, maybe seeing if any of your family members practiced summoning spirits.
Randcan (62 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-03)
p.s. I don't think that they're good. Keep that in mind. (the ones I saw seemed to be wandering as in a daze, like they were lost souls). Probably evil.
Randcan (62 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-03)
Hey Spooky, I appreciate your story. When I was a kid (44 now), I saw exactly that: 3 dimensional shadow people five feet in front of me walking in and out of the walls while I was in bed. I saw them 3 nights in a row and my brother Larry who slept with me, saw them on the 3rd night when I woke him. They walked very slowly coming out of the wall of the hallway near my door arch and sometimes would stop and then continue. I was so terrified one of them would turn their head toward me, but they never did. Over 30 years later, I found that my grandmother who lived there with us, often called spirits and levitated tables with friends, and knew that there were spirits in that house. Guess she brought them! Anyway, it's great to hear an exact match in description from you, as to what I saw! Thanks. They ARE real.
cupcake10132 (4 stories) (193 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-02)
Wow, odd. Intresting story! I have experinced shadow people many times... A few times they were still and just standing around or poseing. Anyways, eat story. Ever saw them agian? Hmmm... Try looking up the history of the plot of land and your house and such:P Hope this helps! Good luck!
Rebelboy1987 (9 stories) (186 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-02)
I saw a shadow figure when I was 12 years old. I stared straight at it. It was not moving, but just standing there watching me. I didn't see as many as you did though. I don't believe it was evil. I think it was just kind of looking over me to make sure I was ok there by myself. You can look at my profile, and you'll see the link to the story! Thanks for sharing, that was a cool story

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: