You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Ghostly Clown

Real Ghost Stories

Ghostly Clown

 

This happened about 20 years ago when I lived in Finchley, North West London. I was living in a flat near Staples Corner with my two children. I was in temporary accommodation, and the block of flats were about circa 1920s.

I was in bed one evening when I heard people chattering and glasses clinking. I looked toward my open bedroom door and saw people milling around and (daft as this may sound) walking out of the toilet and walking past my bedroom door. I remember one lady was dressed in a lovely tight fitting petrol blue 1940's dress. Among them was this tall person dressed as a clown. He moved strategically through the people toward my door, stopping to pose in funny positions every other moment. Finally he stood in my bedroom door, stood up straight then just dropped a pose and just glared at me as if to say, "What you going to do about it?"

I turned away from him, looked at my wall, shut my eyes and then opened them again fully expecting that I was imagining it all. When I looked back at my door he was still there. I shut and opened my eyes again and he was there, but getting fainter, until finally he and the others just vanished.

I wish I could say why such a thing happened. For some reason I wasn't scared, probably because my children were in the room with me! I have had many other experiences over the years but this clown person has always had me baffled.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ldsgirl2k, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

princess123 (7 stories) (186 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-28)
I am so scared now! I am not kidding! That has really freaked me out!

Princess123 x ❤
princess123 (7 stories) (186 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-28)
I HATE CLOWNS! I have never liked them and that story is very scary!

Princess123 x ❤
ldsgirl2k (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
Finally I have figured this thing out! I read most of the comments and I am willing to accept that it may possibly have been some sort of hallucination and yes, the clown did look out of place in that crowd of people. But I did close my eyes and open them again! Secondly I was awake. I don't know but it was darn weird.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-15)
Autumn, I know you do 😆and when I catch you doing that I know what caused it... Sometimes we do both, talking and thinking out loud both at the same time. This time I was so convinced I had been "discussing" with the poster when actually I was carrying on a conversation with my thick head. I need to concentrate more in the future ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-15)
HA! I have done that, Tammy. 😊 I just end up thinking "<Shrug> ah well, I am sure they will say 'what the hey?'"
That is exactly where I was going with that. Fear displacement.
Thank you for putting it into words for me. 😉
jsm36 (11 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-11-15)
Did this happen only once? It sounds suspiciously like something called a hypnopompic hallucination. When you wake up abruptly, the part of your brain that does the thinking is not quite warmed up yet - you feel confused, a bit 'out of it' and prone to hallucinations. It's like sleep paralysis (I suspect you'll know what that is if you've been on this site for a while) in nature but you're able to move. The fact that you didn't feel scared fits with the idea, as the mind is too confused to properly decide whether what you are seeing is a threat or not. Hypnopompic hallucinations also tend to fade away slowly as the brain wakes, rather than suddenly disappear, the way ghosts are thought to do. Plus, hallucinations tend to be 'daft' and nonsensical by nature.
Google 'hypnopompic hallucination' and you'll get some stories about it.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-15)
What a lovely feeling to read your own comment and not understand yourself the point you want to communicate? Wonderful! Sorry about that.

What I'm thinking is a "clown" can be seen as the "absence of identity", the unseen being behind the mask. What is it that frightens you most, seeing someone's face or knowing there's a different face behind the mask.

I don't think I care much for clowns-most people are afraid of them not because of Stephen King's horror film but mainly because their smiling faces are frightful. They're fake. You never know who's behind the paint and the fancy costume or what their true intentions are.

Do I make more sense now?
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-15)
I was actually wondering about the same thing as Whitebuffalo does.

Then again if a spirit wanted to appear and as you claim mock the observer, wouldn't it manifest as anything it chose or specifically as a clown?
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-15)
I just have to ask.
Was the clown "out of place"? I mean, from the looks of the others at this Shade Party, did it LOOK like he/she belonged there? AS a clown?
Thank you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: