You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: My Family Attracts Something Everwhere We Go

Real Ghost Stories

My Family Attracts Something Everwhere We Go

 

I come from a Christian family who believes that there can be supernatural occurrences in this world which cannot always be explained. That said, growing up I had a few experiences with possible "ghosts" but I was probably just being a kid, easily spooked. My husband has told me of experiences he had as a child, one in particular when he believed he woke up to his deceased great-grandmother, who never liked males, choking him in his bed while he was visiting his grandparent's house.

His great-grandmother had lived with them until she passed away, and my husband had slept in the guest bedroom which was the room that she died in. He said he woke up and saw her hovering over him, her arms outstretched, and he wanted to scream but no sound could come out. After that, he would occasionally smell the unique sent of her perfume in odd places.

When my husband and I moved in together about 6 years ago while we were living in San Diego that is when strange occurrences began happening to us A LOT. During our first "real" fight i.e. Argument, our HUGE living room window suddenly burst out, the entire thing shattered. We could never find an explanation. A week later, our water heater literally exploded, flooding our entire apartment. We moved out shortly thereafter.

In our next apartment, which was newer and nicer and in a better neighborhood, we adopted a cocker spaniel puppy. We always had a strange feeling in the master bedroom, and it didn't help anything once our otherwise VERY friendly dog started waking up at night and growling and snarling at the corner of the room almost every night.

These types of things have happened to us everywhere we go, and we have lived in 5 places now. The scariest thing was in our bedroom of our house in Temecula, CA, when my husband and I were both drifting to sleep and suddenly we heard an extremely violent "BAM! BAM! BAM!" on the footboard of our sleigh bed. I looked at my husband and said, "Honey, what the hell?" thinking he'd done that, and he just looked at me with his eyes wide open, so pale.

In the same house, one evening I went out to do some shopping and when I returned home my husband was awake and looked really fearful. He told me that our young daughter had been sitting on the floor of the living room, looking up the stairwell saying, "Hi Mama! Hi Mama," while waving and looking up the stairs. Occasionally, our cocker spaniel would stare and growl up the stairs in that same location, her hair standing on end.

A couple months later, in the same house, I sat on the couch during my child's nap time watching a television show eating lunch. The way our front porch and door is situated, I can see anyone who walks up to the door through a narrow window. The door bell rang twice, rapidly, and I got up quickly to check who it was, and there was no one there. Scared but determined to find an explanation, I ran down the walkway hoping to find someone walking or driving away, but there was no one around at all.

The next house we lived in was in Oceanside, CA. It was a duplex with a shared laundry room. This house had the least amount of strange activity, though there was activity nonetheless. The first incident was when my husband went into the laundry room for me to switch over a load, and he swears he saw 2 large men in the room out of the corner of his eye. They were so vivid and real, he said, that he was about to apologize for interrupting when he looked up and there was nothing there.

A month or so later, we began to have arguments with our neighbors that shared the other side of the house. They would play their music loudly; take up our parking spot, and leave the laundry room a disaster. A few nights after a heated argument with the woman of the house, we had an incident where we thought we heard something in the den, but when we checked there was nothing wrong and no one was in our yard.

The very next morning though, something very disturbing had occurred. When my husband went outside the next morning, he discovered that a cashier's check for our neighbor's rent was in our lawn, no where near anywhere that they would walk, had they for some reason been in our yard. We thought the neighbors would accuse us, so we gave the check to the landlord and told them what had happened, and never heard anything about it ever since.

Next house. Still in Oceanside, but this time it was a brand new house. We figured nothing strange would happen there. Shortly after we moved in though, we started to get a very eerie feeling right at the bottom of the stairs, next to the kitchen. Sometimes out of the corner of my eye I would see a very dark "something" at the ceiling in that spot. My husband would occasionally think he saw our daughter standing on the stairs but when he'd look nothing would be there.

One day, while polishing our dining table next to the kitchen, something hit the side of my knee. It was like something was thrown at me. The dog was sleeping on the couch in the other room, and my daughter and husband were not at home. I looked over, and there was a little toy on the ground which I realize was the object that had hit me. It was one of the instruments that doctors use to check reflexes! It definitely freaked me out, but I didn't feel "afraid".

Now we just recently moved to Salem, Oregon. We rented a house sight-unseen because we didn't have a chance to come up before moving out here. We found a great house, built in the 50's, which is just perfect for us. However, we found out that this house belonged to the mother of the owner who just recently passed away. I really like this house so I've been trying not to dwell on that fact, and I don't know whether she died in this house or not. I don't want to know.

All I know is that creepy stuff is happening to us again. The hallway here gives both my husband and I the chills, and we always see shadows out of the corner of our eye in the hallway. But things are actually physically happening and I'm at my wit's end! The thermostat here is one of the ones where you actually have to manually adjust the heat, not digital. Since it's getting cold here, at night we set the thermostat at around 70 or 72 degrees before bed. However, almost every night for a month, we start getting extremely hot at night so we get up to find out why, and like clockwork, the manual thermostat has been changed to between 80-85 degrees! The wood floors are very creaky so no one is getting out of bed doing this, we would hear it.

Today, we were sitting down watching cartoons and all of a sudden I heard a click and a motor start running, and it startled me so much at first I didn't realize what it was. I got up, went into the kitchen, and realized that the dishwasher, half full and not yet ready to run, had turned on by itself! I just found out that I'm pregnant again and haven't been feeling well in the last few weeks, so I'm thinking that *maybe* the ghost of the woman thinks she's "helping" me by turning on the heater when she thinks it's too cold at night, and turning on the dishes for me.

I don't know... I know I might sound crazy, but it's getting to the point where this stuff is normal to us. I don't feel in danger here, but at times I have this heightened sense of awareness like someone else is here. My dog has also started growling out our bedroom door at night into the hallway, and one night, the ONLY night I've actually felt afraid, she growled and followed her eyes at "something" from out in the hall to the nightstand next to my bed. The entire time she was standing up, hair standing on end. She stood staring near the nightstand, and finally she stopped growling and lay down, but watched that spot for another hour or so into the night.

I don't know what's going on, but my husband and I have thought for years that possibly one or both of us are "sensitive" to spirits and that they are either following us or we just sense different ones in each place we live. We've also noticed a pattern that if my husband and I get to arguing or if we get in a fight, that is when the happenings occur more often.

We have a healthy, loving relationship, and really don't fight that often, but when we do, that's when it starts up. Sorry if my writing was a bit jumbled, I just started writing and didn't really format it well. Any advice, suggestions, or thoughts (no negative, please!) would be appreciated. Thank you!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jenna5689, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

markminer (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-13)
You can call on us if you have any questions, we will always be there to help you understand life after life. West Coast Paranormal Squad...541-791-7425
jmcgill (17 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-16)
Hi and thank you for your story. I hope things settle down for you a bit. Check out the web site Earth Release Spiritual Growth. It has many protection prayers, house clensing, Protection bubble to place around yourself and husband. Maybe see a psychic and see what you can find out about yourself and the house. Can't hurt.

Good luck and Clense your house.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-15)
Hi and thank you for sharring this story with us. I have to agree with Tonith on this one. I to believe that the both of you maybe sencitives. Thank you for sharring this very interesting story with us. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Mick (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-14)
Sounds like you are bringing-on poltergeist activities. If this follows you then you probably are subconsciously bringing these out. Anger will bring out negative activity in the space. I suggest you try to keep the peace and your home will reflect that.
Beyondead12 (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-13)
Well, it sounds like you have a real problem. If you would actually try an excorcism that may help or hurt you. The spirit may just become angrier, but it may get rid of this following spirit. Maybe you have a person in your life who died, but wants to settle something with you. Or maybe your husband had a girlfriend who is jealous? Please keep us updated!
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-11)
Yes, I would agree you and your husband may be sensitive. Maybe because of being sensitive when you get angry you yourselves are causing some of the natural incidences. The other things happening may be your sensitivity to spirits in general. Seems like your daughter may also be sensitive and it runs in the family. Congrats on the new baby but it does tend to make one's hormones crazy (emotionally) so I hope you don't have increased activity while pregnant. Keep us posted and take care.
KurLz (30 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-11)
I'm in complete agreement with DeviousAngel on all that was said. I honestly don't think you have anything to be afraid of. It definately sounds very much like you may have a family guardian, I KNOW I have one, remember they are always trying to help.

Have you every tried to communicate with the spirits in anyway, something as simple as just talking to them? You may be surprised at what good can come from just saying "hi" from time to time.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-10)
Hello Jenna5689, and welcome to YGS! Firstly, I'd like to congratulate you on your pregnancy. You seem to be a very intelligent woman, and there's nothing at all wrong with your writing.

It definitely sounds like you and your husband are both sensitive to spiritual presences and energies. Did you have a mutual friend or relative who passed away? Another theory is that it is perhaps your family's guardian spirit. Sometimes that presence can be uncomfortable, but the way you explained things DOES seem like this spirit is interested in your well-being. It sounds like it enjoys being noticed and tries to do little things here and there for you, even if it doesn't quite do them correctly.

Either way, I'm going to say that there's no reason to be afraid of whatever this is, though it only sounds like you're a bit spooked anyway. The best advice I can give to anyone experiencing these things is to talk out loud to this spirit whenever you feel it near you or something strange happens. Remember that this spirit was probably once a person too, so even if it feels a bit wacky, an occasional greeting or reminding them of a house rule (such as "we go to bed at -time- so please don't make any noise after then!") will probably ease the situation a little.

If you ever feel that you're in danger, the best thing to do is take a stand and don't show your fear. As you said you are a Christian, use your faith as your defense. People who have strong convictions in their religions often gain strength from it, which you can use as a tool against fear and panic. It sounds like you've done great so far! I like to talk, as you can see, so if you ever want someone to chat with about this, please feel free to email me. My address is in my profile.

Warmest blessings,

DA

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: