You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: A Sad Christmas Eve

Real Ghost Stories

A Sad Christmas Eve

 

It was the first holiday without our Father, and we felt really strange. It was a tossed salad of emotions. On one hand, it was for the best. Our Parents just didn't get along. The fighting was terrible, and we hid in our rooms as we listened to the bickering.

Finally, it was over. They sat us down one day, and told us they were getting divorced. We knew it was a good thing, and in a way, I was relieved. No more listening to the grown ups acting like children. This is what it felt like. I took charge of the younger kids, and I kept them away from the slaps that rang out, when Daddy and Mother... Lost their tempers.

Anyway, Daddy moved on, and Mother...well, she did the best she could, I guess. That first year was really hard, but we tried to find normalcy in every day playing, going to school... You know, just being kids.

The first Christmas was a somber affair, and we had been told in advance, there just wasn't enough money for presents that year. I hoped my Daddy didn't have much to do with it, but I suspected he wasn't sending much-if any, child support. We were barely getting by as it was.

I was a sickly kid. Something was always happening to me, but I understand it all now. As a sensitive with "gifts", my body was under tremendous effort. Anyway, not to dwell on that aspect of my story, I want to tell you about the first Christmas we lived without Father.

My brother was being fitted in a costume. He was going to be playing an Angel in the Christmas story. I kept arguing with Mother and telling her the costume wasn't right. Angel wings were bigger...wider, with large arches, where it curved downward.

I remember my brother saying, "How would you know?" he laughed.

I was indignant, but couldn't say a thing back. I had seen real Angels, and I knew what their wings looked like. Who would believe me anyway? So I stayed silent, fuming at myself.

The evening progressed, and my Mother was sitting in her chair next to the doorway of our bedroom. We were listening to Christmas music, and reading. All of us kids were laying around on the carpet, quiet, for once, engrossed in whatever we were doing.

I caught a glimpse of something to my right, so I looked up at the movement. In the doorway to our bedroom, stood an old man. He had on high wasted pants with suspenders, and a plaid shirt. I remember blurting out, "WHO is that man?"

My Mother looked up from her book, and said very matter of fact,

"Oh! That's you Great-Grandfather...that would make him my Grandfather. He died before I was born, and he likes to visit during the holidays..." I had never seen him around in the past.

My Brother and sisters were looking at me and Mother-like we had lost our minds. She went on to explain that she had been given just one picture of him, and when he manifested himself, he always appeared in these clothes.

"What man?" my brother sputtered.

"I don't see anybody..." one of my sisters chirped up.

By the time everyone was through commenting on what had transpired, the old man was gone. He didn't say a thing, had never lived in this old house, and had died in another country. It was the first and ONLY TIME my Mother wanted to discuss the Ghost of her Grandfather, and she didn't say much. As soon as he was gone, she acted like it never happened.

After this, we never discussed the paranormal again. Over the years, I think she liked to think of this as her own little secret. I can't explain it here, but she was a bit narcissistic.

I wondered why he showed himself to just me and my Mother. Any ideas?

Other hauntings by ghostseer

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ghostseer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

starfalz (13 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-25)
wow...
What your mom did was so spontaneous, wasn't it...?

Did your ancestor do something while he was standing back then?
ChinaDoLL_09 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-24)
it could also be that your great grandpa tried to comfort you and your family... That even though your father wasn't there anymore he still wants you to know that you still got family - even in spirit. You're still blessed, in a way that night. I think your great grandpa even acted more likely like an angel that night too 😉
CA_NJGirl (6 stories) (31 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-24)
The "gift" does get passed down in families. There's a high level of psychic ability in my family--all of my brothers and sisters have seen spirits as has my Mom. My daughter and son both have seen spirits and paranormal activity. My daughter has a strong gift in this area and has seen spirits every where she's traveled. It can be disconcerting though when you mistake them for the living, esp. When no one else can see them.

It's a wonderful gift to be blessed with.
ToraOkami303 (1 stories) (75 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-21)
very sad but wonderfully written story... I know how hard it is not to be able to seriously talk about what you see... My mother chalkes up my pereinormal stuff with my belife in vampires (which I KNOW are not real it's just fun to pretend) my mom and dad joke because I like to be sure who turns my tv off... I can see how hard it is to have no family to talk to (though I am confadent my friend see a diffrent sort of spirit)

Till next time,
~Tora
Okmai~
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-24)
True...there is always a reason "why" we experience the things we do. The experiences can mold a child into a well rounded person... IF we learn from the past, and believe me when I say... I learned so much what not to do or BE LIKE!...Am very happy with who I have become, and where my future leads...Blessings, Ghostseer
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-24)
Ghostseer, I'm deeply sorry for the things you missed during your childhood. Kids are supposed to be kids and enjoy their time of innocence. And yet, had it not been for than "chosen path",you wouldn't have been the woman you are now.

Your siblings must feel lucky to have had you by their side.

Blessings to you too.
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-23)
Rhodes68: Your senses are quite keen. No, my Mother and I were never close. I wanted a relationship with her, but she wouldn't/couldn't give of herself. She was/is very self absorbed. An only child, she was raised to be the center of the universe. It is very sad. Yes, there was always a competition (In her mind). Hard to explain, but I raised myself and cared for my siblings. Had to... There wasn't anybody around to do so... It would have been nice to have an Adult to talk to about my "gifts"...but my Mother was/is extremely immature. Spoiled people do not know how to be loving and listen. I spent a lot of my time feeling sad for her... Still do... Blessings, Ghostseer
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-23)
Ghostseer thanks for sharing another interesting experience!

You seem to ask a question but I think that deep down you hold the answer in your heart.
"Over the years, I think she liked to think of this as her OWN little secret... She was a bit narcissistic." I think that WAS your grandfather's objective when he appeared to you two that day... To TELL her that there are things you two share, there is much you two have in common.

I'm a little hesitant but I'll ask it any way."Were you and your mom close or was there some kind of "competitive" relationship going on?"

Please don't think I want to pry-I don't but I get this very intense feeling that your Grandfather didn't appear to the two of you simply because your siblings were not as sensitive but mainly because he felt there was some kind of urgency to "bring the two of you closer". Maybe, just maybe he thought that if the two of you talked more openly of your experiences, that would have bonded you more.

Just a thought.
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-22)
Byluyster: As I mentioned below to Surya, As a child, I saw Angels with beautiful wings... They show us what we will be comfortable viewing. As an Adult, I never see them with wings. I appreciate your comment. Blessings, Ghostseer
BYLUYSTER (11 stories) (78 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-21)
It's funny how childhood memories seem so vivid... You recall how he was dressed. But given the circumstances, he seems to have come to let you and your mother know you weren't alone. You still had ties with your family, sad he couldn't communicate with anyone. I know how comforting that can be. Be glad you had that "gift" for what sounds like a pretty bleak Christmas.

As for angels, I've never saw any with wings. My Aunt Lou was an angel to my mother and me while my father lay dying in the hospital after his surgery. She would just show up, unannounced, walk in with a smile that lite up the room. She seemed to know when we couldn't handle being "alone" anymore. Not all angels have wings, but if they did, she would have the most beautiful ones of all. Now that she is in heaven, maybe she does.

God Bless,
Byluyster
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-20)
KimSouthO: I would like to think it was to comfort us, but you never know for sure. Especially since he didn't speak...Blessings, Ghostseer
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-20)
I am so sorry your family had such difficult and trying times to endure. I can feel how it was through the words of your story!

Your grand father did show him self to you in a measure of comfort, I beleive.

God Bless!
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-20)
rootwomin: True, western culture is very different. I am a Christian woman, and due to my ethereal gifts, I know the path I need to take. It is a personal thing, nothing against your beliefs. We are all so different, and this is a good thing!...Blessings, Ghostseer
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-20)
Surya: Please remember, I was a child at the time of this experience, and the Angels who surrounded me at different times-they had beautiful wings. Yes, I do know...NOW... That they appear in whatever form the living being is more comfortable viewing them. As a child, my memory is of Angels with beautiful wings. As an ADULT, the Angels NEVER have wings... Hope this clears this up. Sad Christmas titl?, due to my Parents divorce, the pathetic little tree with no gifts, we were a sad bunch that year. Blessings, Ghostseer
rootwomin (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-20)
our ancestors are always with us, some of us know that and acknowledge that, some of us don't.

Unfortunately western culture usually doesn't.

He visits because you are in his bloodline and he loves you all and wants to support your efforts on earth, like an angel. A guardian if you will.

It would have been nice to leave him some cookies and milk out on a little shrine where his picture and the other pictures of your ancestors were for christmas and new years. Things would have improved for the family for sure; but just by acknowledging his presence that went a long way as well.

Be blessed,
Rootwomin
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-20)
I would not call it a sad christmas if you were blessed to see your great grand father. I do however find it sad that he only chosse to show himslef to you and your mother, and not your brother and sister.

I have one question, where did you get that angels have wings? Angels can appear in any form. They are only on pictures with wings.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-19)
Yeah I understand None Of my Family believe in spirits, But me I do Believe.
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-19)
Just as I wrote. Not everyone experiences the same sightings, and in my family, most of the siblings do not have gifts. One of my sisters has the ability to heal others, and my youngest has a tiny bit of second sight. As my Mother grew older, her gifts seemed to leave her. I don't think she liked it very much, but who knows, she didn't like to talk about it...Blessings, Ghostseer
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-19)
Wow, You and Your mom the only one can see him "your grandfather" Interest But Not Your brother and Sisters.
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-19)
One of my sisters has healing abilities, and my youngest sister has limited second sight ability. No one else has any gifts...Blessings, Ghostseer
lazria (9 stories) (82 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-19)
Do any of your sisters or brothers show any gifts similar to yours? It could be they just weren't in tune to see him so just didn't. If you had if, it may have come from your mother - plus it was a blood relative of her's so it was more personal.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: