You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghost Of Mrs. Maples

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Of Mrs. Maples

 

My parents were looking for a new house to move to in Sturgeon Bay, WI. They found this house that my mom just fell in love with. The story of the house goes, that there was an elderly woman who lived alone in the house with her cats. She used to call the police to come and check on her, but when they got there she wouldn't answer the door.

My parents placed an offer on the house, but lost the house too two doctors. My mom would still drive by the house, almost every day, since it was a block away from where my grandparents were living.

One day she noticed a realtor sign in the front yard again. So she made an appointment with a realtor to view it again. After pulling up in front of the house, the occupant came running out yelling and screaming at my mother! After she realized that my mom was there to meet the realtor, and take a walk through the house, she calmed down and apologized for her outburst.

She told my mom that something in the house had been driving her dogs nuts, that they were constantly growling and snarling at something. This combined with other things, had forced the former couple to move.

When my parents moved in, they realized the doctors had started to remodel the kitchen. She believe that was the reason for Mrs. Maples being so mean to the previous owners.

My parents got the house, and started moving in. Before they could even get the beds in, my mom couldn't wait to stay there. She was sleeping on a couch downstairs, in the living room, when she started hearing music coming from the landing. After walking around to find the source of the music, she tracked it down to a box packed with precious moment figurines. At the bottom of the box was a musical figurine that was turned on. And no one had opened that box, since my mom was the only one in the house.

Mrs. Maples was also fond of playing tricks on my family living in the house. My grandmother used to come over and clean house to help my mom out. She would walk over every day for a couple of hours. Every now and then, my grandma would come over, the stereo would come on. "Walking After Midnight" by Patsy Cline would start playing on the stereo in the small room, my mom had some things stored in. First thought was that her grandsons were playing tricks on her, but upon checking on them they were both sound asleep yet. My grandma said she told Mrs. Maples that she didn't mind her playing music as long as she played good stuff. They got along well! She would also sit and rock in the old rocking chair, while grandma cleaned!

My dad wasn't as happy with her. He used to be afraid of her scaring him while he was moving around the house. If he went upstairs he asked her to go downstairs, and vice versa.

She did have a little bit of a mean streak. There were always people going in and out of their house. It was always unlocked, in case someone came over to visit. One day, some of my brother's friends stopped over to see him. When they knocked, they said an older woman called out to them to "Come in". Assuming it was my grandmother, they went in, and walked all through the house to find no one was home!

I think the worse prank she ever played was, one night when my grandmother called the house. She said and older woman answered the phone and told her my mother wasn't there. She asked who she was talking to, since she didn't recognize the voice. The woman replied "Mrs. Maples" my grandmother hung up and started yelling at my grandfather. He calmly told her to call back and yell at them for teasing her. So she hit redial, and when my father answered, she laid into him. He calmly asked what she was yelling about. She proceeded to fill him in, and told him how much she didn't appreciate the joke they had played on her. He told her that the phone hadn't rang all night. She was more then welcome to come over and check the caller I.D.

Other hauntings by MELIB

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MELIB, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Divine4 (8 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-06)
Woah! That would have been one cool grandma❤ It would be pretty nice knowing that she wouldn't do anything mean to you.
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-24)
That is a great story! It sounds like your family had a friend on the other side. I hope we get to hear more from you. 😊
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-23)
What an intriguing story MELIB! Thank you for sharing!

Like Kim, I'm also impressed by the way your grandmother got along with Mrs Maples-"while she cleaned, she would sit and rock in the old rocking chair."

I believe that despite the fact that Mrs Maples was a loner, she was more of a pranker that a "mean" woman. The same way she loved teasing the police officers, she enjoyed playing tricks on her "house guests" too.

Obviously she felt she was still the owner of that house-the landlady as she on many occasions, answered the door and the phone but I still think she did that mainly to tease than to dominate.

I think she was quite aware of her demise but chose to stay behind in the house she considered "home".
Alexandra (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-22)
Its interesting and I think Mrs Maple didn't want to leave her house and wanted everybody to let know that she is here.
Thanks for sharing yours experience with us.

😐 😲
Cholulteca (148 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-21)
I don't understand, how do you know her name was Ms Maples? 😕 Myaybe I'm not following the story entirely?
luvparanormal (12 stories) (268 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-21)
that is very interesting. I think it is awesome that you all decided to live with the fact and not be scared away like the previous ocupants. Do you still live there?
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-21)
Thank you for sharing your experience with us! Sounds like she was a wily old woman who was very young at heart and really liked her home. I'm glad she's getting along with you and her pranks are pretty minor.

Blessings,
DA
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-21)
Well, Mrs. Maples was certainly not ready to leave her home 😁.

Sounds like most of the pranks and little tricks she played, although frightening, were fairly harmless. SHe wanted to make sure all of you remembered she was there.

I love the part of her and your Grandmother getting along!

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experiences with us!

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: