You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Neighbors

Real Ghost Stories

The Neighbors

 

The real estate market and the number of foreclosures on mortgages are higher than ever before in history. Unfortunately, this has not spared the Nebraska area.

Our next door neighbor, Mrs. McKenzie, became very aged and was placed in an assisted living facility about 5 years ago. She had a beautiful large dog that resembled a lion, in features, but was the sweetest animal ever. His name was Frank. Frank went to live with Mrs. McKenzie's son when she moved. He passed on about a month after being separated from her. Her family states he died of a broken heart, not being able to stand being separated from her.

The house stood vacant for about two years. We visited Mrs. McKenzie a few times, and had her to our home for dinner on a couple of occasions. Her physical and mental well being appeared to be declining fairly rapidly. There came a point where she was transferred to a skilled nursing facility, and did not know who any one was when visited. The only thing she talked of regularly was Frank, her beloved pet and companion.

The Sunday before our new neighbors moved into the house, we received a call that Mrs. McKenzie had passed away. We attended the visitation on Monday night, just as the last of the moving boxes were being taken into the house by the new neighbors.

I baked a batch of brownies about a week later and took them over to the neighbors to introduce myself. There was a husband, wife, 16 year old, 14 year old and 4 year old in the family. All were very kind.

A few days later, the husband, Mark, came and knocked on our door. After we invited him in he asked if we knew if anyone had died in the house. We advised him not that we were aware of, however our house had been built in 1920, so we assumed the house was probably about the same age.

I asked why he was inquiring. He told us that several times the family had encountered strange noises and items being moved. He wasn't too concerned about those occurrences though, as with families with kids, sometimes these things happen. He was however concerned about the dog barking.

Apparently, every morning around 6:00 AM he would hear a dog barking near the rear of the house. He could not tell at first if the noise was from inside the house or out side. He set his alarm one morning and had his wife listen inside while he waited out side. She heard the barking, he did not. There was no dog in the house.

We told him about Mrs. McKenzie and Frank. This seemed to ease his mind, thinking that Mrs. McKenzie and Frank may be at the home to watch over them before crossing over, insuring that they cared for the home.

Well, unfortunately, the family lost the home to the banks a month or so back. We did not know they were leaving until the moving truck arrived. They then briefly told us they were victims of the economy and the bank now owned the house.

A couple of days after the family left, I left my house at 7:00 AM to go to work. The only thing dividing the houses is a single car drive way and about 12 feet of yard. My truck is parked in the drive way.

I had the keen sense that I was being watched as I walked to my truck. I looked behind me and in front of me. No one there. I then heard a dog's high pitched whimper, the type a dog let's out when craving attention. But very low, almost as if in a distance.

I glanced around a little longer. I then heard the neighboring house's (that was now vacant!) front door slam! I looked over and the house was as it had been 10 seconds earlier when I had looked that way, vacant and dark.

I assumed I was imagining things and opened my truck door. As I placed my brief case in the back seat, I heard the dog again. I looked up and there was a woman with medium length dark hair, about five feet two inches tall, holding the leash of a large animal that looked like a wolf. They were standing on the enclosed front porch of the vacant house staring in my direction. I blinked twice and they were gone!

I was a bit shaken to say the least, so I quickly got in to my truck and locked the doors. I was saying my prayers and asking for protection from anything evil, when I looked up to the second story window of the vacant home. There was another woman and man in the window!

The woman was about 60 years old with graying hair, standing about six feet tall. The man standing next to her appeared to be in his late twenties or early thirties. He had shoulder length blond hair and broad shoulders. He appeared even taller than the six foot woman I was seeing in the side picture window.

I stared for what felt like an eternity, as they intently stared back at me. Then they vanished. There was no wavering, no fading... Just there one minute and gone the next.

I have never seen these individuals (including the dog) before. The stare I received from them was almost menacing and left every fiber of my nerves on edge.

This happened about three weeks ago. Although I have not seen these individuals again, and have not heard anything more from the house, some how I know they (or someone or something else) are there and are watching. They are not emitting the most positive of energy, and it feels like more is being hidden, than is being revealed.

Other hauntings by KimSouthO

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Nebraska

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, KimSouthO, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ghosthuntermk2 (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-20)
i love your stories as they keep getting better this is not your latest story but I am intreged by your storys and would like to here more 😊
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-12-12)
KimSouth as always an incredible story (by that I mean great of course) have you done any research on the history of the property or house? I was wondering could it be that maybe Mrs. Mckenzie had these spirits in her house and maybe never said anything? Or maybe something opened a door. I am really interested in your second story on this and I am going there right now to read!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-17)
Kecoughtan,
Thank you for finding time and for taking time to omment! I have a few other experiences that I am writing about. I was goimg to simply add them to the comments, but they have come up and are to strange...

Frawin,
I am afraid you may be right. Although I try to pretend and even act as though things (occurances) don't happen regularly... It seems that they do.

Chris,
Hello again, dear one
😁 I am so glad to hear from you. I am afraid you and all of my other friends on here are right, I wish I could pass this 'gift' on to some one else. Whew!

I will post more regarding additional occurances soon.

Thanks to all!

God Bless!
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-14)
Thank you for sharing another fascinating and frightening experience, KimSouthO. I always make time for your stories--even if I have to wait several days to find time. Considering your sensitivity and the degree to which you are attuned to these situations, I have to think whatever you encountered by the truck and observed in the windows of the house are recent arrivals. That certainly is consistent with the beacon explanation put forward by rhodes68 and Frawin. How have you felt as you leave for work since your experience? Please keep us posted on any developments.
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-13)
Hi Kim. Thanks for another great story, I really enjoyed reading it. Another thing to consider is this, the beacon that attracts these ghost/spirits may be you. I know that since Abigail and the Old Woman showed up at my house, there have been others show up too- some have been allowed to stay, while the not so nice ones were ushered out. I'm not saying this is the case, just something to think about.
Take care my friend and God bless.

FRAWIN 😊 ❤
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-13)
Hi Kim long time no see 😁 >Its so nice to read another of your great stories. What really caught me off guard in this story was the spirits you saw when you were leaving for work. Its actually kind of weird. I think Tammy has a point here. I think that this is very possible. Thanks again for another great story of yours. Itys allways a pleasure to read. I hope to hear from you soon and take crae
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-12)
Rhodes,
Thanks for understanding. I agree, perhaps when one stays behaind it is a type of beacon or portal or attraction for others.

Darkness,
Thank you for your positive feed back. We have lived in our home for 19 years, and before this day, never noticed anything. As you have read some of my other stories, you know that these types of things like to come out and scare the breath out of me!

Dreamergal72,
Thanks for your kindness. I do not get warm fuzzies from any of this...happening.

There have been a couple of new developments at the house. I will write more later.

God Bless!
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-12)
That was an amazing story Kim although I wouldn't have expected anything less from you!

Your last statement sums up the feeling I also got from that house. I could explain the woman with the dog to show up but the presence of the other two apparitions in the house was what I didn't expect.

What is it about houses sometimes that seems to draw all the energy from the other side. I have heard of and seen houses that were supposedly haunted by the previous tenant, only to realise or hear about more visitors joining in. I sometimes wonder if one spirit's choice to stay behind funtions as a beacon for others to come along...
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
I really enjoyed this story as in all your stories they are excellantly written. If the appartion you have seen was not Mrs Mckenzie and Frank the dog, I wonder who it could have been and you mention that you have not seen them before, wondering if mrs mckenzie had any experiences herself whilst living there?
Have you lived at your present residence for long? I say this because knowing you have a strong spiritual side I would have assumed you may have noticed something earlier regarding your neighbours house!

Thankyou for sharing!

Daniel
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-11)
The last is kind creepy but the first part is sweet watch over your new neighbor before they move cause of the bank and I understand and sound kind of like evil to me when you saw this things at the house.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: