You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: More Tales From The Home Place

Real Ghost Stories

More Tales From The Home Place

 

I have already written about the old home place and some of the strange and unusual things that has happened there. I will now share a few more stories with you. Although they were frightening at the time, now they don't seem so bad.

This incident happened when I was about fourteen or fifteen, so it would make it happening in 1968 or 69. It was a Saturday morning and the only ones home were Mom, Dad, my older sister and me. My sister was taking Mom and Dad "trading"[that's what we called grocery shopping] and I was asked if I wanted to go along. I turned the trip down, opting to stay home and listen to records and enjoy some "me time". Things didn't exactly go as planned.

I watched them pull out of the driveway and drive out of sight. I was alone at last. Now I could listen to the records as loud as I wished without someone yelling to turn it down. I fixed me a glass of Kool-Aid, loaded the record player [now I'm showing my age] and was just fixing to kick back when I heard a thunderous crash coming from the living room. I thought "What the heck was that?" and ran to the living room to see what had happened.

When I got to the living room and saw nothing out of place, I went upstairs to check. Nothing wrong there either. I went back downstairs and as I stepped into the living room I heard another booming crash coming from the end of the house I was just in! I was getting a bit unnerved but I still made a mad dash back to the dining room to check for the noise. I made the same check in all the rooms on that end of the house and came up empty again.

I sat down in the dining room, took a sip of Kool-Aid and was about to ponder on it, when it crashed in the living room again. I ran to the living room and as soon as I got there, there was a crash in the dining room. I said to myself, "Self, to hell with this. It's time to get outta Dodge." I made a quick, make that a very quick, run through the house locking the doors and I waited at the end of the driveway until they got home.

My Dad had a special way of knocking on the door if he came home after dark. He would tap on the door with the butt of his pocketknife, that way we would know that it was him. Everyone in the family recognized his "trademark" knock. Dad passed away in the fall of 1972 of heart failure.

At our house Christmas was a big deal, and the whole family gathered on Christmas Eve. The old home place was filled to the brim with family members in about every room. Me, my brother Earl, and several others were sitting in the living room talking about one thing and then the other. Our conversations were interrupted by that familiar knock. Earl jumps up and runs to open the door, with all of us hoping against hope to see Daddy standing there, only to be greeted by cold December air.

Was it Dad knocking on the door? I don't know. Was it somebody's idea of a joke? I don't know that either, all I can say is I like to think it was him.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, FRAWIN, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-11)
Hello Shelby. It's good to hear from you again, we sure missed you on the site. Me and the Missus are just fine and the last time Abigail was here she was her usual playful self. You'll have to catch us up on the happenings at your house, they sound interesting.
Well I can't be 100 percent sure that it was my Dad knocking but I sure like to think it was.
Thank you for your comments, I sure appreciate them. Take care my friend and God bless.

FRAWIN 😊 ❀ 😊
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
Hiya Frank.:0) How have you been? Good I hope, I hope. How's the Mrs.? And Abigail? And the others? I will have to catch up on my reading to find out.

You know, I hate when these things happen. The noises on the other end of the house and then when you go to check it out it happens where you just were. You try to make logic of it, but can't find any logic. You can't see anything but you know that whatever, or whoever is doing it, knows exactly where you are in the house and it just messes with you like it's bored or something. And, of course, it usually happens when you are alone.
Things of this nature have been happening here at my house, only not big crashes, more like knocking and tapping. Now I wasn't the only one present. It was happening to me and my fifteen year old daughter. I'll post that story soon I hope. I know what you mean by that familiar knock. That has happened here on more then one occasion. Usually around a holiday when the family is over or when you are talking about 'them'.

I definitely believe that was your Father knocking on the door to let you and your family know he is with you in spirit.

Thank you for sharing yet another great one.

SHELBY

😊 ❀
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-23)
Oh, excuse the interruption for just a minute. Tammy is biting her nails at the time-being and will continue to do so until she spots the "More Tales From The Home Place"!

Thank you 😊 ❀
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-23)
Hello Hank. Yep, it's still the old home place. I love the old place, it will always be home to me even though I've not spent the night there in about fifteen years. You'll be hearing more about the home place because I kind of promised Tammy that I would write a story about the old dining room and dedicate it to her. That was the only room that I was ever afraid of but it's gone now. Thanks for commenting and take care.

FRAWIN 😊
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-23)
Hello wanderer. Thank you for your kind words, I appreciate them. I would love to think you're right, seeing how Dad loved Christmas. We have had some huge family get-togethers, mainly at Christmas. We still get together at Christmas it just there's not as many as they use to be- some of the older ones have already gone home. Take Care and God Bless.

FRAWIN 😊
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-22)
Thanks for sharing another of your experiences, FRAWIN. I can not believe after all those experiences--half of which I am sure you have not yet shared with us--that you still refer to it so invitingly as "The Home Place." I think I would be calling it the I'm Scared As Hell to Be Alone At Home Place. 😜

By the way, I love that expression. My grandfather always referred to his boyhood home affectionately as The Home Place. Thanks, again, FRAWIN!
wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-22)
Hi Frawin. I always like reading your stories. I bet it was your Dad letting you guys know he was home for Christmas. As an aside, 15 kids! That must make for some fun family get togethers!
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
Hi Tammy. It's been over thirty-six years since I've heard that knock but If I heard it now I would recognize it. You know, I think for my next story I will write about the old dining room and dedicate it to you my friend. I haven't even told half of the stuff that has happened in that room. Thank you for your kind words and bless you my friend.

FRAWIN ❀ 😊 ❀
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
Hello Chris. It is good to hear from you again, my friend. I am glad you enjoyed my story. It is one of my better experiences, or at least half of it was. You are right my friend, Dad did love all his children - all fifteen of us that he raised. He spoke to me years later during a dark period in my life, he stopped me from doing something terrible, so yes he watches out for me. I don't know if he's proud of me but I'm sure proud of him. Take care my friend and may God Bless you.

FRAWIN 😊
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
Hi ParaTam. Thank you for your comment and you are most certainly right, when something like this happens you can usually find someplace else you'd rather be<grin>. As for the knocking I can't say for sure it wasn't someone pranking but I sure like to think it was Dad stepping in to say hi. Take Care and God Bless.

FRAWIN 😊
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
He wanted you to know it was him my dear FRAWIN and welcome with some more of your spine-chilling ecounters from the Home Place!

Every time you as much as mention that dining room I get the chills seriously. I still recall the first two stories you shared with us so please try to make some time to write down some more and make my day 😊

Tammy ❀
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
YES YES YES! I ju8st love reading your stories Frank! Its been a while since we last talkjed but I'm glad we can now. You know what Frank? It was your father. I bet you know how much a father loves his children. And you know what a father would do to make his children happy. Wasnt it nice working outside with dad? Wasnt it nice getting a present on your birthday? But isn't it a GREAT present to get from your father on that Christmas eve? He told you then and there that he will be with all of you. DOesnt matter if you can see him or not. He is there He is watching over you your children your Grand children. Oh Frank my my friend, Cherish that present you got. He is with you so be good πŸ˜‰ I'm very sorry for your loss Frank But Dad is with you. Allways was allways will be. And I'm sure he is proud of his son. I hope to hear from you soon and take care 😁
ParaTam (3 stories) (80 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-18)
Frawin -
Thanks for sharing that story with us. When you are alone and experiencing bangs, things moving, etc., it is amazing how fast you can vote to spend time outside... Or turn on every light in the house as my hubby does! πŸ˜‰

It is truly comforting when a loved one who has passed makes themselves known with a familiar sound or smell or phrase. How special that knock was for you and your family! Your dad was letting you know he was still sharing your family time with you!

Blessed be,
ParaTam

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: