You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Grandpa's Three Words From Beyond

Real Ghost Stories

Grandpa's Three Words From Beyond

 

Next month it will be ten years since I lost my grandfather. I wasn't extremely close to him, by virtue of our family being so large. When I was a little girl, I wondered if I just blended in with the other twenty grandchildren. Nonetheless, I adored Grandpa. He was my superstar.

At Christmas each grandchild would get one small gift, along with the bag full of peanuts, peppermints and apples my grandpa packed for us. We all lined up in a U-shape in his living room to collect our traditional goodie bag. Us grandkids would complain and giggle to one another about the bags. I secretly looked forward to receiving mine. It was something that Grandpa did himself for all of us. As an adult, I discovered that long ago, apples were a common tradition during Christmas. It symbolized unity of the family. Something I'm certain my grandpa wanted to emphasize.

Grandpa was quiet, yet when he spoke it was wisdom. I felt connected to him with his teachings, since everything he taught my father was passed on to me.

The connection I feel now, goes beyond Grandpa's teachings. Shortly after his death and as time passes, I feel even more connected to him. I feel his love that he always had for me, stretching back to when I questioned it. And even further back to when I was born. Oddly, even further. I don't try to figure out how this is possible. I know it's beyond something I can understand in this physical life.

I don't question my connection because of what happened from the moment Grandpa was gone. I was extremely upset, the evening I came home from seeing him in the hospital, succeeding his passing. I didn't understand how someone who appeared to be so strong could be gone forever. The man I saw lying on the hospital bed wasn't him. The man I saw in the bed looked frail. I felt him still in the room, just not in his body. I wanted to hold him, embrace him, and make up for all the years. I needed him to know how much I loved him. To tell him how much I admired him. Now it was too late.

That evening I cried in my bed, exhausted with emotion, I fell asleep. What woke me was hearing, clearly, Grandpa's distinct voice.

His voice said, "no te preocupes."

I awoke and sat in my bed wondering what that sentence meant. I never heard him say this, but I knew I heard the words before. Grandpa always spoke to me in English, but I knew these words spoken in Spanish made it more intimate. After several minutes of concentrating, I figured out what it meant. It meant, "Don't you worry."

I sat up in my bed. This time tears ran down my face from the sense of peace and awareness I had. I felt Grandpa around me, in a spiritual embrace, and I instantly knew his adoration was mutual.

Those three words not only just helped me. After sharing them with my parents they felt calmness in their hearts. My father being the eldest, shared my experience with many of his siblings. There would always be feuds in my father's family, especially during the times of death. Some didn't know how to handle loss. Sharing these words with his siblings brought a blanket of peace over everyone.

I knew one last time my grandpa was passing around the apples - uniting his family to give them strength and hope once again.

~Debbie

Other hauntings by Wickeddaisy

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Wickeddaisy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MunstersBabe (10 stories) (32 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
What a wonderful story. I shed a few tears while reading this because I too, was very close to my own grandfather (I affectionately refer to him as PawPaw). This brought back the feelings I felt for him and the love that still keeps us together, that even death doesn't end.
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
A beautiful story!, made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I can relate to your words, because I was very close to my Grandparents. My Grandfather was my "quiet Giant" as I called him. Your story touched my heart. Thankyou!, Blessings, Ghostseer
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
Im very sorry for your loss. It is sometimes so hard for us to understand how much someone can love. Your Grandfather loved you with all his heart and your right he wanted to teach you all his great gifts becasue they are great gifts he left you. What you encountered is something very special. His words will mean the world to you and they should. And when hard times come you remind yourself of these words. Granpa is looking after you. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
Of course you may call me that! Your story has touched me too and went straight to my favorites.

Hope to have you back soon 😊
Wickeddaisy (4 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
Thank you, Tammy! I hope that's okay if I call you that. 😉
Your comment was very heartwarming and teared me up!
Thanks for reading and I'm very pleased it brought warm memories to you.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
Debbie what a heart-warming story! Thank you for taking the time to share something so intimate with us!

It's so true that when we re-evaluate certain moments in our lives, we sometimes realise that either because we were too young or too hasty, we missed the underlining message-one that goes beyond the obvious.

I'm happy you got a chance to "read" beyond his words, beyond his Christmas "goodies" and "hear" what was there in his heart.

Love and unity among family members is not something to be taken for granted-it takes participation, committment and continuous effort.

You sure made your grandpa proud Debbie!

Thank you for the memories you brought back to me!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: