You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Puppy's Final Scratch

Real Ghost Stories

Puppy's Final Scratch

 

This is really short, and it happened just before the holiday season of 2008.

Some background: Our youngest son has a thing for dogs. My husband and I prefer cats. Our son (who is NOT a little kid, but rather a serious Failure to Launch) has an uncomfortable habit of bringing dogs into our home and expecting everyone else to train them. I can't begin to count how many times this has happened, but the most recent one is what I'm writing about.

Now, to his credit, this young man has a compassionate streak, and he brought the dog here because he was just a little pup who was constantly being done out of his food by the bigger dogs where he lived (long and not particularly germane story there). Unfortunately, the little houndling got sick and died after a few weeks.

The weird thing is what happened that afternoon, after the little one had been laid to rest in the back yard.

I was sitting in the dining area, which gives a clear view to the bedrooms and secondary bath on that side of our house. I looked up and could have sworn I saw that dead puppy going into my son's bedroom. He was little and brown and a tail-wagger, and I'm pretty sure I'd recognize him anywhere.

That's the one and only time I've ever saw anything like this. I wonder if he just wanted to come back for a final head scratch or have I finally gone over the edge?

Other hauntings by libertybelle

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, libertybelle, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-22)
It could be, Ninja-cHicK, because the poor little thing never got to be an alpha male while he lived.

Still,for what it's worth, he's never put in another appearance.
Ninja-cHicK (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-12)
aww this is soo sad... Maybe he wanted to be the main dog (puppy) out of the many that were brought in to the house to be remembered because I'm sure you will always remeber him... ❤ ❤
lioncat97 (2 stories) (67 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-31)
I feel sad for that puppy now. At least the pup is happy on the other side. I hope your son can be happy with the puppy gone.
WolfReal (1 stories) (140 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-16)
Dogs and human relationships I think are proof of a connection beyond just the physical. Sure animals in general display this but it is dogs that seem to be the easiest to be seen. I watched a program the other day. A lady would go shopping or whatever and when she decided to come home the dog would get up and wait by the door. They filmed the dog and they filmed her. There was no ryme or reason to it. She left and came back a varying times. The dog ALWAYS knew when she was on her way home. How is that even possible? They say we only use 10% of our brains. Maybe the other 90% is being used for something we have no clue about.
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-10)
Yes, ChriiB, Scrappy was a cutie, all right.

As previously stated, I'm not too fond of dogs, but I'm far from antagonistic to them--one of my friends has me go with her whenever she has to take her dog to the vet or the groomer, because Princess just responds so well to me and it makes the trip there and back a lot easier when I'm there to keep her from roaming all over the car. 😆

Come to that, Princess always gives my face at least a couple of licks when I'm in the back seat with her.

Hmmmmm. My mother always insisted that dogs know who can be trusted--wonder if she wa on to something? 😊
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-09)
Poor Dog 😢.It is hard to see beautiful young animals leave us. Pets realy do know how to bring a smile on everyones faces. What you saw was realy amazing. Not everybody can see something so special. Thanks again. I hope to hear from you soon and take care
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-31)
WolfReal, you bring up a point that I hadn't considered, and one that certainly makes sense. Thanks for your input--I like hearing other points of view on my experiences.
WolfReal (1 stories) (140 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-31)
Id like to second the sentiment of the idea the pup was given a brief moment of respite from this world. I hate it when things die. Its very difficult for me to have pets. They are great when they are around but when they are on their death bed... There's nothing worse. However for myself, these may be the few times in my life I am remind I actually still have a heart left.
Sorry for the pup. What you may have seen was an imprinted memory or you may have picked up on something that someone else was wishing for. Like your sun. Maybe hit sat there all day wishing he would see the pup run through the door again and you picked up on these thoughts.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-13)
I am very pleased that your son brought him into your home and you were able to offer him respite from a rough world--even if for only a brief time. Maybe if Scrappy had been with his feline playmates a little longer, he may have come to see himself as a cat. 😊
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-12)
Actually, Kecoughtan, most of my experiences of a paranormal nature--not that I've had all that many, compared to most of the folks who are regular contributors to this site--have been pretty tame. It's the experiences I've had with the flesh-and-blood types that are scary (and sometimes nearly fatal). Unlike our friend ghostseer, I've not been gifted in that way--and after reading some of her hair-raising adventures, on the whole I'm rather glad I wasn't. The ghost of a puppy like Scrappy, though, isn't one that would scare me anyway, especially since he was always so cute and playful in life.

Even though he was only with us for a few weeks in a life that was cut way too short, I at least take some comfort in the fact that he was able to know, however briefly, some quality in it--having a warm place to stay, enough food, and playmates--even if they were only cats.

😆
❤ ❤
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-12)
Thanks for sharing this, libertybelle. I enjoyed it. It is a nice balance having you remind us that not all experiences are harrowing, bump-in-the-night scares. Thanks.
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-12)
I guess it caught me off guard--I've certainly heard of animal ghosts before, but I just never expected to actually see one.

Shiva, The pup (my son called him Scrappy) has not made any other appearances, which is why I just figured he'd come back for some specific reason on his way to the Rainbow Bridge.

Thanks for the link, Perd, and Kiran, I have a life off this site as well--I don't go looking for "new and extreme" experiences, I only record what has happened to me and offer comments as I deem appropriate. Being a rather dull individual, it naturally follows (to me anyway) that my experiences would be relatively boring, too. Sorry you were disappointed.

Surya, good to hear from you again. As I mentioned, Scrappy only made that one appearance, but I'd like to think he's going to be attached to my son--they got on so well together, and spectral puppies don't need to be cleaned up after, so it's a situation that sounds like a good one for both parties...

❤ ❤ ❤
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-01-12)
Hi Libertybelle,
This story really touched me especially now that I have a cat. I am sure it was the little pup coming back for hsi final scratch. We used to have a dog. Although I was never close to Roxy (dog's name) when he died, I saw in the form of mist stray past me. Nobody else saw him, I was cooking with my then mother-in-law when I saw him. It was late afternoon.

Kiran what do you mean by "but enhance your story more"? Your comment confused me.
kiran5070 (2 stories) (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-12)
better get new and extreme expereinces iam sorry but enhance your story more see you again!
Perd (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-12)
You're not over the edge yet 😁 There are many people who have had similiar experiences.

Http://paranormal.about.com/cs/trueghoststories/a/aa111703.htm

Animals and humans share the same energy, it would only make sense that they live on after death the same as we do.
theghostseeker (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-11)
the dog has yet a life to live and he is trying to get your son to help him, if you see the dog give him something special to help him on his way every animal needs something to show love and your son is his last connection with the world 😢
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-09)
Thank you all for your comments.

Even though I don't particularly care for dogs, I would certainly never harm one, and he was a particularly cute little fellow who had great games with our two smallest cats for his short life. They were always playing 'chase me' all over the house--I can't say I minded it, because it just seemed so to me much like human kids running around.

My husband is the soul of patience, and in spite of everything he says, he has too tender a heart to refuse house space to any stray cat, dog, or even child who comes to the door, so I think he felt a little bad about the pup's untimely demise, just as I did.

At least he had several happy weeks with sufficient food and no one trying to keep him from it.

❤ ❤ ❤
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-09)
Bitter sweet story libertybelle! I hope it was him coming for "a final head scratch..." as you were the only "family" he trully had.

Thank you so much for sharing!
Shiva (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-09)
Hi, am new on this site. But I was always looking for such site where I can share such experiences. This episode with your pup... Did it happen again?

Godspeed S.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-07)
AW! How Cute How can a Puppy died so young and his spirit came back and see your son to say goodbye to him but that was so sweet of him and yes that sound like he is watch over your son who love him.
Samantha_Kyles (3 stories) (25 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-07)
AW! The poor, cute little pup... 😭

Anyway, it seems to me that the puppy is watching over your son. 😁 After all, the young man was so kind to him, no? The pup must love the guy.

I don't think you're in trouble, so don't worry.;)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: