You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Dolly

Real Ghost Stories

Dolly

 

As young children, I and younger sister Annie used to share a bedroom. We lived in a detached house in the outskirts of Stubbington and our parents had just left to go to a party. I, being 11, and Annie, being 8, were sitting on our beds playing 'I Spy.' Our babysitter shouted upstairs that it was time for us to go to bed. So we climbed into bed (both of us had a bed which was high up with a desk underneath) when Annie wanted to carry on playing I spy.

Annie, being a young persistent girl, was insolent and spied something with the letter D. Instantly; the first word that came to my head was 'dolly.' I was just about to say it when the dolly fell off the desk from underneath my bed. I shouted. What moved the dolly? It was probably the wind I thought. But the window was not open! Oh well, it wouldn't have fallen off by itself.

'Dolly,' I said, in response to my sister. Annie screamed from under her covers.

'Something's touching my foot!' Annie cried.

She looked under the covers and saw something wrapped around her left foot. Annie grabbed it and threw it on the floor. The rag doll lay still and lifeless. We shut the doll in the drawer. Charlotte, the baby sitter, wondered what all the shouting was about.

'The doll just moved!' We both shrieked. But Charlotte would have none of it. She was a tough baby sitter and went back downstairs to her TV programme.

In the morning we awoke early. We checked the drawer but the rag doll was missing. That day we searched the house high and low, but it couldn't be spotted anywhere. We gave up trying to explain to people what had happened; no one would believe us anyway.

Next week we went outside to play with our neighbor and friend, Laura Lee. She said that she found a rag doll in her room, which she had never seen before. We checked it out, and it was our rag doll!

Was this down to paranormal activity?

Or was this just a simple misunderstanding?

Other hauntings by stubbington

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, stubbington, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tabby_Cat (15 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-31)
That is NOT a simple misunderstanding. How in the world could the doll suddenly wrap around her foot if it was on the floor? Wait. What WAS wrapped around her foot? Was it the doll? Or just... SOMETHING... And how could you lock it up and it suddenly be at your friend's house? That is just scary as heck and I don't want to believe it! Forgive me... 😭
leftstubbingtonn (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-30)
yes stubbington it is me

I haven't changed my name (as of yet 😁)

But I still remember dolly D:
stubbington (3 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-11)
leftstubbington, are you laura lee? (you may have changed your name for multiple reasons e.g. Marrige)

If so, email me on here and we can talk.
lioncat97 (2 stories) (67 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-11)
I had a toy and put it in my closet, and when I woke up, it was on my bed.I'll save that story for later good bye.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-08)
Well I'm not sure what this was but it sure was scary! To be honest if a doll grabbed me by the foot I would probably cry like a baby 😆.Thanks for sharring this story with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
leftstubbingtonn (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-06)
stubbington I had a simular experience to this I think I'm the person you looking for

😕
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-05)
Stubbington and shadow-witch, the short combination of words I complemented are cited below in whitebuffalo's post.

Thanks for your explanatory input whitebuffalo!

😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-05)
Two word phrase? "Simple misunderstanding". It is straight out of your comment there, stubbington, AND in the last sentence of your tale.
Yeah, I gotta agree. There is NO WAY that you could MISUNDERSTAND a doll wrapping itself around a foot, being tossed into a drawer, and then showing up at a friends house.
What I have to wonder is, what is with the doll? You won it at a fair game. Was there a disturbing occurrence that the neighbor girl was going through that a doll may have helped in soothing?
Thank you.
shadow_witch (65 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-05)
Yeah, that's what I was wondering... What "two-word phrase?" I don't see it either. 😕?
stubbington (3 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-05)
Sorry, what useful two-word phrase?

This was a really creepy time in my life. I decided to post this story first as this was my first ecounter with the paranormal.

I am going to eventually post more stories about my experiences. I have already uploaded 'Drama Room' - should be up and ready in a few days. 🤔
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-04)
Stubbington--your strategy in using that 2-word phrase was simple and direct.
And it worked.
Soon as I saw it my eyeball jumped!
It's a good example of skillful writing.
Please do an update on the questions posted... 😊
stubbington (3 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-04)
Thanks for all the interesting comments!

I won the doll in a local fair about a year before this, but nothing had ever happened until now?

My friend kept the doll and moved 3 months later. I have never heard from her again - I am trying to track her down! I didn't hear anything happen after, but I wasn't really close to laura so I doubt she would have told me if she did anyway. However I AM trying to track her down and hope to do so soon.

I too thought this was a poltergeist, but I needed to put down the 'simple misunderstanding' remark to broaden peoples minds. I wanted all points of view in this disussion.

Thanks for sharing all the comments!
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-04)
I'm going to echo succubiluv, rhodes68 and Jmak's questions! I'd like to hear where that dolly originally came from. I'd be terrified, and I'd plan on locking that dolly up if I were you! Having it wrap itself around Laura's foot and disappear only to reappear somewhere else...that's too many bizarre things for it to be a coincidence! May the spirits protect you.

Warmest blessings,

DA
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-04)
I'm in total agreement with succubiluv! What kind of misunderstanding could that have been when the "human agent" cannot be accounted for the events in this story?

I was wondering... Who gave you this doll? Was it an old one, something you have found or was it someone's present?

Being in the age you both were, I might say it sounds like Poltergheist although these are not the "common" outcomes of such type of phenomenon. Did you have any other experiences apart from this one?
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-04)
Sounds like a lot more than a simple misunderstanding here.
If that doll wrapped itself around her foot there could be no misunderstanding of that.
Likewise, the re-appearance of the object in a remote location without explainable help from a human source can in no way match the innocent profile implied by a "simple misunderstanding".
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-04)
That Is Creeping story and I too watch Chucky too also the other show called dolly too about little girl don't believe in that dolly is a bad doll but her family think it is bad.
tmari76 (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-03)
wow...I would have buried that doll in the back yard and heaven help me if it turned up back in my bedroom again! That is scary! Of course, I never could finish watching any of the Chucky movies either, so I guess that is why your story has caught my attention.
Flutterofwings (13 stories) (428 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-03)
I agree with Jmak more information is needed so we can post what we feel...
Jmak (6 stories) (156 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-03)
Hmmmm interesting, do you happen to remember where you got the doll from? It might help to determine what's going on with it. Did your friend keep the doll? What happened to the doll later on, anything? Did your friend tell you about any other odd occurances? Sorry for all the questions but I think more information is needed before any help can be given. Please keep up updated, thanks for sharing this with us. God bless. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: