You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Victorian Flat 3

Real Ghost Stories

Victorian Flat 3

 

I had something interesting happen here over the weekend. As posted in "Victorian Flat Two" I have moved to a new apartment. If you haven't read it, I suggest you do so. It gives background on where I live and what has happened so far.

My parents have a cat named Phillip. He actually is "mine" but our apartment does not allow pets and Kyle is not a fan of Phillip. Phillip is a pretty well tempered cat around the age of five. Basically he sleeps, eats and likes to play in running water. That's it. He doesn't like cat toys. He doesn't like to be picked up or brushed. I guess he is just a normal cat (I don't know a lot about cats).

Anyhow, over the weekend my parents' apartment needed some work in the bathroom. Maintenance was coming. My parents didn't want Phillip to be startled by the workmen. They also felt bad because he wouldn't be able to play in the sink. It sounds crazy, but they treat this cat like their second child.

With such short notice, they couldn't get him into Kitty Day care (yes, its real. And yes. My parents call it Kitty Day care). So, they asked if he could spend Saturday with me at my new place. I was a little reluctant since there is a no pet clause in our lease. But my landlord is out of the country for the holidays and I thought I'd take a chance.

They brought Phillip over. I got his food, water dish and litter box set up in the kitchen. Of course he was a little shy at first, but found a nice napping place in our living room. He slept, ate, and slept again most of the day.

Sometime around 5pm he decided to explore. He ended up in the office/spare bedroom. I was in the living room. I started to hear him meow. Not really meow but whine. I figured he had gotten lost and needed me.

I came into the room to find him sitting square in the middle. His whining turned into hissing. He was starting straight up at the ceiling hissing. We're talking one angry kitty hissing. He was so focused on the ceiling. I didn't want to get too close to him, but I wanted to get him out of there. He wouldn't budge. I tried talking to him, patting the floor to come closer to me. He wouldn't stop.

Finally, I got his food bag and shook it. Of course, Phillip, never to turn down food, turned and looked at me. I started to coax him out. He walked out of the room, the whole time his head turned. As if he was looking over his shoulder. I fed him, he ate a little and then he sat in my lap until my parents came to get him.

The only time he moved that day was when I had to get up. As soon as I would sit, BAM right on my lap again.

1. Phillip NEVER likes sitting on my lap. He will always jump off.

2. There was NOTHING on the ceiling. No bugs, no fan.

3. Our ridiculous neighbor was actually gone for the day, so no loud music/movies or "adult films" were playing.

Now I don't know what was going on. Maybe he was anxious to be somewhere strange. Maybe he was just being goofy that day. BUT that distinct stare reminded me of my dog Smokey when I lived in Lisle. Smokey would get this distinct stare at something in the kitchen-very focused.

This might be nothing. Kyle says he's just crazy. Any opinions?

Other hauntings by hobbyholly

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, hobbyholly, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MissSensitive (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-09-29)
I just got the chills whenever I read that. A similar experience happened to me in the past with my pet. I'll never forget the shocked/ afraid terror. As if it HAD to abolish what was bothering them with all of their lungs, and stance power. Poor, baby. I truly believe children, and animals have a certain sensitivity.

Thanks for sharing. ❤
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-22)
thank you everyone for the feedback. I'd type more, but I have some last minute Christmas crap to take care of. Hopefully I can get back to this site later...

Ghostlover: Phillip is very independent at my parents. He likes to be left alone. He prefers sitting alone. He was like that when he lived with me
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-22)
The cat being in your lap isn't as strange as it seems because cats tend to want to snuggle more when they're unfamiliar with their surroundings. It makes them feel safe and vets will usually tell you that it helps reduce stress on cats when you hold them and let them hide their face against you for a while. I'm not sure what got him so upset though...it's possible that he had seen something paranormal and was protecting you, or he may have just spazzed out...I'm inclined to say paranormal though, because cats are intelligent beings and unless there's something wrong with them, they usually don't start tripping out like that.

Thank you for sharing your story!

Warmest blessings,
DA/Lynn
ghostlover13 (19 stories) (191 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-21)
I am not sure if this is paranormal or not.
It could or could not be.

I have heard that animals are sensetive to the paranormal.

Does the kitty act like that at home, also?

Take Care! ❤
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-20)
Thank you, hobbyholly, for the update on activities in your new place. Very curious. At least you can eliminate your upstairs neighbor as not a factor! To echo Rhodes, please keep us posted. I think we're going to continue to hear interesting things about this beautiful, charming Victorian. Thanks 😊
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-20)
Taking into account your previous post about the events at your house, one needs not wonder why your cat has had that reaction but instead take it as affirmation.

I'd be very interested in reading anything new about your Victorian house and the events there hobbyholly.

Thank you for the update.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-19)
Hard to say what shook up the cat. They can be very unpredictable at times. The only time my cats will sit on my lap and not move is at the vets because they know they are not at home and they are scared. Did the cat sense something? I don't know but it's possible. Have you had any strange activity in the apartment? Doesn't take much to wig out a cat in a strange place even if they know the people with them. They don't like change of any kind. My son was dog sitting in my house and the dog went up the attic steps and wouldn't come down. It was just shaking like crazy and my son had to go up and carry her down. This was when we first owned the house but didn't live in it before it was all remodeled. My son took up residence so it would be occupied due to they don't like to insure a building for fire when not occupied. Since we have lived here my cats have no issue with the attic but I was up there one day and felt something tap 3 times on my upper arm. I looked thinking it was my one cat but alas no cats in sight. Nerves jumping in a muscle? Possibly but it's never happened before like that or since. While the dog may have sensed something my cats don't seem to at all. My house is from 1886 so there could be something here but if there is it's one quiet spirit and no doubt keeps to the attic. It may like cats but not dogs lol.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: