You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Caught In The Act

Real Ghost Stories

Caught In The Act

 

This experience is one that I have carried with me for quiet some time. When I was younger I used to go to a summer camp that was organized through my former Preschool/Kindergarten. The school itself was actually the remaining part of a large estate that was originally built and owned by Charlie Ruggles (the actor who played the grandfather in the original Parent Trap). The woman (I can no longer remember her name) who purchased the estate and started the school was absolutely fantastic.

She was the kind of person who arranges for the "Easter bunny" to come to the school to visit the kids. During Halloween she would turn the entire basement into her witches lair where the kids could come down and make poisoned apples (candy apples). Of course this was made all the more effective by the fact that she usually wore her long black hair wild and crazy and her outfits usually had more sequins than any one person should own. But most important to my story is that fact that as kind and outgoing as she was, just like any teacher would, she would not tolerate any misbehavior would give time outs whenever necessary.

Sadly she passed away when I was about seven but luckily she left the school, summer camp, and everything to her daughter who had been working for her already for quite some time and was very happy to carry on doing things the way her mother did. So I signed up for summer camp that year the way I always did.

Well one day while my friends and I were waiting to leave on our trip for the day we decided to sneak into one of the back parlor rooms where we knew the teachers kept some of the story telling boards that we wanted to play with but were "off limits" to the kids. We opened the door and flicked on the lights and walked over to the farthest left hand corner of the room where there was a bench attached to the wall which we climbed on to so that we could reach the story pieces on the shelf above. As my friend and myself were reaching for the boxes that held the pieces the lights went out. We immediately looked towards the door to yell at our other friend to stop messing with the lights. However instead of finding our friend at the door there stood the woman whom we all knew to be dead.

There was nothing see through about her, she appeared to be as solid as you or I although she seemed to be glowing or at least creating her own light in the dim room. She simply stood there in one of her normal sequin black dresses with her normal wild black hair, hands on her hips as she would normally do before telling someone off for misbehaving.

My friend and I on the bench were absolutely frozen our hands above our heads outstretched to the story pieces on the self all we could do was stare in fright. Finally, my other friend who was standing on the floor right in front of us finally let out one heck of a scream and bolted through the dark towards the second door across the room. Once she did, the lights came back on and both my friend and the woman were gone.

Needless to say my friend and I scrambled out of that room as fast as our legs would carry us and never looked back

.

I attended summer camp at this school until the age of thirteen and I never did see her again... But I made sure to behave myself at all times too.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sumner_fan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sumner_fan (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-14)
Thanks for all of the comments. I found this site a couple of weeks before Halloween and just knew that if I was going to tell my story to anyone there would be people who could really appreciate it here. 😁
essiej (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
My Mama used to tell the story of a Nun at the school she went to that acted like the first lady in this story. Mama loved her. No one else did, but Mama is a bit off. This was really funny, even though you were probably scared pretty bad. I woulda stopped to.
HazzardSyndrome (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
brilliant story,
Really well told as well, definatly one of my favourites. It brought a smile to my face 😁
Take care
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
I seriously had to laugh at the "deer caught in the headlights" description of you and your friend standing there with your arms above your heads. I probably would have been in the same exact position.
What I think is great is that this wonderful lady poured so much of herself into this little corner of her own world. In doing so, she passed on a legacy, NOT just a school. So many of us seem to forget that no matter our job, no matter our place, we CAN and often DO make a difference to SOMEone.
She did not NEED to say a word. You all knew what she WOULD have said. And that is the beauty of it all.
Thank you.
kcampbell (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
good stories I love it how you told the stories for us to read, good luck! Got really nothing to say.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-10)
Sounds like the owner's daughter had some help running the camp!

Good story sumner_fun;thanks for sharing.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-09)
ghostseer lol I agree. Sounds like this spirit takes no crap dead anymore than when she was alive. The fact that more than one of you saw this apparition means it was actually there. I would say you and your friends got to see what most of us will never see. Is that a good thing? Depends on what you took from the experience. Would be interesting to see if your friends who were there at the time remember the experience in the same detail as you explained it to us. If you know where these people are today and can contact them I would be very interested in their reply.
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-09)
What a great story!, really enjoyed reading your experience. Glad she didn't say a word to you. I think she knew her presence alone-would cause you to behave. Blessings, Ghostseer

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: