You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Military Brat's Boogeyman

Real Ghost Stories

Military Brat's Boogeyman

 

I was and still am a military brat. My first paranormal encounters began with my earliest memories of my life at Quonset Point Naval Base. My father was a computer analyst/programmer and as such we got to live on base in a mobile home park. Since my earliest memories were of mobile home parks, I always enjoyed sleeping with the sound of rain pitter pattering upon a metal roof. Now, I remember several odd things happening to me during the few years we lived in the mobile home park. So I think my memories were along about the 1969 to 1973 years. As I remember kindergarten, along up to third grades there.

I remember one time seeing an orange tabby cat sleeping curled up upon the couch in the living room. I approached it to take a closer look. I was curious about this cat because we didn't have an orange cat living with us. My memories are odd at this point because I recall that the cat seemed strange in that it had neither a head nor a tail, just a body. It struck me as being rather odd at the time. I could look at the cat with my eyes and yet not just with my eyes alone as I felt my eyes almost go cross eyed looking down at it. After a couple of blinks my mom asked me what I was doing (she was in the kitchen area), and when I answered her I turned away and told her about the cat. When I turned back it wasn't there anymore.

Later on, I'd managed to capture a pet turtle. I really should've left it alone. But my dad indulged me and allowed me to bring it home. One time, one evening, I heard it scraping along the hallway from the living room to the bedrooms (two, one master and the kids room (with bunk beds)) and the one bathroom. Dad told me to attend to the turtle before he got lost. I ignored it because I was at an interesting point in a comic book I was reading. The sound of the turtle scraping along stopped at that point. I thought at the time that it was due to the fact that all of the doors were closed and he had no where to go. I was wrong somehow. As soon as I got done with the comic book, I went to look for him. I couldn't find him anywhere. I searched several places over and over. I never did find him. All of the doors to the hallway were closed. I did not hear him scraping back down the hallway.

Years later, my Dad told me that when he moved the mobile home around '74 or '75, he found the turtle's shell underneath the house. No other bones other than its shell and it were lying in the crawlspace underneath that was completely inaccessible. No one was allowed to go in there. And I wouldn't due to all of the cobwebs. In short there were no holes or such that would've allowed the turtle to crawl directly into the crawlspace.

The most significant event was the late night one. I remember it fairly well even though it was nearly forty years ago. I was in the top bunk, sis was in the bottom. Mom and dad were in the master bedroom, and I had just woken up for no apparent reason. Something wasn't right about the house.

Why I couldn't tell at the time. Then I heard footsteps near the front door. But it was more than just footsteps, I could sense it. I was lying on my right side and I could feel that my pajama tops were pushed up near my diaphragm (again, I was always a restless sleeper).

Lying there I could here Dad snoring in his bedroom and sis was just snuffling a bit in her sleep. And there was someone in the living room slowly walking towards the bedrooms as if trying to keep from making any noises. But it couldn't prevent the slight depression its weight made upon the floor when it passed the wall between it and me, at which point I was definitely very nervous. I thought about yelling, but I just couldn't for some reason. Then the door to my bedroom opened. I could tell because I could feel the slight breeze generated by the door as it swung open, upon my half bare back. At this point I had my eyes firmly shut, due to the notion that whatever it was, I simply MUST NOT look at it which would have been difficult since I was lying and facing the wall, and not towards the door. Now at this point I could sense it. It was and still is difficult to describe. It was there and it had mass. I could feel it nearby only a foot or two away from me, yet I also felt that it was WRONG.

Some un-nameable part of my senses told me that it was somehow less than it should be. Now as I lay there experiencing all of this, it moved. It put something upon my back. It felt like a wiener, but cold and it stayed attached to my back. It had a sort of a sticky feel to it. I was a bit incensed at this so I decided I was going to shift over to my left side and open my eyes and then confront it which I proceeded to do, with my back touching the sheets along the way, and definitely feeling something between me and the sheets, right along my spine.

I was nerving myself up to flinch open my eyes and see it when I felt a tickling along my right side belly (still exposed). I soon realized what it was: a hand trying to reach over and get whatever it was attached to my back. The hand felt feathery light as if it was trying very hard to not let it touch my skin. The number of fingers felt different too. Like it did not have enough fingers, or no thumb attached to its hand. I quickly lost my resolve to confront it at that point.

After feeling it fumble after the attachment, I turned back onto my right side to give it ready access. At this point, my fear increased dramatically for some reason. I could almost feel its skeptical attitude about my being fully asleep. Finally, after what seemed too long, it reached out and took the thing from my back. I could feel some of my skin pulled out for a bit when it pulled it off. It pinched a bit. I was even more scared at that point as I suddenly realized I couldn't hear it breathing. There seemed to be some kind of residue that still clung to my back. It was placed along what would've been the bottom of my thoracic vertebra to near the top of my pelvis. Finally after a while I heard it stomp back the way it came in and exit the house. At that point I was so exhausted that I fell asleep again.

Naturally I was met with complete and utter skepticism from Mom and Dad. I persisted with the notion that it was for real. At which point my dad decided that I was no longer going to be allowed to watch some of my favorite T.V. Shows, (The Night Stalker, Outer Limits, and the Twilight Zone), which angered me to no end. That also taught me the importance of keeping my mouth shut amongst non-believers concerning my experiences of which I've had many more.

I've had a lot of predictive dreams since then. I've had the occasional vision, a couple of UFO sightings, eerie feelings, and some truly incredible hunches. For the longest time in high school I annoyed my family and friends by saying "Hello XXX" whenever they called, and invariably I was right. This was long before Caller I.D.

Now I've been in the military since then, (Air Force for me!), and I got to enjoy survival training for Combat Communications school. Therein I got to enjoy sleep deprivation to the point of hallucinating.

In retrospect, my childhood "night terror" was NOT a hallucination

Other hauntings by Moongrim

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Rhode Island

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Moongrim, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-29)
Hi Moongrim, I am so sorry to hear of your back problems. I hope they have not got worse, over the years.
I agree with DeviousAngel, this sounds like something out of X-Files. You never found out, did you? You mention UFO sightings? You never told us about those, did you? Do you think they could be related?
I know that this is an old post; I know that you are still around! I would be highly delighted if you would respond to my questions.
I find your account extremely interesting, so much so, that it is going to my favourites!
Casper_the_ghost (9 stories) (180 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-07)
Moongrim, yours is my favourite story yet. So much detail and well worded, I could feel myself being there. What happened to you in your bedroom spooked me out as it was so weird yet the way you described it was so good. And reading one of your posters-Indigo has experienced the same, was amazing. Also what happened with your turtle creeped me out as well, thanks so much for the fantastic read!
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-10)
You will be surprised what religious faith healing can do. Someone I know went to a Pastor in Stanger, South Africa. She had severe back and neck pain and could not walk anymore. The Pastor prayed, and the next moment she stood up and until this day have no back or neck problems. I like your comments and hope your back will get better. But why not just give it a try, you might be surprised...
Vanessanda (3 stories) (226 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
I don't necessarily mean that in a religious sense, but healing hands of some sort.
Vanessanda (3 stories) (226 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
It sounds as though your back problems are related to your experience. I'm curious as to whether or not you believe in faith healing and if you have ever tried or would think of trying it.

I'm also interested, generally, in hearing people's opinions on faith healing, especially under these circumstances. It doesn't seem to be something that I've come across here, yet.
gelflingfay (1 stories) (52 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-24)
That was a very impressive string of events! I am going to have to say that I believe it all. I have experienced many things in my 27 years so far and am interested to see what else happens down the road. I love the paranormal dispite the fact that quite a bit of it scares me. That thing on your back, placement and removal, and the pause that seemed to happen when it seemed to realize you were awake was a rather intense sounding moment. Wow!
Indigo (263 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-08-26)
hi moongrim!
Wow, let me start withthat turtle... While no expert on turtles, I have owned many of them (rescues mostly when we were allowed in this state) and now own a sulcata tortoise. These critters are FAST, and they're well known for bulldozing their way through walls, both external and internal AND through flooring, which is what I'm thinking happened. When you heard it scraping, it was actually going through a wall or flooring (I've had one box turtle that did this, as well as a chicken turtle), so please don't feel badly about reading your book instead of recapturing the turtle... Just an alternative suggestion...

Next, let me share a strange experience of mine that will sound pretty familiar. I was about 32, was a welder at a local factory and living with an ex-fianc
biblefreeme (2 stories) (137 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-08-19)
i think it most definately was extra terestrial rather than paranormal especialy as it was a military area.
nich (4 stories) (30 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-11)
Good story but scary! If I was you that night, I would have come running out of my bedroom, screaming... 😁 whatever that thing was, it might have planted something in you that causes your back problem. Might be coincidence, might be not...
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-08)
Good story. As a former Marine, I hate military brats...lol...
I wonder what the 'weiner-shaped' thing really was and what it left on your back.
As for the turtle, I feel bad for it and believe it was left to die in the crawl space. Bad stuff...
Thanks for this tale.
maaryia (1 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-07)
Oh my, that is scary. I'm afraid even looking at the ghosts in my house, when they scratch me is lots scarier, but your experience...wow. I never sleep not facing the door or open room. It's just always felt scary and not natural. Then again, I think might have been a bit scarier if you seen it, who knows what it could have looked like...
Vintage (3 stories) (18 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
ew! That would have grossed me out so bad!
This is an awesome story!
❤ / Vintage
(P.S. I used to dream about a headless, tailess cat from the time that I was 4-7 years old. I called him Tony. But I only relized how disturbing that was when I turned 11. I just thought that was interesting)
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
As to being bothered again? I'm not sure. There might have been an occasion or two again, but my memory fails me. I do think (but I'm not sure) if my younger sister ever had any problems herself.

But even now, if my wife sneaks to the bathroom at night, I'll wake up out of a sound sleep. Only if she just stomps normally do I stay asleep.

You're welcome Devious Angel. A military wife/spouse is one of the most called upon elements who support our troops, and often (unfortunately) the least remembered. And yes, I was shaking (after it left).

Nmg5789, at the time, yes I did. But it was strange in that it didn't leave any stickness behind. It was rather like a sticky note's glue. (I assume). But where on my back it touched, it felt colder for a long while.

And one side effect is that when someone 'gooses' me, I jump more so than normal, as no few pranksters have noted.
nmg5789 (2 stories) (48 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
I have a question. You said it felt like something sticky on your back... Did you ever look to see if there was a mark or anything left behind on your back?
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
Firstly, thank you and your father for your service. ❤ I'm about to become a military wife myself (Active Duty Army).

So yes...man, VERY freaky story. I believe that you were awake when you experienced this strange thing put upon your back. It sounds to be an intelligent haunting because it sort of interacted with you... I don't know what to think about that cat either. Just some very weird things. Sounds more like something out of the X-Files than anything! I'd be shakin' in my shoes if I'd been you!

Blessings,
DA
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
Very interesting story. Where you ever bothered by this 'thing' again?

God Bless!
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
"Finally after a while I heard it stomp back the way it came in and exit the house. At that point I was so exhausted that I fell asleep again."

Actually, my original writing was correct: I heard it NOT stomp back the way it came in. It was more of a NOT walking. I heard the wall creak a bit as it left, but the mobile home was usually quiet enough to hear the house cats stomping around the house.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
I alone, out of my family, have degenerative disc disease. I've had a couple of microdiscectomies to help relieve the pressure upon my sciatic nerves. (Both of them). MRI's indicate that all of my discs between the bottom of my thorax all the way to L5-S1 are degenerating to one point or another. 😕
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
This was a very strange story. One I really enjoyed. What is actaully wrong with your back?
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
Ever since that night, I've had buko back problems.

To the tune of two surgeries. Coincidence?
Samantha_Kyles (3 stories) (25 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
Now that was a good story. 😉 Thank you for sharing with us!

The cat part is weird. No head or tail? Wow, I would've screamed...

I feel sorry for the turtle. It sounds like to me he was "put" into the crawlspace and ended up dying there. At least that's the impression I got when I read that part.

I wonder what that thing put on your back? -gives you an odd stare- Guess we'll never know...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: