You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: It Started Off As A Laugh

Real Ghost Stories

It Started Off As A Laugh

 

This incident occurred in 2001 during my final year at university in London. Myself and a group of friends found ourselves sitting in a student residence kitchen on a Friday night in November with limited funds and little ideas for entertainment. Pondering on our plans for the night a friend of mine started spinning a pound coin, and he suggested that we let fate decide if we should stay in or go out. As fate had decided we would stay in, which was a much welcomed idea from the rest of the group.

So we ordered a pizza got the beers in and got a deck of cards and settled for a game of poker. There were 6 of us in the kitchen and as it happened in the flat, as everyone else in the entire block had gone out. As the night rolled on a friend of mine Zesh initiated a conversation about ghosts and spirits and how he believed that he had seen one in India.

Zesh was a foreign student from India and I had known him for about three years and this was the first time that he had mentioned this to me and the others. In the beginning we took it as a pinch of salt, but Zesh got very serious about the topic and began talking about Ouija boards and how the living could contact the dead.

Zesh had got our attention, and I could sense myself and the others becoming more interested in the subject. As with all groups of friends there is always the skeptic and this was Paul. Paul studied science and his belief in anything was based on logic, evidence and he had a habit of over analyzing everything. I myself was excited by the conversation but I was a bit on edge and some of the stories that Zesh was telling us did make me a bit uneasy.

Paul and Zesh got themselves into a heated debate about Ouija boards and contact with the dead. Paul being the skeptic challenged Zesh to prove his theory on Ouija boards. At this point Zesh responded cautiously by saying "it's too dangerous I'm not doing it".

Paul responded by taunting Zesh as not having the bottle to prove his point. This constant taunting from Paul forced Zesh to accept the challenge. The only problem was that we didn't have an Ouija board. Paul saw this as another attempt by Zesh to bottle out.

But according to Zesh the board itself is just a minor detail anything could be used as an Ouija board. So we used the pizza box and Zesh wrote on the numbers and letters of the alphabet with the yes and no options, and we used a shot glass as the pointer. By the time we had set this up it was getting late and we were getting sober but it was a good laugh. Zesh asked us to light a single candle and switch off all the light with all of us holding each other's hand forming a circle around the table with the makeshift board and candle in the middle

Zesh began the proceedings by asking us to concentrate on the flame in order to gain focus. This was a difficult task as we were constantly bursting out in laughter and it took us a good 20 minutes to get it out of our system and gain focus. It was a strange silence in the kitchen and Zesh called out for the nearest spirit to make contact, Zesh had warned us before we did this that under no circumstances should we break the circle no matter what happens.

We sat there in anticipation of the shot glass to move or some kind of activity but nothing transpired. But as we all looked away from the flame and at each other we heard a slam and a crash. It was the kitchen cupboards slamming and the crockery crashing inside. All the hair on my body stood up at this point and I felt he adrenalin and fear travel from my gut to my throat. Tim, who was on my right hand side, started shaking and he jumped out of his chair and went straight for the lights.

At this point Tim was shouting and swearing, as he was coming to terms with what had happened. We all examined the kitchen cupboards and discovered the door of one of them was hanging by a hinge and one of the Pyrex pots inside smashed.

I asked Paul how he would you justify this incident scientifically and I pointed out the Pyrex pot which was very difficult to smash even if you dropped it from a meter or so. At this point Zesh started mumbling what a mistake we had made and how we were lucky not to get hurt. Paul was very quite during all of this, I think deep down he witnessed what had happened but didn't want to believe it.

This incident which started off as a laugh, but was just the beginning of a very strange month for us. I and the others had other encounters and incidents after the kitchen incident. Zesh believes that the other incidents that occurred were a consequence of us calling the spirit and breaking the circle.

This is my true story of an unexpected incident that happened to 6 normal guys. I hope to post more of our incidents and encounters very soon.

Other hauntings by Quasar

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Quasar, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

CharyWithThePoltergeists (3 stories) (61 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-31)
And that is why you should never use a ouijia board unless you know what you are doing. And even then only if you're in a dire emergency to contact the spirits. I'm glad that no one was hurt and thanks for sharing!
Tre (4 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-04)
Im glad no one was hurt. The ouija board may start off fun, but it is a cursed device which places curses on the users. These curses don't seem no harm, but it attracts demons and evil entities.

Ouija boards are evil and it lies to you. The person you speak to is the person who will be the one to haunt you and causse havoc. Do these experiences keeps happening to you quasar?
princess123 (7 stories) (186 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-04)
Yes, your right KimSouthO

I mean ouija boards may start of fine and you may even think that it is completely safe and fun, well sometimes it can be fun, until you get it more especially if you are playing with idiotic teenage boys, they will do silly things and ask silly questions and that is one reason how you get into trouble with ouija boards. Other times it is just the spirit/ghost, doing it.

!NEVER PLAY WITH AN OUIJA BOARD... EVER!

Princess123 x ❤
Quasar (4 stories) (13 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2008-12-20)
hi guys and thank you for your comments and best wishes, sorry it has taken this long for me to respond. Well to answer some questions regarding this incident. Everything that occured in the kitchen was through observation. I am not an expert on telekenisis, poltergeists or the supernatural in general or nor I profess to know wot was going on. With regards to Paul 'the sceptic' he went very silent after the incident. As I mentioned at the end of my recollection this was just the beginning of the weirdest month me and all the participants of the incident had encountered. I will be publishing other incidents that occured during this month very soon and see what everyone makes of it. My personal feeling and opinion of this incident has left me with a permenant psychological scar. It was as if we unleished a curse apon ourselves as well as as in my opinion bad spirits. That one night of foolishness almost ruined my university and career prospects and also resulted in a breakup with my girlfriend amongst other things. It is as if this incident flipped a switched in my brain and consiousness and ever since I have become more atuned to the supernatural and do feel entites very regularly. As I mentioned earlier a curse was released apon us.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
To prove somebody the ouji board works can be very dangerous. To use one we must know how to. Being a little drunk isn't the best idea. I'm glad nothing happened to all of you. Taunting spirits.well, its a big NO No:) Thanks for sharring. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
ldsgirl2k (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
I caught my daughter and her friends playing one of these make-shift boards in her bedroom one evening and told them to stop playing it. From what I understand you contact more malicious spirits playing this. Cut a long story short, my daughter after some time began to act really strangely. She was always a pain in the rear but she wasn't being a pain, she was being odd. Finally after some serious thinking about what was going on it came to me that it had some connection with the board. Asking her one afternoon if she was experiencing seeing someone no-one else could see, she confirmed that she could. Checking with her friends they told me that she had been seen speaking and fighting with someone they couldn't see. I called in the church in an instant who sorted this out quick smart. When you open the window for these entities, they come rushing in and mess with your life - so yep, I am willing to believe that there is a fall out afterwards.
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-07)
As TwistedWispersNeko says, the subject is controversial.
Opinions are free for the asking.
Just seems that a whole lotta questions are staying unanswered in connection with violent phenomena associated with ouija board events.
If the violent activity occurred regularly within non-occult environments with the same people who do ouija events, for me the case for spontaneous telekinesis would be improved.
Fire_Skull14 (5 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-12-06)
Quijia boards arnt a good idea as they contact energies which are usally bad/negitive, these energies are usally caused by extreem emotion e.g somone being murdered. So not a good idea unless you have somone there with experince, lol 😆
TwistedWispersNeko (3 stories) (90 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-12-06)
I've had friends fight about the same subject. When they decide to break out the board, I break out of the house, cause I don't want to be around when some thing happens. What was Paul's attitude to the supernatural after that?
succubiluv (1 stories) (365 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-12-05)
This is a very realistic account of a very realistic phenomenon.
I'd like to hear what the author thinks was responsible for the broken cabinet door and pot.

Spontaneous telekinesis--a kinetic energy of the mind theorized to randomly act upon objects--has not yet been authentically shown to account for the kind of results cited in this story.
The huge number of ouija board accounts that tell of sudden and random destructive results can not be logically explained as a mental phenomenon that mysteriously associates itself with this one occult device.

If this energy is dormant within the brain of all people, why is it that ouija boards--an occult device known to draw demons--are a major means by which the energy manifests itself? Why does the energy not manifest itself at random through a variety of non-spiritistic devices as frequently as it manifests through the ouija board? And if that's what's happening worldwide, where's the documentation revealing it?
What is it about a ouija board that pulls this unpredictable force from the minds of people who have had no training in telekinesis, no interest in ouija boards up until the first encounter with them, and no record of telekinetic power in their entire lives?

Barring solid, believable answers to these and other questions like them on this subject, the explanation that spontaneous telekinesis is solely responsible for sudden violent manifestations like those described in this story is less than probable.
Tonith (1136 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-12-05)
I really don't know what to make of the ouija board issue. Some say only low level spirits use this form of communication. Seems like automatic handwriting and channeling while in a trance comes from higher leveled spirits. They say people who get into deep meditation experience weird visions. Frankly, I don't know if it's the subconscious feeding information you don't even remember consciously or is it real contact with the netherworld? From my own experience with them I have to say it's us doing it, not some spirit. Now as far as the kitchen incident well maybe one of you has kinetic energy or the combined force of all of your energies went into play and the result was what happened in the kitchen. I know that's a lot of maybe's. Did you release something into your space or was it always there and just decided to make itself known while you were messing with the spirits? Hard to say. I'm sure everyone was spooked and probably remained so for a while so there was enough tension to create other things to happen. I am not belittling your experience and I could be way off base, I'm just looking at it from a different perspective.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-12-05)
Hello, and thank you for sharing your story. I'll say this much though... I don't think any manner of goading would cause me to try and contact a spirit unless I felt prepared within myself to do it. That's usually when the bad ones prey on people--when they're afraid.

Warmest blessings,

DA
jmcgill (17 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-05)
Here is also a Prayer of Protection.

The Light of God surrounds me;
The Love of God enfolds me;
The Power of God protects me;
The Presence of God watches over me;
Wherever I am, God is and all is in Divine Order.

jmcgill (17 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-12-05)
Even though a Ouijia boad is sold as a game it is a very dangerous one. When you release and entity it MUST be sent back from whense it came.

Please, Please do not let anyone use this type of game again as you do NOT know what you are dealing with until it is too late.

Thank God you are all save. ❤
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-12-05)
Quasar--Seems no one has been hurt--yet. If you caused a wound in the atmosphere where the violent spirit came through, and since you apparently did not send the spirit back before closing the wound, then something may indeed be still around, biding its time... Perhaps you might get the group together and close the session properly. Others on this site can tell you how this is done. I know only this much from knowledge gained here.
Best of luck, and I mean the BEST.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-12-05)
Just another example of how using an Ouijia board can back fire.

I am glad no one was hurt.

God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: