You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Visits From Papa

Real Ghost Stories

Visits From Papa

 

My dad passed away just over a year ago and it was very sudden and much unexpected, so it has been especially painful and the shock hasn't worn off yet. Two years my husband and I remodeled and added on to our house and built a large 2 bedroom apt over the garage for my parents to live in, so until his death, I saw my dad every single day. This is the first death I've experienced in my life that is someone I was so close to and it has been really really hard.

The night he died I had a very strange dream that I thought was just a dream until I read some other stories on this site, and now I think it was a "visit" from Papa. It took place in my childhood home (and yet it was very different on the inside for some reason) and in the dream I knew my dad was gone and we were waiting around for family to come over.

I wish I had written this all down because now my memory of some of the specifics is getting harder to recall but I do remember I was in this room sitting on the bed and my dad was there. I was asking him if he was really dead and had he really gone on to another place, another place that I would see him again. And either he told me to (or I just did it - can't remember which) put my hand through his body and I did, and my hand went completely through it as if he was just a spirit. I remember doing it several times, and each time I did it was a very very warm sensation (on my hand). The dream felt so real. Now after reading some of the other stories here, I feel that it was my father coming back the very night of his passing to tell me that he DID go to another place so that I would someday see him again.

Since then I've had about 10 dreams of him and in some of them I know he's gone, and some of them I don't. In the ones I do know, I hug him because I know I won't see him when I wake up.

Then something other than a dream happened last night. As I was going to check on my youngest daughter (2 1/2) at around midnight I was going back down the stairs by her room and all of a sudden I smelled Vicks Vapor Rub. I associate that smell with my dad because he used it all the time in the winter. I didn't know where it was coming from and I went back up and then down the stairs to see if I *really* was smelling it and it was pretty strong and I even have a cold and can't smell all that well! Two hours later (I was still up) I went back to check on my daughter, partially just to see if the smell was still there and it wasn't. At all.

Then I went to bed and I had a dream about my dad. He came walking up to me and in this dream I realized he had passed so I gave him a big hug and several family members and I sat down at a table with him. After awhile I asked him some questions about "the other side" and he answered them. Even though this was only 24 hours ago as I'm typing this, some of the answers I can't remember very well, but I do remember his answers gave me peace.

Each time I dream about him I wake up feeling as though I was just with him which is so comforting to me because it makes it seem like he's still here. What is really odd is that this morning my mom, who was watching my 2 1/2 year old, told me that my daughter got into the Vicks this morning and was playing with it in my mom's room! But she hadn't ever gotten into it before. I find that very odd.

My mom hasn't had any experiences like this. Only I seem to be the one. And I'm thinking it's because it is I who am having the hardest time dealing with his passing. I still cry almost every night before I go to bed because I miss him so much. And of course Thanksgiving and Christmas are hard times of the year. It seems like I read/heard recently that those who are the most hurting from a loss are the ones most likely to "reach out to" from beyond, but who knows.

If any of you have had similar experiences, I'd love to hear them.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jill, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-22)
Hello and thank you for sharing your story. I do believe that you were able to contact your father through your dreams, and that's a wonderful blessing. It really sounds like he's happy where he is. Rest assured that he loves you and he knows that you love him too!

Warmest blessings,
DA/Lynn
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-20)
Hello Jill, welcome to the site and thank you for sharing a very intimate story with us! I'm sure it was difficult putting all these emotions into words but mainly for the memories they provoked.

Like other members on the site, I have experienced a "visit" from a family member only in my case it was my Grandparents. If you'd like there are a number of stories under the title Family/Friends Visits-it will comfort you to read all those experiences and people's feelings about the encounters.

You said it yourself-it IS your pain over the loss of your beloved father that serves as a path for him-one that leads him back home to help you come to terms with his physical death. He's not only there with you at times to help you deal with the loss but to mainly assure you that you will meet again when you are, like him, in spirit form.

Jill, your father no matter if he has passed, is still a caring parent and you are still his "little girl". His love is much greater than death, it transcends any physical limitation. He will be with you whenever he feels you need his support, his comfort or simply to share your happiness. He will be there all the way until your own time comes to cross over too-he will be there to lead you to the "land across".

Be happy that you're sensitive enough, that your "bond" has always been strong enough to allow you to "feel" these visits. Let him know that you welcome his homecomings but at the same time, assure him that his message has been understood and that you are now convinced he still exists in another dimension. Don't let him worry anymore.

My best wishes to you

Tammy
shandi (9 stories) (86 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-19)
I used to work for a nurse midwife who passed away this last summer. She has visited me in a dream twice now just to say hi, I think she just wants me to tell my friend Daffany (who was like her second daughter) that she comes to visit me, because she has visited Daffany many times in dreams but Daff was having a hard time believing that it was really her and not just a dream.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: