You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Her Way Of Saying Goodbye

Real Ghost Stories

Her Way Of Saying Goodbye

 

This is not a very long story but it is one that has always fascinated me and touched my heart. My dad had a neighbor who lived beside him that was the sweetest 'old' lady. She was always outside tending to her flowers and plants. Whenever I would come over to visit my dad with my sons she would always mosey over and talk to me and tell me how precious my boys were. They always felt so comfortable around her and would give her a big hug when she would come over.

Over the months we noticed that her sons were coming over quite a bit and we didn't see her outside as much. Her youngest son told my dad one afternoon that his mom had cancer and was having a particularly hard time. Her condition just took her over so fast! It was sad to see this sweet woman having to endure so much pain, hindering her from doing what she loved so much - tending to her outside garden.

Late one night an ambulance came and took her away. We were told that she had been taken to hospice and would remain their until she passed. The cancer had just gotten too bad for her to care for herself at home. She was in hospice care for about a month before she finally passed on.

A couple weeks later my dad had to go away on a business trip. I told him I'd watch the house for him while he was away. One day as I was passing through his living room, something caught my attention from the corner of my eye. I looked out the front window toward the direction of the movement and right before my eyes, plain as day was Bernice, my dads neighbor who had passed away a couple weeks earlier! She was in her driveway looking at the plants in front of the house. This probably lasted only 30 seconds and just as quickly as I saw her, she was gone. I had to see this for myself to make sure it wasn't somebody else. I ran outside and walked completely around the house twice and didn't see a soul (pardon the pun). I smiled to myself and went back to my dads. I know in my heart it was her. I didn't feel sadness. I had a feeling of peace as I left her property.

I immediately told my dad about this when he got back from his trip. After I finished telling him my story he just looked at me kind of shocked. He went on to tell me that before he left for his trip, he had spoken with Bernice's youngest son - who was very close to her. He told my dad that he told his mom before she passed that he wanted her to give him a sign that she was at peace. My dad, who is a major skeptic, felt compelled enough to give me her son's number so I could call and tell him. I waited a day or so before calling. How would you react if somebody you didn't know calls out of the blue to tell you that he just saw your deceased mother? I finally did call and tell him what had happened.

He was quiet for a moment and with tears in his voice, said thank you, thank you so much. He didn't think I was crazy at all.

Looking back, I am so glad that I did tell him. I feel that maybe that that was her way of using me to relay to her family that she was happy and had in fact moved on.

Other hauntings by BriFischer05

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BriFischer05, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ghostboy001 (4 stories) (137 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-16)
wow. (if that was all I could write I would because that is all this story needs) this is a very touching story and it is one of my favs. ❤
Lisa (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-29)
Thanks BriFischer05, I am so happy to know that I'm not the only one to see, hear, and feel messages from the deceased. It's happened to me a few times, but with my loved ones. I love your story, and I'm sure Bernice will be a guardian angel for you and your family. 😊
BriFischer05 (14 stories) (169 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-29)
I do like to think it was her intentionally showing herself to me rather than it being just a residual case. Just the timing of ot and everything was perfect. I have not seen or sensed her since. Thanks for all the comments everyone. I hope you all had a wonderful holiday.
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-29)
Awww that is such a sweet story. I think as well as Bernice relying on your to pass the message on to her son, she also probably wanted to see her garden the flowers she so much loved looking after.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-28)
You did the right thing by telling her son about the encounter. I wonder how many people were given such signs and then blew it off thinking they were just seeing things? Despite not knowing how this man would react you went ahead and told him. That took courage. Most people would be afraid of being labeled a nutcase. What it did bring was closure to someone hurting and that is wonderful. I too, would have been so grateful for knowing that my loved one was alive and well on the other side and wanted their family to know it. Why someone outside of the family is chosen is probably due to making it really valid. People who are grieving think it's them making up something up in their head to comfort themselves while when it's given to someone outside the family it is an actual validation no one can refute. Kudos to you and the sweet lady who entrusted you with her sign. She must have known you would do the right thing.
Tiggy (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-28)
You are absolutely correct - that was the spirit of your sweet neighbor coming back just to let you know that all is well with her, as she has crossed over to the Other Side now.

You are very lucky to have caught a glimpse of something so reasurring!

Best of luck to you.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-28)
What an amazing story BriFisher and yet, bitter-sweet!

I would have to assume that Bernice chose to reveal herself to you and let you be her "messagers" because she felt that appearing to her son might have been too overwhelming.

That was a beautiful thing you did to tell him although I know it must have been a bit "awkward".
BriFischer05 (14 stories) (169 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-28)
I believe he still has a female watcher. I believe he experiences quite a bit more than we think. Bless his heart, he's only 2 1/2 and is just now finally being able to express himself and his feelings. He is a 'sensitive' little guy and I see it in his eyes - that he sees things he cannot explain and is effected by it. I try to keep an open mind and coax him to express himself freely without the fear of his parents - the ones he should feel confident and the most confortable speaking his true feelings and thoughts to. Anyways, its 3:30am Black Friday. My crazy 'gem' of a wife has just left to go fight the mad rush. I'm going to rey and get back to sleep! Thanks (JamesRobiscoe).
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-11-27)
BriFischer05--A wonderful and poignant story. Following the continuing tales by you and others on this site create broad profiles that show the great variety of experiences you gifted ones can have. From your early awarenesses to your hotel ghost man to the ones at home--you seem to take them all in steady stride. Does your one son still have the female watcher? What does he "know" about all this? And the other? Your wife is a gem, too, for loving you as you are. I hope Miss Bernice does appear to her son; he sounds like a guy of great feeling like you. Thanks for keeping us all posted.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: