You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Sanitarium Hospital Demons

Real Ghost Stories

The Sanitarium Hospital Demons

 

My Step-Dad was a County Social Worker, and one of the places he had to go, was the local Sanitarium. I'm talking about the Mental Health Hospital. This was the place, where the really bad cases were kept. I volunteered at the regular hospital, less than a block away.

Each time I passed the Mental Health Hospital, it was like a hand kept reaching out to me. Not a real one, but an imploring, invisible hand-begging me to come. Believe me, it was the last place I wanted to venture.

Of course, you wear down after time, and I just came out, and asked my Step-Dad.

" What do you think about giving me a tour?..." I said. I remembered that he smiled, and then a mischievous sparkle filled his eyes.

" I will make the arrangements, can you come after work tomorrow? "

He said. I told him, I would be there, but I was a little nervous.

I didn't get off work at the hospital until eight in the evening.

Now, keep in mind, he didn't know I had "Gifts". I learned early on, you didn't discuss this kind of stuff with him. He just didn't believe in the ability to communicate, with those on the other side.

You know! The deceased, the departed, etc...

In a way, I was excited to go into the Mental Health Hospital, because I was being called by someone, but I was nervous as well. What if it wasn't a someone, but a some "thing" that was calling me inside there.

Well, either way, I was committed (no pun intended) to going, and there was no going back now. I watched the clock tick down until my time at work was done. I changed my clothing, and met my Step-Dad in the lobby of the main Hospital.

" Are you sure you want to do this? " He asked me.

" Absolutely! I am sure!..." I answered, and off we went.

We were buzzed in by a burly looking man in white. He looked more like a bouncer, than a hospital worker. I don't know what his job was, but he wasn't a Doctor. At that time of night, I didn't see any Doctors walking the floor.

It was interesting to see that it looked like a regular hospital, except the doors had stronger looking locks on the doors. Patients wandered about, but they didn't look unstable to me, but what did I know?.

A young man came at me out of a darkened room. It startled me, and I felt my heart starting to pound. He touched my face and said, "Pretty...". My Step-Dad took the young man by the hand, and walked him back to the room.

" Joel, get back in bed..." he said. The patient appeared to be around my age, and I felt so sad for him. I wondered if he had been like this-all his life?. I would never have a chance to ask that question.

What happened next, I didn't expect. In the sitting room, chaos was happening. I could hear chairs being thrown about, and lots of screaming and cries were greeting us in the hallway. My Step-dad took off running toward the sounds, and I was left alone.

I didn't like being there. The air felt wrong, and I could see the beginnings of dark shadows trying to swallow up the ceiling lighting. The lights were growing dim, where I waited, and I took a few steps back. "It" was coming to me, and I didn't know what to expect.

I wanted to go forward, and find my Step-dad, but I felt weak. My knees were shaking by this point, and it was a matter of seconds, until I saw what had called me into this place.

They started to appear in front of me. One, two, three...five, six, seven... They kept coming. I started backing away, but then I fell. Landing on my back, I was staring up, and into the face of "Joel"...the patient, my Step-Dad had helped back to his room.

He helped me up, and then stood in front of me...

" Go Away!..." He bellowed, at the dark forms in front of us. He could see them!. I was frozen where I stood, and all I could do was watch as he dropped to his knees and started to pray. I did the same, and the shadows started to back away. I saw my Step-Dad, and a bunch of orderlies, running toward us, and Joel was scooped off the floor, and carried away. I heard him crying out, and calling out to his mother, but his voice was cut off by the closing of a door.

My Step-Dad apologized, and I don't remember what he was saying. I was dazed, as he lead me outside the building. I kept looking over my shoulder. It felt like we were being followed, but whatever haunted the Sanitarium, stayed within the Sanitarium.

It took me days, to rid myself of the fear. The unclean entities residing inside that hospital, they were there to torment the unbalanced, the weakened.

All I could do, was pray for the Souls, locked within their minds, locked within those walls... And I prayed a lot for "Joel"...

Other hauntings by ghostseer

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ghostseer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fuchsia (5 stories) (64 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-29)
First off, it's great to read a new story from you, ghostseer. If I may say so, I'm a huge fan. I read all of your stories. I sense spirits too once in a while. It must've been terrifying to come as close to the sanitarium entities as you have!

Wish you all the best, ghostseer! Hope to read more from you. ❤
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-18)
That is pretty sad about that Joel dude.
It most likey wasn't has crazy has people though.
That sounds like a cool story I could write!
But I no I can't! Pooy 😕 Jk
GIRLIE ❤
blackhwk506 (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-08)
did Joel ever get released? I feel bad for him, I believe anyone that said they see things. Also were they all demons? Is so that's a lot of demons
sylviessweeties (135 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-12)
Poor Joel I hope he found peace when praying to the Lord, and that he is protected by the Lord against evil spirits
ToraOkami303 (1 stories) (75 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-22)
poor Joel... Locked him up for being sensitive... I feel whoever locked him up is a jerk...

Great retelling as always though:)

~Tora~
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-14)
ParaTam: Am balanced and happy!. Considering... Thanks for writing...Blessings, Ghostseer
ParaTam (3 stories) (80 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-14)
Thank you, ghostseer! I will always be there for my daughter!

You should be proud of yourself, too - raising yourself and taking care of your siblings... On top of growing up as a sensitive. It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and have learned to cope as well as possible with your sight.

Blessed be!
ParaTam
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-14)
ParaTam: Keep supporting your Daughter!. I wish I had had a support system when I was growing up. I kept it all in. People get labeled all kinds of horrible things when they try to explain the paranormal. It's hard enough to grow up-without all the distractions of seeing and hearing other worldly stuff. Your Daughter is so blessed to have you!. I never had a Mom to turn to... I raised myself, and took care care of all my siblings. AND I had to deal with the other worldly coming at me. Blessings to you for being a good Mother!...Ghostseer
ParaTam (3 stories) (80 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-14)
ghostseer -
I would definitely believe that Joel could have been committed for seeing dead people. It is horrific to imagine the multitude of individuals throughout history who have probably been committed to mental institutions because their connection to the spirit world has been misunderstood and not believed. Some people just can't think outside the box, and look beyond their own narrow vision of the world - like a horse with blinders.

There have been a couple of people who, upon learning that my daughter sees dead people, have asked me if I have taken her to a psychiatrist! Some people just can't fathom that others can see something/someone they cannot, that there is more out there beyond the physical world. Even though my paranormal experiences are a very small bit of the tip of the iceburg compared to her experiences (she told a film maker once in an interview for a documentary that "spirits are a part of my everyday world"), I have faith in my daughter. In recounting some of her conversations with "her ghosts", she has proven out paranormal experiences I have had.

Blessed be,
ParaTam 😁
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-14)
ParaTam: No, my Step-dad wasn't allowed to talk about the clients within those walls. I wondered if maybe he (Joel) had tried to convince people-his hallucinations were actually REAL visions, hauntings,apparitions, etc. My heart still breaks today. I wish I knew what happened to Joel!. I couldn't get a last name from anybody over there...Blessings, Ghostseer
ParaTam (3 stories) (80 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-14)
ghostseer -
Thanks again for a great story. Your story fills me with so much compassion for Joel. It makes me wonder if he was committed because he was "having hallucinations". After that event, did you ever learn any more about Joel and his progress/fate from your stepdad?
Blessed be,
ParaTam
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
schizoshephy: I am so sorry that happened to you!. It is unfortunate that "science" still does understand that things of this world are not in black or white. There are many other colors out there. Especially when one can see the paranormal. Be sure to check out my website. It might help after what you have been through!, Blessings, Ghostseer
SchizoSephy (74 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
The thing about sanitariums is that when you're put in there the doctors ect automatically label you as insane or a threat. I know from bad experiences. People often fear sanitariums because all the patients were insane. But there are the few who really see ghosts and whatnot. The doctors consider that to be hallucinations despite the fact that, as I said before some of these things may be real. I've been to two of those things. Though one didn't scare me the other was horrific. I soon caught on that talking about ghosts only makes you stay there longer. So I shut up about it...
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
luvparanormal: Yes, I am strong. Only through the Glory of God! Thankyou for reading my story, Blessings, Ghostseer
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
I am glad to hear that you are a strong believer in the Lord Jesus. Especially with the gift that you have as you say the evil "things" are going to try and take you down the wrong route. If they try it with anyone they are surelly going to try it with the strongest.
I really enjoyed your story and love the way you describe every thing.
Thanks for sharing.
Luv
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
Hoochler: I get called from as far away as two thousand miles (now). Evil knows when one has strong faith, and all those years ago, when I was just a young woman-they tried to trick me into thinking it was a lost soul. They never give up, not until your death. The sole purpose for evil? To push us into disbelief of God, and to make us vulnerable to eternal death. This will never happen to me. I am confident in my belief of eternal salvation. My Soul is safe, and I want to help as many out there as I can.

KimSouth0: Thankyou for your comments.

Rhodes68: Couldn't have said it better myself!, Thankyou!

Blessings, Ghostseer
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
Surya:Before they started to appear, I KNEW they were bad... My body receives warning signals. I feel like the air is being sucked away, from all around me, I get disoriented, and they started to appear as tarry "things" in front of me. Yes, they stayed dark and muddy (this is the best way to describe them), and undulating. It's like being hit with the sweats, the stomach flu, and worse... All at the same time. Joel went into prayer because he knew it is one of our strongest weapons of protection. Hope it helps answer your questions.Blesings, Ghostseer
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
How do you know they are unclean entities, is it becasue they were dark shadows? How do you know they torment the patients, is is because Joe was praying?
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
Wow! Those poor helpless souls! As said before, evil and dark do unfortunately pray on the vulnerable.

I will keep them in my prayers.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

God Bless!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
I suppose the easiest "prey" for negative energies are the "weak" and "vulnerable"-those who, according to what I believe, are more insightful and perceptive of the "unseen". But who would take a mental patient seriously if he/she claims to have been visited? Scars whether these are physical or emotional are seen as self-inflicted, truth from such a person's mouth becomes "inconsistent or incoherent speech".

I feel for Joel and all those who have been traumatised by those shadows. Apparently "Darkness" is not always "unsuccessful or incomplete manifestation"-sometimes dark is just dark and unholy!

Thank you Ghostseer!
Hoochler (1 stories) (263 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
I think you called it correctly ghostseer. From what you describe, it sounds as if there were infernal demons within the sanitarium to torment those who were vulnerable.

Sorry to hear about your step dad, it sounds like he was a great guy and close to you.

I am curious why the demons would call to you though in the first place. Do you think they wanted to attack you in a place where they felt strong?
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-09)
Sounds like your step dad had a lot of compassion. Now you may not think this has anything to do with what you saw but let me explain. I don't believe in demons but I do believe in disturbed minds manifesting bad vibes. There was chaos going on around you. You were already leary about even going to the place but still felt drawn. Hence the suggestion was already implanted in your brain that something was amiss in that place. I am not saying you didn't see or feel what you did but I have to say it does seem suggestion related. Your own compassion towards Joel shows you have a caring spirit. I have visited a mental ward and I know what you mean about the atmosphere. There is so much confusion and fear among the severely mentally ill it's not a wonder Joel reacted to your fear.
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-09)
No...My Step-dad was about as Straight arrow as they come. The guy didn't drink or smoke, and he really cared about the poeple. One of the reasons he became a Social Worker. He worked as a Probation officer with the under 18 offenders, and he would bring some of the kids to our house for a good meal, and family exposure. Nope, My Step-Dad wasn't doing anything he shouldn't have been doing. He was one of the hardest working, sincere people I have ever met. He just didn't believe in the supernatural. He died from stomach cancer around five years ago. Blessings, Ghostseer
Massive_Lemon (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-09)
This is very scary stuff, but I mist say, maybe your step dad was doing things he should not have?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: