You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: Was It The Mothman?

Real Ghost Stories

Was It The Mothman?

 

I find it ironic that I had just registered with yourghoststories to submit a possible ghost encounter that I recently had, and here just a few days later I have a completely unrelated story that involves an experience that my father had witnessed just last week!

I'm sure many people have heard about the Elusive Mothman, especially after the movie "The Mothman Prophecies" If not, the mothman was a very tall (5 to 8ft tall) humanoid type creature with bright red glowing eyes and large wings for which it could use to fly. It was most famous in the town of Point Pleasant West Virginia where it was spotted most...

Well the town where I grew up and all of my family still resides was a small town in Ohio maybe twenty minutes or so outside of Wheeling West Virginia. I was talking to my Dad on the phone just two nights ago and was telling him about my experience with the ghostly footprints, and he asked me if he told me about the "thing" he saw last week while driving home from work? He then began to tell me what he had seen...

My dad works the night shift for a coal mine in Monroe County, Ohio. While he was driving home from work early one morning between 4 and 5am he noticed in the road this large creature crouched down in the road with bright red glowing eyes that looked directly at him. He said this creature also had very large wings which were also kind of wrapped around it as it crouched in the middle of the road! He said as long as he lived he had NEVER in his life seen anything like this, and to be honest it actually creeped him out... He proceeded to drive by it, and he looked behind him to see where it was at, and it was gone! He said that he was actually scared to get out of his car when he got home in fear that perhaps it had followed him or was even on his car... Luckily it wasn't, and he hasn't seen it since then.

My dad had never heard of the "mothman" nor had he ever even seen the movie. He said that everybody he had described what he had seen to, right away said... "It sounds like you saw the mothman!" You hear stories like this all the time, and because you don't really know the person who witnessed it... Whether you want to believe it or not. There is still a part of you that questions whether or not it is true... Knowing my dad and what a logical thinker he is. He is usually the one to try to come up with logical excuses for things that are otherwise unexplainable. He's very skeptical about things like aliens, UFO's, Ghosts, etc... And for me to talk to him and hear him tell me about this Mothman like creature was very shocking to me! For this is not like my father.

There isn't a doubt in my mind that what he saw was 100% true. It has completely made a Believer out of me when it comes to the mothman! I will say that I am a little worried, for what I understand is that when people actually see the mothman, often something very bad happens afterwards. I have done some research on this, and whether or not that fact is true about the mothman, my findings are inconclusive. I hope of course for the sake of my father and my family that that isn't true...

I was wondering if anybody else has ever witnessed or know of anybody who had witnessed or seen the mothman? And if anybody has any other information about the mothman that may be helpful? Especially now after this incident, I am very interested in finding out everything I can about this "Mothman."

Thanks for reading... Any comments or insight is as always very appreciated.

Other hauntings by nestjay26

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, nestjay26, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

bobbyvvl (2 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-27)
Hi did your father experience any thing else wierd before or after the sighting from John keels research seeing the mothman is usually just the start or middle of strange goings on
jblaster77 (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-11)
well...that was odd... I don't know why I keep... Oh wait... Internet static...nooooooooo! 😜
charl2008 (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-16)
IF your story is true, then how come that mothman guy only shows up at a certain town in US? And why would it bring "very bad happenings afterwards"? And did it just come out of the blue recently? (was it recent 😜) Sorry just a bit curios about this guy.

God Bless 😊
nestjay26 (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
Yeah the thought of how something like a mothman, bigfoot, even the lochness monster, and other famous monster legends which has many accounts of witnesses who claim they have seen them but still no concrete evidence after all these years is very strange to me as well... Which is perhaps it is so hard for anybody to believe in these types of things. I guess it's just human nature to not believe in something that we can't see... Look at ghosts for example... We have come a very long way and are now able to gather all kinds of evidence (even scientific) but there are still many people and many skeptics who will disagree on their existence. I think the only way anybody will ever be able to prove that any of these things exist is to actually have one that we can see, touch and examine with our own eyes... However I never thought of the possibility that what my father had seen could've been a demon... For the "monster" that my father described was a winged being crouched down in the road with red eyes that stared directly back at him and glared right into his eyes. I will have to research more about demons. Perhaps you may have more information on them or could possibly direct me somewhere that could be of help to me. As far as the movie about the mothman for "TheUnknown" It had come out probably about 6 or 7 years ago now, I'm not exact on the date. But it stars Richard Gere, Laura Linney and Debra Messing. It's a good movie... And explains everything in very good detail all based on true events that happened I believe in the late 70's to early 80's, in Point Pleasant, West Virginia prior to the collapse of a busy bridge in December which many people had lost their lives... If you google the word "mothman" or "point pleasant, WV" You should be able to find all kinds of information on it... There is a link to the actual movie in my original posted story... Just click on "The Mothman Prophecies"... I hope that is of some help to you and I thank you guys for your helpful insight and interest in my story... As always, any insight or comments are always appreciated, I do check this a couple times a week and I always try to comment back... So any questions, comments, or suggestions I will respond back to... Thanks!

~Jay~
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-16)
I saw the movie when it first came out. I see them all because, well... It makes feel NOT QUITE so "odd". It's hard to be different in a world where MOST PEOPLE-do not see or experience the paranormal. Haven't seen the Mothman, but I have seen winged demons with red eyes. I am interested in knowing what people are actually seeing. I saw a documentary on tv, and they said they think people are seeing the giant owl. I believe they said it has a wing span of five feet? This could be wrong... I don't know what to think about the possibility of monsters hiding in our world, as my field of expertise is Ghosts, hauntings, angels, demons. I do hope they get more concrete evidence. It could be a demonic presence people are seeing, and this is why they can't find evidence of a living being. I guess it will eventually be found out, but until now, they have it listed as another URBAN LEGEND. Blessings, Ghostseer
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-16)
Cool,a monster in your town. I wonder, when the movies was released, and at the same day the first report of the 'Mothman' is found.

Everything has a connection to everything in this world, so there's got to be an explanation for this type of hybrid.

Please tell me when the first report is made about the Mothman and the day the movie was released, because I never heard of this movie before...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: