You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Saying Goodbye

Real Ghost Stories

Saying Goodbye

 

In June of 2004 my father was diagnosed with cancer. After his surgery they gave him 3 months to live. My husband went through and made a big production of asking for my father's permission and taking to my family and making them a part of his proposal (which my dad missed completely because he was watching TV!). We decided to do things quickly because I wanted my father to be able to walk me down the isle.

We got married in December and my father made it until May before things got really bad.

One day I called my mom before heading off to work, (worked 30-40 minutes away from where we lived) to make sure that it was ok, I go to work that day. I just had a feeling that something wasn't right.

I got a call later that night from my mom, saying that she didn't think it was going to be long now and that I should come home. By the time I got to my parents' home, he was gone.

It turns out that he passed away about 10 minutes after I spoke with her.

I kind of got to say goodbye as they prepared to take him away. But it never was a complete closure for me.

At the time of his passing my husband was in the process of trying to fix my father's truck. It was one of his most prized possessions, but it still wasn't running.

A day after the memorial, I was sitting in the living room and my husband was sitting on the other couch across from me. Our house makes some very distinct noises when people walk around in it.

Well that night we heard someone walk down the hall towards us and turn into the kitchen. We turned to look waiting to see someone walk out but of course no one ever did! My husband looked over at me and said " well honey your dad came to say goodbye". At that point I started to cry. We never heard that again!

Other hauntings by MELIB

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MELIB, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Cassii (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-16)
Hey there,
Thank you for sharing this fantastic story. Your father really cared for you, and I am happy to hear that he came to say his last goodbye.

Cherish everyone around you and be happy. Smile and give love. =]

Cassie xx
sweet_girl (18 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-01)
Such a lovely story! I am sorry for your irreparable loss but I must say it was so nice that your dad came over to say you the final goodbye.😊 ❤

****Be Happy! Spread Smiles!****
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-27)
Hi and thank you for sharring this lovely story with us. First off I'm very sorry for your loss. It is hard to loose somone who we realy love. But your Father did comeback to say goodbye to you. Rhodes said it best and It brought a tear in my eye. Cherish those moments. I hope to hear from you soion and take care
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-26)
Bitter-sweet story MELIB! It really moved me!

I suppose you know by now that being there while he was passing on made little difference to him as he was determined not to leave without saying "goodbye".

The love we share with our families and significant others is strong and everlasting. Physical death cannot "erase" what the soul "feels".

Cherish his memory and the life you shared with him and be sure that whenever you need him near he will be to protect and comfort you!
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-26)
What a wonderful story! I hear so many like that and you were fortunate enough to have another person witness it too. Your dad must have known you needed the closure. Even when a parent is dying and we know it we still want to have that final goodbye if we can. Sorry for your loss but you know your dad is alive and well in another realm. I feel the same way about my passed loved ones. I know they are doing just fine on the other side.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: