You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Garden Spirits

Real Ghost Stories

Garden Spirits

 

I don't know how to start this story but I am compelled to share it. My story is positive; we have had no negative or frightening encounters, but none the less most interesting.

My partner and I purchased this house in Orange County, Virginia thirteen years ago. The house is fairly new (20 years old), but the land it sits on is rich in history, both Revolutionary War and Civil War history. We do know from historical records that the land was part of founding father James Madison's plantation, "Montpelier", and that he did free several of his slaves who settled on this property. It also was at one time home to local Indian tribes (not sure exactly the time or tribes as there were several in the area over history).

When we moved here we noticed the number of wild animals that felt calm to visit us, deer, foxes, rabbits' would come to us with no fear at all. Birds like on our shoulders and heads without fear. The next thing that amazed us was our first attempts to plant potted flowers on our deck and to plant things in the yard. Neither of us have green thumbs. Everything we planted EXPLODED into beauty. We were rather floored. It was then we started kidding each other that we must have a "Garden Spirit" who is with us.

I can never over emphasize the wild animal influx we had and I felt it a gift. Hummingbirds would come in April by the dozens and had no fear of landing on us; bluebirds nested all around our deck and porch and would land on us. This phenomena still continues to this very day!

In the house we feel secure and safe. We do have flashing of electrical lights, we smell flowers and perfume often. We have never had an actual visual sighting of a ghost.

I doubt this will peek any ghost hunter's interest but I know we have something tied to this land that is very welcomed by us.

David in Virginia

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DavidInVirginia, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-09)
Hi David and thank you for sharring this nice story with us. I have to say not all spirits have to be scary. This story proves that there can be peace and happiness when we encounter a spirit. Sometimes we don't have to see to believe. We feel that there is something there. And I'm glad that you have a pleasent spirit. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Perd (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-12)
How lucky you are, what a wonderful place to be able to call home! 😁

Have you ever thought of trying to contact the previous owners to see if they were as lucky to experience it?...
DavidInVirginia (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-12)
Hello to all:
I just now checked in on my post and am rather floored that their are so many who have responded and commented... And I thank you all!

I will say that when we first had our special visit's from the local animals that we were a bit alarmed they may have been hungry and looking for food or even possibly rabid... But that was not the case at all.

"Masako"...I thought the same about the Disney movie and Bambi.

I also must say that the native snakes also found us appealing which can be problematic as either of us enjoy the slithery creature... But we do not harm them... I named the harmless two black snakes as "Jake" and "Jezabel"...they are enormous, over 7 feet long, but they do control rhodents on the property.

I again thank you all for responses. I was a bit leary of posting but we have long thought our experiences here on our land were interesting enough to share.

Peace to all,
Dave
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-09)
Fantastic story.

I think it is great to be connected to something historical and apparently well bloomed.

Also about the "ghost hunting" comment. Don't think twice about it. Not all ghost hunting has to be GLOOM and DOOM. Its stories like this that make ghost hunting a positive thing
ParaTam (3 stories) (80 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-07)
DavidInVirginia -
Thank you for submitting your story here! It sounds like your Garden Spirit was such a loving child of nature in life that part of him/her continues in the spirit world.

You and your partner revel in your new home - you have such a gift in that space that should be enjoyed to the max!

Blessed be,
ParaTam
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-07)
Welcome David with one of the most beaytiful stories I've read so far!

You must be right about having a guardian spirit around-one that has welcomed the new residents of the estate and likes the attachment you have to the place!
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
What a delightful story, David! Do the animals actually allow you to touch them? I'm no authority on the behavior of wild animals, but if this is the case, your home must be a truly enchanting place!

Welcome to the site.
MissAnimeOtaku (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
Wow! It sounds just like a place from a fairytale! How lovely! ❤ I never knew there were such spirits. It sounds nice... 😊
Silly123 (19 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
Wow - I am jealous. I am a nature person as well but need to look at birds from a distant... You are sooo lucky.
nmg5789 (2 stories) (48 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
i think that it might be indian spirits... They had a high respect for nature and animals and that would truely be amazing to have wild life be so personal with you. You're lucky! 😁
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
Thank you for sharing your story! It's wonderfully refreshing and it sounds like a glorious place to live. You're truly white fortunate to have such a lovely bit of land!

Blessings,
DA
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
Hello and welcome to YGS.
This story is beautiful. You are both so lucky to have "Garden Spirits".
Masako (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
What a sweet story! I am getting flashbacks of Disney's Bambi. Whatever presence or energy is there, you are lucky to have it. Thank you for sharing~!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: