You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Guests That Never Left?

Real Ghost Stories

Guests That Never Left?

 

I used to work in a small town on the Door Peninsula. It was an older family owned hotel that reminded me of the Shining. I loved it there; it was big, old and beautiful. When I first started they were in the process of updating things, since it had fallen into disrepair.

We had a very small two part office just a little ways from the entrance, and you had to turn around a corner to get to the desk where I sat. At first it was just hearing footsteps on the carpet and I would get up to greet the person and no one would ever get to me. But at the same time people could walk right up to the desk that I never heard approach. I didn't think much of it.

After a while I got used to being the only one in the building at times, I wasn't excited about it, but I got used to it. Our head ground's crewman took great pleasure in scaring the crap out of me. He would sneak up and open the door to the office, which I was normally sitting next to, and would watch me jump 2 feet out of my chair!

So the first time I hear my name, I immediately thought of him. I walked out and looked around, checked all the hallways and places he could have been hiding, but he wasn't anywhere around. I went back to sitting at the desk reading my book when I heard my name whispered again. This time I was out of the chair like a shot! Running around looking for him, again he was no where around. When confronted he said he had been out on the greens (it was a golf course too).

Then I was helping out our housekeeping staff, since they had had a couple of girls no show, I offered to strip down the rooms closest to my office. I went into the first room and did everything I remembered to do, but at the end realized I missed something. So when I moved on to the room across the hall, I started along like I had the first two rooms, and all of a sudden I heard a man's voice say "Get out!"

My first reaction of course was that it was someone playing a trick on me for actually working, since I very seldom help out housekeeping. I left the room, looked around and found no one to be even near me, I even looked out the window! I continued my removing of the dirty linen and turned around to empty the coffee pot basket when I very distinctly heard it again "Get out!"

I walked out of the room, found the head housekeeper and told her what happened, and told her I was DONE helping! She mentioned her staff had never had a problem.

Later I confirmed from former employees that the room that I was in, before being remodelled was the sleeping room of the former manager. After being relieved of his duties, he went back to his apartment (off property) and drank himself to death.

One other encounter I had was up in the kitchen. I was pulling things out of the fridge for breakfast and was setting them on a large work table when across the room a one gallon mayo container filled with metal utensils flew off of the shelf and landed in the middle of the floor. I left them there and continued on with my work rather quickly, and ran the items downstairs as fast as I could, and didn't go back upstairs until there were other employees around. I picked up the utensils and placed them next to the sink to be washed.

There are other stories that I will pass on from other employees that had been passed down to me.

So we are having a hard time deciding who the spirit is, or maybe there is more than one. The former owner was a very strict man and liked things done a certain way. Could he be coming back to inspect our work? The manager that never wanted to leave? Or maybe a guest that liked our hotel so much that he chose to stay there for eternity?

Other hauntings by MELIB

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MELIB, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MELIB (5 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
You are correct, I no longer work there. I left a number of years ago. The other people that I work with had told me similar stories that make be believe that I didn't imagine these things. I had also gotten a number of stories from guest that had stayed there over the years and former employees over the years I was there. The stories range from the boss to the head chef. They were also all differnt types of experiences.
I do not believe that the current owner's would want it known, so that is why I'm not giving out the name.

I have thought often how fun it would be to have it investigated to prove that we didn't imagine that experiences we had.
I haven't done any research on the property since my departure and still only know a little bit of the history.
Thank you all for your interest 😁
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-08)
As Lynn stated before if others have encountered what you did then I guess there is something there. When one person experiences something strange at a place he should try tp reason this out in any rational way. But if others have similar experiences well then explaining things in a rational way won't help. You can try explaining things but honestley you would be lieing to yourself. Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-05)
If you are not the only one experiencing things then that adds to the validity. I am assuming from your story you no longer work there but know employees that do? Or just that you remember stories from those employees? I'm sure there is a lot of background on a place that size that is still in business. Would be interesting to research as much as you can about it. Sounds like the kind of place that would be an investigators dream. Some places don't want to be known for being haunted while other places have a great business simply because they are haunted. Wonder what a good investigation would turn up at this place?
shandi (9 stories) (86 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-05)
it would be so interesting if you could have someone who is very sensitive come in and see if they can tell who is there. Great story really looking forward to hearing more about this hotel, do they have a website?
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-05)
I think it's possible that it could be former tenants or the manager like you say. If it starts freaking you out, just tell them to leave you alone, and try not to show any fear! It's YOUR place of work after all.:)

Warmest blessings,

DA

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: