You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Visit From My Grandfather

Real Ghost Stories

Visit From My Grandfather

 

I grew up living with my dad and my grandparents, so my grandmother and grandfather were always more like parents to me than grandparents. I was very close to both of them. My grandfather passed away when I was 21, and it was a really tough experience for me. I was living with my grandparents at the time, so it really altered my everyday life.

A little over a year later, I had moved out and was living in an apartment with a roommate. She spent many weekends out of town, because her boyfriend lived about an hour away. Whenever she was gone, I always took care of her dog and cat. The dog would always sleep under my bed, and the cat would usually come jump into the bed sometime in the middle of the night as long as I left my door cracked open for him.

This particular night in question, my roommate was out of town, and the dog was already under my bed. Since the cat wasn't in my room yet, I made sure to leave the door cracked open for him to come in. I went to sleep and had a dream that I was standing in the living room of my grandmother's house. I could hear something in the kitchen that sounded like pouring water, but somehow sounded really pure and crisp. I walked into the kitchen and saw my grandfather standing at the counter. He was pouring water from a silver jug into a vase and had put flowers into it. They looked like they may have been blue hyacinth. They looked purple.

I ran to him and started crying as he hugged me. I said, "I'm so sorry, I thought you were gone!" He said to me, "I know. I still am gone, I just came to leave these flowers for your grandmother." I stopped crying and then just looked at him and said, "How is it? Is it wonderful?" I meant heaven... I was asking him how heaven was. He told me that it was more beautiful than I could imagine. Then he left. When I woke up, I realized that the dog was under the bed, and the cat was sleeping beside me, but my door was closed.

When my roommate came home, I told her about it. She said, "Taylor doesn't close doors. He doesn't know that trick. He opens them, but he never closes them." She and I were convinced that my grandfather really had visited me in my sleep and talked to me in my dream. I met a mixed reaction about it when I told people at work about it. I was very happy about it, I felt like it was a blessing that I got to talk to my grandfather again.

I really enjoyed talking to him, and I really would like to again. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make myself more open for him to visit me again?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Calypso, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Calypso (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-17)
Tonith - Thank you so much for this comment! I means a lot to me to know that he is probably very happy as a visiting spirit. His happiness means a lot to me. And no worries about the comment concerning my grandmother. I would be lying if I said that I hadn't wished the same thing myself. I used to positively hate myself for it, but finally I realized that I actually wished it more for her sake than for my own. I know that she would not want to live in such a state, especially when she can move on to a happier place. She was such a powerful and positive influence on my life that I know she is certain to have a happy afterlife. She and I share a connection that few people understand - she is everything to me.

BriFischer05 and hobbyholly, thank you as well for your comments. Both of you have encouraged me to have faith that I'll see him again soon. Even if it's not on *my* timeframe... It's probably best that way anyway.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-17)
They say the happiest spirits are those that are visiting spirits and not the ones stuck in this dimension who always seem to be confused or empty of emotion. I believe your grandfather was a visiting spirit and used the dreamstate to communicate with you. I hope your grandmother joins him soon. Alzheimers is a terrible disease. I hope she doesn't live long to suffer it's ravages. She will be happier with your grandfather and you will know they are united once again. Please don't think me horrible for wishing your grandmother to pass, it's not that I assure you. I have just seen the result of Alzheimers and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Better for them to be whole and happy on the other side with the ones they love. As far as the cat thing well I have 4 and while they can open a cracked door they can't open one that is properly closed. Mine have never been known to close a door either. I would take this as a sign that your grandfather actually did make a visit and that closed door was his calling card. God bless.
BriFischer05 (14 stories) (169 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-17)
Go with your gut and cherish that beautiful experience. Your grandpa sounds like a sweet man and I'm sure that has lived on through you:) Stay positive and hold his memory in your heart. You WILL see him again ❤

Peave and Love,

Brian
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-17)
Calypso-
That was a lovely story. I too lived with my grandparents. They passed away when I was 18. It really shook up and changed my entire direction in life. I often have dreams where my grandfather will be present. I become so frantic in the dream to talk to him, that it is really intense. I'll wake up sweaty and sometimes crying. They are so real feeling. It sounds nuts, but I can actually feel the hug. I can actually smell my grandpa's favorite sweater.

Often, I've wished for MORE dreams with them. Once you've "talked" to them, you want more. More answers, more memories and for me, more hugs. For awhile I tried thinking about them before falling asleep. This never worked. I end up dreaming about High School prom or something.

I've found that I'll randomly dream about them. I take it for what it is. I suggest you just let it happen. Trust me, I know how anxious one can get. But just wait, they'll come back. Considerate a nice little visit.

Have a good one
Calypso (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-16)
Thanks for your comment, DA. I guess I'm not one of the "cool kids" on the board with a really interesting story. Too bad in a way, because I'm addicted to reading these threads! I wish I had more interesting stuff to give, but at least everyone seems to think it's a nice story. Things have been pretty peaceful from him lately, we had some electricity disturbances after he first died. But those are long since gone. I was wondering if I had lost some of my sensitivity toward him, which is why I wondered if someone could tell me how I had managed to be "open" enough for him to visit me. I wonder sometimes if he finished crossing over or reincarnated or something. I don't really know how it works. That's part of what I'm trying to find out by reading these threads. Bottom line of it is that he's happy, and I am too now. It was real for me, and it's a very special memory. And I guess that's what really matters.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-16)
Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. I'm very sorry for the passing of your Grandfather, but it seems like he's happy with where he is now. I can't say for sure if he truly visited you in this dream or not, but if it was real to you, then that's all that matters.

Warmest blessings,

DA
Calypso (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-15)
ParaTam, thanks for your comment! The house has a flowerbox outside in front of the living room window, and I've noticed some hyacinth growing there. I think my dad may have planted it, but it seems to be the only thing that is thriving. So I think that she has "gotten the flowers" so to speak.

I told my grandmother about that dream and she thinks just like I do - that my grandfater came back to visit me. She said that Grandfather has talked to her before and told her that God took him first because He knew that my grandfather would not survive the loss of my grandmother. He said that it was part of His plan and that she would join him before long.

She's also made the comment to me that she had about 3 years left (and this was about 2 1/2 to 3 years ago), so I've wondered before if she actually "knows" something that I don't. Of course, a comment like that can be taken several different ways. She has Alzheimer's now, and it's getting more and more severe. She may have meant that she only had about 3 years left in full control of her mental cognition- that would certainly fit that statement.

Jackets - Thanks for your comment! It's hard to explain why I think this was a real visit, other than the door. That's the only physical evidence that I have... It just FELT real. It didn't feel like a dream. Although, I know that I have had some dreams before that felt more real than others, and they tend to stick with me. But this one felt even more real than those. I understand what you are saying, I would want to make sure that trying to leave myself more open would not allow another entity to cut in through me.
ParaTam (3 stories) (80 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-15)
Calypso -
What a nice story! Thank you for sharing it! I believe that our loved ones can visit us in our dreams. My brother-in-law, who had died in a small plane accident, visited my mother a couple of months after his death. He told her he was checking in on his daughter to make sure she was okay. My mother-in-law has visited my younger daughter numerous times in her dreams. She even visited me one night - kissing me on the cheek. I woke up immediately and still felt the warmth of her kiss on my cheek - and her love that filled the room.

What a special time you shared with your grandfather - even being able to hug him. Did you ever tell your grandmother about the flowers from your grandfather? That is such a loving gesture, Grandpa coming back to give her flowers. Your grandma would want to know his love for her transcends this world. Maybe she already knows... She may have received the flowers already!

Take care, Calypso!

Blessed be
ParaTam
Jackets (3 stories) (71 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-15)
Beautiful story. It is hard to say whether this was truly a visit, but if you feel it was, then I would go with it. Only you can know for sure whether it was jsut a dream or a visit from him. As for leaving yourself open to more visits from him, I can not comment. I will leave this to people with more expertise in this area. I am not specifically aware of the potential dangers or benefits of attempting to do this without the help of a true medium.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: