You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: The Attack On Vacation - The Scariest Experience Ever

Real Ghost Stories

The Attack On Vacation - The Scariest Experience Ever

 

It was the vacation of a lifetime-just my best friend Nicole and I going away to Ireland. I was very excited as we were going to stay in a famous castle, which of course had some history of its own.

I believe it was Cabra castle of something to that effect. I recall it as it was yesterday. We were in room #71.

We left our room to go through the courtyard to the main castle for dinner. We then proceed to go look for this haunted bridge or something. We made a few jokes about how we were going to hang each other from the bridge. We had a bit of fun with that, hit the bar and then went back towards our room

After returning, our luggage was messed up on the floor. We thought nothing of it-could have been the maid for all we know. We noticed that the dog that went around the hotel courtyard was outside of our room (was an Irish wolfhound).

We got to bed about an hour or so after we had got back and we locked the door and the dog got up and went away. So it was now about 1 a.m.

I was sleeping through the night and at around 3.a.m., I had a rude awakening.

I started freaking out because I felt like someone was on top of me and that I was being scratched at. I was freaking out and I started screaming and moving around and I was hitting Nicole trying to wake her up.

I felt that my face was bleeding and could taste the blood. I was in a state of panic.

I managed to get Nicole up and she was trying to calm me down. I was telling her I was bleeding and to get help right away.

As she felt my face she felt the blood. She was in shock! So she said she would turn on the light and call the desk for help.

She reached for the phone and light which were right by one another and she got as she described "Brutally pushed aside hitting her head on the floor".

She reached for her pocket keychain light to search for the light. She crawled over to the light switch and came running back to the bed where I was still feeling as if I was pinned down.

She got on the bed to check on me and I felt as if I could freely move so I sit up. I was feeling pinned down this whole time hence my freaking out.

She checked me for blood and there was no sign of blood.

We went to open the door and check to see if there was any sign of forced entry into our hotel room in case it was something else. There we saw the dog walk back to the front of our door and he lay down there. We couldn't get back to sleep at all.

The whole thing freaked me out and I am not sure what exactly happened.

Why was the dog back after the attack?

Why could I taste blood and then be fine?

I couldn't move and I did not shove Nicole off the bed.

It was one of the freakiest experiences ever. Did I anger a spirit and they were being spiteful?

This isn't my first encounter with strange beings just the most physical.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, shawnxmonkey, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-10)
wow great story... This is the shiat I'm talking about... Keep em coming...
iParanormal (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-08)
I believe the dog was there to, kind of, protect you, subconsiously. (If that makes sense) As if he's presence there would make the spirit hesitate before doing anything.

In an old house I grew up with we had 3 dogs, 2 German Shepperds and a Husky, and they would literally take turns and guarding the door of the end bedroom of the hall way.
Once a fortnight or so the house would have a sense of dread where everyone would feel uncomfortable in the house and leave.
During this time all of the dogs would stand at the doorway barking and growling for hours on end.

I hope this bring some light on the situation,
Hope your well,
-iPara
markorourkephoto (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-23)
scary story, I'm from kingscourt, cabera castle is just outside the town. I have several friends that work there and they tell me lots of storys about strange goings on in the rooms and that, and as for the the irish wolfhound Oscar, hes deaf and nearly blind so that may explain his calm behaviour
Murraymints (2 stories) (16 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-04)
That is soo weird omg. I believe you though... That was weird:/ did you tell the staff or manager.? You should look up what was there because you can find out what it was and also you can find some really interesting things about the castle. I bet that castle has loads of history about it. You should look it up.
sigkg (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-11)
I have heard that dogs can sometimes sense spirits, maybe it sensed something when it was in the courtyard and then it came to your door like someone said before because it heard the noises
Good story
shawnxmonkey (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
DA: After it happened I tried to think of the logic behind it. I thought is this possible or was it something that could be explained. After going through the list of what could be explained. The only 2 for sure that know what happened this night are Nicole and I. Although I strongly doubt it is just science, we both felt something after it was over. We looked for the answers.

Thanks everyone who has commented so far.
I have more experiences I would like to share in the near future although none as severe as this.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-08)
shawnxmonkey, please try not to be offended--I don't think theprofessor intended to make light of your situation. It's just that we try to find scientific and logical explanations for things before we jump to the conclusion that it's paranormal. People have had some really far-out experiences that seemed for sure to have a paranormal basis, but instead, they were just normal things. I'm not agruing with you; I think it's possible that you had a spiritual encounter... Especially because of your friend getting thrown off the bed. I can't say for sure because I wasn't there.

Warmest blessings,

DA
shawnxmonkey (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-06)
Theprofessor: Of course everything can be explained but I know the taste of blood.
Sweat could of been an easy possibility however my face rarely ever sweats, and as I said I know the taste of blood, and I know the taste of sweat. Sweat is a much saltier and disgusting taste. Blood is more rich.

How would you explain Nicole getting thrown off the bed? You can't come around and pin that on me because I would not throw my best friend.

Nicole was awake at this point and I have had a so called woken dream as you speak of in the past This one had to deal with a vampire, but that's not the point and I know the difference those I have been able to get out of in a matter of seconds.

I love how one can use science to try to logify everything. Is it because maybe you are afraid of the truth? That this kind of stuff does happen to real people?
Theprofessor (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-06)
Scary, I would not want that happening to me but, scientificly, it can be explained.

You said that you woke up at 3am, well there is such a thing called a waking dream. It happens when the body and mind are still sleeping, but the eyes are awake. The mind confuses dream vision with real vision, hence people see dark figures. You, on the other hand, did not claim to have seen anything. Well your body is still asleep and can make it feel like you are paralysed, this sounds farfectched but it can happen.
Tasting blood can also happen, if your throat is dry and you start screaming, air hitting a dry throat does taste like blood. With every terrifying moment you may start to sweat, your friend's hand may have also been sweaty, hence when she touched your face and felt blood, it could have been confused with sweat. Especially since when you turned the light on, you found no blood. Panicing can cause the mind to see and bleive many things. This is an explaniation of what could have happened.
As for the dog, it simply likes to lay at that spot, my dog at home lays in fornt of the closet door, not because it sees a ghost inside, just simply likes the spot.

Scary story but it can be explained.

Your Friend,
Theprofessor 😊
shawnxmonkey (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-06)
I left one thing out but wasn't really relevant to the story

Shortly after the phone to our room rung. Apparently a friend we met on the trip about 2 rooms over heard us screaming.

They were checking up on us to see if we were ok.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-05)
Odd that the dog didn't react. It must have heard the commotion going on in the room. If nothing else it should have been on alert just to noise. I could say the power of suggestion is what happened to you. You knew you were in a haunted location, you were sleeping in a strange room, well you get the drift. Next time get some evidence. You sound like you want a second round with this castle so good hunting.
looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-05)
wow! Very powerfull and scary indeed! I have to agree with you by not telling the stuff... Since is a very old castle and they probably hear this kinds of stories all the time I really doubt that they would of giving you your money back maybe free stuff or something 😕. I hope you're ok and if you do decide to back try an investigation... Bring a video camara and leave it on while you sleep or try to catch an EVP with a voice rec. You might find some answers... Either way keep us posted...

Sincerely

Looney ❤
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-05)
Wow, that is really scary. I've heard of spirits that have illusionary powers, such as those of making you taste and feel blood on your face when there really is none. I'm not sure how to classify this spirit. It was definitely very angry for some reason or another...or, it's possible that someone was killed in your room and that it was a risidual haunting that replayed that event when you were unfortunate enough to be in the same position as the victim. I'm really not sure to be honest, and my theory sounds like a stretch, but it's not impossible.

Either way, I'm glad you're safe now! I'm concerned about the role of that dog too... Maybe it was trying to protect you and sensed what was going on inside?

Warmest blessings,

DA
shawnxmonkey (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-05)
The Dog was another thing that concerned me.
I know animals are very perceptive to that kind of thing and they can sense things that we don't have the ability to. He could of been protecting us but been drawn away by something else.
I have wondered what role he played in all this.
From our first encounter with the dog he took to us very well.
Maybe it was as much as something that even happened in that room or that area a long time ago.
shawnxmonkey (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-05)
I think it was a very likely possibility that we angered the spirit.
Right Now I can't much remember anything about the day just the events that night
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-05)
What interests me is the dog.

His behavior seems a bit odd--first pacing the courtyard, then taking up a station outside the door of your room. I just can't figure out his motivation. Was he trying to warn you? Protect you? Or was he "in" on the attack in some way?

As usual, I have bazillion questions but not a solitary answer...
KurLz (30 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-05)
I second that, I hope you got your money back too. It is possible you angered the spirit, what other details from the day can you recall?
shawnxmonkey (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-05)
I never even thought to tell them. The idea just sounds crazy and they have probably heard similar stories.
Still to date is one of the freakiest things to happen to me.
I really can't wait to go back. I want to see if I can stay in that same room
shadow_witch (65 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-05)
Danngg. That's Freaky. What did the castle staff have to say about it? I hope you got your money back. 😐

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: