You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Where Did The Light Go?

Real Ghost Stories

Where Did The Light Go?

 

This happened in Aug 1988 just before I transferred from a school I was attending in Pensacola, Fl.

I had some friends that were not enlisted in the Navy and they did some ghost hunting on the side. They were not an organized group per se, but if they found a public spot that had strange stories about it they would break out the cameras and tape recorders and try to prove or disprove the stories.

Fort Pickens is an old WW2 gun battery lookout post overlooking Pensacola bay. At one time it had large guns placed there to defend the bays entrance from enemy attack. One of these batteries was rumored to be haunted by WW2 soldiers that had died, not from battle, but in accidents that happened during training to use the large guns and it was these stories and a more recent one of a possible cult doing 'horrible' things inside the main Battery that took us out to investigate on a Friday night.

It was about 2130 (930pm) when we arrived at the Battery, the night was clear and the moon was 3/4 full (bright enough you didn't really need a flashlight outside) and the 5 of us checked our equipment in the parking area, flashlights-check, 3 brand new MAG Lights (4 D size batteries) and 2 large 9 Volt box type batteries. Camera's-check 2 35MM (1 Nikon/1 Cannon) one loaded with color film, the other with Black and white. 2 tape recorders. (Hey it was 1988, digital wasn't that big...) With this stuff checked we headed for the entrance.

Now Fort Pickens was open 24/7 to the public, all you had to do was drive in, the Batteries however did have fencing up to prevent people wandering into the and getting hurt, the fence on the main Battery was bent back and so it was easy to enter. (Yes, I was young and dumb and living in the moment.)

So in we went, flashlights blazing, the main corridor ran all the way across to the other side and on the left was another corridor. The Main corridor had lots of trash, and graffiti in it, not much to write home about. We turned left and made our way deeper into the Battery, the further we went the less garbage and graffiti we saw. This corridor seemed to go on forever, and then we saw pictures on the walls, not your average graffiti but real pictures.

One of these stands out in my mind; it was a copy of one of the Major Arcana cards from the Ryder Tarot deck, The Devil. (It represents stagnation, bondage and yes worse.) And just past this there were red foot prints that ran along the floor, then up the wall and onto the ceiling. (Yes the ceiling!)

It is at this point that all 5 of us got the feeling we were being watched, this feeling came from further in the battery, we turned our flashlights down the corridor and not one of the 5 seemed to cut the darkness any further than about 30 feet.

Now for the 2 box flashlights, this didn't concern me, they were older, and perhaps the bulbs were weak, but 2 of the Mag lights were brand new, bought the day before, just for this trip and they should have lit up the entire corridor, but they weren't. When shined back the way we had come all the beams seemed to work fine, turn and shine deeper into the Battery and it seemed the darkness swallowed the beams of light...

We decided it was time to go, the feeling of being watched had increased and after a short discussion 3 of the 5 of us voted to get out. As we left we would take turns looking backwards and it seemed as if the darkness was following us, the flash lights when shined backwards would only shine a short distance before being 'sucked' up by the dark, and when facing forward worked normally. Out we 'pop' and the feeling of being watched lifts, that is until we get into the parking lot, then one of my friends turns to me as I ask "Does anyone feel like we're being watched, again?" She nods her head and we hear the sound of a stick breaking.

The sound came from the top of the Battery and we looked up and saw two hooded figures silhouetted in the moonlight standing on top of the Battery. We pile into the car and 'fly' out of the parking area, down the road and into the civilization of Pensacola Beach. We were followed by what appeared to be a dark colored van and as we pulled into the parking for one of the public beach areas this van pulled a U-turn and headed back towards Fort Pickens.

I want to know what happened to our flashlight beam, which was the creepiest thing (for me) that happened. Had the batteries gone dead, that would be one thing, but for the beams to not illuminate the way they should one direction, and to work fine pointed any other direction has stick with me the most about this experience.

Other hauntings by rookdygin

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rookdygin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-30)
I don't know what took me so long to add this to my favourites! It's scary, alright! I know what you mean, when you look back at what we experienced at a young age, we realize how many things we did are so stupid! But, you know what? Those are the experiences that make us who we are and that we are better for it.

As for the history of the place, I think the soldiers who have died there are harmless and I hope they have crossed over. But what you experienced, is the work of an occult because what you experienced shouldn't be possible. It's downright creepy. I probably would have peed my pants if I saw the hooded figures.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-14)
galleygal,

Thanks for the link... The Batteries were really cool to visit during the day, but after dark?!? I think what you called it...atmosphere...sums it up nicely.

Respectfully,

Rook
galleygal (3 stories) (150 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-13)
[at] rookdygin - trippy. Similar sites and activities were reported in Buffalo, NY - my home town - when I was a kid. I actually found an article that discusses it:

Http://www.examiner.com/article/devil-worship-buffalo

I had been to the grain mills with friends and they were eerie, atmophere-laden places littered with ritual paraphenalia and satanic graffiti, but I sure never went out there at night!
Vanessanda (3 stories) (226 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-18)
Scrap that last question, I found the beginning or the stream thanks!
Vanessanda (3 stories) (226 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-18)
Rook, like Troyan, I would also like to know about the guys in the van. Were they a cult and why did they follow you? Did they mean harm or just to scare you away?

As for the rest of the posts, wowww I'm now starting to understand who you really are. I'm only sorry it took me so long.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-03)
I've no explanation to offer concering the lights, but wanted you to know that I truly enjoyed this story (as well as your others). Now I am interested in what the folks in the van had in mind and what is exactly going on at this fort. Fill us in if you find out anything and keep posting your experiences. Great stuff!
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-12-13)
Allrighty---get back by email if you do.
Don't look now but I think you're about to become an esteemed poster here.



๐Ÿ˜Š
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-13)
succubiluv,

The theory I heard was just that... I 'heard' it. It is not one that I have been able to read up on or do any research into.

Whitebuffalo posted something not so long ago where her son and husband were explaining something in a similar manner... Except they used a piece of paper and origami folding to explain it.

I'll do some more searching and see if I can find a reference or link for you.

Respectfully,

Rook

P.S. No nothing yet on the flashlight experiment. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I'll keep you posted.

R,

R
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2008-12-13)
ROOK, I didn't find the overlaying dimensons theory.

To me, the abilIty of spirits to pass through solid matter and to transit through spacetime virtually at the speed of thought may be two facets of some single property inherent in their nature.

To transit through rather than around solid matter, a body would have to bypass the properties of the elementary fermions of which the solid matter is made.
To transit through a given segment of spacetime at speeds that approach or transcend the speed of light, a body would have to possess some property that bypasses all natural characteristics of that element as we know them.
The spirit property bypassing the one could well be the property that bypasses the other, since in each case a spiritual property is transcending a physical property.

I used propulsion as an example in the other post about this, but inter-dimensional travel sounds more appealing and practical; sorta makes the transit of spirit bodies by propulsion sound like monochrome analogue t.v. Versus HD wireless communication.

At the least, this makes for a very engrossing subject worthy of further pursuit.
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-12)
Yeah---that's one example of how spirits function outside the laws of our realm.
Overlaying dimensions...I'll need to look that up. Sounds interesting.
All I want for Christmas is... An overlaying dimension. ๐Ÿ˜Š
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-12)
succubiluv,

Well met. I understand what you are getting at, spirits/entities seem to be able to move from place to place 'in the blink of an eye'. And at times they move through things, walls/doors...whatever. This clearly demostrates 'something' outside our known laws of physics. I once heard a conversation about 'overlaying deminsions or realities' that described them as being like a sheet folded in half, then in quaters, then in eighths (and so on). The point the speaker was trying to make was that by a means unknown to us a spirit or entity could move between each one, thus appearing to move 'in the blink of an eye' or 'right through a wall'. I don't have an answer to this one...yet... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Or purhaps spirits just don't realize they 'can't' do it and so they are able to. Again, I don't know. One day I hope to. But right now...

Respectfully,

Rook
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-11)
Brief note, Rook--From what I can discern at this point a relationship between shadow entities and General Relativity, if there is any, would lie farther inside the theory than its gravity/acceleration/space curve basics.

I say this because spirits are so clearly outside the confines of known laws of physics which operate our physical realm that any effort to "explain" a given aspect of their being other than their energy becomes similar to an attempt to lasso the shadow of a galloping horse.

More likely, the capability of spirit beings to manipulate and use the natural laws of our realm to their advantage in their dealings with us would yield a more immediately recognizable result.
A simple example is available: the speeds at which spirits have been known to travel from one point to the next clearly reveals a peculiar freedom from the laws of gravity and spacetime as these are known to affect us.

What we consider to be our knowledge of spacetime and gravity, as represented by Einstien's model, helps us immediately recognize this aspect of spiritual energy as a propulsion capability not restrained by the known or unknown implications of that model.
Knowledge of that model may not supply any details of HOW the propulsion is achieved, but provides some idea of the forces that have to be overcome (and perhaps a mathematical model of the level of power necessary for overcoming them) for the propulsion to be achieved.

You probably were'nt so serious about this subject, but your mention of it set me to thinking about it. An engaging kernel of thought... ๐Ÿ˜Š
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
AMEN! And THANK YOU, Rook!

THAT is exactly how I feel about this site.
We SHOULD be able to "... Share our experiences/'gifts' to help bring understanding and aid to others."

Exactly.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
DA,

It's been wonderful, not only was I able to offer help, but the 'no clutter' factor has been absolutly wild. We should be able to share our experiences/'gifts' to help bring understanding and aid to others.

Succubiluv,

I don't remember seeing one, but please check your sent items and I'll double check my in box... You sent it to the addie in my profile right?

Isn't that what we come here for, to talk about our experiences and share our thoughts on them, follow the conversation as far as it will take us?

(And no, no flashlight experments as of this time. I'm working on building a 'scale' hallway out of wood that I/we (my 9 year old) can work with... ๐Ÿ˜)

Respectfully,

Rook
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
Hey Rook, I sent you an email late last week--did you get it? I think I forgot what was in it--oops.
I'll scratch my head until I can recall---or until the scalp gets too irritated to go on.

You can email back if you like, or if you find it.
Some of your threads are great for evolving into another dimension of discussion.
Wonder what the next evolution will be.

PS---any flashlight experiments yet?
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
Reading all of the comments here and following this extremely riveting conversation--which I hope you all don't mind that I do!--has really opened my eyes to how important it is to remain in a "community spirit" when handling things of this nature. I'm so pleased that you all were able to help each other with these things. ๐Ÿ˜ I have that warm-fuzzy feeling...

Warmest blessings,

DA
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
(Taking Rhodes68 hand in his and kissing the back of it as he takes a simple and humble bow)

Thank you for allowing me to help, this is what it is all about. I must admit I am suprised by the fact that this particular discussion stayed between, well at first between whitebuffalo and myself, and here at the end between the three of us. (four if you count our unidentified lady friend)

I would like to thank everyone for this chance to 'speak' one on one with those involved and stay focused on the matter at hand.

Now excepting questions and comments, please feel free to ask or state your opinion.

Respectfully,

Rook
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
Rook THANK YOU not only for your insight but mainly for the comfort I felt when recreating this mental image.

I was so distressed thinking that no matter what I do, I could never comfort her or him for the loss they both suffered. I know this world is not exactly the "perfect place" but then again there IS beauty so unique within this "imperfection".

What can be more beautiful than seeing a child play? One needs very little "wealth" in this life to feel complete, to feel they have seen and felt what it is that makes this life worth living.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

No, you need not explain further...
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
Well met Rhodes, thank you for the information, it adds to my impressions.

I 'feel' the little girl is you. As you stated...

"I am nostalgic of those days Rook, I often think of the good old days, the carefree and innocent ones but still I have to wonder why the girl and the boy "occupy" the same space. Who is this boy? I gave my horse to an infant but we all see a boy supervising this young "amazon"...very confusing!"

I don't see this as confusing at all, not only do you miss those days, because of the circumstances of this woman you truly empathize with her and the loss of not only her life, but of her child's and a younger part of yourself is 'manifesting' to provide comfort to 'him'. Just as she has reached out to you, because you feel her presence and have 'reached' out to help, she tries to comfort you and the way she does reflects the stress of her 'loss'. (her passing as well as that of her child)

Yes I feel that the male presence is her still born son. I believe, and my church teaches, (quite a few do I believe) that one of the reasons we take on a physical body is so that on 'Judgment Day', Christs Return, what ever marks the end of days, our spirits and our bodies will be reunited and made perfect. So I do not feel it a far stretch to believe that her still born son has manifested as an older child.

There our those spirits whom come to earth for the soul purpose of obtaining that physical body they need to 'reach' perfection when the time comes for that to happen. The spirit of this 'little boy' I believe was one of these.

I hope that makes sense, please feel free to ask any questions you may have and I shall endeavor to answer them as best as I can.

Respectfully,

Rook
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
Hello Rook. Thank you for responding.

The first time I "perceived" this woman she was no more than "a presence". I knew she was in the same space as me, I knew someone else "a figure of a man" was looking at her. I felt her emotions. She was hiding in fear. I "invited" her to reveal herself as I kept going back to the place I perceived her, tuning in with her emotions.

Then one day, I caught a glimpse, another day I saw a more complete image. Her lamentation lead me to the burrial place and after that I started asking around, did research, made a few trips to meet the ones connected to her (offsprings of the Elders who knew her).

Again I wasn't given the whole story so I kept inviting the visions until the whole or the largest part of the story was revealed.

Her visits to my house took place after the revelations.

Her still born child I sensed it was a boy. The ones involved confirmed my suspicion but claim they cannot be absolutely certain.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
Once she knew it was you, everything was just fine. In fact, her words were "Oh, ANYTHING for research, you know me..."

I will ask for some descriptive properties from her.
Thank you.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
Yes Rhodes you can always say NO... I never meant to be seen in the first place...

Respectfully,

Rook
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
rhodes68,

You have given me a good many more details and here are my feelings based on these details:

First/ "Another point I would like to stress that MIGHT be relevant to this picture is that the lady is the misty figure in my story My Night Visitor-a figure that keeps visiting from time to time and is related to me-an old family member.

She insists on "lulling me to sleep" and treating me like a baby". I wish I could see what she sees when she looks at me."

Did she start visiting after you became aware of the facts the woman and her still birth? Or have her visits led to your discovery of those facts?

Second/ "A certain individual passed during childbirth. The child itself didn't survive as it was premature."

Is the gender of the premature child known?

I think you can see where my 'intuition' is leading me on this one but I'll wait for answers before adding more.

Thank you for coming forward, and whitebuffalo, I will not be visiting again, at least not without a specific invitation. I did not mean to be seen and there is really no reason to do so. Did she give you any further description of 'the shadow' that she saw? I ask because from a validation stand point it would mean a great deal. There are two things she may have noticed, either would 'seal the deal' so to speak. Thanks again for this chance to help.

Respectfully,

Rook
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
"...for research purposes...?" ๐Ÿ˜† Does that mean I might be getting a visitation too? Can I say "no"?

Hi Autumn, I'm going to have the photos by tonight and hopefully my e-mail will reach its destination. Just let me know as soon as you get them.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
Sorry to leave in such a flurry yesterday, but I was so excited I had to contact them both. (Hi *waving* Rhodes! How are you?)

Rook?
The other woman would like to send you a message, but is working up the courage to do so. If she e-mails, shall I forward to yours? Or would you like it on this page for credibility?
I think you made an impression. I know you knocked MY socks off. It has been a few years since I have actually had the opportunity to honestly say that.
I thank you from the bottom of my being for being as open as you are to assistance, and not shrinking away from the possibility of "something else". EVEN if you DID scare one of the women! (By the way, NOW she is OK with it. She just thought things were "coming to a head". She said you could visit her whenever needed ๐Ÿ˜Š for research purposes)
Thank you.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
I knew I was going to second post... Anyways. Then again I'm not that nostalgic to want to "visit" that time so much that I would go as far as leaving "an imprint" on time. On the contrary, I'm quite fascinated by the present and the main reason is that by coming to realise that my childhood dreams were far from dreams, I can now look back and re-read the past, search my path and come to understand how those steps led to today.

Another point I would like to stress that MIGHT be relevant to this picture is that the lady is the misty figure in my story My Night Visitor-a figure that keeps visiting from time to time and is related to me-an old family member.

She insists on "lulling me to sleep" and treating me like a baby". I wish I could see what she sees when she looks at me.

Too coincidental I think. I don't know if anyone sees a sort of connection but I'm inclined to believe there is one...maybe.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
Well, well (smile), that is what I call a breathtaking discussion, sorry I missed it but I've been very busy lately.

Autumn thanks for the interest in my case-no problem revealing my id and thank YOU Rook for the most interesting insight!

I'm the second woman-the one with the wooden horse. There's something I need to add concerning this particular "toy" and the "one" it was given to.

The toy dates back to the 1900's and was given to me by my grandmother. I loved it, played with it every single day which became the reason I learnt to ride real horses since the age of five.

This toy is no longer in my possession. Certain tragic events about the past-somebody else's past were revealed to me this past year. A certain individual passed during childbirth. The child itself didn't survive as it was premature. I managed to locate the spot were the unfortunate mother and child "rest" and approaching the owner of the property (it's the yard of a country house) I gained more insight as to the fate of these two souls. I think he "sees" too.

I asked him if it would be ok for me to bring a toy I treasure to the yard just in case a particular individual wanted to rock her infant to sleep. He agreed.

Some time later, I sneaked through the gate...won't be doing that again... His pitbull didn't like my looks at all and snapped a shot of the horse.

The result was that certain "gifted" people (๐Ÿ˜Š) saw a little girl who sounds very much like me playing on the horse while a little boy is standing at the back watching over me. I "see" the boy only.

My suggestion is to e-mail Autumn a picture of myself when I was a youngster and have her verify if it IS me they're seeing.

I am nostalgic of those days Rook, I often think of the good old days, the carefree and innocent ones but still I have to wonder why the girl and the boy "occupy" the same space. Who is this boy? I gave my horse to an infant but we all see a boy supervising this young "amazon"...very confusing!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-08)
Wow, Oh WOW. THANK YOU whitebuffalo. That makes me feel really, really good. Sorry I didn't mean to scare anyone. Sense I began my Journey I project myself as a shadow looking person... There are other details, but I will not state them here. (maybe you will fill in the 'details' or mayhap your friend will give you more details and further validate this on going story.)

For those reading this who thought my desrciption of the individual involved was a bit broad...

"I wish I could have posted before you, just for a bit of validation. I 'figured' out that the first toy was a rag doll last night as I was 'seeking' answers. (At least I know I got that part right.) The first woman wears 'professional dress' to work (skirt with blouse and jacket or pant suit) and she has light brown or 'dirty' blond hair?"

I must admit it looks as if I was 'fishing for a description of this person but all I wanted was validation for myself that I was following the right 'track'.

That brings us to the next part...

"If anyone or herself 'saw' something out of the ordinary last night early this morning I offer my deepest apologies. (whitebuffalo, if this person reported a 'shadow figure' last night or early this morning that is what I'm refering to...) "

I truely mean it when I said I am sorry if I upset or bothered anyone, I was 'projecting' myself as I sought answers to the questions whitebuffalo had posed to me. But man oh man what a GREAT validation. ๐Ÿ˜†

I thank you again whitebuffalo for the chance to help you and those you call friends. Please ask me anytime you feel a need and I will do my best to help.

Respectfully,

Rook
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-08)
OOOO, was that YOU?!
I got a frantic phone call (about midnight, one o'clock) stating that "Not only am I seeing myself as a six year old, NOW I am getting Shadows that take on HUMAN attributes!"
OOOOh, I have to go. Gotta call her!

Thanks again, Rook, I WILL be back. I just have to explain this all to her...
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-08)
I hope none involved with this were offended with my brief desciption of themselves, it was my intent only to validate anything I was posting next.

Those first insights always make me feel like I'm out on a very thin branch on a very blustery day so I find it good to validate anything I may be reading to ensure I'm reading the right person. If anyone or herself 'saw' something out of the ordinary last night early this morning I offer my deepest apologies. (whitebuffalo, if this person reported a 'shadow figure' last night or early this morning that is what I'm refering to...)

Thank you for asking for my help, I was glad to do soand please keep me posted as to the other lady in question.

Respectfully,

Rook

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: