You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Strong Smell Of Cigar Smoke And The Knock

Real Ghost Stories

Strong Smell Of Cigar Smoke And The Knock

 

I've read a number of stories on this website and compared to them, mine is not all that good. I have two stories to share. My first story happened to my mother and sister more so than me.

We moved into our second house when I was around ten or eleven years old. The previous owner was an old man who smoked cigars. During our stay, my mother mentioned that she could smell cigar smoke. Thereafter, whenever we moved house other than one home I lived in for a few months she could smell cigar smoke. She asked if I had been smoking but I said no and no one else smoked.

Another time this happened was in the house we live in now. We have a porch in front of our front door and my mother and sister walked in and at the same time they both looked at each other and said "can you smell smoke"? (cigar smoke in particular). The weird thing was that I couldn't smell it.

The second story I have was maybe a year ago when I was staying at my ex-girlfriend's house.

The layout of the house is as follows: Walking through the front door you have the stairs right in front of you. The door to the front room is on the right side. When you walk through the door, you are in the middle of the front room and the dining room. Turning left takes you into the dining room and then the kitchen. Going up the stairs you come to the bathroom straight ahead and then turning right you have two bedrooms, her sister's bedroom is on the left and her mothers bedroom is straight ahead, the second floor is the same with my ex-girlfriend's straight ahead. My ex-girlfriend and her mother had mentioned hearing strange noises coming from the attic. The previous owner who previously lived there hung himself in the attic. Her mother did go up once and saw the hanger were he hung the rope which freaked her out.

My experience was when I went to the bathroom, half way through I heard a knock on the door, now my ex's cat can knock on the front door but this was a hard knock and higher up on the door, so I knew it wasn't her two cats or her dog. I shouted out "hang on". When I came out of the bathroom. There was no-one there (usually whoever it is waits) so I assumed whoever it was had gone downstairs.

My ex was in the front room watching TV, her mother and sister were in the kitchen and her brother was out I believe.

When I came in I asked if my ex, Kayla if she needed the toilet, she replied no, I then said "oh it must have been your sister or mother", but she replied no they've been down here with me.

As you can see mines are far fetched to be a paranormal but at the same time I'm thinking who was it?

Thanks for reading

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Canyouseeme, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ChinaDoLL_09 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-27)
omg! This is soooo similar to what I've expereienced (you can check out the posted story "The Urgent Knocker") except that instead of cigars,
What I smell that time was a bunch of flowers offered during wakes... It's also funny bec. The front of my aunt's house also has a porch... She even asked me if I smell the flowers there...

Exactly a week afer that I also heard the knocking...

I wonder what it is that makes these spirits do all these smell and knocking?

😕
Canyouseeme (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-19)
Thats true jessica but this was strange, I mean it was cigar smoke and no-one near us smokes cigars and the last one I had was weeks ago.

Thanx for the comment though
JessicaWishon1989 (6 stories) (57 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-17)
hmm... I know for sure that when I was just down in Florida [my brith state] for my moms husbands funeral, I live in michigan now with my husband! But anyways, when I was in Florida, My gma came over to my moms house, and instantly smelled smoke! I nor my mom can smell the smoke becuse we are both chronic smokers. So people who don't smoke are more sensitive to smelling smoke! Or what may have you!
Canyouseeme (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-16)
Yaya I hear you Hobbyhlly:)

Funnily enough on wednesday it think it was, I'd came home from work and got in about 8:20, I walked into the kitchen because my sister was finishing my tea and asoon as I walked in I said it smells like smoke and she said yeh it does, it was coming from one area of mid-air, around were my sister was stood.

This wasn't cigar smoke it was cigarette smoke, I smoke but it was strange because it was like the smell was there before I walked in, I put it down to the food maybe smelling like it although that probabaly wouldn't make any sense but there you go.

To Phantom42 I agree it would be the previous owner and I can say nothing fell of the shelf or the sink because 1. There's only 1 shelf and that has 1 picture on it and 2. The sound deffiantely came from the other side of the door.

Thanx for the comments
phantom42 (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-16)
If the knocking sound can't be explained by something falling off the bathroom counter/sink etc., then I would guess that it is paranormal (because there is no other explanation) but I don't think it is anything to worry about. It is quite possible that it - as well as the noises in the attic, because that is where he hung himself - could be the work of the previous owner, because he died so tragically.

I believe that the cigar smoke could also be from the spirit of the previous owner of the other house.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-15)
I think you had spirits that did not want to part with their home.

I've heard (and don't quote me) that when a tragic event, i.e suicide takes place, often the person remains there. Trapped in their misery/sorrow.

The cigar smoke I believe 100%. I believe that former smokers can totally come back to enjoy a good puff. I know I will after I'm long gone (a little humor)

Thanks for sharing and have a good one

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: