You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Closet Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

The Closet Ghost

 

In the summer of 2007 I was babysitting my baby cousin, Cameron. He was only 1 or 2 years old when this happened.

It was a really old house, with a ripped up old fashioned sofa in the basement. It also had an old fashioned wheelchair in a closet in the basement. Apparently, there was a man who died in that wheel chair. He had some sort of leg disease. The closet door is always kept shut to keep Cameron from fiddling with it.

Me and Cameron were upstairs where it was really hot, the basement is a lot cooler in the summer so I decided to take Cameron downstairs to play with his toys. It gets very hot in the summer. Utah is so dry.

Adorable Cameron was just playing his way out of his world, when all of the sudden, he jerked his head up and looked straight ahead. I looked at him trying to figure out what he was staring at. I looked over at where he was looking. He was staring into the closet of the wheelchair. The door was open. I looked back at Cameron.

He was now pointing into the open closet. I know that it sounds like the Messengers movie, but I promise you that I hadn't even seen that movie yet before this happened.

"Cameron. There's the choo-choo train." I tried to distract him. He would not take his eyes off the open closet. In fact, he started gritting his mini teeth and grimacing at it.

I decided that I had enough of that. So I picked him up to take him back upstairs. He was now growling, and at the same time I could hear heavy breathing a few feet away from us. That's when I BOOKED IT.

I was pretty worried about Cameron, so I called my Aunt (his Mom). I told her that the closet door was open and Cameron was growling at it. Surprisingly, she didn't think that it sounded stupid at all (but I did. How else should I have said it?) She said that she was two blocks away from home would be home in a few seconds. I was relieved to hear that.

Just as I was hanging up the phone, I heard a door slam shut downstairs. Literally a few seconds later, my aunt and my cousin walked through the front door.

I really wanted to find an explanation for that slam (I wasn't quite sure if I was just being paranoid or not). Seeing as I was too scared to go alone, I asked my cousin to come downstairs with me. She agreed to. When we got downstairs, the first thing I noticed was that the closet door was now shut. My cousin tried to open it, but she couldn't. She said that it felt more firm than just a locked door handle. She said that maybe a homeless bum locked and was holding it from the inside.

It was one of those locks you can pick with a bobby-pin and just as luck has it, I was wearing a couple of them in my hair. I took one out and gave it to my cousin. It took her about 10 seconds to unlock the closet door. When we opened up the door, we immediately turned on the light. There was nothing but the empty, old wheelchair in there.

I still am trying to figure out the outside possibilities, but I am out of those ideas. There's where I need ideas from you all. If you do have an idea, please post them!

Other hauntings by Vintage

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Vintage, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

ghosthater55 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-26)
one thing is for sure I agree with troyarn I also think that is a good idea for throwing that wheelchair out it is more dangerous you might think and mabye a ghost like interacts with it or something BE CAREFUL on what you do the hard part is trying to get it out the ghost may do something bad
swt_watermelon (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-12)
Holy, that's SCARY. I think the person who died in the wheelchair came back to say hi or something.

Take care
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-08)
Scary story and I do agree with some others that the child reacted strangely. I also agree that you should get rid of that wheel chair. Seems it could be more than an evil to you.
butthead (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-07)
sounds interesting and backs up your story all the more ~Vintage. Children often respond to people with the same expressions, and the child was growling and your friend claimed to have heard growling... I'm thinking it is all no-coincidence.
Im thinking that the slammed door was a result of knowing that the child's mother was returning, and so the "man in wheelchair" was closing the door and hiding moments before she returned, because he knew she was there.
I have a friend who's children claim to have spoken/seen another person/child. Once one said a monster but, that of course could be growing up and getting carried away... Maybe. One of them has been seen to talk to "nobody", and claim that someone was actualy there. But the response from the children was that of a pleasent one, (the children being about 3 & 6, give or take). Yes I agree with whoever said to move the wheelchair, to do it. If you really wish to help maybe you can get someone with experience to attempt and help send the spirit " to the light ". I have seen this done on an investigation with a spirit which was connected to a wheelchair, and sure enough, after that was done and the wheel chair was thereafter removed, the atmosphere was completely lifted, amongst any more disturbances.
Anyway, just a thought.
Interesting story, made a good read.
Vintage (3 stories) (18 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
I thought that it might give you a nice bit of information to tell you all that it was a rental for them. They also moved out a month later, due to black mold.

Funny thing is, just over this summer, I took one of my friends over to that house. I don't know why we were stupid enough to go. I think that we just wanted to cool off a bit. But anyways, 4 windows were broken so we thought, " ah sweet! Easy way to cool off!"

I stuck my arm through one of the windows real fast. It was still colder than ever. Then I told my friend to stick her arm through. She did, and about 3 seconds later, she quickly took it out.

"Let's leave. Now!" She suggested. I started sprinting after her out the yard.

As we got closer to my house, she told me, "I think there's unsettled spirits there, Krissy! When I stuck my arm through, I felt and heard HEAVY breathing!"

"REALLY heavy breathing?" I asked.

"Well, It almost sounded like a growl." she explained.

I don't think she was lying to me because I had never told her before that I had also heard breathing in that very room.

I've tried to find some outside possibilities, but there are no air vents under that window either.
shandi (9 stories) (86 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
I love reading experiences from Utah! I would get rid of that creepy wheel chair, I think you said it was an antique, they should just sell it and bless the house.
princess123 (7 stories) (186 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
wow I love this story, and yes I think he is still here and if you see or hear anything like that again try and communicate with him.

Princess123 x ❤
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
I have never heard of a child react the way little Cameron did, that would have freaked me out big time. I also have to wonder why your aunt keeps the wheelchair?
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
I got a very negative feeling from this story. I don't know what kind of man this person was that died, but I do not like it. Little Cameron was definitely sensitive to his presence and didn't like him being there. If I were that family, I'd get rid of that wheelchair!

Blessings,
DA
Samantha_Kyles (3 stories) (25 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
Wow! Scary! Oh, yeah, and I never saw the "Messengers" yet. XD

Well, it sounds like the man who died in the wheelchair is... Uhh... Not gone. He doesn't sound very harmful, though. Maybe a bit rough, but... You know, you should ask your aunt and them if they'd experienced anything in that house. Might help you figure out a few things. 😊

G'luck.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: