You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Tales From The Home Place: The Old Dining Room

Real Ghost Stories

Tales From The Home Place: The Old Dining Room

 

If I was asked which room of the old home place was the most haunted, without question it would be the old dining room. Although strange and inexplicable things happened in other areas of the house, they didn't leave you with the icy feelings you got from the old dining room. I have already told of one incident; I will now relate the rest of what I remember.

My personal experiences with the room are few because that part of the house was torn down when I was eight or nine years old. I do remember that we younger kids were terrified to even walk past the doorway -WE RAN. We wouldn't go into the dining room unless Mom or Dad was in the kitchen. As a matter of fact, the old dining room was where they would hide our Christmas presents- they knew we wouldn't snoop in there.

I remember the room stayed so cold that we used it as a refrigerator. One day Mom made some Jell-O and put it on the table in the dining room to "set-up". After supper was over, she went to get the Jell-O for dessert and discovered a man's handprint in it- like someone had stood with their hand in it and waited for it to gel, leaving a print. Another time Mom had baked a pie and set it on the dining room table to cool and when she went to put it on the table (I need to point out that we didn't eat in the dining room, we ate in the kitchen) it had been mutilated. It looked like someone took their hands and stirred it around and around.

We didn't use the dining room to eat in; we used it as a refrigerator, storage room and as an extra bedroom. There was many a time that we would be sitting in the kitchen or living room and all hell would break loose in the dining room. It would sound like someone was trying to trash the place. After a few minutes things would get quiet and when you checked the room, it would be a mess - empty honey cans thrown about the room and a lot of stuff that had been put away, strewn about the room.

I can recall how the door would lock by itself. It had an old-fashioned turn type lock; all this consisted of was a short 2x2 piece of wood with a nail in the center- like the latches on an outhouse. I would imagine that the only reason for putting a latch on the door was because it was also used as a bedroom- some measure of privacy while changing clothes. At times when Mom was busy cooking she would send one of us kids to the dining room to fetch something for her. We would go to get it and the door would be locked, she would tell us to just wait a few minutes and go back- we would and when we went back the door would open, easy as pie.

A story my Mom use to tell us about the dining room involved her Dad spending the night, or should I say trying to. This happened in the late thirties or early forties, after Grandma died but before he remarried. My Grandpa [the same one that lived in Prudential] had been out squirrel hunting one evening, having killed him a few decided to go by Mom's and have her cook them for him. She fixed them and added them to what she already had fixed and they all sat down and had supper.

After supper they sat and talked, before they realized, it got dark. Since Grandpa didn't have a light with him, Mom talked him into spending the night. He could sleep in the old dining room. They all got settled in, said their goodnights and blew out the coal oil lamp and proceeded to go to sleep. About a half hour or so later Grandpa hollered at Mom and told her to please come and get the dog out from under his bed. He told her he couldn't sleep with it moaning and bumping around under his bed.

Dad got up, lit the lamp and went to check, while assuring Grandpa that there shouldn't be a dog in the house. They searched high and low and no dog was ever found. Grandpa refused to go back to bed, instead of spending the night; he got his shotgun and walked home in the dark. I reckon he told them that he would rather take his chances walking home in the dark than to spend the night with whatever it was in that room.

This is about all I can remember about the old dining room. I often think about it and wonder what it was that haunted it- I guess we'll never know for sure.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, FRAWIN, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-05)
Hi. I just wanted to let you know that I haven't been on here because on December 24th at 2am I woke up paralyzed from my abdomen down to my toes. Five days prior to ths happening I had developed this horrible cramp in my back. I went by ambulance to the hospital and had to have emergency back surgery. I was in the hospital for nearly a month. About a two weeks after the surgery they transferred me to another hospital who is well known for their wonderful physical therapy. I had to learn to walk again. I came home with a walker but have now graduated to a cane. Yay! I am walking again thank the God but it is taking time to get back to normal. I have in home nurses that come about once a week and a physical therapist that comes three times a week. I am getting better and will be back on here as soon and as much as I can. I just wanted to let you know that I DID NOT disappear again. I hope everything is going well with you and Mrs. FRAWIN.

I copied this from the comment I left Buffy so I wouldn't have to type this all over again. 😊

SHELBY
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-11)
Hello Chris. Thanks for the kind words and I'm happy you enjoy reading my stories. I truly appreciate the insights and opinions of all my FRIENDS on this site, each one brings something different to "the table" and each view helps me better understand what happened. Thank you all.
Ad for growing up in a "haunted house", yes at times it was frightening but I wouldn't trade the experience for a million bucks. Times were hard and sometimes scary but we had the love and support of each other to carry us through.
I still have a few experiences/stories to tell when I get time to write them. Take care old friend and we'll talk again.

FRAWIN 😊
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-11)
I am addicted, too, Chris. None of these stories are flamboyant, nothing truly "spectacular" happens... They are just REALLY believable!

That IS interesting, FRAWIN. I should say that points to a STRONG protector within the Home! Which means... "DO NOT mess with me Babies..."
Thank you.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-11)
Franky my man 😁.I just had to light up a smoke (I know I should quit) before reading this story! When I see that you have another story for us I'm happy like a chhild. This story was amazing! I couldn't imagine all the terror and fear all of you felt living in that home. It sure was a scary experience. And the hand print in the Jello! Way too much for me. Well that home is gone but the memory remains. Times were tough back then but its nice to go back in time. I'm realy happy that you reminded your self of the haunts you have had there. As you grew up you learned that nothing could scare you more then that house! I and other memebers here are very interested in spirits but to be honest with you my friend I wouldn't live there if you gave me a million bucks! Just Crazy! I woulkd be mentally sick after living there for so many years! Proves how strong you are my friend. But I'm glad that the only spirits who visit you are the ones who don't bring fear into people. Thanks again for another chapter of life in Prudential! I'm looking forward to reading other chapters of your encounters 😁.Not that I'm being pushy πŸ˜†.I hope to hear from you soon and take care
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-11)
Hello Autumn. The family has no idea who banned it from the rest of the house or if it was in fact banned. I have often tried to figure out why it basically went to sleep AFTER the remodeling- I have yet to figure it out. Take care old friend and we'll talk again.

FRAWIN πŸ˜‰ 😊 ❀
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-11)
Hello DeviousAngel. No harm no foul- everyone slips every now and then[ I didn't laugh at you too much]. Like I was just telling Hank, Mom wouldn't too happy about the pie. Thanks for reading and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-11)
Hello Hank. The best that I can remember she got more upset over the pie than she did the jello. She was fascinated by the handprint because the only man in the house was Dad and he wasn't home until late in the evening- the pie she wasn't sure if it was "the spook" or one of the bigger kids into meanness- us younger kids were homefree because we were too scared to even go in the room by ourselves.

FRAWIN 😊
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
Hello Shelby. Thanks for the comment and I don't mind the questions at all. All the things I've written about here happened in the old dining room before we rebuilt- after we rebuilt it quieted down considerably. We think where the house sits now use to be a farm field and we don't know who built the house originally but we estimate that it was built around 1875. There were two possibly three other houses either on the place or very close, we have no idea who lived in them as we have only found the foundations where they once stood. I am afraid that we will never know the complete history of the place but it sure would have been nice to know.
Take care old friend and God bless.

FRAWIN 😊 ❀ 😊
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
Hello Tammy. I am so glad you liked the story and I hope it lived up to your expectations. You have made some very good reasoning here that will require some serious pondering. I need to point out that this was the old dining room, not the new dining room we added on. After we tore the old dining room and kitchen down and built back -whatever it was retreated to a closet in one of the bedrooms that was built where the old dining room once stood. So it couldn't have been upset with the changes, as a matter of fact when changes was made-it quieted down. I really don't know what it was, I'm just glad it's in a dormant state right now.
You have given me some interesting insights and for that I'm thankful.
Take care my friend and God bless.

FRAWIN 😊 ❀ 😊
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
Oh my goodness! πŸ˜† I'm sorry! I don't know how I mixed that one up... I hope ya'll got a good laugh out of my ditziness...

FRAWIN, thank you for sharing YOUR story with us! That comment was meant for you!

Warmest blessings,

DA
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
DeviousAngel, I appreciate the compliment, but FRAWIN is the author of this and many other amazing experiences. 😊
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
Kecoughten--somehow I missed your story! I just read it now and I must say, it sounds like your family was experiencing quite its share of paranormal activity! That whole handprint in the jell-o and ruined pie thing... If I were your mother, I'd be very upset! Spirit or not, no one gets away with ruining my pie! πŸ˜†

I'm glad you're all okay.:)

Warmest blessings,

DA
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
You know how I work, so πŸ˜‰, I will not bother writing that I have not read through the other comments. πŸ˜† HA!
For me, the most astounding thing about this room is... The door.
Race and I were sitting around talking a bit, after that story where you explained to him that the door locked from the INSIDE. You left NO QUESTION that there HAD to be something WITHIN the room to flip the lock. There was NO PART of the lock on the OUTSIDE, only within.

**Big, deep breath**

BOTH of us want to know something... WHO banned this being out of the rest of the home? And WHY is it...uh... Unchanged (?) since the remodeling? USUALLY that would AMPLIFY the experiences, not "muffle" them.
At least, that is what MOST accounts would seem to imply.
Any thoughts on that?
Thank you!
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
Thanks for the details about the dining room, FRAWIN. Your Home Place reminds me a bit of my great uncle's house. Built about the same time as your's, he and his wife ate in the kitchen and used the dining room for storage and an informal parlor. As a kid I could not comprehend why every room on the first floor had it's own exterior door, but country homes were like that sometimes. What did you mother think about losing the pie or the hand print in the jello?
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
My goodness! That dining room is freaky. I think this would have driven me crazy if I were your mom or anyone living in that house for that matter. I wonder why it was mainly contained in that room. I really can't remember if you had mentioned this before, but, did anything happen before the dining room was torn down and rebuilt? I wonder what was on the land before the house was built there. Who built the house? Was it the only home that was ever there? Do you know what was there before? Sorry about all of the questions but I am really curious and like I said, I do not remember if these questions were asked/answered in your past stories. I didn't have time to read your comments on this story either.

SHELBY ❀ 😊
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
I'm off my chair cheering and clapping..."Yes, you've done it-you came back with more!" Oh, I'm SO excited!

Now to the story...I'm wondering about this door locking by itself. I mean yes, if you add everything together, you definitely have a "very disturbed" older resident... A past owner trashing things around and messing with your mother's gelo and pie in an attempt to communicate their "distress" about the new "tenants" but this door locking by itself feels more than just an attempt to keep you out of that room.

I mean yes, that was the old bedroom as you said and very likely that was the only place the energy could retreat for some privacy so having "strangers" like your grandfather invading it for the night or you kids running in and out was very upsetting to the resident spirits but then again had I been a ghost, had I wanted to scare you off I would have gladly have you enter the room and then trash the place around. Or like in the case of your mom's pie and jelo, I would have messed them up to "build up" the tension, so why I would then lock the door at times... If the best way to keep you out of my space was to scare the living day lights out of you? Would I want you out of my bedroom or better, out of my house?

I'm thinking this is probably related to the other two doors in the house that your family had decided not to use. I mean if I tried to coexist in the space I used to know so well and every time I tried going through one of my doors, I fell onto a bookshelf or a locked door,I'd be trying to "pay them back" the same way.

So I'm beginning to think that whatever was there did not necessarily want you out of the house but was agitated by the changes made to the place. What do you think FRAWIN?
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-09)
Hello Kecoughtan. I'm happy that you enjoyed the story. I'm sorry it took such a long time to get it written. I don't mind the questions at all. I will do my best to describe the old house. The old house was all wood built on a rock foundation- basically a bunch of big rocks laid out in a rectangle with a house sitting on them. The dining room was roughly 10 to 12 foot wide and between 20 to 25 foot long. It had three doors going into it but we used only one. The door from the living room to the dining room was sealed shut and the doorway was turned into a bookshelf. It had another door on the far wall going to the outside but this door was kept shut too. The door we used was between the dining room and the kitchen, if you wanted to go in the dining room you had to go through the kitchen to get there. As far as I know the house was built about 1875 and consisted of living room, small bedroom off of the living room, dining room,kitchen, an attic type upstairs and a front and back porch. The actual psychical "violent room rearrangements" happened only in the dining room- to the best of my knowledge.
I almost forgot, the kitchen was roughly the same size of the dining room and they sat side by side each other.
If you have anymore questions Hank -feel free to ask. Take Care

FRAWIN 😊
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-08)
Hi Kim. Thanks for reading, I'm glad you enjoyed it-hopefully as much as I enjoy reading yours. You are mighty right I was happy when we tore that room down. I didn't miss it a bit. No, Mom and Dad was never reluctant or scared of anything that happened, at least they didn't show it if they were. Take Care and God Bless you my friend.

FRAWIN 😊 ❀
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-08)
Hi dreamergal72. Thank you for your comment. I know exactly how your Grandparents feel, even though there is "something else" there it is still their home. Even with all that I experienced while living there- it still feels like home when I go back. Take Care.

FRAWIN 😊
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-08)
WOw Sound spooky, Glad to read your story and Which remind me of MY Grandparent's house is very very old and yes in dede she still live there and refuse to move. I know that we are not alone and its make like vabribe feeling.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-08)
Frawin,
I have read your other stories, my goodness!

I bet you were glad when that room was removed from the home?

Were your parents also reluctant to enter this room?

God Bless!
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-08)
Woo-hoo, another DEE-lightful story, FRAWIN! Thank you for taking the time to write it for up those of us who have clamored for more. Pardon me if you have covered this previously, but can you provide some architectural details about the infamous dining room: Was there just one door to it? Was it an older portion of the house? How was the kitchen positioned in relation to the dining room? By the way, I love your mother's carefree, matter-of-fact attitude about the door being locked. Were you ever able to explain what went on in there? Did you experience those violent rooom rearrangements in any other portion of the house? Sorry that's a lot of questions. Good stories generate a lot of questions. Thanks!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: