You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: Sam's Home

Real Ghost Stories

Sam's Home

 

Our five-year-old got to choose where we spent Halloween night, as his sixteen-year-old sister was going with friends to an organized Haunted House. After giving him the choice of a few neighboring cities, he chose Middlebury. We parked the truck on to Main Street and headed out to gain some treats for our futuristic police officer. He got to pick which way to go, what streets to hit, and all. The town was small enough, that all we really had to do was turn around if we got lost, or simply look for traffic. If there was a vehicle moving, THAT was Main Street.

Children were running up to houses and he was just calmly making his way up this street and down the next, around the corner, and he stopped. He kind of cocked his head to the side as if trying to hear things a bit more clearly, or remember something that is just beyond his reach. We actually had to STOP him to have him go up on the porches for treats. When we got on this one particular street, he broke into a SHINING smile and said "yep, this the street." Daddy and I just looked at him, and Daddy said "but you missed all of those other houses. You only have a few pieces of candy."

"I know. But this is where I need to be today, Daddy." Well, honestly, WHO could argue with THAT?

Up on the porch was Jack Sparrow (I think that is the name of the pirate on Pirates of the Caribbean) and Sarah Palin. Our Police Officer got in line and was heading up the porch when my husband silently grabbed my arm and pointed to a plaque attached to the porch which stated the home was registered on www.hauntedhouses.com. All we had on hand was Daddy's cell phone, but we shot off a photo anyway.

Our son was up there talking to Jack. All the rest of the children had wandered away, and off to collect more goodies, and there he stood, talking to the pirate. He turned to talk with Sarah Palin just as I grabbed my husband's arm and whispered (lack of upbringing here, I POINTED at the doorway) "Look at THAT." And Daddy started toward our son.

"No, wait. Watch."

Our son looked PAST Sarah and into the house. Sarah and Jack (Jack stood up and walked over to Sarah and whispered something to her. BOTH of them were looking between our son and US, still standing out at the street on the sidewalk).

Our son smiled really big and said "Oh, he is Amish." Sarah said "who?"

"The man in your house. I thought he was dressed up, like you, but that is who he was."

Total silence.

"Kin I talk to him?"

"Uh, well, We. See, uh" stammered both of them.

I stepped up slightly and said, in my most calming voice, "It is alright. He will not hurt him; he will not TRY to scare him. He just wants to know why he is here."

"He can DO that?"

Daddy: "Yep"

About a half an hour later our son says "Thank you! It been a pleasure to meet you. Maybe I see you gain."

Sarah and Jack were speechless, but brought themselves together enough to tell him that would be a pleasure. Our son paused on the step, turned back around to Sarah and Jack and said "Oh, I'm sorry. I liked meeting you, too. CAN I come back?" To which he obtained a standing invitation to return, which we did the following weekend.

When we returned, we did a tour of the house and garage area. I had asked permission to walk through with my son, and to share in the experience, and permission was granted to the entire family. After talking a bit in the house, I started to notice my son's actions. He was basically allowed to do as he pleased, he had made quite an impression on the husband and wife who lived there. While the adults were talking, our five-year-old began to wander.

"Where are you going, Mr. Sam? Can I come too? Oh. Could you stay with us for a few minutes, please, Sir?"

He walked around the living room, seemed to watch someone either stack, or stoke a fire. He wandered out into the kitchen. Wandered back through the living room and then back out in the garage. He was DEFINITELY following someone. In the lull of the conversation, our son came barreling into the house through a side door that WE were not aware of (They had neglected to show us that. It was a "hidden" passage from the workshop to the house in the event that Sam would work late at night on a special design) I thought he had come through the wall.

"Hurry, we have to go NOW!"

So we jumped up and went out in the garage. Sam had let our son know that he needed to go to town to see the banker in his quest to retrace his steps as before. Our son had tried to stop him, but he was determined to find his family. That is when our son ran in to get us. Our son started down the drive and was following. We stopped at a dime store. I asked why he was there. (It was raining, and NONE of us stopped to grab our jackets. We did not think we were going to walk a few blocks) He just pointed straight up.

Above the door, and on the second floor was chiseled Middlebury Trust and Loan. We all stood outside and waited for a total of twenty minutes. We then followed our son as he headed a bit further down the street to the hardware store where we waited outside for about ten minutes. Then our son simply spun on his heel and started walking back to the house. He kind of skipped along, like he was having a heyday. Enjoying himself, when all of a sudden he stopped as if he ran into a wall and grabbed his head and started howling. There he dropped to roll on the ground just making this awful noise.

I will be honest, I froze. I had no idea what to do to help him. I started for him, but my husband grabbed my arm and shook his head no, our teenager tried to squeeze past us all to get to her brother, and Daddy stepped in front of her to block her, and Daddy just pointed down to our son.

We all watched in amazement as a kind of mist rose up (Logically, that COULD have been all in the fact that our son was warm, and rolling around on a cold wet sidewalk) from AROUND him, and dissipated. After a minute or so of stunned silence, he just got up slowly and said "Let's go back to the house; I have to see something." When we got back to the house, he said Sam was home.

After sitting in the garage with Sarah and Jack for a while, our five-year-old asked how important it was that their house was haunted. Sarah said it was pretty important. The town loves that there is such a documented place there. They enjoy people coming from all around to check out a "haunted town", even if the majority of people never make it to the house. The town prospers in the warmer months, when the tourists come to see the Amish crafts and such that the town offers, and an added pull is that there is a haunted house there. Our son asked about the man that walks further out of town, but still on County Road 18. They said he helps, but he is mostly ONLY seen by the town folks.

Our son sat down on a garbage can and said something to the effect of "Here's the thing. Sam needs his wife and babies. They ain't here. They in a much better place, and HE should be too." Jack said "yes, but he is stuck here. We have had investigators here that are much older than you, and THEY left him alone. WHY can't you?"

"Cause that is NOT what Sam wants."

"We like him here. He helps the town."

"He can help no one if he's stuck."

We like him." This from Sarah.

Our son was quiet, and then he whispered "but his family LOVES him."

You could have heard a pin drop.

In the end, we Cleansed, Smudged, and Blessed the house. We did the same with the garage. As we were getting ready to leave, there was a sadness to both Sarah and Jack, but they still let our son check out the gutted car in the garage. Jack is building a racecar, and our boy was excited to see how it was going. As he was playing in the sunroof, He grabbed a flashlight and was looking into the dark areas of the car. Jack has fluorescent lighting up along the walls of the room, save for the wall leading into the hidden door.

Our son heard a noise (no one else did), and looked up and said "Bye, Mr. Sam. Hug your babies for us!" And I snapped off a photo. I have no idea if I grabbed something, but there is an interesting light formation that does not quite follow the line a flashlight would make. Even if it is nothing, it is a peaceful photo all the same.

History: Sam is NOT the name of the man my son encountered on his visits to this home. I changed his name, and stayed away from a few of the distinguishing factors of the town to keep the privacy of those who may be effected by this story.

Sam was out walking a bit late at night. It was not yet dark, and he was hurrying home from the store (after meeting with the banker) with candy for his babies and a present for his wife. He had bought her a new bolt of cloth to make herself a new dress. He was very happy, because his wife was going to be very pleased. They did well that year, and the new dress would be how he would let her know HOW well. He had twins, a boy and a girl, and both of them would be waiting at the big front window when he returned home. He THOUGHT that his wife was pregnant. He whistled as he walked, and his step was light. He was lost in his own thoughts of happiness. Out of nowhere came a blinding light. He knew nothing else.

When he made it home, his babies were not at the window. His wife was no where around. His beautiful personally hand carved furniture was replaced by the mass produced junk, made out of cardboard and chipped wood, that was in the house now. The curtains were not made by his wife's hand, and there was NOTHING that was familiar. And these ENGLISH were destroying his family home (Our son took that to mean he did NOT like "Englishmen", or those who were not Amish). So, now Sam waits. He waits to wake up from this dream.

He waits for his wife to return with his babies. He often retraces his steps to see where he went wrong but can not seem to see when exactly that happened. He has tried leaving the cloth and candy sticks at home, and coming back to it, but they are missing when he gets there as well. So he carries them all (the sticks in his right pocket, the bolt of cloth under his left arm) each time he takes that walk.

This man COULD NOT have been hit by a car. The street is a bit of a valley, with the sidewalks and houses being on raised platforms. Four or five steps will take you up to the sidewalk. Whatever hit him, hit quick. He was all but a few blocks from his earthly home.

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, whitebuffalo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Ghostkid123 (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-24)
Sorry about the spelling... Lol Again It was pretty sad as I have looked at this story again it's just sad to think he dies then witout knowing he is dead he goes home and he doesn't even know it. 😭 😭 😭 Thx for the awesome story again! Hope you have more to tell
Ghostkid123 (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-24)
It's kind of sad about it. He must have died a horrible death and then not knowing he was dead, went home to find that his family has fled or jnust plain moved away. Thx for sharing this awesome story! As always they are really cool and can be sad. 😳 I ❤ ❤ yuor stories!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-15)
Welcome, Ayzed.
Thank you for reading through this. I know it is rather long.
I, too, think he has a greater purpose. Of course, me being his Mama, I may read a bit more into that than what there really is. He astounds us frequently, and it is hard to remember (at times, at other times, he is ALL six year old little man!) that he is just a little boy.
I wish I COULD tell you how Sam died. From what we could gather, he had some sort of aneurysm. His records are closed for public viewing (I do not know... Does ANY ONE know if this has to do with his way of life? He was Amish), and we had to go by what others could remember. Unfortunately, too many people "remembered" different things. SO much so, that at times we COULD have been discussing a completely different death.
Thank you for reading!
Ayzed (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-29)
hey, cool story. That kid definately has a purpose, and is here to do something.

I wonder how sam died, and what happened to his family after that. Keep us updated with these stories 😁
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-07)
Hello Gman003,
The whole "dropping to the ground part and the mist" is still something that we still talk about and do not understand. It may have been that he was just tired from running around and "following" Sam, and decided to throw himself down on the ground. He was a warm body, on the cold cement, and perhaps it was the body heat messing with the coolness CREATING a "mist".
But then again, maybe it was something a bit more. I have no clue. I have never seen it happen before, and would be lying (at least partially) if I told you I knew what it was. Sorry I can not answer you with a concrete answer. It was just one more part in an interesting evening, I guess. I did not know if it was "important" or not to the story, so I recounted it, just in case.😊
Thank you.
Gman003 (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-28)
Wow this is a great story.
It's cool how your 5 year old helped this man move on and be with his family. But I don't understand the whole dropping to the ground part and the mist coming from around him.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-05)
Hi. I just wanted to let you know that I haven't been on here because on December 24th at 2am I woke up paralyzed from my abdomen down to my toes. Five days prior to ths happening I had developed this horrible cramp in my back. I went by ambulance to the hospital and had to have emergency back surgery. I was in the hospital for nearly a month. About a two weeks after the surgery they transferred me to another hospital who is well known for their wonderful physical therapy. I had to learn to walk again. I came home with a walker but have now graduated to a cane. Yay! I am walking again thank the God but it is taking time to get back to normal. I have in home nurses that come about once a week and a physical therapist that comes three times a week. I am getting better and will be back on here as soon and as much as I can. I just wanted to let you know that I DID NOT disappear again. I hope everything is great with you and your family.

SHELBY ❤ 😊
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-01)
Miegatalipisme Kirie miapostisa apemou. Proshes istin voithianmou Kirie tisotiriasmou. Kirie toeleos sou iston eonata erga tonhironsou mipatridis.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-01)
In the Name of The Great Spirit,
And by the power of His Blood and His Mercy,
We bind all spirits in the air, and the fire and the water,
In the ground and the underground and the nether world,
And we bind any satanic forces of nature.
We bind all curses, hexes, or spells, or any occult activity previously used.
We bind the interaction and interplay of spirits.
And we claim the protection
Of the Great Spirit
Over this house and grounds, and over every person here.
We call upon the ancestors of the land
And the company of angels to surround this place,
Making it both safe and sacred.
And we call out to you, O Great Spirit.
Come now and fill this place, never to leave!
We pray in the name of the Great Spirit, Amen.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-13)
Oh Shelby, if you only knew...
Of course, I am thinking that you already do.
He IS amazing, and I struggle almost daily with trying to keep him "down to earth" so to speak. He just takes it all in stride, though, and seems to know who he can "trust" and who he keeps this from.
Which is GREAT. It takes all the guess work out of it for ME!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-13)
Hello Katona1700s!
Welcome back for the visit!
Thanks for checking in on me, nice to see you!
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-19)
Wow! G3 has an amazing gift. This we already know. I wish I could have been there to witness this. I'm happy for Sam. That he is with his family and happy now.

There are MANY people out there that DO NOT understand gifts like the one your son has. I hope he does not ever let that bring him down. He will have to learn to be careful of the things he says when around others. Like kids at school. I would hate for him to have a hard time because of others making fun. I'm sure that you have already explained this to him.

Thank you for sharing his story.

SHELBY ❤ 😊
Katona1700s (8 stories) (168 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-22)
Hey Buff... How are you. I haven't been on lately as you can see, Hope to see you later byebyes

Katona1700s ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-14)
Thank you, Chris,
This was a first for all of us, I think. I had never seen my son do this before, and I was almost in shock (thus being "frozen" for a moment or a half hour during this 😊)
He DOES astound me. I am not sure, if he were to take us on many more adventures like this one, that my heart would take it. The calming factor in all that he does is that he DOES appear to be a little boy in all other aspects of his life. He is NOT a protégé, he is NOT an Einstein, he is a rambunctious, temper mental, whirling dervish normally.
He just "slips" into THIS persona from time to time.
Thank you.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-14)
Wow what an amazing story automn! I realy enjoyed reading this story. You know I believe every child is special in hi on way but YOUR son is VERY VERY SPECIAL! Wow I never knew that he was that gifted! You and your husband sure have a head ache trying to understand this boy! WOw I'm still in shock on how bright good hearted and carring boy you both have! He realy is special. What realy makes me think is that there are people with gifts who are affraid to use them or don't want to use them. These people are usually adults. Here I see a five year old who is willing to help and understands his gift! I wish I could say more but I'm in total shock about your boy. I will say WOW!Amazing!Lovely!I hope to hear from you soon and take care ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-13)
Ah, but you WERE, my Brother. YOU were part of the research team.
I want to thank you from ALL of my heart for tracking things down on the computer, for trying to get that site to let us navigate through it, for giving your opinions, for pointing things out that I missed, for silently supporting when you thought the wagon just tipped over and I was stuck underneath of it...
If I had not had you to go to when I was excited, (and frustrated) I probably would not have gone through with this whole thing. I more than likely would have thought that there was nothing that WE could have done. And PERHAPS I would have thought it fruitless to try to help him in his journey Home.
He SOUNDED residual to me.
Without YOU, I MAY NOT HAVE SEEN that there were changes in his routine which MADE him intelligent.
Thank you, Brother, for BEING.
Autumn
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-13)
Hello Autumn. Seeing how we have already discussed this experience at length in private about all I can say here is, I SURE WISH THAT I HAD BEEN THERE!
Take care my friend and remember that you[and yours] are always in my prayers.

FRAWIN 😊 ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-12)
Hello Ghostseer.
Too late. He already knows there is a special quality to him. From a very young age, he was introduced to many of our Seers. He has been astounding them for at least two years (closer to three). Believe it or not (and most people will not) he does NOT take his talent lightly. He knows it is a big responsibility (and yes, he DOES know what that means). There are MANY things that I go to HIM about. Questions, thought patterns, things that have me stumped.
He is a great teacher.
Thank you for reading his story.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-12)
I kind of figured that is what happened, Tammy. 😆 I do it myself, then I have to do the palm slap to the forehead. People who only know me through this site would be surprised to hear me exclaim "Dohp! Idiot."
I think I really would have liked Sam. Anyone who's first thought is a treat for his babies, and a new dress for his wife, when he finds out his carpentry business was going well, is pretty high up in my thoughts. He COULD have been like so many others and headed straight to the bar, or got HIMSELF something, but he did not. He thought of his family first.
How could my son have done any less?
Thanks again!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-12)
Yep, Cupcake, two very possible possibilities. I am ALWAYS open to look further into something (MOST people here can attest to that!). I will definitely look into any lightening strikes that may have occurred in that city around the time line that we have come up with.
It IS easy to forget. The hardest part is to not beat ourselves up over it. I have come to think that there are ghost hunters, and then there are ushers. I hope to remember to remain an usher.
Thank you.
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-12)
Thankyou for an interesting story. Your child is a very old SOUL. What a burden for one so young, good thing he doesn't realize what is so different about himself...yet. Most children will outgrow this "gift", but with others (like myself)...it just grows stronger. Blessings to you and your family, Ghostseer
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-12)
Yes, I thought I have edited my comment to fix the part about "your interpretation" but obviously I forgot to do so. I realised after reading the story again it was the little one who told you of his life before and after death. Devastating!
cupcake10132 (4 stories) (193 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-12)
Really? Intresting, both are most likely capable possiblities! Yes, true. Most people are like that. And sadly, from time to time I 'forget' their needs and wishes and such, but not for long:D Once agian, good luck on future experinces! ^^
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-12)
Thank you both for reading this story. It was a "different feel" for us. My son is usually not this active while "reading".

Actually, Cupcake, my top notch research team came up with a different theory. With all of the evidence that was gathered, it is more likely that poor Sam suffered an aneurysm on his way home. Swift, and complete. I can not blame Sarah and Jack. They are much like MOST people who grow accustomed to a ghost in their home. They are COMFORTABLE. It is "easy" to forget the needs and feelings of ghosts, ESPECIALLY when they are fueling your towns economy.

My dear friend, Tammy.
I wish I could tell you that I came up with that interpretation. That was all my little man. He had quite a lengthy conversation with "Sam". We DID research everything, and from what we could gather (I will admit, it was extremely difficult, as "Sam's" name was a VERY common one), he was right on track.

Thank you both.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-12)
Autumn welcome back and thank you for a breath-taking experience!

Your account concerning Sam's fate but most importantly, your "interpretation" of the events after his demise-his despair for finding his home invaded by strangers-the retracing of his steps-his constant attempts to make some sense of his loss were overwhelming!

I hope he has now found peace as well as his way back to where he's anticipated.

Thank you!
cupcake10132 (4 stories) (193 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-12)
Oh, I'm off makeing myself paranoid agian! B And before school too! Gr, me and my urges and having too much free time! Anyways, that is a wounderful and odd story. Well, poor Sam, glad to know he has figured out how to moved on and did so. I suspect Sam had got struck by lightning and didn't survive. I would love to see these pictures you have caught at their house! Jack and Sarah were being VERY selfish! And that is very rude, to refuse to help a spirit in need. Even if it makes your town somewhat 'famouse', spirits have feelings and think too. Well, I'm finished with my ranting. Wounderful story! ^^ Gppd luck!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: