You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: Ghost Of Mr. Graham

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Of Mr. Graham

 

Mr. Graham owned a tiny corner market, and he loved all the children who frequented his store. His smile was genuine, and his heart was made of gold. Even though he barely made a living selling his wares, he handed out free candy to the children. Of course, this made the kids want to live at his store. They were there before school, and after.

Mr. Graham spent his afternoons creating tales for us. I loved hearing his latest story. Mr. Graham was a great story teller. The best I have ever heard!. He had the ability to make his stories come alive. When he spoke, you could hear a pin drop. No one wanted to miss a word he said...

If a customer came into the store, they would stop and listen. Child like wonder would fill their eyes. Mr. Graham loved to pull in the adults as well as the children. His eyes would sparkle with merriment, when he created the individual voices for his characters. They came alive before our eyes!

I don't know when he found the time to create a story, but he had a new story for us, every single day! Each story took us to different places, and we hated it when the story ended. He made sure to tell us tales of wonder, joy, and exploration. Our imaginations went untamed, within his story kingdom. Mr. Graham, should have been writing books for children, but he said, "the stories"... They were just for us! He made us feel so special!...

Mr. Graham, he smiled all the time, but I felt kind of bad for him. His clothes were all worn out, and the knees in his pants were threadbare. He always smelled like lava soap, and his hair was always clean, and combed. He appeared to take great pride in ironing his yellowed, button down shirts, and there were perfect creases in each sleeve. The worn out shoes on his feet, were always-spit spot shiny. He didn't have much, but he was rich!. He found happiness in giving, he found joy in his stories. He found love, through us kids. I don't think he was too lonely, but I know he missed his wife. You could see it sometimes, peeking out from behind the constant smile, a longing for something missing, it would show, albeit- brief...

His wife had died a few years, before, he had opened the store, and they had never had any children of their own. I think the visiting children, from the nearby elementary school, were as close to a family as he would ever have.

One sad day, everything changed...

After school, my friends and I, we went to Mr. Grahams store-just like we did, every afternoon. It was all closed up! No sign, no notice... This was not like Mr. Graham. He was always there, seven days a week. We all looked at each other in confusion. What could have happened to cause Mr. Graham to abandon his post? Wouldn't he miss us?. Maybe he hadn't been able to remember another story. I tried to think up a reasonable excuse for his absence. We waited for a bit, and when he still didn't show, we had no choice, but to go home.

That evening, the awful reality would be told to me. My Mother sat me down, and told me what she had heard. She told me, Mr. Graham had died. She had talked to Mr. Grahams landlady at the local grocery mart, and been told the awful news. He had had a heart attack, but he had died quickly. I couldn't believe it! This gentle Soul had passed away. I didn't get to say goodbye!. I knew the other children would miss him dearly, when they were told this news by their family members. It wasn't fair!, How could he just go away like that?...I was heartbroken!. Those story tale afternoons, all gone. Mr. Grahams laughter, forever silenced. Yes, he would be sorely missed by all.

I cried like there was no tomorrow. I vowed, never to forget his loving and generous nature. I wanted to honor the kindness in his heart, but I didn't know how!...

He was with his beloved wife, I was sure of it. He had talked about her all the time, and I was sure they were reunited! This made me feel a litle better.

Time went on, and the store never reopened. The neighborhood grew, as all neighborhoods do, and a big mall popped up, right around the corner. The corner shop belonging to Mr Graham, was quickly outdated, and forgotten...

I lived about ten blocks from Mr. Grahams old place, and it was eerie to walk past. Seeing it all boarded up, it made my heart heavy. It had been such a happy place. I had hoped someone would open another corner market, and be as kind as Mr. Graham had been... Of course, it didn't happen, and as the years went by, no one bought the old place. I hadn't walked in that direction in such a long time... For good reason!

It had become run down, and derelicts slept nearby in the shadows. I was in my teens now. I remember the decision to walk by Mr. Graham's old place. Nostalgia overtakes the Soul, from time to time, am I right? Anyway, the sun had just gone down, but I wasn't afraid. This was my neighborhood, and nothing was going to hurt me. I kept telling myself this as I walked toward the seedier part of town.

As I drew closer to the rotting building, it was apparent that nothing had changed. The paint was still peeling, the building was sagging in places, but it was a special place to me. I felt lighter just looking at the old building. Memories of gumballs and red hots, story tales, and Mr. Grahams sparkling eyes,... Wonderful images filled my head.

All these memories flying through my head! I smiled a little smile, when I remembered how good Mr. Graham had treated us. We had been so blessed!... To have had him a part of our young lives. I was thinking about turning away, and heading back, when I saw a muted light coming from the old store...

I saw a soft glow, like candlelight, behind the boarded up windows. I wondered if someone was inside. What would they be doing in there? It had to be dangerous to be inside the building. After all, it looked like the place was about to fall down.

I tiptoed over, and took a quick peek through the cracks in the boards. What I saw? Surprised the heck out of me! Mr. Graham was sweeping the interior of his disheveled, dilapidated store!.

Obviously, he was a Ghostly Apparition, but he looked intent on cleaning up the mess around him. I watched for a few minutes in disbelief. Without any warning, Mr. Graham looked in my direction. Startled, I froze to the walls. My hands, pressed against both sides of the boarded up window, wide eyes, still peering through the cracks. I just couldn't look away...

Mr. Graham tilted his head to the right, and smiled! It was like he knew it was me. He winked at me, just like he did when he was alive, and I knew at that moment, he was o.k...No!, he was more than ok... I saw that old twinkle in his ghostly eyes.

He turned back to his chores, and silently, slowly-he faded away. The dilapidated store, was as dark as an old unused building should be... I walked away with a smile on my face, and a light heart.

Mr. Graham, you will never be forgotten...

Other hauntings by ghostseer

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ghostseer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

WiniPu4 (207 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-14)
Hello:

I'm sure I don't have to tell you how very, very fortunate you are for Mr. Graham to have chosen to appear to you & that you were capable of seeing and understanding what you were witnessing. What a truly special experience you had! Thank you for sharing it with all of us. I absolutely love reading encounters such as yours. Very heart-warming and well-written.
Kind Regards,
Lynev
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-22)
What a wonderful narrative Ghostseer, I am truely amazed that you did not get many more reviews. I think your descriptive writing style is superlative. You paint a very vivid picture.
Mr. Graham left an indelible print on your life; you have now done the same on ours.
Thank you for sharing.
PS: I know this is an old post, but I was so impressed, I just HAD to comment!
jesuis88 (1 stories) (23 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-28)
One of the best stories I have read on here. Thank you very much for sharing. And I agree with you that Mr. Graham knew it was you and I think he just wanted you to have closure.
chosenone (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-26)
😭 this story makes me cry I wish I had someone like that in my town 😭
watermoon (2 stories) (54 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-26)
I have read this story more then 10 times I just love it it such a beautiful story I am so glad you shared this story 😁 ❤
Oddgoingson (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-30)
GAC I just have to agree and I love your name lol. Such a touching story I wish I had someone like that
GACfan101 (11 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-30)
very wonderful and beautiful story 😊 it was so touching I actually got a little teary eyed. It just goes to show that not everything happens forever even though you can never even think about an ending to it. Childhood is a wonderful thing that we all take for granted and in a blink of an eye we have all these responsibilities to take care of ugh how I miss being so young ❤ this story actually feels like a movie from maybe the old show "Goosebumps" or something lol awesome story loved it 😁 take care and may Mr. Graham rest in peace with his wife <3 (crap I ran out of the emoticons:D haha)
watermoon (2 stories) (54 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-30)
Wow what a beautiful story. I have been wanting to read this story for a while but kept forgetting to read it but I am so glad that I have. 😁
saaya090 (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-21)
Your story was the best! I signed up just to comment here! It was very touching. I was almost crying. RIP Mr. Graham and Mrs.Graham. I am glad to hear that you may finally be with your wife! ❤ 😊
Webbstain (3 stories) (24 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-13)
Well done:) that is what I needed so thank you so much, mr. Graham would be proud my dear:) thank you SO much!X
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
DixieChick101: Thankyou for commenting. I'm sorry about the loss of your Brother. I do know how hard it is to lose someone you Love. You will always miss him, but the memories will go from sadness... To happiness, as you remember how special he was in life. You will carry him with you always. I am sure he is at peace.
DixieChick101 (4 stories) (53 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-18)
You ever so quickly becoming my favorite story teller. I wish, I could meet you. I would so interested to know who I have around me, if anyone. But then, I would say we all have someone around us. We all have a loved one who has went to the other side. I, so miss my brother sometimes its unbearable. But then I am not the only brotherless little sister in the world. Am I?
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
Wow what an amazing story. I have to say I think you learned something from Mr.Graham.Its to tell a great story 😁.Im happy that you had the chance to meet such a great man. It is people like him that give life a meaning. I'm happy that mr. Graham is ok. He is in his happy place right now. Thanks again. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-19)
KimSouth0: Happy Holidays!, thanks for commenting. I do so miss Mr. Graham...It's hard to find that kind of business man in this day and age...Blessings, Ghostseer
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-19)
DeviousAngel:I just wish there more "Mr. Grahams" out there...Haven't meant one since the TRUE Mr. Graham passed away...Blessings, Ghostseer
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-19)
Another beautiful and touching story! I too had a neighborhood grocer such as Mr. Graham who ended up as nore of a grandpa than anyhing else.

Thanks for sharing another one of your wonderful experiences with us!

God Bless!
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-19)
Thank you for sharing your story! It's good to know that there are still honest, hard-working people in the world like Mr. Graham.

Warmest blessings,
Lynn
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-19)
Nich: Thanks for the compliment. I pray you will meet someone like Mr. Graham to enrich your life, too! He was such an influence to me, and I will honor his memory...always. Blessings, ghostseer
nich (4 stories) (30 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-19)
Great! You can be a writer too ghostseer... Well written... Sure Mr. Graham will never be forgotten. He is now in a peaceful place with his loveone. Touching and sad... I just hoped that I can meet someone like Mr. Graham.

Peace...
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-19)
BCEagles25: Oh yes!, it was/IS real!...Mr. Graham existed, and will ALWAYS exist, in my heart... And through my writing of my experiences. Blessings for reading/commenting, Ghostseer
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-19)
libertybelle: All the people I have loved in the past, they are gone now, but NEVER forgotten!...Mr. Graham was/always will be... A part of me. Every holiday, I still think of him... And smile...Blessings, Ghostseer 😊
ghostseer (41 stories) (408 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-19)
deamergal72: Mr. Graham was an awesome guy!...I am amazed I didn't write aboout him earlier... I knew it would make people remember the wonderful "Gems" who touched their lives as well...Blessings, Ghostseer
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-18)
Great Story Ghostseer Made me want to meet this man and It kind of remind me of my grandmother she live story teller to say about her life and how start her and greatgrandma story etc. It very wonderfully.
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-12-18)
This story is like a superbly crafted gem, ghostseer--we can always trust you for a phenomenally good read. Mr. Graham sounds like the kind of grandfatherly sort who should be a part of everyone's childhood!
BCEagles25 (38 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-18)
Wow. What a GREAT story. Is it real? It's so well written and described. Everything was perfect, I could invision Mr. Graham, the happiness and everything. Not to sound corny or queer, but your story really painted a picture.

Great job

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: