You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Non Human Entities :: Possessed Iraqi

Real Ghost Stories

Possessed Iraqi

 

I served in the United States Army in the Infantry with the 101st Airborne. While I was in active duty I was deployed to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. My unit spent most of our time in Mosul Iraq in the northern part of the country.

Mosul is a very old city, there are sections where you would find holes in the street and if you looked down into them you could see where city had been built upon older cities.

During the time of this occurrence (June 2003) we had just dealt with a riot by the local Iraqi people who were upset at the corrupt local police. So to help rectify the problem we fired or arrested the majority of the police. This meant to keep the police stations in the city secure we had to then provide security and twenty four hour guard on them.

My squad had been tasked with a twelve hour night time rotation at a certain police station. The station was a three story building in a very cramped and tightly condensed area of the city. The street in front of the station was only about a car and half wide. And directly across the street was a Mosque with at least ten foot walls. There were roads on either side of the Mosque intersecting into the road in front of the station.

My self and two other guys from my squad were sitting on the balcony of the second floor of the station pulling security on our shift. It was sometime in the night, if I had to guess I would say it was sometime around 0230. While on guard we would use the lights on our rifles to illuminate any car that drove by so we could see if there were any sort of weapons in the vehicle and stuff like that. We heard a car driving towards us from one of the side road on the Mosque, so we got ready with our lights to illuminate the car when it came into view.

Once we saw the car we shined our lights into the vehicle directing the light towards the driver. The drive had a typical reaction to the surefire light (which is blindingly intense) by squinting his eyes and attempting to look away from the light. The passenger had a much different reaction. His eyes seemed to glow with intensity by the light. He stared right back at the light almost looking through it and at us, it was very eerie. At the time the best we could describe his eyes were that of a cat in the dark with a flashlight shined in its face.

I have never heard of a person's eye's being able to reflect light like that before or anything you could purchase to do such things, especially in a second or third world country.

Well after I got back to the United States the movie "The exorcism of Emily Rose" came out. So my then girlfriend, now wife and I went to see the movie. I now describe the mans eye's as looking exactly like Emily's did in the barn when the she named off all the Demons which possessed her. I am completely convinced what I saw that night in Iraq was demonic or an individual who was possessed.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, groundpounder, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-16)
Waterhammer - I read your comment, but am not sure if you were trying to make a point or prove your point. Regardless, I do believe there are countless people, worldwide, who thrive on attention; not just Americans. Just as I believe there are people, worldwide, who do not seek attention.
Waterhammer (12 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-15)
Apologies, was quite certain nobody would read my comment on such an old post. Will refrain from such frankness in the future, so therefore, full explaination of those two words will follow after my reaffirmation of my debunk:

Retinas still reflect light, that's a fact, its easiest to see in night vision too. All our eyes glow if hit with a light, if that fact is unpopular, that's okay.

Now, to explain my comment "especially Americans", I will not speak frankly, but directly. Apologies again if this offends you but statistically there are more hoaxes within individualistic cultures, the United States is currently the guiding light of Western indivdualism which is why my disparaging unfortunate statement focuesd on our nation. As an American empirically and objectively researching this topic, I have run into a plethora of false claims regarding people who say God talks to them. Most seem to use this "ability" to set themselves apart, to stand out, ultimately in psychological response to a subconscious need for attention. This subconscious need for attention is within all people from across the world, I have this, so do you ma'am. However in United States, we are bombarded by societal factors hitting us from every angle that amplify this effect in the subconscious because of how it is used to advertise products. Watch any American series of commercials, and it is catered to amplifying our pre-existing need for recognition. "Buy this phone and you'll be an Emoji character! Buy this car and be yourself! Use our credit card because our reps aren't just robots, they are you! Buy this computer and you'll be able to draw more followers to your twitter/instagram/etc!" The adds don't directly say this, but the images and subliminal techniques that you don't notice, do.
This constant bombardment occurs where there is an over exposure to technology (Movies, TV, FB, Instagram, Snapchat, advertisements at large etc) which is highly excessive in Western culture with the highest volume of this exposure being in the United States due to the buying power of our citizens. These societal/economic factors put enormous pressure on an individual and can cause many of the psychological ailments that plague the US more than many other countries. This explains the high volume of hoaxes, and most of the time it is those psychological ailments that can be attributed to the voices (i.e. God).
Unfortunately the sheer volume of false claims that stem from these factors make it nearly impossible to figure out who's honest, who's looking for recognition, and who's really hearing things but would rather believe it is God/Demons/Ghosts than acknowledge the psychological condition. Hence, "especially Americans"...
Individualism sells because it is popular, I'm not looking for popularity, I'm looking for empirical truth to try to solve the mysteries of the unknown. I could care less about how people feel, but I'm writing this because I care deeply about empirical processes and realize I did them a deep injustice by speaking so "frankly" as you so duly noted.
The frustration I conveyed may be unpopular among people in general, I am more than okay with that, but to acknowledge this factor is neccessary when addressing such claims in order to be as objective as possible when analyzing the paranormal in any substinative way.
Empiricism, regardless of its popularity on this site, is still the only way to gather substinative evidence if one truly wants to uncover any answers to the mysteries of the unknown.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-15)
Waterhammer - "...especially attention hungry Americans"? I realize you just registered as a member yesterday, and I know you've been already been warned by another Mod about your "frankness".

Just because the original author may not see your comment doesn't mean others won't. This American Mod found your statement to be rather rude. You'll get along with members of this site a lot better if you try not to be deliberately offensive.
Waterhammer (12 posts)
-3
6 years ago (2018-04-15)
To all those you read this: Great story but some eyes are more prone to reflect light due to the angle which light reflects off the retina. If you have a few buddies around, have them stand out on your lawn at night, shine them with a spot light and instruct them to stare directly (I mean DIRECTLY) at the light, you will see their eyes shine the same exact way the Iraqi man's did because their retinas are fixed at the light, the retina (just like an animal's) will reflect the light back at you causing the effect witnessed.
To the author (if he ever reads this at all 7 years after). Most people don't stare directly in this light because of the natural reaction you cited, but if the man was suffering from mental illness it is likely he would be fascinated and stimulated by this sudden illumination causing him to stare directly into it. Also, if the man was a budding insurgent and HATED you for your presence in his country he would stare directly at your light as a fervent attempt to sum you up which again would cause his retinas to focus on your light causing this reflective effect. More evidence is clearly needed to be sure this was a paranormal event of any kind.
To the girl who commented before me (who will also never read this), God is all knowing, powerful, alpha and the omega, believe in him. But be wary of anyone who says God talks to them, especially attention hungry Americans. I'd say its more likely she's hearing from a spirit attached to her (hopefully not a demon mimicking God to possess her/you), and even more likely she needs psych evaluation + medication for classic schizophrenia.
quixoticqt (5 stories) (104 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-30)
Thank you for putting your life on the line and sorry that you had to go to Iraq.
It could have been a demon. Demon's and Angels can form into human like figures.
I only say this because you had an eerie feeling.
My mother saw one at church one day but it had black eyes. It was a busy night and she went up to it and asked, "whats your name? Where you from? Why are you here?" and it disappeared.
My mom talks to God and she said that God said that it was a demon entity.

Qt
She138 (13 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-10)
First and foremost, thank you, Groundpounder, for putting your life on the line for our freedoms. The second thing, I mean to upset or offend no one. However, it bugs me that this person posted an experience of the paranormal type. And everyone jumps on him for a practically nonexistant OPSEC violation. Are you all his commanding officers?
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-01-28)
Sammid- as a Joe myself, I can say that the original post pushed the bounds of OPSEC. Regardless of year, we still have/had troops in theater and specifically in that area. Even without specifying which IP checkpoint it was, anyone familiar with the area would know exactly where that was. It's not full blown OPSEC violation, but it does push the envelope. He gave a time frame for these events (circa 2003), the unit he was in, his job, specific city location, how many persons were in his firing section (giving away unit SOPs). So tell me again it's not an OPSEC violation.

ANYWAYS, I think D A has a point about the blind theory. I don't know anyone who hasn't turned away from a Surefire, or at least squinted. Yes, it could have been paranormal. And believe me, I've seen enough freaky stuff during my year over there to know ESPECIALLY a place like that has things not at all right.

I can't say one way or the other, I just wish I could have been there to see it myself. What was the passenger wearing? Normal Iraqi garb? Or was he all decked out in white? The style of clothing may lend an idea as to intent of both driver and passenger.

-Smoke
sammid71 (1 stories) (12 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-04-16)
I know this is an old post, but I wanted to state that he said it happened in 2003, and he posted this in 2008. Which in regards to OPSEC is no violation. OPSEC is to protect our Current movements in warzones, not where we were long ago. So Groundpounder you are good to go, Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your service. I come from a long line of Military and thankful each day that there are men and women like you fighting for people like me. God Bless ❤
RSeal (1 stories) (14 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-10-10)
Hey, Ground Pounder. Hope your back home now. I'm enjoying the Baghdad Fall weather. Human eyes do reflect light and in different ways according to the type of light. That's why you get "Red Eye" in pictures. Why this guy didn't turn away is a good question. If he wasn't blind before, he's probably close now.

As far as the OSPEC, don't worry about it folks. What he described was about half of the smaller police stations and Mosques in Iraq. Have a great day.
Kirsten_pax09 (10 stories) (72 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-23)
That is the old country, the holy lands. And there are many old testament Devils still walking amongst the living in disguise. You may have been looking at a "real Devil" disguising himself. Have you ever seen the movie: Queen of the Damned? In that movie they depicts Vampires also possessing reflective eyes when light hits them in just the right way. And vampires are demonic also. This guy may not be a human at all. 😐
KatieChan (3 stories) (63 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-31)
Wow! That must have been creepy! I would be running home once he looked at me! 😭
flamewithin (57 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-30)
that explains alot, just look at what was going on over their mass graves family turning family in to only be killed by hussein and his sons public beatings deafenetly has demons and satan work all over that country.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-25)
While this was an interesting story, I am thinking it was probably just that the light reflected weirdly. Perhaps he had cataracs or something like that.
ico (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-07)
I'm not saying I don't believe your story but I have seen peoples eyes reflect light at the right angle. So it's not impossible.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-17)
While I have cats and their eyes do reflect light, I have never seen it happen in a human. What Devious Angel said about someone being blind makes sense to me but again I have never heard of that about the blind so I can't say. I do intend to look it up though. I don't know if what you saw was paranormal or physical but in a situation that intense weird things can happen. Thankyou for serving our country. God bless.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-17)
ghostseer, I didn't say he was breaking rules by telling the story. I'm saying that some of the details provided, including the detailed description of the location where he was performing guard duty, is a possible violation of OPSEC (operational security). I have asked military personnel about this subjectively and without providing particular details as to who, where, why as far as the story goes and received confirmation that certain elements are against OPSEC.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but I have respect for our military laws and I don't want anyone to get in trouble, especially not someone who has served our country dutifully.

Warmest regards,

Lynn
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-17)
Groundpounder: As a part of "Soldiers Angels" Group, I thank you from my heart. Your service to our country is so appreciated. As for your experience, you need to remember, you were in a war torn country. Hatred builds on hatred, and from what I understand, where there is hatred and violence, there is a dark negativity. Within the dark negativity-comes a breeding ground for possession. What a better place to take over an Individual, who is filled with hate, but in a war torn place like Iraq?! Sounds like easy pickings for Demonic entities to me... My Brothers have entertained the troops for 9 years (ASKA), and I have been involved with the Soldiers Angels Group for 7 years. We have heard the stories, and I have rcvd multitudes of letters from the young people stationed in Iraq. I commend you for your strength!...Blessings, Ghostseer... Keep in touch, and you aren't breaking any rules by telling us your story...
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-12-17)
Please forgive me, but I can't help but mention that I think some details that you gave in your story may be violations of OPSEC too. I know there are some gray areas in what you can or can't talk about, but the description of the area in which you were on duty seem a little unnecessarily detailed to the point of what you saw. Just for future reference.

Warmest blessings,

DA
Axl (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-16)
very very interesting. That iraqi may of been possesed. Which would explain the eyes. But also some people can reflect light from their eyes on their own. So... Dunno what ta tell ya.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2008-12-16)
Thank you for your service to our country. I can't help but think that this man in the car with shining eyes was probably just blind. It would explain why he didn't flinch away from the light, and certain conditions that induce blindness film over the eyes with a murky white layer which could also explain the eerie reflection. I'm not saying for sure that's what it was, because I wasn't there... But that's what it sounds like to me.:)

Warmest blessings,

DA
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2008-12-15)
I would like to also give my thanks to you and all of your commrades in arms for the selfless act you achive for our country!

I am certain there was (and is) a lot of negative - even evil energy with all of the upheval there, I would not be suprised if indeed you did see a demon, some of the atrosicties could only have been completed by a demon,

God Bless!
Jackets (3 stories) (71 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-15)
Groundpounder,

First of all, thank you for risking your life in service to the US Army in an effort to keep us and others safe. Secondly, welcome to YGS!

Reading your story gave me the chills. It brought back a memory of a person I passed on the streets of NYC late at night a few years back. I was just minding my business walking back towards home and saw a man dressed all in black with a hood walking a dog. I got an eerie feeling and when he looked up at me as we passed eachother, his eyes were glowing. I was freaked out to say the least. I am going to have to look at this movie and see what you are talking about. I was hoping they had created some glow in the dark contacts. I am going to hope that was what I saw. But it still gives me chills just thinking about it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: