You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Out Of Body Experience

Real Ghost Stories

Out Of Body Experience

 

I realize this is an Out of Body Experience, and not a ghost story so this may not be published, but I look at this as my ghost. I have two more stories in my life to come out, yet at a later time, and that will keep me up to date on my experiences. Thanks for reading!

Ever had an out of body experience? It happened to me in the early eighties when I was not even trying. It was a cloudless, sunny, warm, summer day, when I was returning home from work. I was dead tired and just wanted to take a nap. I would not normally waste a day sleeping when it was this nice, but that day sleep took over. As I pulled up in my driveway, I saw a truck back by the chicken shed. I forgot the landlord told me he had a guy coming over to redo the roof. I did not see him as he was on the other side of the roof pounding nails with his hammer. He was out of sight, but I thought "Great! I have to try and sleep with that noise."

I entered the house and went down stairs to my apartment. It was a small house with the basement as a rental. I went in the bedroom and put on a pair of shorts, turned on the fan and pulled the sheet only over me on the bed. I closed my eyes and tried to sleep with the continuing hammering. It was ten to four on my clock and that's when my journey began. I was lying on my back all stretched out when I felt my eyes begin to pull upward to my brain. My eyes felt like they were fluttering, and then I felt the tension build up in my body. It was the oddest feeling. My legs and arms began to tighten up and flex, as well as my stomach muscles. I was so tense, but in reality I was completely relaxed. I know this is physically impossible, but there I was experiencing both sensations as I laid there. I could still hear the noise outside and this may have contributed to what was happening. Then I felt myself get out of bed and walk out of the room. At this point I realized I may be dreaming, but it felt different. It dawned on me I may be experiencing my first O.B.E, but I was not sure. I never heard of anyone experiencing the tense/relaxed feeling. And I did not look back at my body, which is common to look back, with experiences that I have read.

I noticed the living room was just as it is, and not distorted as in a dream. I went over to the office window and looked out. The sunlight was different looking somehow. I then believed I was out of my body. My consciousness was floating about. I kept hearing the pounding, so I thought I would have a little fun. I felt as if I was floating more that walking through my apartment. I left my door open and walked up the steps. I'm not sure how I got through the back door, but I was outside the house and was astounded by the feel and look of the sun around me. It was like I could see more in the air than normal. The feel of the sun was more comforting. This was a feeling and sight I have never experienced before. I saw the man working on the shed. He was on my side and I could see him. He was an older man. He had gray, short hair and beard. He was heavy set and wearing a red shirt and denim overalls. I floated out to him and was right beneath him. He looked in my direction and acted like he didn't see me. I started laughing. He did not hear me. I realized then that this is for real. I am astral traveling. How cool as that? I then yelled at him saying. "Hey! Could you hold down the damn noise? I am trying to sleep downstairs." He did not respond. He turned again to get more shingles and he was facing me, still not seeing me. Then I started to do cartwheels and make funny noises. There was no response. This was amazing to me. The most awesome feeling.

Then I heard a truck pulling up and knew it was my landlord. I raced back to the house in a panic. I'm not sure why. But he usually knocks on my door, and for some reason and I felt I needed to get back to my body. I went to my office and saw the truck with him getting out. I closed my eyes and wished to get back to my body, but it did not work. I started to panic. Maybe I will never get back. Just then I felt my body unwind and my arms and legs being released from the tension, and straightening out of the ball shape I was in. My eyes began to flutter again and I opened them. I was in bed. As I started out, I looked at the clock and read four. Ten minutes have passed by, like it was in real time.

I bolted out of bed in a feeling of utopia. I could not believe what I just experienced. How could I prove it? I felt like I just got eight hours of sleep, very refreshed and excited. I could hear the pounding of the roofer outside, and remembered that I have not seen him until my experience. So there was my proof. The landlord had left, he was just there to get the garbage, and did not bother me. I went outside and saw the man. He was exactly the same as I saw him. The same clothes and size. I couldn't believe it. He then saw me and waved at me. The first time he saw me. I waved back, and shook my head in disbelief. The sun had its normal feeling to me, as usual. I knew I had experienced something most people would never have happen.

I wish now I would have gone back to tell the guy what just happened. But, instead I went back in and grabbed a beer and wrote this experience down, so I would never forget the fresh details. I have always wanted to experience this again, and after over twenty years later, I never have. I was around 25 years old then. I have to wonder if that man felt like someone was with him at the time, or watching him. Guess I will never know now. I do very much believe in the O.B.E.

Other hauntings by mulder81

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Minnesota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mulder81, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

alk (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-30)
Hi, I read your post on the out of body experience you had from yourghoststories.com and I signed up especially to send this to you. Firstly I would like to say I feel much compassion for you, maybe you think this out of place but in all honesty I know the feeling of having an experience like this and then being walled off from it. It brings up so many questions.

This website is for you, it contains the means by which you can have profound astral experiences, I know this from experience.

This website is the vehicle, in my humble opinion, of something very special.

Http://www.gnosticawakenings.com/

Http://courses.gnosticawakenings.com/signup

(all courses are free and carried out altruistically)

I will now post this email as a comment for all others who are interested.

Good luck Jay.
EyesWideOpen (63 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-29)
mulder81,

I enjoyed reading your O.B.E./story. I do believe this sort of thing can happen, whether intentional or not. Have you had any other O.B.E.?

EyesWideOpen 😁
mulder81 (16 stories) (21 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-16)
Thank you all for your comments. I wish I could do this on a regular basis. It was a fun expereince, and I know you can train yourself to do this, but never have. Just hope all of you have the opportunity to have this happened to you, even if it is unexpected.
Tre (4 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-15)
Thanks for the story you told It helped me a lot on what's been happening to me.

As a person who can astral project I say its a great gift. But if you feel you don't want to astral project my advice is trying to wiggle and flail, or move your body around. This advice might or might not help, but it works for me. I'm usually feeling numb and almost immobile before it happens, so I'm not sure if what I'm telling you might work. How you astral project may differ from my way of doing so.

Again thanks for your interesting story it helped me alot, and I hope my advice helps.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-14)
Had a friend that claimed he could leave his body at will but he tended to be very full of himself so I never knew if he was bs-ing or not. He never showed me any proof of it. However I do believe them to be an authentic phenomenon. Was only one time when I had the unique experience of being separate from my body. It only lasted a minute or two and I didn't even open my eyes but for that short time I was very aware that we are not only our bodies. I was not asleep that much I do know but I was very relaxed. I think all of us have experienced being jolted back into our bodies (or a falling sensation) when just about aleep and it's like someone slammed you back into your body. It's been said when we dream it's like an obe. Our spirit leaves our bodies. I don't know if I buy that but I do know the sensation and I have heard a loud bang or thought I heard my name called and then bingo you get jolted awake. Most obe's I have read about seem to be spontaneous. I would think it takes a ton of practice and discipline to achieve it on one's own. I don't know if someone helps us or it's just some kind of mind trip but it's happened enough for people to write books about it so it can't be all hooey. I don't know if ghosts are other astral beings or just people having obe's. From what I have read it does seem like they tell you to stay close to your body until you become more seasoned. I have also read about people visiting other planets or having astral sex (I thought this hysterical) but I guess anything is possible once freed from the shackles of our body.
Hoochler (1 stories) (263 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-13)
Your experience was a great read mulder81, thank you for sharing it with us.

Your experience has some similarities to what I have read (and what little OBE experience I have had myself) as well as some striking differences from what I understand to be a normal (or typical) OBE experience.

The pounding might have played a factor is helping you stay lucid while your body was exhausted. Lucidity is key to achieving deliberate OBE.

I am not so convinced though that you did this alone (without a helping catalyst) however. I think you might have had help for several reasons that I will enumerate.

Reasons why you probably had help in achieving OBE.
1.) This happened about 25 years ago and has not repeated itself since then.

2.) You did not look back at your body once you were out. It is possible that a catalyst (a spirit or other astral traveler) might have been influencing you not to look back so that you would not become alarmed at seeing them interacting with your physical body (helping to induce your OBE).

3.) You described this very telling passage in your explanation... "I felt the tension build up in my body. It was the oddest feeling. My legs and arms began to tighten up and flex, as well as my stomach muscles. I was so tense, but in reality I was completely relaxed." Kind of like someone had hooked up some low voltage electrodes directly to various muscles in your body and was stimulating the muscles to spasm mildly separate from your brains control? That is not what I understand to be a typical precursor state to OBE, but it IS a typical effect of close proximity of a spirit (or astral traveler) that is interacting directly with your physical body.

4.) You were not instantly jolted back into your body when you expressed interest to go back, instead you describe this... "I closed my eyes and wished to get back to my body, but it did not work. I started to panic. Maybe I will never get back. Just then I felt my body unwind and my arms and legs being released from the tension, and straightening out of the ball shape I was in. My eyes began to flutter again and I opened them. I was in bed." You describe yourself that your body parts were released from the tension, further adding to the idea that the tension was coming from an outside source.

5.) You were able to see the world so clearly and brightly on your first experience. Visual and audible clarity on the astral plane seem to come with practice and experience. Each projection (and projectionist) is different, but your first time crytal clarity lends further weight to the idea that someone was helping you with your OBE. I was taught that until a newcomer learns to take in the astral plane properly, they tend to only see and hear what they are looking for or what interests them, not 100% of what is actaully there.

I think that it is very likely that a spirit (or astral traveler) came along, saw that your body was already tired and that you were ripe for an OBE and it just decided to help you on your way as it were. It does not sound like the spirit (or astral traveler) meant anything harmful or malicious and was maybe even being playful or helpful in sending you on your way. It sounds as if the spirit relented its push on your spirit once it sensed you wanted to come back into your body.

If you want to read a very interesting online book about OBE, this was a great read.

Http://www.hermetics.org/pdf/Robert_Peterson_-_Out_of_Body_Experiences.pdf

It is also possible to invite spirits into your life deliberately to help with such things as OBE and a wide range of other things, take a look at succubiluv's experience at doing just that (inviting a spirit, but not for developing OBE abilities).

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=3971

With inviting spirits into your life, just as with inviting other humans, be very careful what you ask for because you are very likely to get it.

Hoochler
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-13)
A very interesting story. Very well written. Where you actually detached from your body? In astral projection you remain attached to your physical body by a silver "umbilical type" cord. Some people see the cord and others do not but all the same you are attached. Going back into your body is usually a quick. A quick return is sometimes accompanied by sensations of a jolt to the physical body and mabe accompanied by a loud band and a flash of brilliant light. You experiance is quite different. I really enjoyed the story and look forward to reading your next post
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-13)
Oh, I might mention, you may not feel this is a "ghost story", and many other may not as well, but the point is that your spirit traveled OUTSIDE of your body. Your spirit TOOK IN the appearance of the roofer, and your spirit acknowledged your landlord. You even checked things out after the experience to confirm that what had just happened was NOT a dream. You showed that Astral Traveling people MAY be sensed by those they encounter along the way.
THIS, my friend, is a Spiritual Story. And a story of the Spiritual journey of exploration.
Who knows? Maybe sometime we will come to realize that the "ghosts" that we are encountering are merely the spirits of Astral Travelers. Maybe we will further realize that when we are sending them to The Other Side, we are actually sending them to The Body.
It is ALL still very Unknown and non-documented scientifically. ANY theories should be examined at this point.
Thank you again.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-13)
Yep, Martin is exactly right. It was all in the "balance" of the set up for you.
Personally (and I KNOW this is going to cause a few raised eyebrows, but <shrug> hey, whatever), I draw a bubble bath. I have all of the necessities available for a relaxing experience. A cold drink, an ashtray, (yep, nasty habit) a neck pillow and warm water with lilac scented bubbles.
MY "roofer's" are my children. I can hear them through the walls. 😊 I do not often times reach the serenity that is needed to achieve this, only in that my children seem to be the most needy when I am wishing to "soak in the peacefulness".
I have said before that if it takes a smoke and/or a soak, <shrug> try it. Whatever it takes to relax.
But the distractions are key, in the beginning.
Thank you.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-13)
That was an entertaining experience, at least the way YOU described it! It is very unusual that you willed it and were able to control it the way you did although it was the first time you experienced Astral Projection!

I think it was a good choice not telling the repairman about your "journey" to the roof. Not all people believe in things beyond the physical world and getting over-excited about something like that might have received different responses than the ones you anticipated.

Thank you for sharing mulder
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
15 years ago (2008-11-13)
It seems you found a good method: relax on a comfortable bed when you are tired but keep some loud noise around so your mind stay awake as your body falls asleep...
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-12)
Thanks for sharing. Out of Body is tough to do, and not everyone has it happen as easily as you. Most people don't...Interesting story, enjoyed reading this special moment. Blessings, Ghostseer
farside62 (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-12)
cool story, I have tried to have one and have looked some info up online on how to do it, but when I try nothing happens then I give up or just fall asleep.
Collin395 (1 stories) (18 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-12)
Wow. That seems amazing. And it just happened randomly? That's weird. But cool

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: