You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Nephi Canyon

Real Ghost Stories

Nephi Canyon

 

This is my dad's story and when he told it to me Christmas Eve (yes my weird family shares ghost stories on all major holidays, it is never planned just sort of happens). This story took place in Nephi Canyon and is actually two separate experiences.

One morning while driving through the canyon on his way to fountain green my dad who is of sound mind and doesn't use any sort of psychiatric medications or any drugs that would cause him to hallucinate (just had to get that out of the way) saw a group of three native American warriors on horse back riding a few miles up the mountain away form the road. He said to him it looked like they were out looking for something, maybe on a hunting trip, they were armed with bows and arrows. I think it might even be a residual haunting since my dad said they didn't seem to notice his loud truck driving by or him slowing down so stare at them. He said he watched them for about 2 minutes then they were gone.

That area is famous for having the mountain meadow massacre happen there. You should Google that for the specifics but as far as I can remember from school it was where a group of Mormon pioneers savagely attacked a group of emigrants on their way to California, thinking they were the US army coming to ruin them as a people. Anyways a lot of deaths happened there as well as the murdering of the Native Americans that used to live there. I thought that at one time I read an experience from someone else on here that has seen the native Americana's in Nephi canyon, me and my dad would be very interested to hear from some one else with a similar experience.

The second and most bizarre experience happened to him a few days before Christmas. My father and my step grandpa (his father in law) were driving home through the canyon when my dad noticed a huge dark see through shadow that was bigger than the Durango he was driving pass across the road and through their car actually pushing the car over across the road to the right as it was passing through. After the entity had passed through them my grandpa said whew that was close I thought we were going to go off the road.

In his head my dad was thinking "oh good he saw it as well, I'm not crazy" but then my grandpa said "it's weird though there is no ice and it didn't feel like we were sliding it felt like the car was being pushed. My dad said "didn't you see that huge black thing pass through our car?" My grandfather said no he did not but the way the car had moved was very odd. I would love to be able to give my dad some clue as to what that could have been, please only post helpful comments I don't appreciate any negative comments.

Other hauntings by shandi

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, shandi, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

shandi (9 stories) (86 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-13)
I don't think it could have been a dust devil, my dad's passenger didn't see anything but felt the SUV being pushed. There was not a pow wow going on to my knowledge and the native Americans disappeared living people (chris angel aside hehe) aren't able to just disappear like that. I like the theory about the wagon and the one about the bear I will talk with my dad and see if either of those things are a possibility, thank you everyone for reading and for your great comments 😆
JaimeLuv (6 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-12)
Your first instance does sound like a residual haunting considering they didn't acknowledge your father's presence. I feel like if it would have been a live person participating in a ceremony (as suggested previously) they would have at least acknowledged your father with eye contact or a slight nod of the head.

As far as the second one goes... Perhaps a wagon? If it was bigger than the durango than that's a possibility. Perhaps the spirit of the wagon and it's occupants gave forth an energy that caused it to have enough force to push your father's truck. If they (when they were alive) were perhaps very determined to get where they were going or very happy/emotional about the trip they retained that energy to carry them through as a spirit.
VoxMortuus (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-10)
I'm a Utahn too, and can vouch for a plethora of "Ghost Indian" tales in our state. Some of them might be true. My question about your dad's sighting has to do with the mundane, though. As you probably know, in a lot of Utah areas there is a Native American celebration of the tribes (Pow-Wows) like the annual one in Heber. Now, there are a lot of Natives in full dress that show up for those things, especially for the dance competitions. Was there one going on in the Nephi Canyon area during the period your dad had his sighting?

As for the black shadow thing that just about pushed your car off the road... The first thing that came to mind was "dust devil". Is that a possibility?
shandi (9 stories) (86 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-09)
Thank you everyone for your help. I'm not sure if black bears were ever in that area I will do some research about what kind of large animals used to be in the area before it became settled and most of the wild life driven out. My dad will be interested to hear your impressions, thanks again.

Shandi
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-09)
For some reason I get the distinct impression that the huge black shadow that pushed your car was the spirit of a giant black bear. I could be wrong, but that's the feeling I get. It's sort of made out of a black mist, moving quickly and very powerfully, perhaps running from the hunters or pursuing something.

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Blessings
DA
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-09)
You are right there was another post in here about that place but I'm not sure who posted it. It's no doubt residual for the first one but the second one doesn't sound residual. To my knowledge a residual haunting can't move things. It's just like a recorder playing the same thing over and over. Maybe what they experienced was an intelligent haunting being that it moved the car. Sounds like a great place for paranormal investigations. Lots of activity.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-07)
Wow, that sound like a good History story about indians I love history to read about it even thought I am part indian when I am white Lol, But its cool to see something interest. Thanks for let me read it. 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: