You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Face In The Ceiling

Real Ghost Stories

Face In The Ceiling

 

This story takes place when I was young, in the early 90's. I don't really know how long this happened for because I experienced this more than once.

I would be lying in my bed and look at the ceiling and see a face. It wouldn't just be a two-dimensional shape of a face, it would actually stick out a couple of inches to about the ears and it was always the same material of the ceiling which was obviously plaster, although the eyes did look like regular (organic) eyes. It would stare at me with big, wide eyes and talk but I could never hear what it was saying.

At one point during these experiences, I had too much of it and went to my sisters room and slept on her floor. After sleeping for some time I woke up and there it was again. I woke my sister up and asked her if she saw it too and she did. Now the both of us were freaked out so we went to our parent's room and slept in their bed with them with the face staring at us all night with wide eyes, silently mouthing out something we couldn't hear.

I don't remember if we asked our parents if they saw it too but now that I think about it, I think I taught myself to not look at the ceiling at night and do not to this day. The strange thing is that I'm almost completely sure that our house isn't haunted. That's the only experiences we had.

My parents built our house so we know nobody died in it and there has been no house built on this land previously. To this day I don't know what this was.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ico, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Insomnia_Shinsou (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
3 years ago (2021-03-18)
Okay so I had a similar experience just last night, I felt as though someone was watching me from above but I was too scared to look up so instead I turned on my camera and started recording, when I looked at the recording there was a white face on my ceiling. But that not the only thing, After that I will hear coughs or sneezes from behind me when there is no one there and something keeps poking my shoulder and back. I'm wondering if you have advice for me.
JelloOK (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-19)
All my life I kind of wondered what that talking face was on my ceiling when I was an infant.
Very cool that someone else experienced it.
It was exactly as you explained, an extension of the ceiling material. And it would talk and talk and talk but I never had any idea what it was saying.

I wouldn't believe this story if I hadn't seen him many times myself. Never really told anyone about it or ever thought too much about it because it was so long ago.

Very interesting your sister saw it too. Makes me wonder if when id cry and my mother would come in, I wonder if she could have seen it.
In fact I do absolutely remember her over my crib and the face still being on the ceiling right above her, but I was too young to talk or point etc.

Do humans lose a connection to another dimension as they age?
Or did she simply just never look up.
I personally believe that this had to be a 4th dimensional being.

Really happy I'm not the only one who experienced it, but now I really want to know what it was.
BlueBakemono (23 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-07)
If the walls know everything, what does the ceiling know...?
Creepy stuff, dude.
MattM (20 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-19)
ico- don't listen to those people who say you were possiblt imagining it. Almost no child at the age you were could imagine something as creepy or horrifying as that.
AuroraRosa (2 stories) (55 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-15)
when I was younger I used to stare at my white plaster wall and it would look like all the little plaster points were marching across it like ants. One night they suddenly began shaping themselves into a scary bird, maybe it was a vulture, that turned it's head to look at me and opened it's beak wide and flapped it's wings in a threatening manner. I hid my head in my pillow and when I looked up again the plaster had stopped moving but I could still see the bird only it was looking away from me now. That's the only time something like that ever happened to me, although I can still pick out the bird. It doesn't look real now, though, more like a cartoon stork.
Sorry I can't give you any real advice, just thought you might like to know that you're not alone.
Thedreamer (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-11)
That is scary! When you saw the face was it a girl or a boy? Do you still se the face today?

❤ Selinda ❤
ico (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-29)
One thing I'd like to add about this is that at that time (4 years old) I was afraid of the dark so my parents would keep the hallway light on with my door open so it wasn't like it was pitch black and I was seeing the vague form of a face. It was clearly in the light from the hallway and causing a shadow. I also sleep on my side so I wasn't staring at the spot. I would roll over and there it was. This also went on for years afterwards.
ico (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-09)
Freindlyghost34

It seemed to be male.

Dantheman

Thanks for the support.
friendlyghost34 (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-08)
Omg! I would've been sooooo freaked out! Was it a male or a female? FREAKY!
Dantheman (7 stories) (60 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-05)
ico, don't let them get to you, I believe you, its very creepy. I don't think it was your imagination. I have a great imagination, and even I couldn't "imagin" that one up. If you want to talk, my email is Pepsi.133 [at] hotmail.com 😁
Perd (28 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-11)
I have to agree with an optical illusion. At 4 years old, your imagination can do a whole lot with a whole little.

When I was younger, we had the popcorn celings in my house, it was easy to sit there and picture a face, my sister and I did it many times. With enough time and imagination I'm sure we would have been able to conjure up a whole lot of things.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-11)
Actually, ico, that is exactly what I am suggesting. There is such a thing as the power of suggestion. In that YOU told your sister what it was that you saw, it is highly likely that she should imaging the same thing, or something quite similar.
I am not trying to make light of this situation. I know how frightening it can be. I mentioned the photo wall in my parents home. That did not JUST happen to me in the living room. It also occurred in the hallway photographs and the ones on the dining room wall as well.
When I told my brother why I was covering photographs at night, a few nights later, HE witnessed the same phenomenon. Almost exactly as I had, and there were MANY details that I left out for fear of sounding crazy.
I had the plant holder thing happen to me as well. I HATED that stupid planter, but my Mother wanted to add some femininity to my room. That one actually spoke to me. Out loud.
Optical illusion. I firmly believe that is what has occurred HERE as well.
Thank you again.
ico (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-11)
isabelle261

Thats creepy. If I had actually heard what the face I saw was trying to say, I'd probably be sleeping on the couch to this day. Thanks for the story but you should have given it it's own story page instead of just posting it on here.
Isabelle261 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-10)
This sounds familiar!

When I was a child I had this hanging plant in my room. I hated the hanging plant and begged my mom to take it out of my room, but while she occasionally gave in, she was very into decorating and wanted it there. (For the record, if I have a child I will never make them have something that scares them in their room! I also had a creepy plate in there that she made me endure!)

Getting to the point, this hanging plant used to spin around, and then a face would form in it and it would talk to me. (I'm getting chills right now just thinking about it.) Sometimes I think it just stared. So I tried to hide under the covers and just not look at it. In the morning, I would look at the plant, and think that it must be my imagination. I was a logical child, after all. I figured it was just my eyes playing tricks, even at 4 or 5.

UNTIL one time, in the morning, in the light, the plant spun around, the eyes formed, and it said "Hi Isabelle." I think I screamed for my mother and started freaking out. I remember that it was clear as day, and I was wide awake. I remember thinking to myself, "my god, I'm not imagining it! I'm not dreaming it! That was REAL!"

I think I was finally so freaked my mom took the plant away. But even now, as an adult, I remember that one time. It was SO REAL. And I wonder... I wanted even then to believe I was imagining it, and so if it convinced me I wasn't imagining it, was it real?
ico (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-10)
whitebuffalo

But we saw it in multiple rooms. Are you saying that the ceilings of each room have a pattern in the shape of a face?
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-10)
Optical illusion. The plaster on the ceiling probably had a series of bumps and divots that seemed to represent a face. A silent talking one. I stared at my parents "photo wall" as a child and could "make" my family members speak.
Optical illusion. No ghost, just your mind.
Thank you.
ico (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-10)
ZUKISMOM

What I'm saying is that, and this will sound funny, it doesn't FEEL like a ghost.

AngelSeeker

You're probably thinking of A Nightmare on Elm Street or the Frighteners.

And...

Mike8bestskat8r

Yes you are paranoid. 😊
AngelSeeker (4 stories) (17 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-10)
They have a movie that has a scene JUST like that! I can't remember the name of the movie though it was so long ago. The only difference was that it would make things fall & was trying to kill the lady in her sleep.
Mike8bestskat8r (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-09)
scary, hey when you say face I keep imagining a blue mask for some reason. LOL now IM paranoid.
ZUKISMOM (5 stories) (58 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-09)
A ghost does not have to be linked to the house or the property, It could have been linked directly to you. Sometimes I see things and people I know have no link to my family or home. You may be a sensitive, like me. It's kind of like being a big sattelite dish that picks up random energy and msg's. It may have been someone trying to get your help or to warn you. I have had some pretty crazy stuff happen to me and most of it had nothing to do with my house or my life personally at all, just random stuff. I am sure it was very unnerving for you at that age, and probably still is. Dont worry it is not personal your just really tuned in.
Zukismom 😉
ico (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-09)
Tonith

Thank you for keeping a sceptical eye, I like it when people say "well it could have been this" and I know about matrixing but the face stuck OUT of the ceiling and it even had a shadow and also like you said I had a witness being my sister. When I pointed it out to her all I said was "do you see that face?" and she asked "whats it saying?" so she saw it's mouth moving too.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-09)
I know if you stare at a spot the mind will begin to matrix the spot into a face, because this is what the mind does when patterns. Now a ceiling is not usually patterned so unless its a textured ceiling chances are that wasn't the case for you and your sister. Being that you were not the only one to see it (unless it was the power of suggestion) chances are it wasn't something matrixed. I can remember looking at a coat hanging in our hall closet that I could see from my room and I would stare at it and it would begin to move and look like someone was talking without sound. Now that I understand about matrixing I'm sure it was all just in my imagination. It also happened to me at age 9 while at my aunt's house and I would see a man come in the room walk around and throw back his head and laugh a silent laugh. I would be so creeped out and finally get the courage to turn on the light and of course nothing was there. This too was no doubt imagination and matrixing on my part in the darkness. I didn't even need a pattern I just conjured it out of total darkness coupled with a kid's fear of the dark. Difference is no one else ever saw it but me. You had a witness.
ico (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-08)
Tydin

"it sounds like it desperately wanted to tell you something."

It didn't look desperate, the mouth would just keep moving casually. Although it's eyes were always really wide.
Tydin (1 stories) (30 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-08)
Ok. This might sound stupid. But there is something so so familiar about this story. It's almost like I had the same thing happen to me but I have no memory of it. It's probly just because you described it so well lol. Anyways, have you ever asked your parents about this? What ever it was, it sounds like it desperately wanted to tell you something. And going by the history of your home it's most likely something attataged to a object, or maybe some sort of messenger sent to you? Maybe a guardian angel? I'm sure that's far fetched but that's what my gut says.
ico (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-08)
rai18

The people who built the house were all family members, there were 2 contractors and they were my grandfathers from both sides of the family and they lived along time after that (although one of them recently passed away) and it could have been attached to an object we recently received but it only did the face in the ceiling thing and that was it.
rai18 (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-08)
When I was like, seven or so, I would get in trouble with my parents and go cry in my room. My brother had a room next door. Soon I would hear my mothers voice calling me -rachel, rachel, rachel, very patiently, in a strange tone of voice. So I would go downstairs and ask if she called. She hadn't. I'd go back and hear it again. My mom still said she didn't call me. A couple times it called my brothers name, we both heard it when he was being called and we both heard it when I was being called. I know that spirits are drawn to three things, people, places, or things. If the ghost wasn't haunting you in particular, (meaning it wouldn't leave you alone, possibly a relative) then it could be haunting your house (maybe it was someone who built it like a contractor or loved it, and they are attached to it, or if you bought something at a tag sale around the time it started or someone gave you a gift- the spirit may have been attached to that object.
acm_92886 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-08)
wow that's a little freaky! I don't know what I would of done. Just like torres9lfc said did you conjur anything. Or go online and see if you can't look it up and see what you learn from your expeirence. Thanks for sharing
ico (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-08)
Torres9lfc

I doubt it because I was really young, maybe 4 years old and this happened for a couple years, I don't know how long because like I said I think I taught myself to not look at the ceiling at night.
keekee404 (1 stories) (23 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-08)
Hmm that is weird. Maybe try searching the encounters online and see if you can learn about the experience
TORRES9LFC (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-08)
Sounds like a scene out of a movie. Did you perhaps conjure up a ghost or something?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: