You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: While You Were Sleeping

Real Ghost Stories

While You Were Sleeping

 

I have always had paranormal experiences especially as a child. I have lots of unanswered questions so I'm going to start with this experience.

I was sleeping one night with my husband beside me and I awoke to someone screaming. I was paralyzed. I could not move my arms, legs, neck or head. The only thing I could move was my eyelids. So my eyes were open and I was struggling to move my arms because I wanted to put the covers over my head. The screaming was continuous but getting louder and pitchier and started to sound like a baby was screaming. At this point I felt like I was levitating. I could not feel the bed under me. I felt so light but due to the fact that I couldn't move I still don't know to this day if I was actually levitating. When the screaming stopped I could move all at the same time. It felt as though a weight was lifted and my arms were exhausted from fighting to move them for that period of time. I should mention that while this was happening that it also felt like someone was holding me down. I don't know if it is connected because the screaming sounded like a baby. When my daughter was young probably around one year old she was still in a highchair she would look at the ceiling and just say baby and repeat it.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what happened to me I would love to hear it.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, nygirl777, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kirsten_pax09 (10 stories) (72 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-16)
[at] nygirl777: Do you have any religious beliefs? During sleep paralyzes/phantomania/old hag syndrome/levitation or any other form of demonic attack I would suggest prayer. Even if you can't move or talk, I would call on God for help. "Defy" whatever is holding you by using your voice inside of you. I would say in my mind; "God please help me? Help me God?"

I went through one of these attacks once and I noticed that when I called on God, I was released instantly and a wonderful calm came over me. I would then take my baby down to be baptized if she hasn't been already. There's a chance she might become a victim of this SP next. Do what you can to protect her? It is a negative force in your life.

Find out what called this into your life? Most of these can be traced in someway to someone fiddling with a Ouija Board. Even if it wasn't you, if you have visited a home where someone is playing with one and you just have a conversation about those activities those spirits can try and follow you back to your place to make trouble. This is what happened to me.

[at] salz: You're sensitive and may always have some kind of spiritual encounters all your life. I would suggest prayer and inviting into your life also God's protection.
salz (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-11)
Hi I would like to start by asking you why you picked the numbers 777?... I have a very bad assossiation with the number 7 and you have used 3 of them... All bad things happen 2 me have a seven in the air!
This experience I had many years ago when I was 18living in a block of flats that other tennents said they had ghosty things happen, what happened 2 me was that I was woken up in the middle of the night by an extremly bright light... It scared the life outta me so I tred 2 get out of bed only 2 find myself paralized everything except my eyelids... I was screaming 2 my flatmate sleeping in the next room but there was no noise coming out... When the light went I could move... I ran into her room and stayed with her 4 a week or so... Then 1 day felt I could not stay in hers any more... What was this? I also have may dreams of people I know who have passed and they are never dreams of anything past... Its always as if its happening and they are always visiting me while I'm knowing them 2 be dead if this makes sence... Am I being visited while I sleep 2 save me being scared while I'm awake and them popping by?...
Graceee (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-04)
Hi! This happened to me the other night, except I couldn't open my eyes, my whole body was paralysed and I felt hot and light, I have found another woman on this site whose had the same experience and when she opened her eyes she coould see a ghost at the end of her bed laughing, I lost all senses during this experience so I couldn't open my eyes or hear anything, but mine wasent so much a shreiking, but the spirit was chanting a phrase, once it was gone I couldn't remember the phrase. This was in my old house, and other weird stiff would happen to, the tv would turn off and the sheets would be pulled... Weird. 😊
DeathxByxEyelinr (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-02)
hmm maybe a young child or a infant died in that house and your daughter, knowing that children can see spirits, seen the baby as you said she said, "baby". Try leaving toys out for it and it might stop interfering with your sleep. Dead or not, a baby is still a baby...
princess123 (7 stories) (186 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-02)
i have heard that babies can see ghosts and I think that is very freaky because I have a baby brother and I think he always See's ghosts wherever I go, because since my house is over 105 years old I think it has many ghosts not just one.

Princess123 x ❤
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-31)
Classic sleep paralysis I would agree. It can mimmick what seems like an out of body experience as well (the levitation feeling) but I can't tell if you were out of body or just having sleep paralysis. Most likely just sleep paralysis.
nygirl777 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-31)
We have lived in our home for about a year and a half. The only thing I know of that happened was that of an elderly women fell asleep with a cigarette in the living room and burned herself. I don't know how bad it was because the house did not burn down but there is a black mark on the wooden floor in our living room. She did die in the hospital a couple days later. As for our house it is small and my daughters room is in a finished attic that is off the living room. The only thing that was on was my tv in my bedroom and that's where me an my husband were at the time.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-30)
This sounds exactly like a classic case of sleep paralysis. A lot of times there are strange sounds and other physical sensations that accompany the episodes. You should talk to your doctor about getting a proper diagnosis and treatment if it continues. As for the things your child has seen or reacted to, that could very well be spiritual activity. It doesn't seem like anything is threatening or harming your child, so at least you're safe there. It may just be that she has a very active imagination, but she sounds like she could be a sensitive. As for the sounds in your daughter's room, that could just be residual energy from the previous tenants. Have you had a chance to read up on the history of the house? How long have you lived there? It may even have been a residual energy replay of you answering your cell phone in her room or somewhere else in the house.

Blessings,
DA
Jackets (3 stories) (71 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-30)
Unfortunately, I can't come up with a logical possibility without knowing exactly what the area is like. There are too many factors that could have played into it. Possibly someone was outside although it seems like that is less of a possibility. She may have heard something on the television or a tv in another area of the house. I hesitate to say that it is residual since cell phones are a relatively new technology. I am a bit stumped myself.
nygirl777 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-30)
Ok I think I need help with this one.
Last night my daughter came downstairs screaming. It was about 9 pm and no one was sleeping yet. When I calmed her down she said she was getting a movie to put in her vcr. Then she heard a cell phone ringing and she heard it answer and a lady said hello is anyone there. Then she heard knocking. I have no idea how this could happen because mine and my husbands cell phones were with us and my daughter does not have a cell phone. We checked her play phones and it wasn't them. We don't live somewhere where people are outside around our house. Also I asked her were the sound was coming from and she said it sounded like it was right next to her. I thought about traveling sound. But we live in ny and its cold and all our windows are shut. I can't come up with a logical explaination for this.
nygirl777 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-29)
RHODES68,
Thank you for your post but I don't feel gifted. I can't control what I see I get really freaked out and try to turn it off and not believe if you know what I mean. When the whole baby thing happened with my daughter what I thought was weird is that she would always look to a certain spot of the ceiling and say baby repeatedly. My daughter was probably about a year old when this happened. She wasn't fully speaking yet she was just saying words.
nygirl777 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-29)
Thank you everyone,
sierraangel you daughter is definatly seeing something. Reading your post triggered my memory. When my daughter was young (she is 8 right now) and we were living at my mothers she would not go into my bedroom without someone else. She always would say that there were men in there with dancing pants. She also had trouble sleeping because of it. Now we live in our own house and she says she sometimes hears things in her bedroom. I do hear stuff once in a while too coming from her room. It almost sounds like the news is on in her room but I can't make out what they are saying because they are speaking too loud. I do go up and check and the tv is off and my daughter is sound asleep. Also just let me tell you that we do not have cable so its kind of impossible for it to be a new channel. Fyi I never talk about the spirits or anything around my child so she didn't feed off of anything I would say.
Sierraangel if this is affecting your child in a negative way you can try what I did that worked well. I bought air freshener and called it ghost spray or spirit spray. I would spray it around before bed and tell her when she could smell it that it was working. It worked for her and I probably only had to do it for a month.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-27)
Nygirl hello and thank you for posting your experience!

Reading your comment to Jmak, I'm more inclined to think you're quite sensitive towards the spirit world which might be the reason you get all these "visitations".

Also quite probably your "gift" is passed on to your daughter as well although many of us believe that children, being more intuitive than the logical adults, are more "open" to these encounters-an ability they sometimes loose by growing older.

Since your husband has perceived the shadows that you saw and sensed in the past, that is confirmation that you aren't "imagining" things.

As for this particular experience, I would have to assume that someone is striving to get your attention but I'd need more proof before assuming it IS a baby.

What I'm trying to say here is that it might very well be what it appears-a baby that has died and got "trapped" in this house;it might be residual or intelligent but it could also be something completely different that uses your "mother instincts" to attract your attention.

The same thing applies to your daughter's experiences.

Therefore I'd be doing a bit of research on the house and the land around it to see if I can come up with anything concerning the past events (history of families that lived there before you,deaths, accidents, etc.)

If your child is old enough to fully verbalise her experiences ask her for more details concerning "the baby".

I hope that if this IS what appears to be, you will do your best to assist the lost soul but if it's not then make sure you protect your famly and household.

Thank you.
sierraangel (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-26)
i have a 2 year old don't not sleep at night because something (spirit) is tormenting her like when we lay down to sleep she closes her eyes to sleep but at the same time she moves, points, cry, and etc... I myself seen a lil boy walking in my bathroom with his head down and now all she says is boy over and over again. Do yall think that maybe she's gifted? Help please... 😭
oh, she also keeps pointing at the closet and always tells me he scares me mommy and I says who she tells me him and point.
ghostlover13 (19 stories) (191 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-26)
This sounds like sleep paralysis.

As for your child saying baby, she may actually see something or she may just like the word.

Any questions? Email me: spirithelper [at] hotmail.com
Vampirekagome1 (16 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-26)
wow that sounds scary I would have been freaked out I hope you find out what going on I wish you luck
nygirl777 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-26)
Hi jmak,
When I was a child I saw people. There was a girl she was about my age at the time (10 years old). She would only appear when no one was around and she came around probably like once a week for a little while and then a man would come around. These people always looked the same and had the same clothes on.
This did all happen in the same house. I moved about a year ago and now sometimes when I am falling asleep or just fell asleep I hear my name and it wakes me up.
Me and my husband lived with my parents for a while and when we lived there were (everything happened) he has admitted to seeing the man that I have always seen. He has also seen like a black shadow scurrying across the floor which is something I have seen before.
kiran5070 (2 stories) (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-26)
if the baby is crying while you are sleeping it indicates a possible danger for your child in near future instaed if you investigate their may be a chance to get rid of, take this event serioulsly... Ghost psychologist
Jmak (6 stories) (156 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-25)
Hi nygirl777,
What you described sounds like a classic case of sleep paralysis. Is this the same kind of experiences you've had since childhood? Do you still live in the same place where this occured and if so has it occured since your posting? Did your husband notice anything while this was going on? Or has he told you about any experiences he might have had? I do hope you will keep us posted, God bless.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: