You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: Trouble In An Abandoned House

Real Ghost Stories

Trouble In An Abandoned House

 

I was living with some friends on 500 South and 400 West in downtown Salt Lake City during the summer of 1996 when we heard stories about an odd house on 900 South and about 1100 East. Me, my Boyfriend Shawn and our 2 friends Shane and Tina decided to go check the house out.

I knew right away something wasn't right; the yard was way too well taken care of for an abandoned house. The lawn was neatly mown and the bushes were trimmed neatly, at least out front. In the back yard it looked like a normal overgrown yard. Shawn, Blackjack, our 3 month old Black Lab, and I walked through the open back door and discovered the second thing wrong with the house. Even though it was filled with garbage from parties there were no bugs or mice.

Before I could explore any further the dog began whimpering and trying to run out the door. I scooped her up and walked further into the house. He fought me until we reached the front bedroom. Then she refused to come out of the room.

The set up of the house is a little odd. You walk in the back door into a small kitchen with 3 doors leading off it. Through one door is a long pantry, the second door leads to a laundry room and the third leads into a dining room. Three doors lead off the dining room, 2 bedrooms and the front room. The back bedroom has a bathroom off it. The front bedroom has 2 doors one leading to a small hallway and the front door.

As I stood in the door looking into the back bedroom I got a cold chill and suddenly heard a baby crying. The floor was covered with black garbage bags full of stuff and I thought it might be a baby someone dumped so I began tearing through the bags. The bags were full of clothes and papers. I never found a baby even though I could still hear it crying. I know it didn't come from a neighboring house because on the west side was a house converted into a little pagan shop and on the east side was a fire station. Behind the house was a parking lot.

I walked into the bathroom looking in their for the baby and was stunned at what I found. The toilet was an old fashioned pull chain type! I had no idea the house had been empty that long. As I stepped towards the massive claw footed tub the crying stopped. I went back out into the bedroom. As I stepped into the room I saw a movement out of the corner of my eye in the closet. Walking towards the closet I got cold and felt an overwhelming sense of dread.

I hurried out of the room to go find my boyfriend; He was standing in the front room staring at the front door with a puzzled look. I asked him what was wrong, he jumped and yelled. When he had calmed down he said "I saw a man standing in here but when I tried to talk to him he walked out the door! Without opening it!"

I decided I wanted to stay the night and he agreed to stay with me, Shane and Tina decided to stay with us as well. We got sleeping bags, flashlights food etc. As we left I had to carry Blackjack out, once we got outside he was fine.

We set up in the front bedroom. While the guys set the beds Tina and I set up tape recorders in the various rooms. I carried a video camera and taped everything we did. As Tina and I were setting up in the front room we heard creaking from the dining room, we knew it wasn't the guys we could see them in the bedroom still. Walking into the dining room we saw the Chandelier swinging back and forth gently. I stepped closer to see better but Tina grabbed my arm and dragged me backward hissing "someone's hanging from the light" I couldn't see anything but she could.

Tina dragged me back to the guys and told them what had happened. The guys went to check it out but found nothing. Shane thought we were jumping at shadows. Tina stayed with the dog in the bedroom while the rest of us went to the kitchen. As we stood there the room suddenly got ice cold and a voiced whispered out of the dark "Leave while you still can." then the flashlights went out, all 3 of them and I felt something cold and slimy brush my neck.

The guys ran for the bedroom but I stayed put, I wasn't afraid after all ghosts can't hurt you right? Wrong! As I stood there I heard footsteps moving in a circle around me and a voice whispering "not afraid? You should be" and laughing. I laughed shakily and replied "you can't hurt me your just a ghost." there was an evil chuckle and I felt cold slimy hands grab my shoulders and slam me backwards into the wall. I felt a body press up against me and cold dank breath on my neck. The hands roamed my body pinching here and there, teeth brushed my neck and bit in two places while a voice whispered in my ear "I can do anything I want with you."

Before more could happen a bright white light blinded me and the Thing screeched and let me go. When I could see again my Blood Brother, Bear Dancer, A Blackfoot Shaman, was standing there. He picked me up in his arms and carried me outside to his truck and set me on the tail gate. He chewed me out for going Hunting unprepared.

I asked him what he was doing here, he was in Texas last I had heard. He laughed and said "I was told to come here tonight because Little Cat was going to get herself in trouble with her curiousness"

Shawn, Shane and Tina were already outside with the dog, they had come out the front door when they saw me pinned to the wall in the kitchen. They were going for help.

We went home that night but I wasn't finished, I was mad, I wasn't going to let a Mere ghost get the better of me so I came back the next night, this time prepared for Battle. But that's a different experience for another time.

Other hauntings by AmberMoonPriestess

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AmberMoonPriestess, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Nayo03 (3 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-15)
Wow, that sounds crazy (in a good way)! Now, how did your brother find out?
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-15)
Flame it is very possible it is.

Hello all am back. I will be posting a new experience on here explaining why I have been gone so long.
flamewithin (57 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-24)
could the spirit that attacked you have been the spirirt your boyfriend encountered earlier that day. Sounds like there is a lot of activity at this place. 😕 why a baby crying, I think I would try and find out about the history of this place
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
vox

Yes that's the name of the shop. Maybe she didn't tell her impressions of the house or any of her experiences with it because of the rampant disbelief running loose.

I DONT have all the answers on why I experience things others, even other gifted folks, dont.

I KNOW what I experienced in the house and I wrote it down just as I experienced it.

This is the last time I am going to post a defense of my experience.

May everyone learn something from my experience and may the truth come to the minds of those who don't believe.
VoxMortuus (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-26)
The "Pagan Shop" is called Gypsy Moon Emporium, and its owner is a 20 year friend of mine, named Rauni. I have been to that shop a hundred times to visit her or buy something, and she has never said a word about this "house" in the story. I find that very suspect because Rauni is quite psychic herself.
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
whitebuffalo again I apologize for my negativity, I have had several private emails that are rather personal attacks calling me a liar among other things. I am trying to give as much information as I can to help people understand what is going on.

I just don't know how to explain to people why I react the way I do to spirits and the constant comments from others about my arrogance, stupidity and other things is really wearing on me.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
Again,
I am not being negative.
THIS is what is called "drawing out the answer". In other words, I point blank asked a question that was side stepped, so I redirected the SAME question to get the desired results.
That is NOT being negative.
As I just added to a separate story of yours, if you do not want the questions, I will no longer ask them.
'Nuff said.
I get it.
My entire thought line was to form an alliance as I have a son who was christened a Shaman (I have stated this SEVERAL times in a variety of my own experiences...) and being as to how Shaman ism is SO RARE, here in the States, and YOU are in UTAH (That is STILL considered the States) we MAY HAVE had some kind of informal bond there.
But, OK.
I will STOP researching at this source.
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
white buffalo

He is Aamsskáápipikani, South Peigan.

I am sorry if I come off as blocking you but I am getting very very tired of every story I post up here being disbelieved automatically.

The negativity is getting very tiresome and makes me not want to share my experiences on this site anymore.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-23)
Thank you.

So your blood Brother is a Blackfoot Shaman out of what Union? Where does his bloodline flow FROM, where is his heritage?

You MAY think I am on the attack here, but I am not. I see that you have blocked me at every comment and question, save for this one.
My thoughts?
You WANT me to know SOMETHING.
BLOOD LINE says MUCH in the abilities of the Soul Seeker. It says MULTITUDES in the strength of the amulet they carry and it says OCEANS about their HONOR.
Thank you.
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-22)
whitebuffalo

BlackFoot

At the time of the incident that's what I thought it was no matter its strength.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-22)
"...a mere ghost..." You have a Blood Brother of a Shaman (may I ask from which Union?) and you would refer to a PHYSICAL ghost, (one who has the strength to manipulate) as a "mere ghost".
Interesting.
I will have to check out the rest of your stories to answer MOST of my internal questions.
Thank you.
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
smokey

I had nowhere to leave the dog. BlackJack was fine once we were in the front bedroom so that's where I put her to keep her safe. When I came back the next time with my brother I did leave her with my boyfriend.

The first time entering the house I was completely unprepared for anything more than an investigation.
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
devious

By the time the two things happened you mentioned I had already figured out the place was haunted. That's why I wanted to stay.
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
In this very story you mention bringing the dog back to the house for your "sleep over". Why didn't you tie the dog up somewhere? Have someone dog sit for you? It comes across as being very cruel to bring an obviously terrified creature into a situation it wants nothing to do with. Was it just you not thinking about your dog or was there an ulterior motive for this?

Did you take any materials (candles, incense, anything of the sort (I'm not sure of your religious affiliation so I'll leave it at those two things) to ward off negative energies?
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
"As I stepped into the room I saw a movement out of the corner of my eye in the closet. Walking towards the closet I got cold and felt an overwhelming sense of dread."

First sign the place is haunted.

"I hurried out of the room to go find my boyfriend; He was standing in the front room staring at the front door with a puzzled look. I asked him what was wrong, he jumped and yelled. When he had calmed down he said "I saw a man standing in here but when I tried to talk to him he walked out the door! Without opening it!""

And you still didn't think it was haunted? Hmmmm.

I'm not saying this didn't happen to some degree. This part I find to be much more believable than the second part. I appreciate you sharing your experience, believe me, and I hope that you will share more of them since you do seem to be a sensitive... But I think there's a little less to this story than you say there is.

Blessings,
DA
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-21)
Smokey

The name of the shop is Gypsy Moon and she specializes in Pagan books and equipmernt such as spell components and other items.

I had nowhere else to leave the dog once we arrived at the house. I did not know the place was truly haunted before we arrived.
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
Hi, I'm new to the board and this story caught my eye pretty well. I'm a little curious as to what "Pagan shop" owner would keep a shop open so close to an area with such a negative energy. Strikes me a bit odd, given most people who run those shops are sensitive to at least a moderate degree. And please (for the class) define Pagan shop. I've heard of shops geared towards spiritualism, crystals, incense, books, etc. But in my days I have not heard of an actual pagan store.

When your dog started having problems with the situation, why proceed? You're forcing your dog into a potentially threatening position. Dogs, cats, and other animals tend to have a "sixth sense" when it comes to the supernatural. So I would have to raise the question of what kind of dog owner would bring their dog into a "haunted house" against it's will?

>Smokey<
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
poltergeist its just a defense thing for me. The more afraid I am the more smart alec I become. It gets me in trouble all the time:)
Missmelanie04 (6 stories) (39 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-20)
Amazing story! I'm getting ready for part 2 now.

You're braver than most to go back after you were assaulted by that spirit.
poltergeist45 (1 stories) (46 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-19)
Oh my god this is an excellent story! To be honest, I would have done the same thing you did (except telling the ghost it can't hurt me, I know better than to challenge it). Please tell us the other part of the story! I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to hear it! 😊
ZUKISMOM (5 stories) (58 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-17)
I know, I know I am the same way, I am also trying to post a couple of new stories but like you said overcrowded. I will try again tomorrow. I will check and see if you have an new stories also. I have been surfing around and found the ED and Lorraine Warren website. The were the top investigators and demonologist in the country for years. The did a lot of quality work. Might want to check out some of their stories and experiences while your waiting to write your own. They did a lot of work with houses like The Amityville Horror House and exorcism's and the really crazy hauntings/possessions that were in the press years ago
Anyway just a thought
Zuksimom
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-17)
zukisom

I just can't help myself I just have to investigate any old building especially if there's rumors of activity. I don't know why ut I am drawn to the places that have the bloodiest pasts.

This isn't the first time I have gotten in trouble and I can guarantee it won't be the last.

I have been writing my stories just waiting to be able to post them. Aparantly there's an overload so no more new submissions until monday or therebouts.

I am used to dealing with getting in over my head. I am called Little Cat because of my curiosity, my ability to always land on my feet, and my height.

I have a rather odd family my dad had 9 boys before he met my mom then they had me and seperated and mom had 4 girls. All my brothers are 6' or more and my sisters are taller than me as well. Hence the Little in my name.
ZUKISMOM (5 stories) (58 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-17)
You are brave, most of the time spirits do not make bodily contact, you could have really been hurt. Sounds like there is a very very dark history to this place and it should be destroyed to keep people not as lucky as yourself from falling prey to this dangerous entity. I am like you I am a curious cat and do not have a lot of fear. I have explored old houses,prisons,and asylums here in my area, but I also know when I am out of my league and sounds like you might be with this practicular haunting.
I know I know, you just have to know what's going on in there don't you? Well if you do make sure your prepared next time with more information from your shaman brother on how to protect yourself. Please write next story we will be looking forward to it.
Blessed Be to all
Zukismom
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-16)
tkkchang

Thank you. There a second encounter where I return to the house to "play" with the spirit again 😆 it will be up as soon as I can post more.
tkkchang (4 stories) (21 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-16)
That's a great story! I can't wait to hear more...

I almost jump off my chair! I got goose bumps all the way up my spine... 😭
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-16)
Sorcha

We got the baby crying, a childs laughter and the confrontation between me and the spirit.

Unfortunately I lost all the stuff when my boyfriend and I split up, he took it.
Sorcha (59 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-16)
Wow!
What did you capture on your recording equipment?
Thanks for posting your story.
AmberMoonPriestess (15 stories) (158 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-16)
savy

The marks showed up the next day. Handprint type bruises on my shoulders and bite marks on my neck and a bit lower, family sight so can't say more 😉

Cholu

My GreatGrandma told him, shes been dead since I was 8 but still watches over me. I am almost 30 now. More to come on Her as well, shes in a few of my encounters.

Hobby

No to both. Acording to the lady who owned the store next door nobody was ever seen tending the yard, the firemen said the same thing.

Theres many stories about them but the most common and only one I could verify was a young man built it for his wife and children. A son 3 and a daughter 9 months.

The daughter died of a childhood illness a few months after they moved in and the little boy died a year later, followed a ball into the road and was run over. The mother hung herself from the chandelier in the dining room and the dad shot himself in the back bedroom.

The house has remained empty ever since. It has been used as a crash pad and party spot by kids for several years.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-15)
a few questions/comments

Was the house for sale or on the market? If so, maybe a realtor came and kept up the landscaping (my great aunts is totally empty but this CPA guy comes and has it mowed)

Do you know anything about the previous tenants?
Cholulteca (148 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-15)
Yes!, I look forward to hear more about this!, thanks for sharing!...who told your brother? 😁

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: